Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
gently caress all y'all

$400. Blast away...

Also has a $25 Google Play credit. So $375 :smug:

Now to figure out what to do with this bowling ball thingy... :wtc:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well at least you got down below retail price, and it IS a limited edition color back on the Nexus 7...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Your will power and intelligent shopping skills are awful but your dog is pretty awesome. Post pictures of it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I look forward to seeing them in SA-Mart soon.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I look forward to seeing them in SA-Mart soon.

Me too. Dibs on the Q!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the Q so expensive because it's being manufactured in the US? Not that it excuses it being overpriced and lacking features.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Welp, I put the tablet on eBay and it sold in 3 minutes. $349 :stare:

8 gigs was not enough. I'll just wait on my preorder.

I felt like a bottom feeder for...about 2 seconds. Then I felt like a very smart man.

Currently doing an experiment with the Q. Wonder if anyone will buy the thing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

8 gigs was not enough. I'll just wait on my preorder.

I felt like a bottom feeder for...about 2 seconds. Then I felt like a very smart man.

Currently doing an experiment with the Q. Wonder if anyone will buy the thing?
So what's the longest you have kept an android device?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dodoman posted:

Isn't the Q so expensive because it's being manufactured in the US? Not that it excuses it being overpriced and lacking features.

Being made in the US as opposed to China shouldn't account for a $200 price difference between the Q and its nearest cheapest competitor, unless their manufacturing process is so ridiculously inefficient that they are effectively hand crafted artisanal media streaming devices or something.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kitten smoothie posted:

Being made in the US as opposed to China shouldn't account for a $200 price difference between the Q and its nearest cheapest competitor.

hahah if you think that thing is competitive with *anything* on any level

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

So what's the longest you have kept an android device?

Haha. My GNEX actually. Overpaid for it royally when it first came out and now the resale value is like a 2007 Kia, so I'll just keep it.

The Nexus 7 did set a short-term record though. About 3 hours. That's cool with me. It's a nice tablet and I'll definitely pick up a 16gig one.

And people on eBay confuse me, but that's alright with me (and my wallet).

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Can you import your own epub books into the stock google ebook reader? I'm almost entirely unsure how i'd go about reading a book without fancy page turn animations:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sphyre posted:

Can you import your own epub books into the stock google ebook reader? I'm almost entirely unsure how i'd go about reading a book without fancy page turn animations:

If it can't I'm pretty sure the nook app is able to read and display random EPUBs.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dodoman posted:

It's a lovely enough product that a more paranoid tinfoiler might assume google is doing that just to false flag American manufacturing in electronics.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dodoman posted:

How do you define "manufactured?" Are the German/Japanese/etc-built components that are then assembled into subsystems in Mexico and then ultimately formed into VWs and Toyotas in North Carolina "manufactured" in the US? If so, yeah, that's a factor, but it's still overpriced.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Yeah, you could have gotten a lot more.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And here I thought that "limited edition" white back on the I/O model would just show fingerprints easier, not fetch a 800% price premium on eBay.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

randyest posted:

How do you define "manufactured?" Are the German/Japanese/etc-built components that are then assembled into subsystems in Mexico and then ultimately formed into VWs and Toyotas in North Carolina "manufactured" in the US? If so, yeah, that's a factor, but it's still overpriced.

I'm not too sure. The Verge/Engadget etc. mentioned that below the device the placard said "Manufactured in the USA", so I can't say whether the parts are assembled there after getting all the parts or whether everything is produced and manufactured there. I get your point though. The only thing it really has going for it is it's desgin.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lol, I saw that. It stood out in the sea of completed listings in the $300-$400 range. I figured $349 would sell fast and it did.

That idiot who bought it for $1,825 must have been drunk or something. Actually, I'm sure it was a fake bid so they could enjoy their 10 minutes of internet fame.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sphyre posted:

Historically, Google Books can only open Google Books books. For some reason they keep that closed up. It's nonsense.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Historically, Google Books can only open Google Books books. For some reason they keep that closed up. It's nonsense.

Yeah I was really bummed by this but was definitely able to import my own epub into the nook app, which does work really well. Unfortunately it doesn't get the cloud sync though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, iFixit tore apart a Nexus 7

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623

This one statement has me scratching my head as I haven't seen it mentioned ANYWHERE else.

quote:

Initially, the Nexus 7 was criticized for its lack of HDMI output. However, the included micro USB-to-HDMI cable solves that problem.

The Verge said that the Nexus 7 didn't support MHL, but it sounds like maybe it's not a hardware issue and just not enabled in that build of JB?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 3, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Also Google Books is terrible for footnotes. I bought a book that was on sale that had some, and it seems it doesn't do the whole "footnote is actually a link to somewhere else in the book" :argh: I have another book from the same author/publisher on Kindle and it works fine.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I dunno how it looks for tablets, but FB reader is the poo poo.

Calibre->Dropbox->FB reader has made sourcing reading materials from all over a breeze

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

This one statement has me scratching my head as I haven't seen it mentioned ANYWHERE else.

The Verge said that the Nexus 7 didn't support MHL, but it sounds like maybe it's not a hardware issue and just not enabled in that build of JB?

I wonde where they got this cord. There were but four things in my Nexus 7 box: the tablet, a micro-to-regular USB cord, the wall charger, and a warranty card.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Awesome, it looks like whilst there's no rear access panel to the unit, it's a piece of cake to replace the battery. Very encouraging :)

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006
Hah, I just noticed Google billed my CC on the 29th for my N7 preorder, had to go back into gmail and confirm that it was indeed a device that dinged the CC. Anyhow in big red font across the top of the reciept it says "You've made a purchase on Google Play. You will not be charged until your order has shipped" Anybody else see'n any action?

This freaking nookie(CM9) is making me crazy, on a good day I can open two tabs without crashing the browser and grinding to a halt. Any kind 'a luck and i'll be posting about what a great little tablet google makes in a day or two!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

potentiometer posted:

Hah, I just noticed Google billed my CC on the 29th for my N7 preorder, had to go back into gmail and confirm that it was indeed a device that dinged the CC. Anyhow in big red font across the top of the reciept it says "You've made a purchase on Google Play. You will not be charged until your order has shipped" Anybody else see'n any action?

This freaking nookie(CM9) is making me crazy, on a good day I can open two tabs without crashing the browser and grinding to a halt. Any kind 'a luck and i'll be posting about what a great little tablet google makes in a day or two!

Are you sure it's not just a hold on your account? I've had it in the "Pending Charges" of my Amex account since a minute or two after I ordered.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Are you sure it's not just a hold on your account? I've had it in the "Pending Charges" of my Amex account since a minute or two after I ordered.

Same thing for mine. It's probably just a temporary hold.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Same here. I got all excited about it and then it disappeared yesterday.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Same thing for mine. It's probably just a temporary hold.

drat you guys...

kinda threw me till I talked to one of the lovely creatures at the bank and had her explain this "PA" thingy, the math works but the $$ is apparently somewhere in the cloud. gently caress it, i'm still holdin' out for sooner than later, eh, I probably should throw CM7 back on nookie anyhow, it just don't have the horsepower for CM9.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What can i do about an image burn? My TFP201 has a faint burn of the on screen keyboard in landscape mode. It's really faint, but stands out on like the grey background of the amazon app store.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The usual recommendation is to find a way to fill the screen with white for a few minutes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rastor posted:

The usual recommendation is to find a way to fill the screen with white for a few minutes.

Kiddies drawing apps are good for this.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyway to find the notification bar at the bottom of the screen or can that only be done through a custom rom?

I just made a white sheet in Sketchbook Express and set it as my wallpaper. Now I can just select a home screen with no icons on it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SlayVus posted:

Anyway to find the notification bar at the bottom of the screen or can that only be done through a custom rom?

I just made a white sheet in Sketchbook Express and set it as my wallpaper. Now I can just select a home screen with no icons on it.

An app called White Screen Flashlight might be able to do what you need. I don't have a phone with on screen buttons but I would imagine all you'll have on the screen will be tiny faint doors where the buttons are. I don't think there is a way to get rid of the button bar.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of burn-in and ghosting...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/03/the-nexus-7-has-surprisingly-bad-display-ghosting-just-take-a-look-at-these-photos/

The article doesn't say this makes the tablet bad just...can't really ignore it.

Apparently, the default Jelly Bean wallpaper also causes this.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ouch.

I love that the fanboys are trying to downplay and very significant problem.

quote:

Does it ruin the tablet? Of course not. Is it one of those things that just cannot be unseen? Yep. Then again, for $200, we weren't expecting the world out of the Nexus 7's display, though I can't say we were expecting this, either. We have no idea if this is affecting all units, but two suggests at least some significant portion have this problem. It could very well just be a natural behavior of the display panel ASUS and Google chose. We don't know - and we won't know more until ASUS or Google comment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The new Macbook Pro has the issue as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/25/retina_display_image_retention_reported_by_new_macbook_pro_owners.html

Some sort of image persistence is going to be unavoidable on IPS displays. We'll just have to see how bad it really is on the shipping units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I just noticed the ghosting on mine too this morning and I just figured it was something wrong with mine that I need to address with the manufacturer.

I spent 5-10 minutes typing an email. When I exited the mail app I saw a faint outline of each key on the keyboard, as well as the autocorrect suggestion bar. It faded after a minute or two.

I am planning on getting in touch with Google/Asus/whoever after the holiday and opening a support case about it.