Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

there was recently a sale on foodsavers, and there was a V3880 for $95 with a bunch of extras. I've been meaning to get a food saver for a long time, so I just bought it on impulse - it said it was normally like a $350 dollar package.

does anyone have experience with these? I didn't really have time to look and see if it was really as good of a deal as it sounded like, but the 3880 looked like the top of the line model, so I figured what the heck. I think I can still cancel my order though if the unit sucks or something.

Yes. I just bought one on sale at Costco for $120, which is already a steal. $95 is nuts.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Yes. I just bought one on sale at Costco for $120, which is already a steal. $95 is nuts.

awesome!

I just checked and it looks like the deal I got is expired, but there are still a few running for anyone else looking - http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/760...liq.-block-bags

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I bought 3 V2222's for $24 each (2 for gifts) and it works great a couple of years ago. 90-something for any foodsaver seems absurd.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Some of my experience with one:

Do not waste money on pre-cut pouches, always buy rolls and try to avoid MSRP. Ebay has lots of cheap massive rolls.

Foodsaver really wants you to waste rolls and keep buying more. Whenever you seal stuff up it feels like there's too much slack and you're letting roll go to waste. A week of practice will help you minimize this.

The portion pouch rolls are great for portioning out individual steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, etc. They are two parallel mini rolls that you tear apart once they're sealed. Once you've torn them apart though, one will not be wide enough to trigger the sealer.

If you're just freezing meat for a few weeks, might as well use ziploc and saran wrap. It's being put to best use for long term storage.

The $20 marinating container is awesome. You can marinate food in minutes instead of hours. And you can also use it for other things like saving salads for later. Salads get crushed in the vacuum bags but are great in vacuum containers.

The round canisters can not only store food but can also be used to vacuum seal mason jars.

Vacuum bags seem to be doing well for my vanilla storage.

Foodsaver bags can also be used to put your smart phone in a waterproof pouch in case you need to go hiking/swimming/whatever. Don't use the vacuum function though, just seal.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 27, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BraveUlysses posted:

I bought 3 V2222's for $24 each (2 for gifts) and it works great a couple of years ago. 90-something for any foodsaver seems absurd.

well, I guess my point of comparison was $1500 cryovac machines I've used in restaurant kitchens, so $90 seemed like a 'why not if it works anywhere near as well' type of deal.

which I guess could be me being stupid. this thing can seal bags with liquids, right?

Steve Yun posted:

Some of my experience with one:

thanks for the tips - I had read that thing about generic bags - are there any go-to places you get your rolls?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

this thing can seal bags with liquids, right?
I think... there's a liquid foods setting but I haven't played with it yet. I guess I need to read the manual too.

There's a reservoir in the 3880 to catch liquids from being sucked into the inner guts, but it doesn't hold much.

quote:

thanks for the tips - I had read that thing about generic bags - are there any go-to places you get your rolls?

I just get them at Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% off coupons

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 27, 2012

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My v3880 has recently been trapped in "liquid tray full" status. I've cleaned, applied alcohol to all electronic contacts, and finally used electronic sandpaper to ensure contact but to no avail. I fail to see any real downside from just disconnecting the sensor, so I'm going to do that when I get back home.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My sensor does get a little goofy too. But otherwise the thing works well, and until I can convince the wife to invest in a chamber sealer, it's as good as it's going to get.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mindphlux posted:

well, I guess my point of comparison was $1500 cryovac machines I've used in restaurant kitchens
Gotcha, well the model I listed is a manual model...some people complain about the more automatic types as being picky.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I think... there's a liquid foods setting but I haven't played with it yet. I guess I need to read the manual too.

Okay, so for liquids it says to freeze them beforehand.

There isn't a "liquid" foods setting, it's for "moist" foods.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hed posted:

My v3880 has recently been trapped in "liquid tray full" status. I've cleaned, applied alcohol to all electronic contacts, and finally used electronic sandpaper to ensure contact but to no avail. I fail to see any real downside from just disconnecting the sensor, so I'm going to do that when I get back home.

yut-oh

:/ the majority of what I want to use this thing for involves liquids - portioning and sealing bags of chicken stock, sous-vide prep for veg and meat with marinades in the bag, uhhhh - ok I'm struggling to think of what else involves liquids, but those two purposes were pretty high on my list of reasons to buy the thing.

let us know how disconnecting the sensor goes - I have a feeling I'll eventually be doing that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There are tricks to vacuuming foods with liquid in them, you can use gravity to keep liquid away from being sucked up as long as possible:
http://www.eatfoo.com/archives/2009/02/sous_vide_with_a_foodsaver_or.php

Chicken stock and soups... you might as well use ziploc, right? As long as you push most of the air out there isn't any disadvantage over using the foodsaver.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Chicken stock and soups... you might as well use ziploc, right? As long as you push most of the air out there isn't any disadvantage over using the foodsaver.

yeah that's what I do now, and yeah no disadvantage, I'm just being silly. I fill a pot with water and submerge the stock/ziplock bag right up to the seal right now, so it's basically the same as a vacuum seal, works perfectly, and takes two seconds. and you don't even need to vacuum seal stocks. so what am I talking about.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like freezing soup and stock in muffin tins

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

yeah that's what I do now, and yeah no disadvantage, I'm just being silly. I fill a pot with water and submerge the stock/ziplock bag right up to the seal right now, so it's basically the same as a vacuum seal, works perfectly, and takes two seconds. and you don't even need to vacuum seal stocks. so what am I talking about.
I have a cheapass bottom-of-the-line Seal-A-Meal thing, and the suction on it is so wimpy it's pretty much perfect for sealing wet poo poo. I've never tried bagging a bunch of stock, but I've bagged a lot of eggs for the puddle machine, and it's pretty easy to just start it up and then hit the release button when the liquid's creeped too high.

It's also pretty good for doing poo poo like bagging burger patties without compressing them. I kinda feel like once you take the step back from a chamber sealer that can pull something like a real vacuum and all the poo poo you can do with that, then for sous vizzle at least you're better off with a weak-rear end sealer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I like freezing soup and stock in muffin tins

that's a good thought - I've used icecube trays before, but that is never ever enough stock for me. large muffin tins might be more reasonable, I'll have to give it a go.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
I bake a lot, and I've been thinking of getting a stone pastry board, as a reward to myself for surviving The Great Kitchen Remodel. Marble seems to be traditional, but I've seen good reviews for granite as well. So, my questions are-Is it worth it? Do stone pastry boards live up to the legends? and If yes, what is the best type of stone for a pastry board?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Not too sure about which one is the best - but I know that I prefer granite, because it won't get ruined by descaling it, like marble will over time...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
IIRC marble is porous and granite is not?

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

IIRC marble is porous and granite is not?

They're both very low porosity, and close enough to each other that the answer to that question depends on they type of granite and the type of marble. Marble is more reactive to acid and slightly easier to scratch/stain.

Get whichever one you think is prettiest.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

There are tricks to vacuuming foods with liquid in them, you can use gravity to keep liquid away from being sucked up as long as possible:
http://www.eatfoo.com/archives/2009/02/sous_vide_with_a_foodsaver_or.php

In addition to this if your foodsaver has an accessory port you can connect the hose thing to it and touch your finger to the end to have more control over how much vacuum is applied. I find this is really helpful for sealing liquids without freezing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A couple people have recommended the Jaccard meat tenderizer in this thread:
http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-45-Knife-Meat-Tenderizer/dp/B000A3I3G0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1341339695&sr=1-2&keywords=jaccard

However, I was browsing around and saw this thing by Deni:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R0FRHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

for much cheaper. Any reason why I shouldn't get that one instead?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Any preferences on toaster ovens? My toaster died on me and I'd like to get a toaster oven as its a lot more versatile.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doh004 posted:

Any preferences on toaster ovens? My toaster died on me and I'd like to get a toaster oven as its a lot more versatile.
I've had a Cuisinart convection toaster oven for several years and I really like it. It's way overkill if you just want a new toaster, but if you plan on using it for other poo poo it's a surprisingly decent little oven/broiler as well. It's got a removable crumb tray, which is nice, but it is a bit of a pain in the rear end to clean out the rest of it if you get grease or whatever spattered over the interior. In particular there's a ledge or whatever under the door hinge that likes to collect debris and is a pain to clean. Other than that, no complaints.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Doh004 posted:

This is a really tough one as almost all of them make some kind of compromise. I.e. if its good at baking it's probably bad at toasting or vice versa. I've also been looking to find one that doesn't get hot on top but basically gave up and just live with being careful. I settled on a Delonghi model like this one that Costco had for $100. At first I hated it but I've slowly grown to accept its flaws. Out of the box it makes terrible toast, seriously it scorches part of the bread and dries it out terribly. However if I use frozen bread it works pretty well and makes nicely browned toast that isnt dry. It's also a decent little convection oven that is great for roasting a pork loin or bits of chicken. Convection is a pretty handy feature for even heating and nice crispy crusts on dishes. Overall I'm on the fence about toaster ovens--I really wanted to find something I could use for both toasting bread and making small meals. The sad truth is that toaster ovens, even expensive ones, just aren't that great at doing both. The one caveat is that Breville makes a 'smart oven' that's supposed to be amazing but is $250, too risky to spend on a toaster oven IMHO.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Steve Yun posted:

A couple people have recommended the Jaccard meat tenderizer in this thread:
http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-45-Knife-Meat-Tenderizer/dp/B000A3I3G0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1341339695&sr=1-2&keywords=jaccard

However, I was browsing around and saw this thing by Deni:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R0FRHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

for much cheaper. Any reason why I shouldn't get that one instead?

I have that Deni and don't like it because it doesn't come apart. I do my best to rinse it off before putting it into the dishwasher. Some water always gets stuck inside. I'm trying not to think about what's growing inside. Ugh... I should throw it away.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Way back in the early days of this thread (like, the first three or four pages), there was talk of an attachment for Kitchen-Aid mixers called the Beaterblade. Does anyone in this thread now still use it, and if so, how reliable is it? I'm thinking of getting one for a neighbor who uses her mixer about five days out of seven, and I want to make sure that it's something she can use.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 4, 2012

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mod sassinator posted:

This is a really tough one as almost all of them make some kind of compromise. I.e. if its good at baking it's probably bad at toasting or vice versa. I've also been looking to find one that doesn't get hot on top but basically gave up and just live with being careful. I settled on a Delonghi model like this one that Costco had for $100. At first I hated it but I've slowly grown to accept its flaws. Out of the box it makes terrible toast, seriously it scorches part of the bread and dries it out terribly. However if I use frozen bread it works pretty well and makes nicely browned toast that isnt dry. It's also a decent little convection oven that is great for roasting a pork loin or bits of chicken. Convection is a pretty handy feature for even heating and nice crispy crusts on dishes. Overall I'm on the fence about toaster ovens--I really wanted to find something I could use for both toasting bread and making small meals. The sad truth is that toaster ovens, even expensive ones, just aren't that great at doing both. The one caveat is that Breville makes a 'smart oven' that's supposed to be amazing but is $250, too risky to spend on a toaster oven IMHO.

What I've been told numerous times (as someone who lives in an apartment where counter space is a premium), if you want to make toast, get a toaster. If you want a tiny oven, get a toaster oven.

You can make toast in a toaster oven, don't get me wrong - but its best uses come from being a tiny oven that takes a lot less time to heat up, draws a lot less power, and most importantly, won't heat up your entire kitchen if it stays on for awhile.

I have family that use them religiously, and if I had the space for one I'd grab it in a heartbeat. I don't eat toast very often, so that is pretty much immaterial to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I bought a Breville Compact Smart Oven ($180 instead of $250 for the larger model). It's a bit spendy but I bought it as a companion oven because my main oven's broiler doesn't have a window so I consider it a fire hazard. It does everything it advertises perfectly.

Cook's Illustrated loved the full Smart Oven (the Compact didn't exist at the time of their review) but their runner up was a Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Toaster Oven with Convection Cooking for $100

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I prefer a toaster oven to a toaster because of the versatility. It's easy enough to play around with the temp settings to get your toast to come out the way you want. My main recommendation is to avoid getting one that is too large/fancy. All they do is take longer to heat up.

I also suggest limiting the amount of oily/greasy food you cook in it. That's when they get tough to clean and begin to take on odors.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I prefer toaster oven to toaster because you can make little toast pizzas

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Get this toaster oven:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Toaster-Convection-Cooking/dp/B0039BJ3JG

It actually makes really good toast and also cooks stuff and costs < $100.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Way back in the early days of this thread (like, the first three or four pages), there was talk of an attachment for Kitchen-Aid mixers called the Beaterblade. Does anyone in this thread now still use it, and if so, how reliable is it? I'm thinking of getting one for a neighbor who uses her mixer about five days out of seven, and I want to make sure that it's something she can use.
I bought one for my delonghi mixer. Wide loved it because the bowl was way too big otherwise and it made mixing small things hard (it's 7 quarts).

After about a year it snapped while my wife was using it. Emailed them and they asked for a picture. Sent it in, and apparently I had an older one that was more brittle. They replaced it with a new one that has better plastic, and it's been good for awhile.

Now the bad part. I think on kitchen aid mixers it voids the warranty because it was burning out motors, because of the extra resistance. Never been a problem for the delonghi I have, but it's also 700 watts.

Edit: personally my wife wouldn't use her mixer without it, so they work great, just read up on the risks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I have the Kenwood version of the same attachment (looks the same anyway). I find if very useful when mixing smaller quantities.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I have a beaterblade for a Kitchenaid mixer. It works great, although I don't use my mixer nearly so often. I haven't heard any stories of the thing destroying mixers, but I haven't exactly been on the look-out for it.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Looking for a quality ice cream maker, preferably one under 100$? Have to hide my drinking habits from neighbors somehow, came up an idea to eat lots of alcohol flavored ice creams and sorbets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

varjoankka posted:

Looking for a quality ice cream maker, preferably one under 100$? Have to hide my drinking habits from neighbors somehow, came up an idea to eat lots of alcohol flavored ice creams and sorbets.

http://gizmodo.com/5860835/how-to-make-alcoholic-ice-cream-the-greatest-dessert-of-all-time

You can't make alcoholic ice cream with any old recipe because alcohol's freezing point is very low. This article has a recipe, and they use a Cuisinart ice cream machine under $100 (fluctuates).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5860835/how-to-make-alcoholic-ice-cream-the-greatest-dessert-of-all-time

You can't make alcoholic ice cream with any old recipe because alcohol's freezing point is very low. This article has a recipe, and they use a $70 Cuisinart ice cream machine.
If you are extremely patient and willing to gamble on whether or not they sell it again, Woot.com sometimes sells that ice cream maker for ~$50. That's where I got mine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made fresh peach ice cream yesterday. Wanted a no cook recipe, since I wanted it then and not 6 hours later. ended up using a recipe I found online, and in true allrecipes fashion, I omitted the uncooked eggs. Other changes: I also pureed the peaches then pushed them through a chinois, and used a little more peach than the recipe called for, as well as fresh lemon juice and a bit of extra sugar. The end result was very reminiscent of sherbet. I figure the final butterfat % was around 7%, so higher than sherbet, but lower than ice cream. And it was delicious.

Four stars, great recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

So you made peach gelato, more or less? Sounds loving good to me.

• Locked thread