Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Weigh your flour, make salt 2% of the weight of the flour. Enjoy good bread for the first time ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I've got some fresh side pork from my meat CSA. What are some easy things I can do with it beyond just "fry in a pan"?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

http://redcook.net/2008/01/18/hong-shao-rou-red-cooked-pork/
make hong shao rou!! gravity posted a recipe in the chinese thread too

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I got a jar of piri piri peppers in oil, what should I make? Any tried and tested Moroccan recipes?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm curious... can someone make harissa with piri piri in oil instead of using dried piri piri?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious... can someone make harissa with piri piri in oil instead of using dried piri piri?

Why wouldn't they be able to?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Harissa's a good idea, I just got a bag of quinoa... But I'm worried about the spice level. Besides piri piri, I have fresh thai chilies and some spicy dried indian chilies, would it still be edible?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why wouldn't they be able to?
It seems all hot sauce recipes call for dried chiles. I was wondering if there was something about chiles in oil that prevented them from being used in hot sauce, but I guess not?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

It seems all hot sauce recipes call for dried chiles. I was wondering if there was something about chiles in oil that prevented them from being used in hot sauce, but I guess not?

I think they recommend dried because of ease of sourcing. Fresh is always better, fresh preserved next, then whole dried. Harissa is a fairly oily sauce. Chilies and oil would work fine, just cut back on the oil component.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think they recommend dried because of ease of sourcing. Fresh is always better, fresh preserved next, then whole dried. Harissa is a fairly oily sauce. Chilies and oil would work fine, just cut back on the oil component.

I don;t think you can make a sweeping statement like "fresh is always better," really. Drying peppers changes the flavor. Sometimes you want that change.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

dino. posted:

For that amount of flour, you'd be safe with anywhere between 3 - 4 teaspoons, actually. Unless you're one of those who is terrified of the horrors of salt.

I don't think anyone in my family has ever used that much salt ever. In anything. I'm very curious to try it with that much salt now.

Thanks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

I don;t think you can make a sweeping statement like "fresh is always better," really. Drying peppers changes the flavor. Sometimes you want that change.

I personally don't think that there is any ripening nor otherwise beneficial change from desiccation. The only difference could be an oxidation process or an evaporative process which is analogous to staling or loss of flavor. As with all other spices, fresh is always better. Unless you like the papery oxidized flavor drying adds. I don't.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What should I do with some cod filets?

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I know indoor electric grills aren't highly recommended, but what's the best one I could purchase? I'm not planning on doing more than grilling chicken and maybe a steak or two on it. My budget is ~$200. Thanks!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Induction hob?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MVN1M6

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Anyone have a good recipe for baked beans that would be edible tomorrow evening if I started it around 10:00am?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

As with all other spices, fresh is always better.
You use black peppercorns that haven't been dried? Or sichuan peppers? And chipotles are by definition not fresh. Are tien tsins ever used fresh? I've only seen dried.

Anyway, I strongly disagree that fresh is always better. Flavours change with drying or smoking or pickling and so on, and there are situations when you want the different flavour, consistency, texture, or whatever. Do you seriously never use a dry rub?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

You use black peppercorns that haven't been dried? Or sichuan peppers? And chipotles are by definition not fresh. Are tien tsins ever used fresh? I've only seen dried.

Anyway, I strongly disagree that fresh is always better. Flavours change with drying or smoking or pickling and so on, and there are situations when you want the different flavour, consistency, texture, or whatever. Do you seriously never use a dry rub?

As with all things cooking it's a give/take, I think. Form/function vs flavor benefit and intended use. In a rub, you sacrifice peppery flavor for ease of application and so that you can later develop a pellicle. A pepper paste, although having better pepper flavor, would inhibit pellicle and therefore inhibit adequate bark and smoke ring formation. Since the point of barbecue isn't to make a chile tasting meat, but to make a smoke tasting meat, this is an acceptable trade off because the pepper is only there to balance the flavor of smoke. Fresh peppercorns do taste better than dried, but this is not feasible for everyday cooking because not everyone has a pepper plant. A lot of those examples in your rebuttal were originally dried or otherwise preserved not because they they taste better that way but because they need to last for a period of time beyond harvest, be it for shipping (most common) or even just because a growing season is short and you want to have the ingredient year round, or they were dried to fit a function, like sichuan peppercorns, to easily remove the hard dark seed.

tl;dr the flavor of *blank* is always better fresh. Not all circumstances warrant or even require such strong presentation of *blank*. In some circumstances, the form or technique required of an ingredient is greatly hindered by its fresh form. In these circumstances it is acceptable or sometimes preferred to use a modified or otherwise adulterated *blank*. These are to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

fake edit: Yay pedantic arguments!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

tl;dr the flavor of *blank* is always better fresh.
For some definition of `better' which actually means `less desirable', a situation in which most people would instead use the word `worse'.

It is certainly true that a fresh spice and a dried (or smoked or pickled or whatever) spice will be different, but that doesn't entail `better', particularly if you're not trying to argue that one should always prefer one over the other. Which is good, because that would be asinine.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I just bought 3lbs of coffee and I have heard conflicting ideas on how to store it. I have always kept it in the freezer, but I have read that you shouldn't do that. What is the right way to keep it fresh? 2lbs are whole and 1lb is ground if that makes a difference.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

The Dregs posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for baked beans that would be edible tomorrow evening if I started it around 10:00am?

Bring dried navy beans to a boil, then put in a 275 degree oven for about an hour and a half. Follow with any garden variety baked beans recipe. Bacon, molasses, onions, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, etc. You don't even have to start it at 10 am, the boiling and oven technique will restore any dried beans pretty quickly.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

fake edit: Yay pedantic arguments!

I prefer dried bay leaves and dried figs.

This argument isn't pedantic.. this argument about "pedantic" is, though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

I prefer dried bay leaves and dried figs.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that one is just weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like lots of dried fruit as much or more than fresh, it concentrates the flavor and makes it a different experience.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that one is just weird.

I'd probably eaten hundreds of fig newtons before I had a real fig. :shrug:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

As an original defender of dried things (and I still think that in many contexts dried chilies are unequivocally superior to fresh when evaluating taste alone, though in many of these contexts you would also want some fresh chili), I don't get the dried bay leaf comment. Dried figs are good, and I could see preference going either way, but dried bay leaves are so sad compared to fresh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if I've ever seen a fresh bay leaf. I use them so rarely I've never looked, and it was a minor miracle even finding dried ones around here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dry bay is depressing. Fresh bay is fantastic. Makes a great liquor

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Makes a great liquor

I'm doing this. Tomorrow.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen a fresh bay leaf. I use them so rarely I've never looked, and it was a minor miracle even finding dried ones around here.

This seems like a sad little existence.

Casu Marzu posted:

Dry bay is depressing. Fresh bay is fantastic. Makes a great liquor

Do you mean bay leaf liqueur or a vodka infusion (or some other neutral spirit)? Sounds interesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

close to toast posted:

This seems like a sad little existence.

They aren't used in Korean cuisine so it's always a challenge. I might get some fresh ones shipped over, I just hate knowing that I'm only going to use a couple before they dry out on their own.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

They aren't used in Korean cuisine so it's always a challenge. I might get some fresh ones shipped over, I just hate knowing that I'm only going to use a couple before they dry out on their own.

so use them all you unimaginative shitsucker

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Make a wreath and proclaim yourself Praetor.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I just did two pounds of chicken thighs in chicken broth in my pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Poured in two jars of salsa, a bunch of taco spices, and a (drained) can of kidney beans, simmered til there wasn't much liquid left and stirred/mashed til the chicken came apart. It's oh so tender.

What did I just make?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A huge mistake

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Maybe I'll think that tomorrow on the toilet, but right now, it's so delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Technically you made salsa chicken, which is one of the most polarizing dishes this forum has seen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You should've used 30 (fresh) bay leaves.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I was happy that I found chicken for 34 yen/100 grams at Hanamasa tonight, but now I've found that I've made one of the most polarizing dishes this forum has ever seen!

Who am I kidding... what do I care? Chicken at 34 yen/100 grams and it's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Awesome, apparently google can convert ¥/100g to $/lb (The answer is $2/lb). Anyway, I'd say it kind of sounds like a cross between chicken chili/stew/pulled pork (but with chicken). You've got beans & tomato (chili) Chicken stock (good for a chicken stew) and you pulled everything apart after cooking off a bunch of liquid (kind of like pulled pork). Did the beans get mashed? Then you've got some refried beans in there too!

I'd suggest using your own spice blend, you could probably make it better that way. Less salt, since you should correct the seasoning at the end, and you can add spices you like and leave out ones you don't.

Then instead of salsa you could add some good, fresh tomatoes and peppers and onions, although I don't know if you can get those in japan. If not, I guess there's really no way to improve on salsa.

Since you have a pressure cooker, definitely cook the beans yourself next time. I've always heard its easier in a pressure cooker, and it's definitely cheaper and tastier when you make them yourself. I don't know if they sell dry kidney beans in japan, but you could probably use azuki beans instead, they're from Japan.