Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

ninmeister posted:

Is anyone using a Square card reader specifically with a Nexus S? I can't get it to read a card to save my life. I dont know if its a phone problem or if its because I'm using CM9 or what.

Would you install my Rhombus app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.cosmodro.app.rhombus&hl=en ) and see if you can get that to work? It works for me on a Galaxy Nexus on CM9, and it worked on a G2 on CM7.1, and a LG Optimus T, but those are all the actual hardware phones that I have to test with. I've received a few reports of it not working with other phones, but it's hard to get good debug data.

If it does not work, there's another app called Hertz ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.ac.cam.cl.dtg.android.audionetworking.hertz&hl=en ) which you can use to record a wav file of a swipe (doesn't have to be a credit card. In fact, please do not send me a swipe of a credit card). If you can send one of those to me, I can work on whatever the issue is. Of course, I can't fix the actual Square app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
Is it possible to use google wallet for membership cards? The payment part sounds pretty nice, but the real bulk of my wallet is cards like gym membership, triple A, REI, health insurance, etc.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've searched and had trouble finding specifics. I don't have an android yet to test (GS3).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Crossposting here -

I picked up a headset that supports Android, but I found out the control button doesn't work for Pocket Casts when the screen's off. It works fine when the screen's on and the lockscreen controls are exposed, but when the screen goes off it's worthless. Is there anything I can do about that?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

snowman posted:

Is it possible to use google wallet for membership cards? The payment part sounds pretty nice, but the real bulk of my wallet is cards like gym membership, triple A, REI, health insurance, etc.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've searched and had trouble finding specifics. I don't have an android yet to test (GS3).

There are only a handful of stores you can use rewards cards with in Google Wallet but I think there is a separate app you can use to scan your own cards.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There are only a handful of stores you can use rewards cards with in Google Wallet but I think there is a separate app you can use to scan your own cards.

On this note, I just installed Key Ring and messed with it for a few minutes. I could see it being pretty handy, but I've only got two "membership" cards that are barcode based. And, even then, I only go to one of those stores often (granted, I'm sometimes there 2-3 times a day because of work). I'd probably keep the app, if only for the times I walk over and leave my wallet in my bag, but it says it doesn't work well with laser based scanners, which is what the use.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So this has the potential to be pretty cool: Flick Widgets, uses the phone gyroscope to "flick" a widgetized area over top of the app you are currently using.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I use Barclone and it's awesome.

SumYungGai
Aug 5, 2000

ninmeister posted:

Is anyone using a Square card reader specifically with a Nexus S? I can't get it to read a card to save my life. I dont know if its a phone problem or if its because I'm using CM9 or what.

My wife uses the Square Reader with her Nexus S. I don't think she has had any trouble. She's running stock ICS.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

How can an app be using battery if it has no processes? My battery screen keeps saying that F1 Timing 2012 is using 19% of my battery usage, but it's not even running. I go to the app screen and force stop is greyed out, I go to running apps and it's not there. This app isn't running but after unplugging after a full charge it's telling me that 5% of my battery usage is F1 Timing 2012 but there's no usage details.

Using alarms or intents.

An app can have an alarm that wakes it up at predefined intervals or as a reaction to something (phone connected to WiFi). It does not need to keep a running service to do this - because the functionality is built into the Android SDK.

The F1 app is probably waking up every X minutes to update itself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh man, I just overcame a major obstacle with a library I'm writing for woofi that I've been struggling with for a couple months. I don't have anything to say about the next release of woofi.

I mainly just wanted to exclaim my excitement to anyone who may give half a poo poo.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Best "application" I've found so far is Google Play for music sync. My Nexus has 32GB of storage, but my collection is larger than that. Google gives you cloud space for 20,000 songs at a max of 250M each. So I keep my favorite albums on the phone and stream any I need. It's like iCloud except free.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
After a week or so of the new Swype Beta, I really don't like it. It's "laggy," for lack of a better word. I Tap in a text input area and it takes a while for the keyboard to appear, and worse, when I hit Back, and especially Home, the keyboard stays on the screen for a while before going away.

Ad as other people mentioned, not having the "shifted" symbols in the corner when you're in "symbol/number" mode is asinine. It was there in the old version...and it's even there when the letter keys are the ones selected, so why is it removed from the symbol keys? :confused:

Anyway for me to go back to an older version?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Since Swype Beta uses a completely different installer, I would imagine all you'd need to do is get your hands on the old installer, unless they removed the pre-beta versions from their servers.

edit: I get a data error when I try to login to the old installer so maybe it's not that easy.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 2, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if it's any different now, but whenever a new version comes out, they entirely break the old version so you can't use it as anything but a tapping keyboard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

After a week or so of the new Swype Beta, I really don't like it. It's "laggy," for lack of a better word. I Tap in a text input area and it takes a while for the keyboard to appear, and worse, when I hit Back, and especially Home, the keyboard stays on the screen for a while before going away.

Ad as other people mentioned, not having the "shifted" symbols in the corner when you're in "symbol/number" mode is asinine. It was there in the old version...and it's even there when the letter keys are the ones selected, so why is it removed from the symbol keys? :confused:

You can restore it from Titanium Backup without any issue.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just jumped into JB (stock) and so far love it. Since I had to wipe (when unlocking) I'm starting this party fresh...

What's the best twitter app that has a black background (not grey). I was using twicca on ICS and it was ok, but there must be a better twitter app out there.

Any recommendations?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

SumYungGai posted:

My wife uses the Square Reader with her Nexus S. I don't think she has had any trouble. She's running stock ICS.

No kidding.. hmm. I'm gonna have to restore my phone back to stock and see what happens. I'm guessing its either CM9 or something with the Voodoo sound control doing something strange. Either way thanks for the info.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Best free VLC remote control that works via BT?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I just jumped into JB (stock) and so far love it. Since I had to wipe (when unlocking) I'm starting this party fresh...

What's the best twitter app that has a black background (not grey). I was using twicca on ICS and it was ok, but there must be a better twitter app out there.

Any recommendations?

Plume has a black background (you have to change the theme). Best Twitter app on Android also.

TweetCaster also has a black theme., but it's not as good as Plume (doesn't come close IMO).

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 2, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Anyone else using scope? I dunno if I have something wrong in the settings, but it's like an hour late with all my Facebook notifications

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone able to point me in the direction of being able to install Firefox for my new tf300? Supposedly only the beta works on it but it says I'm incompatible with both release and beta versions.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Tithin Melias posted:

Anyone able to point me in the direction of being able to install Firefox for my new tf300? Supposedly only the beta works on it but it says I'm incompatible with both release and beta versions.

You could try Aurora straight from Mozilla's site. It updates itself and has better tablet support that hasn't quite trickled into Beta or Release
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Milkman posted:

You could try Aurora straight from Mozilla's site. It updates itself and has better tablet support that hasn't quite trickled into Beta or Release
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/

That did the trick cheers. Anything else you'd recommend? Not sure how up to date the OP is.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've noticed the lag too but hey, it is a beta at the end of the day. The best thing you can do is feed that info back to the developers.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are there any ICS/Holo themed alarm clocks that have the advanced functionality of Alarm Clock Plus?

Specifically, I'm looking for fading/gradual alarms and math challenge for snooze on alarms.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Gyshall posted:

Are there any ICS/Holo themed alarm clocks that have the advanced functionality of Alarm Clock Plus?

Specifically, I'm looking for fading/gradual alarms and math challenge for snooze on alarms.

Why do you need it to use the Holo theme? It's an alarm clock—you set it up and never bother with it again. I use Gentle Alarm. It has the gradual alarm and math challenges. There's also a trial version available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why do you need it to use the Holo theme? It's an alarm clock—you set it up and never bother with it again. I use Gentle Alarm. It has the gradual alarm and math challenges. There's also a trial version available.
Gentle Alarm owns.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Can someone suggest a flashlight app that doesn't turn the light off when your screen idles and doesn't also have ridiculous permissions? Droidlight won't stay on longer than 30 seconds anymore and the free ones I've tried so far either nag me to buy the pro version or show me ads.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Does anyone have any suggestions for traffic apps? I've tried a couple and of course there's always Google Maps, but there are a lot of criss crossing roads and highways and NYC so it can get very difficult to figure out which one is backed up just from looking for red lines on a map.

There are a couple of different routes I can take to/from work so ideally I'd like to be able to save those and then just be able to check their status. Anyone know of any apps that work like that?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why do you need it to use the Holo theme? It's an alarm clock—you set it up and never bother with it again. I use [url= Alarm[/url]. It has the gradual alarm and math challenges. There's also a trial version available.

OCD, mainly. Alarm Clock Plus is nice but I don't like the look of the interface :colbert:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter287 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for traffic apps? I've tried a couple and of course there's always Google Maps, but there are a lot of criss crossing roads and highways and NYC so it can get very difficult to figure out which one is backed up just from looking for red lines on a map.

There are a couple of different routes I can take to/from work so ideally I'd like to be able to save those and then just be able to check their status. Anyone know of any apps that work like that?

If you ask for directions won't it take traffic into consideration automatically and then just tell you which way to take?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It does, and you can even pull up alternate routes, which works reasonably well, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. Maps seems to have a pretty narrow focus and only gives you 3 alternate routes, so I frequently run into a problem where, for example, it will give me three routes into Brooklyn via the Whitestone Bridge that will take 45 minutes, 48 minutes, and 51 minutes, but I know that if there's no traffic on the Triboro Bridge, I can take that instead and go through Queens via local roads in 35.

I can back out and then get directions to a spot in Queens to check the traffic that way, but it's a bit cumbersome.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 2, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Guilty posted:

Anyone else using scope? I dunno if I have something wrong in the settings, but it's like an hour late with all my Facebook notifications

Even the official FB app is late with notifications. I wouldn't expect Scope to get it right.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Skeezy posted:

Even the official FB app is late with notifications. I wouldn't expect Scope to get it right.

Recently that seems to have improved, but yeah. I have Facebook set up to email me about most things, which go to a special label in GMail, and I've told the GMail app to notify me about emails to that label. Significantly more reliable than the Facebook app.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Recently that seems to have improved, but yeah. I have Facebook set up to email me about most things, which go to a special label in GMail, and I've told the GMail app to notify me about emails to that label. Significantly more reliable than the Facebook app.

Bingo. This has proven to be, by far, the fastest and most reliable method for me. (Doesn't work as well with Twitter, because they only seem to email me one out of five things

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Skeezy posted:

I'm talking like 30 min past the official facebook app notifications. Messages too. The messenger gives me my messages immediately, but scope decides to wait for some reason

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

ElwoodCuse posted:

Can someone suggest a flashlight app that doesn't turn the light off when your screen idles and doesn't also have ridiculous permissions? Droidlight won't stay on longer than 30 seconds anymore and the free ones I've tried so far either nag me to buy the pro version or show me ads.

TeslaLED, which has a donate version, but I don't think the free has ads.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like I'm giving up on a couple of things.

1) Chrome: This crashes frequently, especially when modifying text in text boxes (i.e. Google search page) and searching for text within pages. I haven't liked Dolphin Browser too much in the past, especially the whole gesture pad thing, but I'm starting to come around to it well enough that I can probably get by with it as my "open a browser" browser and the default CM9/ICS browser as my 'default' browser for search boxes and stuff.

2) SwiftKey: I like the huge keyboard, I dislike that it learns words that I made up while doing things like posting here. I know the conventional thinking is that the ICS keyboard isn't very good, but you can use a wacky spelling or a nonsense word here or there without the user dictionary picking it up and learning it. Even if you want to use some sort of intentionally stupid "teh bezt" spelling in the default keyboard, you can just push delete once after pushing space and it will undo it's replacing your word.

From what I can tell, it's SwiftKey or Swype or ICS Keyboard and that's about it. Anything else out there?

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like I'm giving up on a couple of things.

1) Chrome: This crashes frequently, especially when modifying text in text boxes (i.e. Google search page) and searching for text within pages. I haven't liked Dolphin Browser too much in the past, especially the whole gesture pad thing, but I'm starting to come around to it well enough that I can probably get by with it as my "open a browser" browser and the default CM9/ICS browser as my 'default' browser for search boxes and stuff.

2) SwiftKey: I like the huge keyboard, I dislike that it learns words that I made up while doing things like posting here. I know the conventional thinking is that the ICS keyboard isn't very good, but you can use a wacky spelling or a nonsense word here or there without the user dictionary picking it up and learning it. Even if you want to use some sort of intentionally stupid "teh bezt" spelling in the default keyboard, you can just push delete once after pushing space and it will undo it's replacing your word.

From what I can tell, it's SwiftKey or Swype or ICS Keyboard and that's about it. Anything else out there?

I use Smart Keyboard Pro but that's because I want the option of a T9 keyboard in portrait mode. You can turn off Smart Dictionary and tell it not to learn every single word you type. Maybe check out the trial version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Finally tried PowerAmp. No idea why I waited so long. It does everything I could want. Dropped the $5 immediately.

• Locked thread