Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Main Paineframe posted:

And the fact that it's progress can't be minimized, since the court is moving to restrict the use of such punishments against juveniles at a rather quick pace - the Supreme Court only abolished the use of the death penalty against minors in 2005.

This. There aren't many states that have LWOP as the only possible punishment, but this opinion continues to breathe life into proportionality review (if only for juveniles, at this point) and the understanding that death and LWOP is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, but only if they've committed murder. And the fact that it's progress can't be minimized, since the court is moving to restrict the use of such punishments against juveniles at a rather quick pace - the Supreme Court only abolished the use of the death penalty against minors in 2005.

I would not be surprised if all JLWOP is deemed unconstitutional in 5 or so years, as long as Romney doesn't get to nominate the next supreme court justice.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah so instead of sentencing them to life without parole, we can sentence them to life with the possibility of parole and then just never give it to them. Way to go!
Just to clarify, juveniles can still be sentenced to life without parole as long as there's still discretion. It's only the mandatory minimum JLWOP that was abolished here.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, but only if they've committed murder. And the fact that it's progress can't be minimized, since the court is moving to restrict the use of such punishments against juveniles at a rather quick pace - the Supreme Court only abolished the use of the death penalty against minors in 2005.

And they got rid of JLWOP for all non murder crimes last year.

joat mon posted:

This. There aren't many states that have LWOP as the only possible punishment, but this opinion continues to breathe life into proportionality review (if only for juveniles, at this point) and the understanding that death and LWOP is different.

29 states had LWOP as the mandatory option for kids who kill....thats not an insignificant number of states.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pillowpants posted:

29 states had LWOP as the mandatory option for kids who kill....thats not an insignificant number of states.
Huh. I assumed there couldn't be many states more draconian than mine. I stand corrected.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Gazpacho posted:

:psyduck: full story. The federal government's side of this, I suppose, is that they have to be diligent in asserting the case law regardless of the outcome, but that wouldn't be a problem if the law provided a better route for relief.

Sorry for resurrecting an older post, but something I wanted to add is that this is a symptom of how the law is written, and how precedents are set in the US.

Simply put, the law does not exist to seek justice as it is written; it exists to serve as a procedural framework for the legal system to abide by as various individuals are processed through.

This approach may have been appropriate in the 18th and even 19th centuries, before performance metrics and conviction rates were tracked as a meter of success for prosecutors, and before science and technology not only caught up but actually frog leaped over the legal system it is supposed to support, but today it is a fundamental issue with our legal and corrections systems.

Basically, what it comes down to is that lawyers, judges, cops, prison officials, etc. aren't instructed on goals and guidelines, but instead are forced into a restrictive covenant that gives little (and diminishing) ability to exercise situational judgment. At the same time, years of PR and Wars on Whatever have demonized the accused to such an extent that it's become an Us vs. Them mentality - and not just between law enforcement and alleged criminals, but law enforcement and society at large. I know there have been some impressive walls of text written about the militarization of law enforcement already, but it bears repeating that it very much contributes to the current adversarial environment between law enforcement and just about every one else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
18 Year old sentenced to 162 years without the possibility of parole for first time conviction. His crime? Robbery.

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-florida-man-sees-cruel-face-u-justice-050157061.html

quote:

In a statement issued the day after the sentencing, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Wifredo Ferrer hailed Davis's lock-up for life as sending an unmistakable warning to anyone seeking to profit from violent crime.

"We will not allow our community to be overrun by guns and violence," he said.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 4, 2012

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

18 Year old sentenced to 162 years without the possibility of parole for first time conviction. His crime? Robbery.

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-florida-man-sees-cruel-face-u-justice-050157061.html

I read the article Shimrra Jamaane.

Although no one was injured, he and his accomplice conducted:

quote:

MIAMI (Reuters) - Quartavious Davis is still shocked by what happened to him in federal court two months ago.

"My first offense, and they gave me all this time," said Davis, a pudgy African American with dreadlocks who spoke with Reuters at the Federal Detention Center in Miami. "Might just as well say I'm dead."

Davis was convicted of participating in a string of armed robberies in the Miami area in 2010. His accomplices testified against him, saying he carried a gun during their crimes and discharged it at a dog that chased them after one of their burglaries. But Davis was not convicted of hurting anyone physically, including the dog.

Davis would occupy no place at all in the annals of crime if not for his sentence. Now 20 years old, he was sentenced to 1,941 months - almost 162 years - in prison without the possibility of parole.

On the day of Davis's interview with Reuters, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that life sentences without parole for defendants under the age of 18 constituted "cruel and unusual punishment" even in cases of murder. Unfortunately for Davis, he was 18 at the time of his crimes.

Did he realize that he was looking at decades behind bars when he was doing these strings of robberies/burglaries?

Carrying a gun in the process.

You do the crime, you do the time.

Some people just don't learn.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
The way the united states is going, if your really down on your luck, going to Jail might be better then the next best alternative. If the only way you have left to live is stealing stuff just to get by then you know your going to score big and move to mexico, or your going to jail.

My only question on the whole thing is what do we do when it takes half our GDP to keep half our population locked up for life? Because we're going in that direction.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Positive Optimyst posted:

Did he realize that he was looking at decades behind bars when he was doing these strings of robberies/burglaries?

What exactly is an 18 year old going to learn with 100+ year jail sentence? To be a good person when he is 150 years old upon release?
Young persons' brains are not as well developed as an adult. They act rashly without thinking of consequences. This is a major part of why we abolished LWOP sentences for juveniles. Besides some arbitrary age, what makes an 18 year old different than a 17 year old?
What good exactly does this do over a 15 to life where if he grows the gently caress up and can be a honest citizen he gets out and if not he stays in?

Oh and I picked that 15 to life because that is what he'd do for loving murder in my state, and nothing he did was worse (or as bad as) second degree murder.

And that ignores the whole I have to help pay for housing this guy until he dies.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yes, because if it's according to the law, it must automatically be fair. Good to know that you base your sense of justice on the thinking of noted moral philosopher Judge Dredd.

Jesus poo poo dude, locking someone up for life just because of robbery is as far from proportionate retribution as possible. What's so hard to understand about this?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nm posted:

What good exactly does this do over a 15 to life where if he grows the gently caress up and can be a honest citizen he gets out and if not he stays in?

It allows me to maintain an erection.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

And just what is "the time"? Davis, with no priors, received an average of 23 years for each of seven robberies. His co-defendants got up to 22 years total, because they were indicted concurrently rather than sequentially. It's a procedural game that has gently caress-all to do with "doing the time for the crime" and is more about making Davis a trophy for the plea bargain system.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 4, 2012

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

18 Year old sentenced to 162 years without the possibility of parole for first time conviction. His crime? Robbery while black.

There we go, much more accurate. :pseudo:

So he's never ever getting out of jail, what incentive is there to be a "good" person ever again? Whether he's a perfect inmate or kills 5 people every week, he's never gonna get out.

edit: \/ Once he converts, change his sentence to execution so he can get to heaven faster. :downs:

RichieWolk fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 4, 2012

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

RichieWolk posted:

So he's never ever getting out of jail, what incentive is there to be a "good" person ever again?
Jesus! :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This verdict proves that if you commit a robbery in the US while black you have no reason not to attempt to kill every single police officer who attempts to arrest you.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I read that same news article just a bit ago, and one thing that struck me (and hasn't been commented on yet) is that the article makes it sound like a lot of the charges stuck based on the testimony of the other robbers (who have incentive to send one person up the river, probably aided by the prosecutors offering plea bargains and concurrent sentences). One of them provides the sole testimony that Davis pulled the trigger, and any witnesses can't say who exactly did.

And good god, the comments section :cripes:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

nm posted:

Does anybody benefit materially from a sentence like that? Is this a case where the prosecutor might ask the judge to give that many years, because the DA wants to use it for a campaign ad? Or were they punishing him for refusing to cooperate? Or just giving him a ridiculous sentence out of pure racist hatefulness? It just seems kind of curious to single out this kid and calculate things so he gets a life sentence behind a few armed robberies. Maybe they threatened all of them with the full 160 years to get them to flip, and his partners gave it up, but he refused so they had to follow through so nobody would think they were making empty threats.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EvanSchenck posted:

Does anybody benefit materially from a sentence like that? Is this a case where the prosecutor might ask the judge to give that many years, because the DA wants to use it for a campaign ad? Or were they punishing him for refusing to cooperate? Or just giving him a ridiculous sentence out of pure racist hatefulness? It just seems kind of curious to single out this kid and calculate things so he gets a life sentence behind a few armed robberies. Maybe they threatened all of them with the full 160 years to get them to flip, and his partners gave it up, but he refused so they had to follow through so nobody would think they were making empty threats.
Federal mandatory minimum sentencing. It all stacks for every offense and every enhancement (like using a gun).

Note that technically, you are not supposed to punish people for taking cases to trial. It is unconstitutional and unethical, however, this scheme means almost no one goes to trial, because if they're found guilty on everything they'll do more time.

In this case, he was probably offered something that was still outrageous, like 50 years, by dismissing many of the counts. Because of the massive hammer, and everyone else rolling over, there was no reason to give a reasonable offer.

The person who benefits is the AUSA who will have to do less work because the system basically forces anyone who wants to get out when they are still young to plea.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 5, 2012

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

What exactly is an 18 year old going to learn with 100+ year jail sentence? To be a good person when he is 150 years old upon release?
Young persons' brains are not as well developed as an adult. They act rashly without thinking of consequences. This is a major part of why we abolished LWOP sentences for juveniles. Besides some arbitrary age, what makes an 18 year old different than a 17 year old?

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Lots of bizarre violent crimes involving murder, beatings to death and other things in my hometown.

You do this, don't expect to get out for a long - hopefully never.

What is the appropriate sentences for this person? 3 years? Too risky. 5 years? 10? 25?

It sends a message. Do not do this.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yes, because if it's according to the law, it must automatically be fair. Good to know that you base your sense of justice on the thinking of noted moral philosopher Judge Dredd.

Jesus poo poo dude, locking someone up for life just because of robbery is as far from proportionate retribution as possible. What's so hard to understand about this?

What is hard to understand is that someone would do a string of armed robberies and even discharge a gun in Florida.

Send a message. Don't commit armed robberies and shoot your gun.

You will be punished if caught. Why does anyone even care about this thug?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

What is hard to understand is that someone would do a string of armed robberies and even discharge a gun in Florida.

Read this thread again. Everything you said was vindictive bullshit that only makes crime and prisons worse.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Because he's a human being.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Lots of bizarre violent crimes involving murder, beatings to death and other things in my hometown.

What is the appropriate sentences for this person? 3 years? Too risky. 5 years? 10? 25?

Can someone please link one of the many studies that proves harsh penalties are in no way an effective deterrent to crime? Maybe even the ones showing that recidivism is related to the (lack of) rehabilitative services of prisons more than anything else?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Hey dude, welcome to the 57 page prison thread (this is not the first prison thread). Maybe you should read more than half a page before posting your lovely uninformed opinions

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...l?frame=2261569

Look at the nice happy chain gang. Look at all the women's smiling faces. Isn't Arpaio wonderful?

:suicide:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I will never understand the reasoning or motivation of someone who comes into the middle of a huge issue specific thread like this one, skips right to the last page and blurts out "Hey have you considered that If You Do The Crime You Do The Time? :smugdog: "

Like, wow. Yeah man. You just cracked the code and blew this discussion wide open. Absolutely nobody has thought of this except for you, the lonely voice of reason, just now. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. The emperor has no clothes and his junk is small.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

I will never understand the reasoning or motivation of someone who comes into the middle of a huge issue specific thread like this one, skips right to the last page and blurts out "Hey have you considered that If You Do The Crime You Do The Time? :smugdog: "

Like, wow. Yeah man. You just cracked the code and blew this discussion wide open. Absolutely nobody has thought of this except for you, the lonely voice of reason, just now. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. The emperor has no clothes and his junk is small.

Ah, but have you considered deterrence?

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

This is why nobody ever commits crimes that could result in the death penalty. :rolleye:

e: poo poo, we could eliminate crime altogether if we used the death penalty for everything!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RichieWolk posted:

This is why nobody ever commits crimes that could result in the death penalty. :rolleye:

e: poo poo, we could eliminate crime altogether if we used the death penalty for everything!

Kant was right!

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The data shows deterrance doesn't work. What's generally very effective is treating criminals like mentally ill people - therapy and job training. What this country regards as 'soft on crime' works better to eliminate crime than 'tough on crime' policies.

A simple example could be our 70% recidivism rate versus Norway's ~20+%. Our system converts 3 out of 10 criminals into normal citizens whereas theirs turns 8 out of 10. A large part of that is how criminals are handled; their prisons are like college dorms.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well you know, when I am committing crimes my first thought is "hey, this case I came across on the internet on some obscure blog/media outlet showed that some guy got sentenced to 156 years, maybe I shouldn't do that!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It must be nice to have never made a mistake in one's life. Obviously, some are worse than others, and I don't think anyone would suggest an armed robber shouldn't be punished at all, but at the same time, why does society feel such a compelling need to dehumanize criminals? I think we've all done things we're not proud of, probably even things which were against the law, in full knowledge of the penalties. The penalties should be reasonable to the scale of the offense, and allow a person who is honestly remorseful for his actions to move beyond them after a point.

I know I'm most likely preaching to the converted, but it's still infuriating that there is a need for this conversation at all.

To all the people who disagree with me: think of the worst thing you've done in your life. Was it or could it have been illegal? Now think about how you'd feel if it cost you the rest of your life or a significant portion thereof because some vengeful, stupid assholes think it will act as a deterrent. People ought to be punished in relation to the severity of their crimes, and if you think anything but premeditated murder with no extenuating circumstances could possibly merit life imprisonment or death, you are hosed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Well you know, when I am committing crimes my first thought is "hey, this case I came across on the internet on some obscure blog/media outlet showed that some guy got sentenced to 156 years, maybe I shouldn't do that!"
If people committing crimes thought they'd get caught (assuming the thought about getting caught), they wouldn't do it.

I live in a state where shoplifters are routinely sent to prison for years (well, now county jail, but for years, not months), and we still have a rash of shoplifting.
I don't think increased punishment will do it. What would do it is rising people out of the level of poverty that causes them to steal a toothbrush.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I think the entire thought process in this country has to change. The current idea is "i am a peaceful unique snowflake and everyone else is a bunch of horrific violent criminals that need to be locked up in cages."

People don't see the thin line that exists between them and the wood chipper. Getting caught with weed while having a minor record can lead to a ludicrous prison sentence.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

nm posted:

The person who benefits is the AUSA who will have to do less work because the system basically forces anyone who wants to get out when they are still young to plea.

Well, that and the judicial system. If every case, or even just a somewhat higher percentage, went to trial, the judicial system would be completely incapable of handling the load.

A related link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunday/go-to-trial-crash-the-justice-system.html

(I don't actually think the proposal is terribly realistic, but it's an interesting thought experiment, anyway.)

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 7, 2012

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Well, that and the judicial system. If every case, or even just a somewhat higher percentage, went to trial, the judicial system would be completely incapable of handling the load.

Which is of course pretty indicative of the underlying problem with our justice/correctional system: if we are prosecuting so many people that it's logistically impossible to actually give them all a fair trial, we are probably prosecuting too goddamn many people.

The reason of course being the whole self-propelled expansion of any bureaucratic system, especially one with terrible internal motivators (prosecutor win records, per-inmate rewards and the like for eardens), with an added helping of Drug War.

I'm saying absolutely nothing that anyone who's actually read this thread doesn't already know, but sometimes stuff like these little details - that our judicial sustem is completely reliant on that ~95% plea bargain rate - really drives the whole hosed-up situation home in my mind.

Incidentally, while I hate that there's so much ignorance and spite floating around the general population on this issue that it's really hard to tell the difference between ignorant/reprehensible people and trolls, Positive Optimyst is absolutely trolling.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Read the article and notice something; he was a very poor person from a lovely neighborhood and was living on outright meager payments from the government. Chances are, IF he got a job, it would be minimum wage with no hope of advancing, ever, and probably being treated not exactly well because he's a fat black guy. So we have a very poor person with lovely life prospects. He said he wanted to go to trade school. It's highly unlikely that he'd be able to do so without funding. Which, of course, means money. The economy is poo poo right now, unemployment is utterly rampant among the black, and people living in poverty find that college is pretty much impossible.

Did it ever occur to you that he started crime because he literally had no other choice if he wanted to, you know, not starve to death slowly? Also consider that he was a teenager. As in, young and stupid. It probably seemed like a good idea. My guess is that he's just a regular dude put into a really, really lovely situation and got desperate.

So, I ask, which would be better; putting him away for life and leaving him to rot, or giving him an opportunity for a life that doesn't involve guns and robbery? You're making the choice to turn him into a burden on society. Every prisoner needs fed, clothed, and cared for but don't necessarily produce anything. A bit of job training and, next thing you know, this guy could be a productive member of society.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Did it ever occur to you that he started crime because he literally had no other choice if he wanted to, you know, not starve to death slowly? Also consider that he was a teenager. As in, young and stupid. It probably seemed like a good idea. My guess is that he's just a regular dude put into a really, really lovely situation and got desperate.

And what about all the people that will possibly get fired for not stopping him? Sucks to be them, I guess. There's also the people that will eat the increased insurance premium costs, which will then get reflected by reduced wages and benefits for employees and so on and so forth. And there's also loss of business during which a building is being repaired, if any damage is caused during the robbery-- which again is lost wages to the employees.

More people than just the guy who owns the building get hosed in a robbery. So frankly the whole "poor minority just tryin' to get ahead" argument is stupid. He's poor and down on his luck? Sucks to be him, but so are all the other people he hosed over by getting involved in this.

Not saying the punishment isn't absurd but this specific argument is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, wait, so because his actions affected other people, the causes that led to them don't exist? What? That's completely inane.

• Locked thread