Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Unicorn Vomit posted:

I got my hands on one of the fancy developer Galaxy Nexus phones that were released at Google I/O, but I'm having trouble finding a root method for it. It has build number JRN84D, anybody know if there is a root for it with CWM yet?

A quick Google shows a CWM-flashable root method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
^ Yes, that's it. You will have to manually flash CWM via fastboot though. Also you can just load up a new JB rom with root already on there. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849 (GSM phones)

A fresh Gnex from Google I/O, neat!

LastInLine posted:

Keep up with him in the thread (linked current last page because you just don't need much before that) and be part of the discussion that shapes the app you love to use!
Awesome, thanks a lot for the link!

give me thread fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 1, 2012

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
I have a rooted incredible 2.2.3 that I have neglected to update for too long. Can anyone link me a guide to get this thing to the latest firmware?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

JayKay posted:

I'm at 15 hours on the latest vanirbean build for my gnex and my extended battery is about dead. Over an hour of screen time and decent 4g signal the entire time.

From looking at better battery stats, I'm getting quite a few wake locks from GPS location services which was supposedly fixed in the latest release and goodies patch.

The battery life on my GSM GNex with Bixie's JB build is terrible, and it's for the same reason. I just flashed V2 of his build, lets see if it's any better.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

El Kabong posted:

I have a rooted incredible 2.2.3 that I have neglected to update for too long. Can anyone link me a guide to get this thing to the latest firmware?

You got the Incredible or Incredible 2? I might have a ROM for you at the office that's stock. Did the latest maintenance update mess up your phone or something?

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The battery life on my GSM GNex with Bixie's JB build is terrible, and it's for the same reason. I just flashed V2 of his build, lets see if it's any better.

Lately I'm hearing a lot of different people with a lot of different phones/builds say that what fixed battery drain issues for them was recalibrating the battery meter. Charge it to full, get one of the recalibration apps from market or do it manually, then let it charge down, and all's fixed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to get 180 degree rotation on JB yet (without sacrificing a mostly working ROM)?

Edit: also, has anyone tried Franco's kernel with JB? I tried flashing the latest milestone (stupid, I quickly realized), but maybe the nightly works?

hooah fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 1, 2012

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious

Just an FYI, the guide you posted assumes you have recovery installed and are factory unlocked - I didn't have either of these things (or know how to do them).

I used this method:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19864-vzwsprintgsmguide-ultimate-galaxy-nexus-guide-unlockrootflash-romsfaq/

With the SU Rootfix from here (since I was already on JB):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739180

...and everything went swimmingly.

This is the first time I've had to use anything other that SuperOneClick - there are ALOT of steps involved doing this manually.

This phone blows away my ancient Droid X. Any good ROMs available for the Galaxy Nexus yet?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fuse posted:

Lately I'm hearing a lot of different people with a lot of different phones/builds say that what fixed battery drain issues for them was recalibrating the battery meter. Charge it to full, get one of the recalibration apps from market or do it manually, then let it charge down, and all's fixed.

Except a Google employee debunked that poo poo like a year ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Unicorn Vomit posted:

This is the first time I've had to use anything other that SuperOneClick - there are ALOT of steps involved doing this manually.
A lot of steps: two.

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery [filename]

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

You got the Incredible or Incredible 2? I might have a ROM for you at the office that's stock. Did the latest maintenance update mess up your phone or something?

It's the incredible, but reading wiki it seems like I have the second to last update for it (2.3.3). The phone is acting wonky though. Is it possible to put the latest android build on it, is it worth it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

Except a Google employee debunked that poo poo like a year ago.

Interesting, however, I'm pretty sure that a battery gauge error isn't causing my phone to get hot enough to cook on, and BBS to list Maps as keeping the phone awake.

The V2 of Bixie's JB build removes Maps, and requires you to download it from the Market. It seems that today my battery life has been better. I'm considering just restoring my CM9 nandroid back up, but honestly, the stock JB image will be out on a week or two, right? I can deal with it until them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The V2 of Bixie's JB build removes Maps, and requires you to download it from the Market. It seems that today my battery life has been better. I'm considering just restoring my CM9 nandroid back up, but honestly, the stock JB image will be out on a week or two, right? I can deal with it until them.
Latitude wouldn't show my friends until I did this. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing Maps draining my battery like crazy?

I've considered restoring to CM9 too (mainly because of LightFlow issues) but Jelly Bean really is so much better and I've been in contact with the LightFlow dev and he's working on it.

Just to verify though, everyone is having problems with third party widgets not displaying calendar colors and not just me, right? I use both Android Agenda Widget and Android Pro Widget and neither of them will display colors for my calendars. I tried creating a new calendar and syncing that and the color didn't come across for that either. Both developers couldn't see where anything changed in Calendar API that would cause this but it'd be nice to know if it's happening to anyone else.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Eh, the notification light isn't a big deal for me. I just wonder why all sorts of apps can make it do all different colors, but the stock OS just lights it up white.

I'm also wondering how it actually works, is it just a small group of pixels like the screen?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Eh, the notification light isn't a big deal for me. I just wonder why all sorts of apps can make it do all different colors, but the stock OS just lights it up white.

I'm also wondering how it actually works, is it just a small group of pixels like the screen?

It's an LED.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Try the Franco kernel. I used it in conjunction with CM9 and actually got over 55 hours from my battery, although it dropped with heavier use.

Now I'm on bixie's JB v2 and the battery life seems pretty good compared to the previous version and even stock CM9. I'll try the Franco kernel at some point this week to see if it's better.

Franco did a JB version of it too:
http://minooch.com/franciscofranco/Galaxy%20Nexus/JB_test/Jelly%20Bean/

e: checked my screen shots, and it's actually 55+ hrs.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 1, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

give me thread posted:

Try the Franco kernel. I used it in conjunction with CM9 and actually got over 55 hours from my battery, although it dropped with heavier use.

Now I'm on bixie's JB v2 and the battery life seems pretty good compared to the previous version and even stock CM9. I'll try the Franco kernel at some point this week to see if it's better.

e: checked my screen shots, and it's actually 55 hrs.

When I was using CM9 nightlies, I used Franco and found it to be one of the best kernels out there.

On the JB front, I just switched today from Vanirbean 5 (popcorn kernel) to Droid Vicious V3 that comes with Franco's kernel built in. Last night in a low signal area, my extended battery VZW g'nex with Vanirbean was pretty much dead in under 8 hours with little screen use. I'm hoping the combo of DV and Franco will result in much better battery life.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Ah, that really sucks! I hope they fix it soon. Eight hours is pretty weak, particularly compared to the awesomness of Franco's kernel with CM9. From looking at the xda-developers thread on Franco's kernel, he has been working hard to get it working properly with JB.

On another note, are any of you Jelly Bean users having problems when flashing stuff through Rom Manager? It boots into recovery, but then I get an error saying it can't mount something. This happens literally every time, however flashing the same files manually directly via recovery it works just fine.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 2, 2012

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I'm having issues rooting my Galaxy Nexus. After going into fastboot and installing the boot image via terminal, the phone just hangs on the unlocked Google screen. I see that this is fairly common and after waiting ~15 minutes, I took the battery out and disconnected USB. When the phone boots, I have superuser, but rom manager isn't requesting superuser access and it isn't listed in the su apps. I went into superuser's settings to see if there was an update (it looks like I'm two incremental builds behind), but when trying to gain root access, it fails.

I've tried the rooting process twice more and superuser keeps failing to update while gaining root access.

Am I missing something completely obvious?

edit: I'm an idiot. I forgot to install superuser from the SD card from within the recovery image.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 2, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Go download the WugFresh Tookit for the Galaxy Nexus. It's the best app for rooting/flashing/restoring the GNex out there.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

give me thread posted:

Ah, that really sucks! I hope they fix it soon. Eight hours is pretty weak, particularly compared to the awesomness of Franco's kernel with CM9. From looking at the xda-developers thread on Franco's kernel, he has been working hard to get it working properly with JB.

Things were going well for me originally....was at about 8 hours off charger when I hit 50% but then something happened and my battery pretty much crapped out. I dropped the final 50% in about 3 hours. When I threw it back on the charger, I was around 3% left @ 12 hours off charger. For reference, normal battery life for me on CM9 Franco was 16-18 hours with moderate use.

From looking at better battery stats, it looks like I was getting just barely enough signal to trigger account sync, but it kept dropping in and out which prevented sleep.

On the other hand, it could be the fact I might have a battery that's starting to crap out for some weird reason. I might try switching back to my standard battery and see if there's any changes.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

I flashed Cyanogen 9 onto my (European) Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 (running 4.0.3) last night, got a bit miffed that it wasn't vibrating when I get a text*, and went to flash the recovery from the recovery screen and got an MD5 mistmatch error. I was told to do it through Clockwork, but that's no longer on my phone, so I went to get it back the way I originally got it on there (following this guide: http://galaxys2root.com/category/galaxy-s2-root/) but found that Odin won't recognise my phone any more.

I've installed Klies, stopped it's running processes (apparently that may have been an issue) and still no dice. What gives? I'm not too bothered about the recovery issue just now, but getting Odin to recognise my phone.

As you can probably tell I'm extremely new to this and in way over my head.

Edit:
It was on Vibrate > Never in the message settings :blush:

Abiggoat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 2, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Abiggoat posted:

I flashed Cyanogen 9 onto my (European) Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 (running 4.0.3) last night, got a bit miffed that it wasn't vibrating when I get a text, and went to flash the recovery from the recovery screen and got an MD5 mistmatch error. I was told to do it through Clockwork, but that's no longer on my phone, so I went to get it back the way I originally got it on there (following this guide: http://galaxys2root.com/category/galaxy-s2-root/) but found that Odin won't recognise my phone any more.

I've installed Klies, stopped it's running processes (apparently that may have been an issue) and still no dice. What gives? I'm not too bothered about the recovery issue just now, but getting Odin to recognise my phone.

As you can probably tell I'm extremely new to this and in way over my head.
For the vibrating issue it was most likely you forgot to ensure both Vibrate when Ringing was checked in Settings > Sound and Vibrate > Always was set in the Settings for the Messaging app.

Can't help you with the rest, sorry.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

give me thread posted:

e: checked my screen shots, and it's actually 55+ hrs.

That's pretty wild. I can just flash the kernel ZIP in CWM, right?

Just flashed it, and the phone is crazy fast. Quite interesting.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 2, 2012

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's pretty wild. I can just flash the kernel ZIP in CWM, right?
Yeah it's that easy. I flashed Franco's JB one last night and it's looking decent enough. Down to 71% right now after 7 hours of light use - mostly just texting with WhatsApp using wifi. (JayKay give it a try!)

Abbigoat, have you tried using just the Samsung USB drivers? Try it if you're on Windows. You will have to uninstall Kies, and ensure your device is completely uninstalled (check in device manager). I am not sure how it works on a Mac, sorry.

The drivers you're looking for are called - Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Moblie_Phones_v1_4_8_0.exe (softpedia link)

give me thread fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 2, 2012

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Looks like it's back to AOKP b40 for me on my VZW GNex. I was running VanirBean v6 RC6 (the latest JellyBean rom from JDKORECLIPSE), and it can't get a GPS signal at all, whether it's on Maps or Navigation. It just sits on "Searching for GPS signal..." with no activity for like 20 mins.

I've tried wiping completely, removing maps.apk from /system/app and reinstalling from the Play store. No dice. Some people on Rootz were saying this was a known issue, so I dunno.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Looks like it's back to AOKP b40 for me on my VZW GNex. I was running VanirBean v6 RC6 (the latest JellyBean rom from JDKORECLIPSE), and it can't get a GPS signal at all, whether it's on Maps or Navigation. It just sits on "Searching for GPS signal..." with no activity for like 20 mins.

I've tried wiping completely, removing maps.apk from /system/app and reinstalling from the Play store. No dice. Some people on Rootz were saying this was a known issue, so I dunno.

When did you last try it? GPS was wonky for a lot of people on Saturday. The theory is that the leap second was to blame.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

give me thread posted:

Abbigoat, have you tried using just the Samsung USB drivers? Try it if you're on Windows. You will have to uninstall Kies, and ensure your device is completely uninstalled (check in device manager). I am not sure how it works on a Mac, sorry.

The drivers you're looking for are called - Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Moblie_Phones_v1_4_8_0.exe (softpedia link)

Odin is my friend again, thanks :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just got a 3500mah battery in the mail for my Vibrant for $4 shipped (!)

I'm running CM9 nightlies, but the overclocking maxes out at 1000mhz. Nothing on the market seems to work to clock past that, but I've seen other roms (Passion for example) do stuff like 1200. Is there anything I can use to overclock higher now that I have a Jesus battery? What's the highest a Vibrant can do without technical difficulties? I saw some nutsos pushed the thing to 1600 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821514 but took down the link as it apparently wasn't as stable as they thought.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

El Kabong posted:

It's the incredible, but reading wiki it seems like I have the second to last update for it (2.3.3). The phone is acting wonky though. Is it possible to put the latest android build on it, is it worth it?

Here is an official RUU you can flash. Once installed you can download the latest version over the air: http://d-h.st/H0D

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

When did you last try it? GPS was wonky for a lot of people on Saturday. The theory is that the leap second was to blame.

I did a brand new install (wipe data/cache, renaming maps.apk, downloading a new one from the store) yesterday :(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Just got a 3500mah battery in the mail for my Vibrant for $4 shipped (!)

You probably got ripped off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I had the same kind of extended-battery-with-fat-back-cover on my OV and it worked great. This battery is working as advertised too, unless this is some kind of Vibrant joke. I had to go in and solder the loving GPS wiring on this shitbox and I still can only get a lock when all the planets are aligned on a full moon. Other than that, the price was right for the phone (free hand-me-down). Now how do I crank the thing to genital-melter mode?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am having issues with using heimdall 64bit ubuntu build with my galaxy s3. Has anyone has success with rooting the s3 this way?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm trying to root my Xperia Play R800i, which is running 2.3.2 but it's a no go, Androot fails and SuperOneClick just sat there for 20 minutes not doing anything. Any ideas?

I just want to get rid of all this loving bloatware.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Here is an official RUU you can flash. Once installed you can download the latest version over the air: http://d-h.st/H0D

Thanks for that. I'll have to figure out how to use it as I haven't touched this stuff since I rooted the phone over a year ago.

Edit: Never mind, this seems much more straight forward than I expected.

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 2, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I just went from vicious toro JellyBean v2 to v3 by only wiping Dalvik (in advanced), cache, and system (in mounts/storage). I've had no problems and everything updated fine. So if anyone was like me and lost all sense when 4.1 came out and started flashing the first initial versions like vicious TORO or vanirBean and want to upgrade to the latest versions but don't want to set everything back up because of a factory wipe you can do that for these little revisions.

Battery life has been pretty good, SetCPU works too (on leankernel jb). Just wish Apex launcher would get fixed for JellyBean soon. Or better yet, Liquid JellyBean would be perfect.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

yamdankee posted:

I just went from vicious toro JellyBean v2 to v3 by only wiping Dalvik (in advanced), cache, and system (in mounts/storage). I've had no problems and everything updated fine. So if anyone was like me and lost all sense when 4.1 came out and started flashing the first initial versions like vicious TORO or vanirBean and want to upgrade to the latest versions but don't want to set everything back up because of a factory wipe you can do that for these little revisions.

Battery life has been pretty good, SetCPU works too (on leankernel jb). Just wish Apex launcher would get fixed for JellyBean soon. Or better yet, Liquid JellyBean would be perfect.

Have you tried navigation? I flashed Jelly Belly 1.7 and while I am able to navigate now, it takes about 3-5mins to acquire my GPS signal.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

BoyBlunder posted:

Have you tried navigation? I flashed Jelly Belly 1.7 and while I am able to navigate now, it takes about 3-5mins to acquire my GPS signal.

This and a few other apps that I use on the regular aren't working 'exactly' right and actually made me decide to flash back to 4.0 aokp this morning. Which I really didn't want to leave the GLORIOUS new camera app (seriously, it is the best thing ever) but I can wait a bit for it to come out of a dev build and let the app devs get their stuff 4.1 ready.

edit: Also, I noticed that 1.8 jellybelly came out this morning sometime.

quote:

Changelog
v1.8 - (md5: 716205c762f96cabad4267bacfccad1f)
more speed!
fixed more wakelocks
fixed volume issue
fixed boot while plugged in issue
revised boot scripts for performance
fixed app compatibility (a few apps)
improved overall stability
fixed issue with reboots
improved gps locks
fixed dialer issue
minor bug fixes
requires at least version 07/01 of GApps!

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I haven't tried GPS since I flashed v3 last night. It was getting a lock within seconds on v2 though. I found a zip that apparently helps with GPS. Maybe you can give that a shot?