Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Pesky Splinter posted:

They all look absolutely loving terrifying.

Here's the ones they released ages before announcing the new game:

Where are their eyes, where are their eyes? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like a creepy KH entomological exhibit. I love the tweezers carefully picking out the preserved moogle specimen for analysis.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Where are their eyes, where are their eyes? :gonk:

They may not have eyes, but they have the all-important rosy cheek circle.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OneTrueBru posted:

It's like a creepy KH entomological exhibit. I love the tweezers carefully picking out the preserved moogle specimen for analysis.

I'm more concerned about Blackface Ansem in the left hand corner.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Donald Duck literally looks like a kid dressing up, with a duck bill on a piece of string. The mind boggles as to how you could make this art-style look more unappealing than Cagnazzo's rear end-chin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Allan Assiduity posted:

Donald Duck literally looks like a kid dressing up, with a duck bill on a piece of string. The mind boggles as to how you could make this art-style look more unappealing than Cagnazzo's rear end-chin.

To be (slightly) fair, that's the intent. At least in the social thing, it's supposed to be your avatars dressing up, not actually the character.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

:toot:

My strategy came down to a lot of cheesing — my Dragoon dual-wielded Dragon Spears and jumped on Shinryu's head repeatedly, my Blue Mage cast Berserk on him with the Wonder Wand, and then Blue Mage and Ninja alternated between throwing up !Image and stuffing Phoenix Downs down people's throats.

I have no idea how I'm going to beat Omega with this setup!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

To be (slightly) fair, that's the intent. At least in the social thing, it's supposed to be your avatars dressing up, not actually the character.

Or parading around in their torn-off skins, a la Buffalo Bill.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is nightmare-inducing. Aren't there stories about faceless dolls that would steal your face while you slept?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh for god's sakes, stop being so melodramatic.

You goons, i swear.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Do you think Garland only has a helmet on to protect his own face?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I really like the :downs: art style. It's cute, it fits the game, and looks way better than, say, the sprites used in FFIV PSP or Dimensions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Beat one of the TAY's three super-bosses. Lord Dragon's biggest threat was Doom, but I used both my Light Curtains and managed to reflect the one time it was cast. Other than that, spam X-Potions and Elixirs as necessary, recast Haste through Masamune when Cursed Elegy cancels it out, and attack like hell.

As for the other two super-bosses, one can inflict Stop and I can't do anything about it. The other can use Laser late in its battle, which deals 9999 to Edge. I could try to gamble with it not using Laser at all, but I already got lucky enough last battle not seeing it for a long time, so I don't know if I'll try again.

Stuck on the penultimate story battle, as the boss is pretty drat fast with tons of nasty Black Magic. I'll probably swap to a Black Magic - moon, even if it means I lose out on the fun of dealing 5k damage a hit with an Attack + moon. Hopefully that'll let me heal less often and balance out the reduced damage.

Otherwise, I do have twelve more levels I could grind...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pw pw pw posted:

You goons, i swear.

Okay, okay, it's not scary boo hoo hoo, it's just loving ugly as a fresh stack of poo poo.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You're crazy, man, those dolls are adorable. And I don't even like 75% of final fantasy.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Personally, I have nothing against the art style they've used for the dolls, but they do need to have eyes.

jivjov posted:

The ones in Theatrhythm do have eyes. I think it's just those work in progress "samples" that don't.

I know.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hedera Helix posted:

Personally, I have nothing against the art style they've used for the dolls, but they do need to have eyes.

The ones in Theatrhythm do have eyes. I think it's just those work in progress "samples" that don't.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

pw pw pw posted:

You goons, i swear.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hey, FFT:A2 question: If I didn't like the first game but generally enjoy SRPGs and collect-a-thons like Disgaea/FFT, is it possible to enjoy this one?

A friend told me it looks and plays a lot better than the first and said it was worth a try. The biggest thing that irked me about the first is that he said the laws system is a lot less strict. I'm not totally convinced but it does actually look better and I've been trying to scratch that RPG itch with a lot of games I've already played before and failing, so can anyone recommend it?

Oh yeah, and does it have missables or a 100% system or anything? I've grown to dislike following a walkthrough to get obscure poo poo but I still have trouble playing through a game knowing in the back of my head that I'm missing items and characters left and right.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that depends largely on what you disliked about the prior game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Minrad posted:

Hey, FFT:A2 question: If I didn't like the first game but generally enjoy SRPGs and collect-a-thons like Disgaea/FFT, is it possible to enjoy this one?

A friend told me it looks and plays a lot better than the first and said it was worth a try. The biggest thing that irked me about the first is that he said the laws system is a lot less strict. I'm not totally convinced but it does actually look better and I've been trying to scratch that RPG itch with a lot of games I've already played before and failing, so can anyone recommend it?

Oh yeah, and does it have missables or a 100% system or anything? I've grown to dislike following a walkthrough to get obscure poo poo but I still have trouble playing through a game knowing in the back of my head that I'm missing items and characters left and right.

Laws no longer give you penalties for breaking them, you just don't get bonus rewards at the end of the battle. Bonus rewards which are basically 100% useless and ignorable.

As for the missables absolutely, positutely never, ever ever sell crafting ingredients if you do not know they come from a repeatable mission. You'd think getting white yarn would be easy but nope, you get one. If you want to unlock the associated item and sold your one tough poo poo. You could consider a guide to look up item combinations for the in game item manufacturing system or you could just kill everything with no regard or fear and just unlock whatever you have at the time. There isn't anything that you 100% must get to win from the auction house and going at a natural, impulsive and random rate will get you everything you need.

Other than that the game is staggeringly breakable. Its not really an effort to set up a magic caster who hits full screen every turn for 50%-75% of enemy health with whatever elemental damage you'd prefer. Nor is it hard to build a character immune to all melee attacks who 100% counters them with two weapons each of which can one-shot people.

The game has a lot of side quests and post game content that is fun and engaging and there's even some neat little epilogue style story content too. The bizarre gambling mini-game you have to participate in to get more territories never really makes sense or becomes fun and ugh it sucks and thank god its 100% optional.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Minrad posted:

Yeah, I found the first game to be a chore, but I sunk a ton of hours into the second one and enjoyed it a lot. The penalty for breaking a law is you can't revive people, but most of the battles are easy enough that that's rarely a problem. Also, you lose out on the extra battle rewards (crafting ingredients).

As for the "Guide dang it" aspect, you're in a hard position if you don't want to use guides in an RPG, but are bothered if your'e not getting everything. You're going to miss stuff, or not going to know the ingredient combinations to use to get the best stuff, or what-have-you. You don't need to get everything, or get it as soon as possible though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FFTA2 is a neat little game. Don't go in expecting another FFT. Also the optional content is like 80% of the game so don't rush through all the story stuff.

I think my party of 5 were all incredibly overpowered by the end, there are a lot of combos that are just really good.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just started playing FFIV, which I should have ages ago. Was music from this reused in XII, or am I listening to music from XII put into the PSP version?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The Prologue theme? That was an FF4 song before it got redone for 12's main menu for some reason. (Edit: Ah, that was Nobuo's contribution to the soundtrack. It was the only song he did for 12)

Most of 12's soundtrack was done by Sakimoto and Iwata, who also worked on FFT, so the soundtracks are very similar.

Minera fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 5, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Prologue pops up in a lot of FF games, usually during the beginning or ending. It's probably most memorable in FF4, though it's appeared as early as the first game.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Mega64 posted:

The Prologue pops up in a lot of FF games, usually during the beginning or ending. It's probably most memorable in FF4, though it's appeared as early as the first game.

God, I love FF4's version. It's so grandiose.

Miracon fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 5, 2012

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That puts me to shame, 'cos for all my FF playing I only remember it playing really loudly at the start of XII.

Now I've looked it up and it's in all but 3 games, how did I not notice that?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Oops! I love the soundtracks for most of the games but I never took note it was as core as the crystal theme.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
FFIV's is most memorable because it's set over the opening narration (text scroll, of course, the SNES could only do so much). Putting it over opening/closing credits like every single other game is neat, but it doesn't feel like it ties into the story like FFIV's does.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I haven't seen any discussion on this, so here it is: http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

FFVII to be re(-re-re-)released on PC, digital download only. Achievements (meh), Cloud Saves (ha ha), and Character Boosters (Seriously: "Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure." In a single player game???). I think I might finally get around to play VII to completion.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I hope there's an achievement for never touching the character booster.

Kind of annoying that it's exclusive to their own store, I was hoping it'd be on Steam. The game's been in the Steam registry for how many years now?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
A pay-for-cheats system in a single player PC game you say? :allears:

This is a low effort cash grab by the suits. Pretty disappointing even with a minimum of build up and no lack of cynicism already.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 5, 2012

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The best part is that everyone is absolutely sure that there HAS to be a new translation or some HD backgrounds or updated models or SOMETHING because it would be so drat low effort otherwise!

And at the same time they're advertising it with thirty six whole achievements!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Didn't the PC version have a better translation than the PSX version already? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Amppelix posted:

(In a single player game???)

It makes more sense in a single player game than not. At least in a single player game, your decision to cheat (in a sense) doesn't harm anyone and allows you to see the story to its conclusion - it's the same sort of mindset (which I honestly don't see a problem with) behind such ideas as the Nintendo idea that would let you bypass boss fights or stages in games that you couldn't finish to continue experiencing the story.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Cheats in some form or fashion have always been a part of games, to the point of being as recognizable or more so than the games that feature them, i.e. The Konami Code.

The issue is using it as a selling point.

In a multiplayer game the temptation to buy your way to victory or at least bypass some designed, intrinsic tedium, it makes sense as monetization.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 5, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Right. A selling point such that, if you can't get past some of the legit roadblocks of the game (at least without advanced mechanical knowledge of FF7), you can still see the story. That makes sense (at least to me) as a selling point.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Trasson posted:

FFIV's is most memorable because it's set over the opening narration (text scroll, of course, the SNES could only do so much). Putting it over opening/closing credits like every single other game is neat, but it doesn't feel like it ties into the story like FFIV's does.

FFI had it over the opening narration on the bridge, too. I was angry as a kid when "Final Fantasy 3" on the SNES broke tradition and didn't put it until the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Didn't the PC version have a better translation than the PSX version already? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

It had an improved translation but only in that it fixed some of the most massively egregious errors. (Tseng 'dying' for example.) It was still pretty bad, but not as hilariously bad. I don't think it actually changed Aeris to Aerith tho' or anything like that, just fixed a few things which actively made no sense.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 5, 2012