Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I remember wondering why Harry kept wearing jumpers in the first few books. Everything else was clear from context, but my mind's eye always interpreted that as little girl's clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I just finished re-reading Deathly Hallows and was sort of just googling about when I ran across this. It's really short but J.K. wrote it so it's canonical and I thought it might be of interest. Just a little "prequel" story:

http://www.hpprogs.com/2008/06/11/jk-rowlings-800-word-potter-prequel-now-online/

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Danzou posted:

I remember wondering why Harry kept wearing jumpers in the first few books. Everything else was clear from context, but my mind's eye always interpreted that as little girl's clothing.

I didn't know what a jumper was as a kid, I think I pictured it as having stripes, that's about it. That being said, it was probably a good thing I read the American versions, my poor little brain would have been so confused.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I just finished re-reading Deathly Hallows and was sort of just googling about when I ran across this. It's really short but J.K. wrote it so it's canonical and I thought it might be of interest. Just a little "prequel" story:

http://www.hpprogs.com/2008/06/11/jk-rowlings-800-word-potter-prequel-now-online/

I hadn't seen that before and quite enjoyed it. I'm glad my husband either didn't notice or didn't say anything about the dopey grin I'm sure I had while I read it...

Thanks!

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FoxxorTheRed posted:

Thanks for this. I think I'd heard of it a while ago but never actually had the chance to read it.

Now I want to change my name to Elvendork.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

Now I want to change my name to Elvendork.

It should have been a name option for Pottermore.

Speaking of, anyone care about the House Cup?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

SassySally posted:

I was excited about Pottermore in the beginning and I feel like I should, but ... meh.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
I wish they'd post one chapter a week, instead of a book per year...

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

SassySally posted:

It should have been a name option for Pottermore.

I should be but I haven't even been sorted yet since I keep procrastinating getting there.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blight posted:

I wish they'd post one chapter a week, instead of a book per year...

I know, I don't understand what kind of twisted logic is behind that idea. Six more years to be finished with the series, and only a weekend's worth of content each year? I mean, I guess there will probably be successively more content with each book, both as they get longer and as background characters come to the fore (I'll bet characters like, say, Parvati Patil whose whole character page is "Parvati Patil is a Gryffindor in Harry's year at Hogwarts" get more behind-the-scenes content as they start to get more than two or three lines per book), but still, that's just a few days out of the year.

I guess it makes sense in a "doing each year with Harry" thing but still. For a silly thing to waste time with, six years is asking way to much of our attention spans.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Have they actually come out and said they're doing a book a year? If so, dear god. By that time my daughter will be old enough to have read the books and will be waiting along with me. Which is kind of :3: , but still.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

That they delayed it so much in opening it to the public makes me think there's some technical stuff they still want to resolve before proceeding to the next chapter. No doubt there are people working on the website that know full well that they continue to lose a lot of enthusiasm for this entire project the longer they wait to update. Whatever is causing the delay at this point, it's probably not deliberate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Olivia42 posted:

That they delayed it so much in opening it to the public makes me think there's some technical stuff they still want to resolve before proceeding to the next chapter. No doubt there are people working on the website that know full well that they continue to lose a lot of enthusiasm for this entire project the longer they wait to update. Whatever is causing the delay at this point, it's probably not deliberate.

Or it is deliberate, and it's because the people at the top are completely disconnected from internet reality, as Rowling seems to be. Either is possible.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Pottermore is super bad. It's like a bad version of a point and click adventure from the late 90s. It seems like it was either made for as cheap as possible or someone with a good connection to Rowling is making bank.

The concept is really good but the execution is appalling. For a property that makes as much money as Harry Potter does you would think they'd invest a little more into Pottermore. It seems like almost an afterthought rather than what could potentially extend the profitability of the franchise for a few more years.

Rowling is shockingly bad at the internet for someone who the internet has helped tremendously. I don't think Harry Potter fandom would be where it is today if it wasn't for internet communities

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

Pottermore is super bad. It's like a bad version of a point and click adventure from the late 90s. It seems like it was either made for as cheap as possible or someone with a good connection to Rowling is making bank.

I completely agree. It is like point and click hell. Which to me didn't make sense especially since the Harry Potter film video games done by EA were really good, in my personal opinion. Although I suppose that was more W.B. than J.K. since they're film based, not book based. But anyway, for obsessive fans like myself, point and click hell is the price we pay to get cool new content.. :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I found this to be the funniest loving thing:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but it's worth noting that the notes Snape put down were improvements over what the book was teaching even years later. If that poo poo had been documented, I'm pretty sure Hermione's response wouldn't have been "Where the hell did you come up with that" every time Harry massively outperformed her. Even if he was experimenting because he was alone/sad/whatever, he was creating massive improvements to potions while he was a teenager in school. The notes he had were good enough that Harry went from Crap to Best of Class just by following them, which implies they were some really god damned good notes.

It's also worth noting that for all Snape's complaining, he actually wasn't that good at Defense against the Dark Arts. When he was teaching about the magical creatures he got stuff wrong and taught students the wrong information. (And Rowling points this out in one of the for-charity Hogwarts textbooks.) He was good at curses and dark arts but those were clearly the parts he cared about. It's kind of an evolution of his thing with Lily. He sure wanted her but he was a pretty bad fit.

Something related to this has actually been bugging me a fair bit, though it might be due to my selective memory, and I think Red Hen touched on it in one of their essays, though I'm not sure exactly which one.

Basically none of the kids in Harry's generation actually seem good, or extremely imaginative at magic. Harry and Ron get through their entire life with somewhere around 8 spells, most of which they learned in their first two years. Hermione seems like a child prodigy but then the only person saying this is Hagrid; and Hermione just learns spells from books several years before she's meant to.

On the other hand you have the Marauders all learning to become Animagi before year 5 as well as making a map that just breaks Hogwarts. Snape just starts inventing spells and revolutionizing potion making, albeit secretly. In fact the only pepole in Harry's year group who comes close are Fred and George.

And that's not even getting into the magic the older wizards start showing off whenever they duel, or literally anything Mcgonagall does.

I mean I know why it's the case (they're kids), and the exact time Hermione could have started shining she was off being a glorified home security agent and bread thief, but it just bugs me.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Similarly, I couldn't stand how utterly bone idle most muggle born characters (and Harry) were. I know it's playing on the readers feelings of "booo school sucks :(", but this isn't geography it's loving magic! You've spent 11 years in a normal world and now you can learn to make poo poo fly with your mind, you have no right to go "ugh homewoooooooork"!

Also Harry's inability to work and do basic stuff and yet be awesome at patronus' and stuff was always kinda irregular. Then again occlumency addresses that but his failure ends up becoming an asset so he's proved right against everybody's judgement.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Szmitten posted:

Similarly, I couldn't stand how utterly bone idle most muggle born characters (and Harry) were. I know it's playing on the readers feelings of "booo school sucks :(", but this isn't geography it's loving magic! You've spent 11 years in a normal world and now you can learn to make poo poo fly with your mind, you have no right to go "ugh homewoooooooork"!

Also Harry's inability to work and do basic stuff and yet be awesome at patronus' and stuff was always kinda irregular. Then again occlumency addresses that but his failure ends up becoming an asset so he's proved right against everybody's judgement.

And that's why I've decided to not study and somehow eventually capitalize on my naturally ineptitude at everything. :smugdog:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What annoys me is how incurious everyone is about magic. You say "wingardium leviOsa," swish and flick your wand, and poo poo flies. How the gently caress does that work? What connection is there between your brain or mouth and the object you're pointing your wand at? It's so different from any other phenomenon that the Muggle-raised children have ever seen before; how come none of them say "hey Flitwick, why the gently caress does saying some words make poo poo fly?"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DontMockMySmock posted:

What annoys me is how incurious everyone is about magic. You say "wingardium leviOsa," swish and flick your wand, and poo poo flies. How the gently caress does that work? What connection is there between your brain or mouth and the object you're pointing your wand at? It's so different from any other phenomenon that the Muggle-raised children have ever seen before; how come none of them say "hey Flitwick, why the gently caress does saying some words make poo poo fly?"

Because it's magic, duh! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, giving it bullshit explanation like midichlorians wouldn't help anyone.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

"hey Flitwick, why the gently caress does saying some words make poo poo fly?"

"They don't pay me enough galleons to teach you little dunces that poo poo, go to magic college if you want to know."

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Agreed. Then you throw in it the fact that they can cast spells and curses without even saying anything at other times. How the hell does that work? How do you know which spell you're casting if you just point your wand randomly at something?

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
I guess it's a reason why they are told not to carry their wand in their back pocket.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Blight posted:

I guess it's a reason why they are told not to carry their wand in their back pocket.

Yeah, Mad-Eye makes a warning similar to ones I've heard about not keeping a loaded pistol in your waistband. As for silently casting spells, I think they talked about it in one of the later books, where it's something very tricky that takes a lot of skill and practice.

In short: A wizard did it.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I thought they actually explained the whole spells/words thing. Basically, you don't actually need to say the words, but they act as a kind of mental focus that kind of reinforces your energy or magic or whatever. More advanced wizards don't need to actually say words because they're...more advanced.

Or did I pull that out of my rear end?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Seriously though, giving it bullshit explanation like midichlorians wouldn't help anyone.

I pretty much agree; doesn't stop it from bothering me, though. In Star Wars no one questions it because it's this thing that's always been around; it's the Muggle-raised real world -> wizarding world transition that ought to raise questions. Personally I think the best answer would be Flitwick telling the kids that no one knows why magic works, it just does, and we can figure out some rules for how it works but they don't even know much about that yet.

Another thing that bothers me about the Hogwarts education is a complete lack of classes about non-magical things. Literature, physics, algebra, non-magical history, etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DontMockMySmock posted:

I pretty much agree; doesn't stop it from bothering me, though. In Star Wars no one questions it because it's this thing that's always been around; it's the Muggle-raised real world -> wizarding world transition that ought to raise questions. Personally I think the best answer would be Flitwick telling the kids that no one knows why magic works, it just does, and we can figure out some rules for how it works but they don't even know much about that yet.

Another thing that bothers me about the Hogwarts education is a complete lack of classes about non-magical things. Literature, physics, algebra, non-magical history, etc.

Most Wizards do not give a flying gently caress about those. They have their own everything and do not bother with Muggle poo poo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DontMockMySmock posted:

That always bothered me, too. If you don't have a proper education beyond primary school, your spelling/grammar/reading comprehension's going to be poo poo. The closest thing they had was magical history, because gently caress the rest of the world, when will we ever need to know about World War II.

edit: Science and math, I could see not having, though. One outright does not work, and when do you use advanced math in real life anyway?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Szmitten posted:

It's even worse in the case of Harry. He is literally trapped in an abusive household with no real hope of future, gets literally saved by a wizard and put into a world where he has every opportunity to succeed?

Fucks about and cheats on his homework.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Homework is homework no matter what it is. No kid wants to do homework.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, it's like how I hated reading my school books, but have a personal library of over 300 books and spend about half my free time reading for fun. Anything can suck if you have to do it for class, so that never really bothered me.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know, I can't imagine having such a limited curiosity when you discover there is a secret magical world.

Thankfully he had Hermoine to carry him through academics.

I get why Rowling wrote them as she did, but it just makes Harry look so incredibly ungrateful for the opportunity handed to him

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Hopefully the upcoming encyclopedia will enlighten us on some of these things, because I admit the exact mechanics of the magic made me curious. I really enjoyed when they started getting in to wandlore in the last book and explaining some of that wand-wizard relationship.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Macaluso posted:

Exactly, and besides, anything can become mundane if you're around it long enough.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Exactly, and besides, anything can become mundane if you're around it long enough.

I agree. I think the reason that J.K. didn't have everyone being excited about their homework because it was magically studies and not math, English, and the like, is because she wanted to sort of draw a parallel and show that they're just kids and school for them is still school. A lot of what she tries to do is make the wizarding world seem like a parallel of the non-magical world. She says somewhere in The Tales of Beedle the Bard something about how magic solves many problems Muggles have and creates many Muggles don't.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would've thought Harry would enjoy it at least through second or third year though. For everyone else it's just learning to do all the boring poo poo that everyone's parents/older siblings already know, but for Harry he's dropped into a world where magic loving exists and by... third year(?) he's complaining about how uggghhghghggg he has to write papers about werewolves this poo poo is so boring.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Death Bot posted:

I would've thought Harry would enjoy it at least through second or third year though. For everyone else it's just learning to do all the boring poo poo that everyone's parents/older siblings already know, but for Harry he's dropped into a world where magic loving exists and by... third year(?) he's complaining about how uggghhghghggg he has to write papers about werewolves this poo poo is so boring.

In that case it is due to Snape making him do it. It always seems to be the subjects in which he hates or the teachers hate him that he complains about doing the homework.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

A lot of it may have been Ron's bad influence. I mean, even if your subject is making things fly or turning things into other things whatever, why would you want to write about theory and mechanics when you can play wizard chess or exploding snap or be outside riding on your broom? Remember in the third book when Harry would secretly do his homework at night? He obviously vastly preferred even his homework to anything in the Muggle world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In that case it is due to Snape making him do it. It always seems to be the subjects in which he hates or the teachers hate him that he complains about doing the homework.

Speaking of that did anything ever come up about Harry not seeming to have listened to a single History of Magic class in the entire time he was there?

Also you'd think he'd have taken Muggle Studies instead of Divinaton for the easiest O ever, unless you're tested on what Wizards think the Muggle world is like rather than what it's actually like.

• Locked thread