Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Whelp, it's usually pretty quiet around our place regarding fireworks. SoCal is a different story and apparently freaks Koji the gently caress out. Oh boy, this should be a fun week. :(

In other news, this popped up in my facebook today. The caption read something like: Why does Spot ignore me after his summer cut? QQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

paisleyfox posted:

Whelp, it's usually pretty quiet around our place regarding fireworks. SoCal is a different story and apparently freaks Koji the gently caress out. Oh boy, this should be a fun week. :(

In other news, this popped up in my facebook today. The caption read something like: Why does Spot ignore me after his summer cut? QQ

Jesus, I can't believe they shaved so much of his head

On the plus side, he looks like he's wearing a Japanese Noh mask

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

paisleyfox posted:

Holy crap! What the hell kinda cut is that?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

He looks like Brian from Family Guy. :3:

But why the gently caress would you do that to your dog? :psyduck:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Shebrew posted:

On the plus side, he looks like he's wearing a Japanese Noh mask

Considering the lettering in the lower right-hand corner, maybe that was the intent?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I think the picture is from Taiwan? I don't really know, one of my fb friends who speaks Chinese was translating it on a breeder's "wtf" share. v:shobon:v

BONUS~!

A webpage for a online Shiba breeder. http://www.myshiba.com/Shiba-Inu-Shedding

:downs: posted:

Do Shiba Inus Shed?
One of the most common asked questions we receive is if Shiba Inus shed a lot. Majority of people have the misconception that they do since there are numerous articles on the Internet stating that they do. However, we would disagree with that statement.

They have 25 breeding females and 5 studs. :psyduck:

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 3, 2012

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

paisleyfox posted:

I think the picture is from Taiwan? I don't really know, one of my fb friends who speaks Chinese was translating it on a breeder's "wtf" share. v:shobon:v

BONUS~!

Who all live outside in crates, therefore no shedding. :downs:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I like to market my breed of choice by pretending they are a different breed. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://gma.yahoo.com/study-links-cat-litter-box-increased-suicide-risk-194116398--abc-news-health.html Scientists now believe cats may make you suicidal.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

paisleyfox posted:

BONUS~!

dang man those studs get a lot of action

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Holy crap, thank you guys for telling me to get the easy lead harness. It works SO WELL to keep Feldman from pulling constantly. It's totally worth the money!

Now to find something that makes his farts not kill small animals with a single whiff.

edit: Also he turned 9 months old yesterday. :toot:

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 3, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow was not impressed when I made him model the newest collar I "made" (just modified an old belt) today.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Are you aware that you are the proud owner of a rare and valuable Purple (Nose) Dog?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
brb gonna un-neuter him and make millions off the puppies~

The filter went a little crazy with the color but every time I removed it I didn't like it as much. :saddowns:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but cooked pork ribs (I made slow-cooker baby back ribs tonight) are NOT okay for Mr. Dog, right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but cooked pork ribs (I made slow-cooker baby back ribs tonight) are NOT okay for Mr. Dog, right?

Uh, without the bone in them? It'd depend on what's in the sauce more than anything.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

paisleyfox posted:

Those Shibas are ugly! I like how they're all "Champion Lines". Some of them seriously look like they've been living outside for years. Look at their coats! Daisy needs a good brushing. :argh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Uh, without the bone in them? It'd depend on what's in the sauce more than anything.

No, I meant the ribs themselves, the actual bones. The meat was delicious, but I'll be damned if I sat here smelling those things cook all day just to give them to Ooka. He wouldn't appreciate it enough.

I can't remember if they splinter or whatever because they're pork or because they're cooked, but I just wanted to make sure before I threw them out.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Cooked bones tend to splinter. Raw bones are the only way to go, and if they have issues with chewing thoroughly then no animals bigger than yours (Zoso can only have duck or rabbit bones now).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool, thanks. That was what I remembered, but like I said, just wanted to be sure before I pitched them.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

I think Marvin makes it his life mission to climb onto my lap whenever he needs to fart.

Every. Single. Time.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Can I ask a fish question here? My son has an aquarium. He really wanted a fiddler crab, but they were sold out, so I got him an electric blue crayfish. His name is "Lightning" because he's electric and my son is 9 and though that was awesome cool. We have had him a couple months and he seems well adjusted and stopped eating the other fish. He eats shrimp and algae pellets, and table scraps.

Anyway, if I were to toss a couple fiddler crabs in there, would they get along or fight to the death?

I have googled up on it, and it seems like a bad idea, but I don't really trust random internet strangers (except the one's that post HERE) Has anyone done this without a bloodbath?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:3: Very cute. I have no idea what the answer is, but if no aquarium keepers see your post in here you can try posting in the aquarium thread as well: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892365

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Fraction posted:

I have to brag about my dog right now.

Yesterday a ~strange adult man~ was in the same room as Lola. He even said hello to her and tried briefly to get her to come over to him. She didn't; but because she had her ball she was fairly relaxed and didn't bark. She only growled once (when Jess barked when he came in).

And today we went on a bike ride just as the schools were letting out (oops). She didn't bark at a single kid, only hard-stared at one that was jumping around. She also came face to face with two off leash dogs, just after I'd let her off for 30 seconds to get through a really narrow thing on my bike. She was okay with the calm weim but got upset and barked/lunged at the bouncy collie mix, but came back to me when I called and didn't have a fit at the leashed dog that passed close by seconds later. Maybe my dog doesn't hate dogs as much as I thought!

I think our training is paying off a bit :3:

Yay, it's awesome to hear that your training is paying off.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
One of my parents' new cats has taken to bringing me toys and stolen socks and dropping them next to my bed. :3: This morning I woke up to about seven toys and two socks.

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Can I ask a fish question here? My son has an aquarium. He really wanted a fiddler crab, but they were sold out, so I got him an electric blue crayfish. His name is "Lightning" because he's electric and my son is 9 and though that was awesome cool. We have had him a couple months and he seems well adjusted and stopped eating the other fish. He eats shrimp and algae pellets, and table scraps.

Anyway, if I were to toss a couple fiddler crabs in there, would they get along or fight to the death?

I have googled up on it, and it seems like a bad idea, but I don't really trust random internet strangers (except the one's that post HERE) Has anyone done this without a bloodbath?

Yeah, don't mix fiddler crabs and your crayfish. Fiddler crabs are brackish and also need places to get out of the water. Even if they weren't brackish they probably kill each other.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

rawrr posted:

Yay, it's awesome to hear that your training is paying off.

I know! :3:

My friend sent me this on FB, with the message, 'this reminds me of you, only if it were dogs'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

To all you cat and dog people, this is apparently what we seem to non-animal folk :v:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Happy 4th of July! Quaffle got a hot dog, french fries, and macaroni salad. He ate them kind of slowly and suspiciously though like he thought it was a trick or maybe I was trying to poison him. :ohdear:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
There is a tiny babby kitten in my house and she won't get off my neck. :catstare:

My best friend was visiting her girlfriend upstate and got handed this kitten at an agricultural fair, after having heard that all of its siblings and barn cat mother had been killed by a neighboring dog and the owners of the property had been planning to just let the survivor starve. The kitten is a little tabby female, goopy eyed and sneezy, and probably just under 5 weeks; she's still chubby and tiny and unsteady. My friend's girlfriend, who is now in Sweden for a summer program, begged her to take the kitten for her and she'd keep it, so that's the plan so far. The little rat will have a home with my friend if not. (Seriously, my last surviving old man rat is bigger than her.)

My friend had to go away for the 4th, and she didn't anticipate having a kitten when she made those plans so she begged me to take her on for the next two days, knowing I am a useless sucker. I had no idea the kitten was so young; she mentioned she thought it was 6-7 weeks, and there's no way. She's not litterbox trained (oh gently caress me) and I caught her in the act of attempting to pee on my bed and quickly plopped her in the box, but I'm understandably worried about the possibility of kitten pee. :ohdear:

Here's what I know from past PI threads:

-I mixed KMR and wet food for her, and she's nomming on that like a pro

-A bath in Dawn dish soap is in her future

-I'm watching her like a hawk, and if she starts to dig and crouch, I pop her in the box, but she usually just pops right back out, little baggage.

Here's what I need to know:

-How often does a five week old kitten need to urinate/defecate? I don't think I need to be stimulating her, but should I pop her in the box at certain times, like after she's woken up from a nap or after eating? That's what I've been doing, but I'm at a loss as to how often or when she's likely to need the box. Caaaats.

-She's got a URI for sure, and once my friend gets back from her trip tomorrow, a vet visit is booked, but what can I do OTC and at home to help combat some of the sniffles and eye goop?

-Should I offer her dry food?

-She won't stop attempting to sleep in my neck, and it's highly uncomfortable while also cute. I don't want a kitten parrot; last night trying to sleep like that was hell. How do I discourage this?

I'm about to take some pics of her, so I'll edit those in real fast as a thank you in advance for advice. She looks like Weebie. Anyone remember Weebie?

Eta: PICS!

For now, her name is Little Boots.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 4, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Do you have a spare dog crate, Captain Foxy? They're super handy for parking kittens overnight, with a heat source, so that you don't have kitten-neck.

From what I recall of the last time I had a kitten that age in the house, it was pretty hard to predict how often she'd decide she needed to poop or pee. The litterbox stuff tends to catch on pretty quickly, at least. When they aren't too busy playing.

If she's doing well on wet food, I'd honestly stick with that since it's just a couple of days. They do make kitten kibble with extra-small pieces, though.

Why the bath with Dawn? Is she particularly greasy and smelly?

e. pics! Excuse me while I make ridiculous squeaking noises now. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Dawn bath is because she has fleas, and I've read that that's a safe and non-toxic way to get them off animals who are too young for topical treatments (?). Seen it recommended a few times before.

I have a dog crate, and I actually popped her in my Sherpa carrier last night after experiencing the hell of sudden wake up via kitten claws.

I just nabbed her again from peeing on the bed and we had another successful box pee. I petted her and cooed to her and gave her a nibble of wet food during and after. I think I just need to really watch her and get her used to it; she doesn't bury her pee so I don't think she's ever seen an adult use a litter box. I felt really dumb trying to convince her to bury it by scratching around in the litter. :downs:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I don't think my foster kittens had figured out burying stuff in the box at that point. Sometimes they'd make gestures towards it but they definitely didn't have that down--or they just didn't have the attention span for it.

Sure, Dawn should be safe! I was just wondering what the situation was.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

^^^ Congratulations on your kitty Foxy! What does Keeper think of her?

Happy Fourth of July!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Keeper thinks he's the daddy

I told him to wear a condom but did he listen? Nooooo. And now I have his illegitimate offspring to raise when I should be enjoying my golden years.

ETA: Definitely not keeping this babby, cute as she is. She has a good home with my friend's girlfriend, a responsible and sensible young lady. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well look what I'm petsitting for a few days.

Fortunately they give no fucks about cats.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Aha I always love photos of cats sticking their necks out to maximum capacity to investigate something. :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This was pinned as a "Goberian" (Golden Retriever/Siberian Husky). Designer dogs are annoying enough, but neither of them even carry the merle gene! Still. Cute puppy.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Invalid Octopus posted:

This was pinned as a "Goberian" (Golden Retriever/Siberian Husky). Designer dogs are annoying enough, but neither of them even carry the merle gene! Still. Cute puppy.

MUST be named Gober the Goberian.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Lmao there are fireworks going off and Frankie is under my desk right now with shoelaces of drool like a foot long hanging out of both sides of his mouth. I'm being mean by going "FRANKIE!" and making him jump and I should feel bad but I don't. I gave him preemptive anxiety meds he has for thunderstorms/fireworks earlier, but they never really work- he freaks out just as badly, but he's too zonked to try to jump out of windows/injure himself like he would otherwise.

Moses is watching the fireworks through the window, and when one of them explodes really good and big he thinks that is very cool and he tries to bite it. He keeps smacking his face on the window when he does. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Man. Balen does not like fireworks. I'm glad they aren't allowed to shoot them off. Last time I shot off fireworks at home, I accidentally locked him in a bathroom (I thought he wasn't in it, closed the door). Came back in, walls were eaten. Door was mauled. Drool everywhere. He ran up to me and crushed his head against me, shaking, totally terrified half to death. I made it all better with a milkbone and a lot of lovins.

:razz: Thankfully, it didn't matter. That was the bathroom I burned down a bit more than a year later!

• Locked thread