Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I feel pretty good lately about the lessons learned on my investments. I got out of NOK, F, BAC, and CHK before they all crashed hard, although I ate quite a loss on NOK, it could have much worse. Stuck to my 3 favorite stocks that are much easier to follow: SDRL, KSU, and MSFT. The first two are easy because they're relatively small and focus on a single market, although SDRL's CEO does a lot of financial engineering poo poo that's hard to wrap my head around and scares me a bit. MSFT is hard to follow since it's so big, but it has enough analysts, cash, future products, and history that I feel comfortable. Then I put all my extra money that I wanted less risk on after I dodged those bullets into IYLD, which is an ETF of dividend, growth, and bond ETFs and pays a monthly dividend.

I kept buying SDRL, KSU, and MSFT as they got well off the 52 week highs they hit in March/April, and started to get scared when they kept dropping, but these last two weeks it really paid off to not get cold feet. I sold off all the extra shares I bought yesterday as they all hit the levels I set for them to get back to my original positions, and moved the extra money over to IYLD where it'll sit until the next big drop.

scavok fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
What do you guys think of Hasbro (HAS)? It looks fairly priced to me and has what appears to be a safe dividend.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks for the link. I guess I also answered my own question, what am I doing holding on to it if I don't see a future for them...?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
As an aside, Bronte Capital's blog is great reading for anyone wanting to learn how to short a stock.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ravarek posted:

What do you guys think of Hasbro (HAS)? It looks fairly priced to me and has what appears to be a safe dividend.

It's an okay buy now as a value play, I'd have bought around the 27th or so if I'd seen it.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I just read a book about options. The author's main points were:

1. Buy DITM calls as a strategy to replace buying normal long stocks
2. Sell puts at a price you'd want to buy a stock you've been wanting to buy anyway
3. Use debit spread bull put and bear call options
4. Sell covered calls of stock you wouldn't care if you sold for a profit you've already made anyway
5. Buy or sell option ratio spreads

Does anyone on here exclusively work in options? It does hold some appealing aspects leverage and protection wise. I'd be interested to hear from people who have experience with options.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I just read a book about options. The author's main points were:

1. Buy DITM calls as a strategy to replace buying normal long stocks
2. Sell puts at a price you'd want to buy a stock you've been wanting to buy anyway
3. Use debit spread bull put and bear call options
4. Sell covered calls of stock you wouldn't care if you sold for a profit you've already made anyway
5. Buy or sell option ratio spreads

Does anyone on here exclusively work in options? It does hold some appealing aspects leverage and protection wise. I'd be interested to hear from people who have experience with options.

Well.. yep those are all option strategies. I don't know if anyone here works exclusively in options but I know there's some of us that know a good amount.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Nifty posted:

Well.. yep those are all option strategies. I don't know if anyone here works exclusively in options but I know there's some of us that know a good amount.

I'm a pretty conservative investor and it looks like options would be a tool I should use due to the max loss being known in many of the strategies. I just need to get more educated on what to look for when using options. What should I be looking for? The book didn't get into the greeks much more than trying to find DITM calls with deltas as close to 1 as possible.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
How comfortable are you with stocks? What kind of bankroll do you have? Like.. I'm managing money for my dad right now, and every time he reads something new on the internet, he hounds me to start doing it. Last week it was naked puts, and now it's all IRON CONDORS! *they* say those are great strategies! Let's do them! :ughh:

I mean, if you're conservative, there's a choice to be made here. You can delve into some crazy complicated "buy 30 calls and 31 puts and then you make 20 cents if the stock stays between 18 and 18.05" kind of poo poo, or you can you know, buy stocks and use trailing stops. A trailing stop is another way to have a max loss.

Also for the more advanced strategies, you should have a sizeable bankroll. While yes, selling naked puts may sometimes seem like free money, you still have at least part of that potential stock purchase tied up and your buying power -- you can say "sweet I made $1000 selling an AAPL $500 put" but now you have something like $25,000 of your buying power tied up until you sell or it expires.

Additionally, your broker may be a dick and charge you more for multi-legged options, and you have to have a certain level of option trading approval before you can do some things.

This is just nuts and bolts, I really don't know poo poo about whether they work or not.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

If you read an entire book on options and it said nothing about the greeks then I can't imagine it taught you very much to make you a successful trader. It might have gone over strategies, but options have a lot more "moving parts" than stocks and you need to understand a lot more in order to choose the right strategy at the right time.

"Option Volatility and Pricing" is a good book that should give you a more theoretical understanding.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Well, in McMillan on Options the author speaks to the difference between using options to execute a stock-based strategy and executing an options-based strategy. Writing naked puts or covered calls or using in the money calls instead of taking stock positions would be examples of the former. It's the stock you're betting on; the options are just a way of adding leverage or getting paid to do something you were already planning to do.

Spreads strike me more as an option-based strategy, and those would probably require knowing more about how options work, the amusing ways puts act differently from calls or how the rate of time premium decay increases over time, that kind of thing.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

I completely agree with you on what you've said. One of the sillier things about the authors strategy was just what you said about doing wild options spread just to make a small amount of money. He would do all of these credit spreads just to make $60-$120 at a time. That sounds like a really annoying way to make money.

As far as comfort and bankroll, I'm comfortable with trading and have a decent bankroll. I don't want to be doing tens of trades a month or anything but I would like to incorporate options trading into my portfolio which now consists purely of buy and hold stocks I've had for a long time. For example, I did do a covered call of some stock I've had for years and set the strike price to something I'd be very happy to sell it for.

I would never want to sell naked anything. I also am not comfortable getting into my available margin at this point.

Are there any brokers that are geared towards options? I use TD Ameritrade for all of my regular stock trading but they charge a full commission per leg which could really eat into any profits if I start doing options on more than an infrequent basis.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Are there any brokers that are geared towards options? I use TD Ameritrade for all of my regular stock trading but they charge a full commission per leg which could really eat into any profits if I start doing options on more than an infrequent basis.

Optionshouse is about as cheap at it gets from what I've seen.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

TheChimney posted:

Is there a good resource for getting company financials in a clean looking excel format? Say if I want to look at the financials of Alcoa for the last four quarters and run my own analysis on them... Right now I'm going into EDGAR and manually downloading and formatting, but that is way too time-consuming.

In a similar vein, what is the best service for getting financial ratios? I've used yahoo and reuters before, but I've hear that they can be inaccurate.

If there is a broker that offers these, I would consider opening an account.

Well, the best I've been able to do is go to EDGAR and open up the 10K/Q as interactive data and export that to excel. It's still a pain to do, but at least its faster than my old copy and paste method.

New question, does anyone feel like sharing their favorite stock market/finance blogs. I do mostly fundamental analysis, but I am willing to read just about anything ... as long as it's well written.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

TheChimney posted:

Well, the best I've been able to do is go to EDGAR and open up the 10K/Q as interactive data and export that to excel. It's still a pain to do, but at least its faster than my old copy and paste method.

New question, does anyone feel like sharing their favorite stock market/finance blogs. I do mostly fundamental analysis, but I am willing to read just about anything ... as long as it's well written.

https://barelkarsan.com and https://frankvoisin.com are worth a look.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I have a pretty big list of blogs that are worthwhile reading.

Bronte Capital - The essential blog for learning how to short.

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/

Bruce Krasting - 25 years on Wall Street and he does not hold back

http://brucekrasting.blogspot.com/

Stock Trader's Almanac - Great guide for historical information

http://blog.stocktradersalmanac.com/

Advisor Analyst

http://advisoranalyst.com/

Dshort

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 1, 2012

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

Turkeybone posted:

...or you can you know, buy stocks and use trailing stops. A trailing stop is another way to have a max loss.

Can someone confirm for me that this is wrong please?

Dreaming Android
Jan 8, 2011

Something lawful posted:

Why? It puts a floor on the stock price for you. You might quibble between guaranteed and non-guaranteed stop losses, but this doesn't seem particularly wrong to me.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

evilwaldo posted:

I have a pretty big list of blogs that are worthwhile reading.

Bronte Capital - The essential blog for learning how to short.

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/

Bruce Krasting - 25 years on Wall Street and he does not hold back

http://brucekrasting.blogspot.com/

Stock Trader's Almanac - Great guide for historical information

http://blog.stocktradersalmanac.com/

Advisor Analyst

http://advisoranalyst.com/

Dshort

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/

Your lack of FT Alphaville is disturbing ;) My favorite blog, I think.

We are lucky to live in an age where such smart information is available at a click and can be parsed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Something lawful posted:

Its a pretty general statement but its generally right so I guess that can be forgiven. Its easier to respond to a question if there is an actual question plus someone else might learn something in the process.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I said that because the poster basically said "complex option strategies have limited risk", but you can limit your risk with anything -- using stops, for example. You might get burned with an overnight gap, but my point was that one doesn't necessarily need to implement complex strategies.

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

Turkeybone posted:

I said that because the poster basically said "complex option strategies have limited risk", but you can limit your risk with anything -- using stops, for example. You might get burned with an overnight gap, but my point was that one doesn't necessarily need to implement complex strategies.
Yes apologies. I phrased my question like a bit of tit.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
So i got my hands on "The Neatest Little Tricks", "The Intelligent Investor" and "Security Analysis" to start. Im really enjoying my reading and will continue with the recommended list. The thing is that im looking to EEUU's companys, and im from Argentina. Is it ok to invest in foreign (for me) stocks? I've got sort of a list of brokers that give foreign support;

-Interactivebrokers
-OptionsXpress
-Thinkorswim (by TDAmeritrade)
-Tradestation
-MBtrading
-Firstrade
-Just2trade

Does anyone have any info on this brokers and, is there anyone in particular that you could recommend me?
The advantage of investing in NASDAQ for me is that i have a pretty good tech knowledge, and tech companys in my country are almost non-existant, thus im more confident in my capability of analizing a tech company than, say, a food company or something like that.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I just found that Zack's has a API for accessing historical financial reports. The pricing seems fairly reasonable:

http://www.zacksdata.com/zacks-data-api

There is a *lot* of poo poo in there though, I'd imagine it would be a pretty big task to sift through it.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Yggdrassil posted:

So i got my hands on "The Neatest Little Tricks", "The Intelligent Investor" and "Security Analysis" to start. Im really enjoying my reading and will continue with the recommended list. The thing is that im looking to EEUU's companys, and im from Argentina. Is it ok to invest in foreign (for me) stocks? I've got sort of a list of brokers that give foreign support;

-Interactivebrokers
-OptionsXpress
-Thinkorswim (by TDAmeritrade)
-Tradestation
-MBtrading
-Firstrade
-Just2trade

Does anyone have any info on this brokers and, is there anyone in particular that you could recommend me?
The advantage of investing in NASDAQ for me is that i have a pretty good tech knowledge, and tech companys in my country are almost non-existant, thus im more confident in my capability of analizing a tech company than, say, a food company or something like that.

I use Interactive Brokers and I would recommend it but bear in mind I've only used two brokers in the past IB and TDameritrade.

In terms of fees, IB can't be beat by TD (which has a fee of like $10 per trade or something) while IB decides your fee by volume. (Number of shares). It's ridiculously cheap though, most of my trades (around $4000-10000 worth of shares) ends up costing me $2 per trade or something like that.

It offers you access to more than 10 international markets I think, I forgot what all the markets are but it's pretty extensive. Account creation is also very fast, I think it took me something like 5 days from start to finish. Bear in mind I also live in Indonesia and had to do an international wire transfer.

Just don't fall for all the extra news services though, it can cost a lot of money and don't provide you with any extra values except if you're a professional trader.

I haven't had the chance to use their customer services yet, but I've heard that they're known for being poo poo.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yesssssss, suck it, OPEN.

But yeah OPEN really got the wind knocked out of it, I was getting a little nervous for a bit. Maybe there's been talk of a purchase, but I'm not really sure who would want to do it.. Google and FB have already made their "restaurant" plays on the whole, and while many restaurants use OPEN, they hate the % that they take; I'm sure a cheaper reservation system could swoop in if conditions were right.

Also V is looking pretty good today, I was trying to price some covered calls and said gently caress it, and just bought to open.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 2, 2012

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have any guesses why LQDT dropped 25% today? Because I can't find anything.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Dolphin posted:

Does anyone have any guesses why LQDT dropped 25% today? Because I can't find anything.

Jesus, the charts look brutal. 7x volume too. Definitely fishy...

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Dolphin posted:

Insider selling due to and early off-Wall Street analyst sell recommendation - looks like BS as both Stifel Nicholas and Baird are defending it. I bet there's a reasonable recovery tomorrow. I had a few LOO orders for a total of about 1200 shares this morning, shame they weren't filled.

edit: this is all on yahoo finance too now I guess, just looks like selling momentum got the better of it today, as the downside volume (especially from 900am to 945am) looks higher than the upside

mik fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 3, 2012

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

Yesssssss, suck it, OPEN.

But yeah OPEN really got the wind knocked out of it, I was getting a little nervous for a bit. Maybe there's been talk of a purchase, but I'm not really sure who would want to do it.. Google and FB have already made their "restaurant" plays on the whole, and while many restaurants use OPEN, they hate the % that they take; I'm sure a cheaper reservation system could swoop in if conditions were right.

Also V is looking pretty good today, I was trying to price some covered calls and said gently caress it, and just bought to open.

What kind of position did you have on OPEN?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mik posted:

Insider selling due to and early off-Wall Street analyst sell recommendation - looks like BS as both Stifel Nicholas and Baird are defending it. I bet there's a reasonable recovery tomorrow.
That's what I was thinking. Still feels risky, even though it's way oversold.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

TheChimney posted:

What kind of position did you have on OPEN?

Ha, one that I forgot about. :eng99: A put that got assigned so I was short 100 shares, but now it's all good :10bux:.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Dolphin posted:

That's what I was thinking. Still feels risky, even though it's way oversold.

Well there you go, it's up 4.5% pre-market.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
Just sold my first shares of stock, wish I'd known what a trailing stop was so I hadn't sold early. Still, better to make this mistake now with 2 shares of AAPL now than down the road with a big position, I guess.

I'm slowly working my way through the books in the OP, but I guess I was reading a lot of big picture investing books and hadn't yet got to the day-by-day mechanics of trading. Time to change it up...

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Hoping ALU hits $2 sometime this year...

E:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 3, 2012

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

AAPL bounces off EXACTLY 600 .... amazing.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
AIR tanked on mediocre earnings and has just been straight up since. Still looks very cheap to me.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

flowinprose posted:

AAPL bounces off EXACTLY 600 .... amazing.

I'm not sure if you're actually amazed or being sarcastic, but this really doesn't surprise me. I assume many people just had sell orders right at 600. If it wasn't a half day, maybe there would be some volume to overcome this (like when you see a stock teetering at 10.00 then dropping like a stone, or fighting to get over $100), but not today.

Even though today is a "whatever" kind of day, it was still actually a good one for me.. more AGNC and MS love :swoon:.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Turkeybone posted:

I'm not sure if you're actually amazed or being sarcastic, but this really doesn't surprise me.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. It doesn't suprise me at all, since it has happened time after time on AAPL on the bigger psychological price points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Hoping ALU hits $2 sometime this year...

Can I ask why? People alternately treat this one as either a hopeful or stock exchange poison, and I'm having trouble seeing what's wrong with their balance sheet.