Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Neither of my dogs care. Angus is sleeping through it and Eva pops her head up once in a while when an especially loud one goes off. She wasn't a fan when I went out and set off some M-80's and whistling bottle rockets but that was because I didn't bring her with. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess I'm lucky but also a little bored, Ooka just gives no shits about fireworks. They're going off all around us and he's just chillin', licking his foot or whatever.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle isn't reacting either, except when I go outside to watch, he stands just inside the door with his normal derpy expression, wagging his tail. But he won't take one step outside, he just watches me like he thinks I'm retarded for risking my life out there when I could be in our nice safe bunker of a house instead.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Ugh, I'm jealous of you guys. :( Shadow doesn't react as badly as he used to, he just lays down and trembles now. I borrowed someone's crate tonight, put his bed in it, and covered it with a dark blanket to be a cozy, safe place... but of course he has no interest whatsoever. :geno: He only got in there when I was in there with him. I think maybe he prefers being in the open where he feels he can escape quickly if need be. His Thundershirt and Rescue Remedy help him relax. He can even almost sleep when the fireworks are calmer, which is a pretty huge improvement.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major has decided that today isn't a day to poop but is otherwise fine with all the fireworks/thunderstorms/random shooting we've had today. Last year he needed extra meds, his thundershirt and nonstop loaded kongs to keep from spending the day pressed into a corner shaking. With some extra work on sound desensitization this year he hasn't needed any of it.

I'm so proud of my sweet man :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
MSNBC is having a Lock Up marathon today (it's a documentary reality show about prisons) and the one that was just on had a segment about a cat adoption program at one of the prisons. The prisoners, even ones on death row, adopt a cat from a local shelter. It saves a cat's life and gives the prisoners something to focus on that will give them affection and companionship. Prison kitties. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Aravenna posted:

MSNBC is having a Lock Up marathon today (it's a documentary reality show about prisons) and the one that was just on had a segment about a cat adoption program at one of the prisons. The prisoners, even ones on death row, adopt a cat from a local shelter. It saves a cat's life and gives the prisoners something to focus on that will give them affection and companionship. Prison kitties. :3:

I love seeing that on the show. Even murderers love kitties. Almost everything they do is to make their cat happy.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Spice doesn't give a poo poo about the fireworks, even with my windows and screen door open. He is totally laid out asleep on the floor while a big, loud show goes on over our heads. I can't believe how mild this old dog is.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Aravenna posted:

This sounds like a really good idea. It saves the cat and gives the prisoners something constructive to focus on, a possibility to express affection and other assorted feelings in a socially acceptable manner and all that good stuff.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I had no clue how Kiya would react and I waited until dark to walk her just cuz it was so drat hot and humid. She was pretty freaked out,but never shut down or anything. Instead of running around sniffing, she glued herself to my leg. Pretty sure I kneed her in the face a good 100 times. But bright side, that was the fastest she ever decided to drop a load. So I guess they literally scared the poo poo out of her. :rimshot:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Invalid Octopus posted:

This was pinned as a "Goberian" (Golden Retriever/Siberian Husky). Designer dogs are annoying enough, but neither of them even carry the merle gene! Still. Cute puppy.

Looks like a purebred Australian shepherd puppy to me...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

RazorBunny posted:

Looks like a purebred Australian shepherd puppy to me...

I see aussie/husky - husky for those bright blue eyes. I don't know if Aussies can or tend to have blue eyes like that?

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Well, we survived the 4th of July, somehow. Honestly, Burt didn't mind the fireworks at all, and slept through most of it. Ginny, on the other hand, turns into a screaming ball of rage when the noise starts (and it started early in the morning yesterday and continued well into the night.) I'd rather if she just went and hid until it was over, but instead she runs around barking her head off, and then when she gets tired from that winds up sitting on the couch, head thrown back, screaming. For hours. We tried giving her a treat every time a firecracker went off, and that worked in the afternoon when they were intermittent, but by the time the sun went down it was coming from every direction and she'd already eaten about four dinners worth of kibble. We had the AC on, a movie on TV with the volume cranked up as high as it would go and all of the windows shut, but the evening still culminated with her expressing her anal glands all over the couch cover and then finally collapsing in exhaustion. Thanks, dog.

At least it started raining around midnight, so we were finally able to get some sleep!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fraction posted:

I see aussie/husky - husky for those bright blue eyes. I don't know if Aussies can or tend to have blue eyes like that?

They frequently do, especially as puppies. My sister's Aussie had some siblings with the crazy bright blue eyes, though hers are more of a green color.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Fraction posted:

My Landlord has a red Merle border collie who had bright blue eyes as a puppy and now has cool blue green flecked eyes. So it could be a BC too maybe.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
How the poo poo do you not notice that a goddamn great dane is in your bathroom before you close the door

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

How the poo poo do you not notice that a goddamn great dane is in your bathroom before you close the door

I didn't check behind the bathtub shower curtain. I am 100% serious. The entire shower curtain was torn down.. because he was fast asleep in the tub. I guess he was hot and it was cool in there. Didn't even occur to me because I'd thought he was back on his bed in the bedroom, all the way across the house. I mean, I'd seen him there literally like 10 minutes prior. He'd made a habit of drinking out of the toilet, I was trying to break it, we weren't going to be in there to watch him so the bathroom door had to be closed.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fraction posted:

Aussies are the Impressionist paintings of the dog world.

The "Goberian" looks just like a typical Aussie pup to me.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman barked a couple of times at a particularly loud firework, but that was it. The rest of the time he was just chilling, or getting Real Mad at his Tug-A-Jug, which he's too dumb to figure out.

Also I want an Aussie. They are so awesome looking, like they've been cobbled together out of different dog parts. Frankendog. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Can someone please explain to me why the gently caress some business lot outside my town is having a "Small Animal Swap" this weekend? Who the hell would go to or host such a thing?! :mad:

BRB, just going to the Small Animal Swap to pick up a bushel of Guinea Pigs~

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

TVs Ian posted:

Can someone please explain to me why the gently caress some business lot outside my town is having a "Small Animal Swap" this weekend? Who the hell would go to or host such a thing?! :mad:

Go and see if you see anyone in a chinchilla coat

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Also I want an Aussie. They are so awesome looking, like they've been cobbled together out of different dog parts. Frankendog. :3:

I hope you either really enjoy spending all your free time training/exercising it or you really enjoy having a very neurotic, obnoxious dog.

There's this lady I've been seeing lately in the park with two tricolor Aussies. They came up and barked at Shadow today (to which she responded with repeated leash corrections). They're... kind of ugly. I like Aussies, I think they're pretty, but these just... weren't. They had these weird, small heads. I think Cohen has just spoiled me on Aussies.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Whelp, I just found out Koji does not care for fireworks one bit. We for some reason don't have any neighbors in the Dallas areas we've lived that has ever set off fireworks or bottle rockets or anything so we've never seen him react to them before.

I wrapped him in his thundershirt with plenty of dap, gave him a chewie in his crate, covered it with a dap blanket and closed all the windows and doors. Came home from a short run out to dinner to my dog covered in blood and crying from the noises since he tried to dig his way out of the crate and ended up splitting pretty much every nail. The room just smelled like blood as soon as you opened the door :( I had to hold him very tight until they stopped a little after midnight before I could get him to calm down and let him go. I guess I need some acepromazine for next time, 1/2 a pill calmed him right down the first firecracker he heard when my friend was watching him last weekend.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

TVs Ian posted:

The hillbillies here do this too. It's full of lovely small animal breeders. Oh, and rabbit breeders getting rid of their ~*~*~best in show~*~*~*~ doe because she eats her babies or some poo poo.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Rodent Mortician posted:

The hillbillies here do this too. It's full of lovely small animal breeders. Oh, and rabbit breeders getting rid of their ~*~*~best in show~*~*~*~ doe because she eats her babies or some poo poo.

Rabbits are cheap = rabbits for dinner :chef:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

There's one on my town held at the abandoned school yard. Here it's mostly chickens, meat rabbits, and bummer lambs with the occasional wormy barn kitten thrown in. My town has less than 2,000 people so its mostly just an excuse for rednecks to get together on a Saturday and try to offload a nasty roo on a neighbor you don't like.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Sounds like our 'fur and feather' auctions - poultry, rabbits and the occasional ferret. I don't know if I'd consider the participants 'lovely small animal breeders', at least not over here. It's just a convenient way to source your poultry and meat rabbits v:shobon:v.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman barked a couple of times at a particularly loud firework, but that was it. The rest of the time he was just chilling, or getting Real Mad at his Tug-A-Jug, which he's too dumb to figure out.

Just cus of the Merle or what? Do you think tricolors look like Frankendogs too?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I think of them as the patchwork quilts of the dog world. Or the hippie water balloons-full-of-paint-then-you--throw-darts-at-them artwork of the dog world. Or maybe they're more like a Monet.

Frankie is a Picasso.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

notsoape posted:

Sounds like our 'fur and feather' auctions - poultry, rabbits and the occasional ferret. I don't know if I'd consider the participants 'lovely small animal breeders', at least not over here. It's just a convenient way to source your poultry and meat rabbits v:shobon:v.

Yeah in my experience our fur/feather auctions aren't so much places to find or offload lovely pets, but places to make contacts and/or get stock.

I want to go to another auction, the last was so much fun :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

notsoape posted:

Yeah pretty much. Around here it's farmers/smallholders/rednecks unloading extra and/or crappy poultry/rabbits/game birds/lambs/piglets and the occasional barn kittens and working pups. The local rescues like to get their panties completely wadded up over it. There was this one lady who kept guinea pigs for meat and would sell them and they harassed her until she stopped going.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah pretty much. Around here it's farmers/smallholders/rednecks unloading extra and/or crappy poultry/rabbits/game birds/lambs/piglets and the occasional barn kittens and working pups. The local rescues like to get their panties completely wadded up over it. There was this one lady who kept guinea pigs for meat and would sell them and they harassed her until she stopped going.

Knowing where we are, and where it is being held, I'm more of the mind that it is rabbits/rodents/fowl/the like from the plethora of borderline-mill breeders that they couldn't unload on Craigslist or Kijiji. And probably at least one crate full of Chihuahua puppies for good measure.

It's not that I have anything inherently against people gathering to swap/sell their stock, whatever species it may be, it's more that the whole of it smacks of ungodly dirty and sickly animals ala` the flea market.

The finely (near illegibly) hand painted sign posted in the middle of the garbage strewn lot of dessicated automobile frames, for instance. I hope they at least sweep up the broken glass.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
This is amusing. :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeFY2-KtD0w

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. It was a craigslist listing for a yorkie puppy. There are no words.

Thought about starting a thread, but wasn't sure where to put it - here, GBS??? Curious about other ridiculous craigslist postings for pets.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

mombot posted:

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. It was a craigslist listing for a yorkie puppy. There are no words.

Thought about starting a thread, but wasn't sure where to put it - here, GBS??? Curious about other ridiculous craigslist postings for pets.

That has got to be a joke. No way that is real....

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

That is what she figured. How would they do monthly house checks anyways if they are moving to China. A bored kid no doubt.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Apidae posted:

I think of them as the patchwork quilts of the dog world. Or the hippie water balloons-full-of-paint-then-you--throw-darts-at-them artwork of the dog world. Or maybe they're more like a Monet.

Frankie is a Picasso.

This, the whole patchwork look is charming. I want one, but would probably never get one. Until I had my own home and the time to dedicate to them. I know my limits!

Also this is incredible. :catdrugs:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Hopefully this wasn't already discussed, but apparently the Wisconsin Humane Society put a controllable webcam and controllable robots for their kitties to be amused with. I haven't checked it out yet, but it might be interesting.
Link to article: http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/play-with-cats-online-through-new-cam-at-wisconsin-humane-society-9860vai-161346615.html

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I was drawn for a limited entry hunt for anterless elk this winter! Delicious elk here I come :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

mombot posted:

Someone make a remake of Sleepaway Camp but with dogs, tia.

Pretty sure that's a troll, I've never heard of someone who would dare let their dog poop on a tiny tissue inside their house. :psyduck:

• Locked thread