Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i swear to god jj abrams is obsessed with lens flares. even the opening titles of alias had fake lens flares that looked really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I was just imagining the worst of star trek, lost, and Whedon together. It would be the perfect storm of overly elaborate mythos with lame quips and probably a musical episode.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
its probably due to the problem when directors get famous and more control they listen to other people less and just go and gently caress it all up

liek star wars (which are not great films not even the first ones but the original trilogy are pretty good fun popcorn adventure films that lucas couldnt do on his own)

is this an agreement lmao or a disagreement lmao?

if you disagree then what have they done thats really good? i liked True Lies, black hawk down, prometheus, cant think of anything else they did that was good but compared to their earlier stuff it was bad

avatar was complete and utter dreck so dont say that one

jj trek was a good film except for all the fuckng lens flares. it was a fun adventure sci fi movie. they should not have had spock in it, totally unrequired

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
prometheus is what you get when you make a lost movie basically

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Gladiator was pretty cool, but I was a 13 year old proto neck beard when I first saw it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
JJ abrams stuff is like...it has the overly broad appeal of poo poo that has been focus grouped to death coupled with a singular focus and vision that comes from a hyper-competent auter

you've gotta respect the guy but at the same time none of it feels personal. it's hyper commercial stuff that thrills massively but is ultimately forgettable

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

E2M3 posted:

is this an agreement lmao or a disagreement lmao?

if you disagree then what have they done thats really good? i liked True Lies, black hawk down, prometheus, cant think of anything else they did that was good but compared to their earlier stuff it was bad

avatar was complete and utter dreck so dont say that one

jj trek was a good film except for all the fuckng lens flares. it was a fun adventure sci fi movie. they should not have had spock in it, totally unrequired

(movies directed by them)

black hawk down, gladiator, american gangster, matchstick men, body of lies, titanic, true lies, at the very least

agreed that the most prolific vulcan in star trek shouldn't have been in a movie about almost all of the vulcans being killed.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Watching Aliens now. How did Cameron gently caress up Space Marines in Avatar when they're so awesome here?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hate how now that I'm an adult I can't figure out how I feel about a film until some time has passed

I hated Children Of Men/loved Avatar when they were first released, but then my opinions switched because I kept thinking about CoM and not Avatar

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

mjs6643 posted:

Watching Aliens now. How did Cameron gently caress up Space Marines in Avatar when they're so awesome here?

how did he "gently caress up space marines"?

what is this stupid idealised vision of space marines in power armor that heinlein/warham retards seek?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hate how now that I'm an adult I can't figure out how I feel about a film until some time has passed

I hated Children Of Men/loved Avatar when they were first released, but then my opinions switched because I kept thinking about CoM and not Avatar

sounds about right

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i remember the marines in avatar being basically the same as the ones in aliens: regular marines wearing plastic spraypainted armour

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, but they were just overly evil in avatar. There was slightly more depth in aliens

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
i'm wil wheaton irl

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

mjs6643 posted:

Yeah, but they were just overly evil in avatar. There was slightly more depth in aliens

they weren't bad guys in aliens though

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
the xenomorphs in aliens and the marines in avatar were just following orders

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm probably biased because I loving hate avatar.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
die hard is the best straight up 80s action movie but i think aliens was a better movie overall

terminator, the road warrior, first blood, and conan the barbarian are the other best 80s action movies

ahhh spiders posted:

(movies directed by them)

black hawk down, gladiator, american gangster, matchstick men, body of lies, titanic, true lies, at the very least

agreed that the most prolific vulcan in star trek shouldn't have been in a movie about almost all of the vulcans being killed.

i didnt like most of those, black hawk down was good and i mentioned true lies already but overall the rest are inferior

i really wanted to like american gangster and matchstick men too but hated htem both

body of lies lol no

titanic i refuse to see so no comment

gladiator i didnt see yet

Bedshaped posted:

i'm wil wheaton irl

i loved your work in the last prostitute and toy soldiers mr wheaton

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
:cripes:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ahhh spiders posted:

i'm not sure i'd call t2 and aliens the best action movies of all time but they're really good. aliens isn't really an action movie

maybe not the best scifi, but probably two of the most influential movies in the action jonrah

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The directors cut of Alien 3 (the real as in not the aborted version that Fox released) is actually a coherent, depressing, moody as gently caress, dark monster movie. And I kind of like it. It's too long though.

I went back and watched the theatrical release and it basically makes no sense.

Got the bluray set on amazon for about 20$ a month ago, it's nice.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
the directors cut of aliens ruins the movie

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ahhh spiders posted:

Aside from the Newt part and the sentry guns, what was different? The Ripleys daughter stuff?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ahhh spiders posted:

deleted scenes are deleted for a reason

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't it add more crap about the colony before the aliens take over?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

Aside from the Newt part and the sentry guns, what was different? The Ripleys daughter stuff?

it can't be this part :ohdear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYGgOXww48

also, rip bob arctor

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

LmaoTheKid posted:

the whole part with the colonists before the marines arrive kills the mystery

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Alien and terminator are horror movies

aliens and t2 are action movies

Alien 3 and terminator 3 are bad movies

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

can we compile a list of "proper" sci fi movies? as in, actual conceptual sci fi?

I like sci-fantasy and poo poo as well but proper sci fi is hard to come by

-primer
-solaris
-stalker
-alien
-blade runner

uhhhhhhhhh ?

EDIT: the fly

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Nice!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

E2M3 posted:

the entire movie is about the result of something spock did how is that unrequired

i'm not saying that the story was good or that it even made sense if you think about it for more than a minute but still, hes basically the reason for literally everything that happens in the entire loving thing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ahhh spiders posted:

they weren't bad guys in aliens though

they were lovely bad guys with no depth or arc at all

now im filmsperging a bit but i read an article re: the original treatment which sounded way better than the film we got where it focused more on how hosed up earth is and why everyone acts like assholes on pandora

it didnt make it sound like it would become an epic film but it was more coherent at least

http://www.chud.com/21969/project-880-the-avatar-that-almost-was/

LmaoTheKid posted:

The directors cut of Alien 3 (the real as in not the aborted version that Fox released) is actually a coherent, depressing, moody as gently caress, dark monster movie. And I kind of like it. It's too long though.

yep it could have been an inferior version of alien

david fincher is awesome and only made 2 bad films including alien3 so i blame fox

FMguru posted:

deleted scenes are deleted for a reason

the dleeted scenes in alien with the guy being changed into an egg are even worse i'm shocked to this day that guy from return of the lviing dead had anything to do with this film and im glad they cut some of his dumber ideas

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ahhh spiders posted:

the whole part with the colonists before the marines arrive kills the mystery

Yeah. I can see that.

When I was younger I got the two part Dark Horse Newts Tale and it was cool as hell to see them get in.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

amf5 posted:

the entire movie is about the result of something spock did how is that unrequired

i'm not saying that the story was good or that it even made sense if you think about it for more than a minute but still, hes basically the reason for literally everything that happens in the entire loving thing

well yeah but they didnt need to bring nimoy into it they coulda olded up syler for that

it was pandering plain and simple

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

E2M3 posted:

well yeah but they didnt need to bring nimoy into it they coulda olded up syler for that

it was pandering plain and simple

who gives a poo poo

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

alien 3 didn't just have pacing problems though

the whole concept was just too loving grimdark

aliens infesting your body and raping you from the inside out is bad enough, you don't need to add prison cabin fever to the mix

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I guess to serious post the thing I like about aliens is that they're all cavalier with their training and depleted uranium assault rifles and then it all just goes to hell over the course of the movie. It's an action movie, but for an 80s action movie it's not nearly as triumphant as a Rambo movie or Die Hard. It's a bit more Lovecraftian.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

alien 3 didn't just have pacing problems though

the whole concept was just too loving grimdark

aliens infesting your body and raping you from the inside out is bad enough, you don't need to add prison cabin fever to the mix

i liked the way it bounced back from the militarization of aliens

no guns, just improvised poo poo

but yeah, it was a little too dark corridors of doom

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ahhh spiders posted:

who gives a poo poo

hmmm actually just realized i dont

i hope they do a sequel with whopper Goldberg as Guinean tho best part of tng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

i liked the way it bounced back from the militarization of aliens

no guns, just improvised poo poo

but yeah, it was a little too dark corridors of doom

on top of the ultra grim setting, they then decide to kill off all four protagonists from the previous film in the most horrible way possible

whoever wrote that screenplay must have been having a bad year

EDIT: also lance hendriksen turning up at the end was dumb as poo poo goddamn I hated that movie

• Locked thread