Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Anybody have some old sitcoms or something of the kind from the 90s or early 00s that they know of? I'm almost done with Malcolm in the Middle, and I'm looking for a new series to watch. If I can't find anything, I might just start Breaking Bad.

King of the Hill is on Instant. Most of it, anyway. I think a couple episodes are disc only due to weird licensing stuff.

Frasier is a pretty great 90s sitcom too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Anybody have some old sitcoms or something of the kind from the 90s or early 00s that they know of? I'm almost done with Malcolm in the Middle, and I'm looking for a new series to watch. If I can't find anything, I might just start Breaking Bad.

You should just watch Breaking Bad.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

snoot posted:

I very much enjoyed Drones, slightly surreal low budget but inventive office comedy.

My wife and I started watching this the other night. About half way through and we both like it quite a bit. Now we just need to find time to finish it.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

mds2 posted:

You should just watch Breaking Bad.

I heard this wasn't going to be on instant for too much longer. Wasn't there some new agreement where Netflix won't carry AMC shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A great spaghetti western was just added today, Once Upon A Time In The West. This is one of Sergio Leone's most epic westerns and well worth a watch. The music, the characters, and the cinemtography are just spot on amazing.

Here's one of my favorite scenes--when the light swings onto Harmonica ~4:50 in it's one of the coolest shots ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSfO9vkpKY

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hitch posted:

I heard this wasn't going to be on instant for too much longer. Wasn't there some new agreement where Netflix won't carry AMC shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad?

Sounds like a rumor. AMC and Netflix signed a multi year deal last October.

https://www.amcnetworks.com/release_release_press.jsp?nodeid=6420

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

A great spaghetti western was just added today, Once Upon A Time In The West. This is one of Sergio Leone's most epic westerns and well worth a watch. The music, the characters, and the cinemtography are just spot on amazing.

Here's one of my favorite scenes--when the light swings onto Harmonica ~4:50 in it's one of the coolest shots ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSfO9vkpKY

Holy poo poo, I loving love you for mentioning this. I own it on DVD but gently caress, I'm watching it on the Roku since I've been wanting to watch it again anyway but the DVD is buried in my closet.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 3, 2012

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Holy Dread! posted:

This movie is making me angry. I just watched the girl have a baby, then crush pills and snort them in the room with the newborn. Then she's all distraught when the hospital keeps the baby to observe it. WTF. Are there really people like this???

Great suggestions, I eat this stuff up. Mindless junk while I work from home.

I live in a very very white trash area, and yes. People like this exist. I've pushed this dvd on a lot of customers, and they all thought it was kind of funny, really really sad, and for all the wrong reasons.

In fact, one of the reason The Whites is so great is because it hits so close to home.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Cold Weather is a (pretty good) mumblecore detective movie.

What this person said. Cold Weather is one of my favorite Netflix discoveries.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
just fyi, The Inbetweeners gets worse every season, and turns from "humorous insulting back-and-forth between 4 friends" into a whole bunch of raunchy/shock value poo poo.

And I didn't realise Cold Weather was on Instant! Gonna have to watch that soon.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

mod sassinator posted:

It's utterly brilliant and my favourite of his. One of those movies where the time just flies by despite the length.

Hitch posted:

I haven't heard of this new agreement. I just know AMC is getting a lot of threats to be dropped by cable/satellite providers right now because they provide their content through digital distribution. It's kind of infuriating to think that a station actually being progressive in selling their content may end up screwed because of it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love those Classic Albums shows, I just wish there was an easier way to find them, especially on the Apple TV. A bunch have the "Classic Albums" in the title, but a bunch don't, plus there are missing ones entirely. They could have just made it a TV series, but I guess it is better as separate movies since they get "related to" stuff on that particular band that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums#Episodes

I think these are the randomly missing ones:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (1968)
Judas Priest - British Steel (1980)
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 3, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Encryptic posted:

Holy poo poo, I loving love you for mentioning [Once Upon A Time In The West]. I own it on DVD but gently caress, I'm watching it on the Roku since I've been wanting to watch it again anyway but the DVD is buried in my closet.

Movies like this and Criterion collection stuff is where I usually just get and watch the DVD version and listen to the commentary back and forth.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Well, maybe it was because all the "it's garbage/it's brilliant" discussion in here tempered my expectations, but I felt that Rubber was a clever and fun film worth watching although it never came close to reaching the craziness it was aspiring to.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kuddles posted:

Well, maybe it was because all the "it's garbage/it's brilliant" discussion in here tempered my expectations, but I felt that Rubber was a clever and fun film worth watching although it never came close to reaching the craziness it was aspiring to.

I've seen many "strange" movies that tried too hard.
Rubber is a good satire of movies that try to be strange for... no reason.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

We just covered Rubber for Alcohollywood, so there's a drink and drinking game there, but our discussion was sort of along those lines. I figured it was a much more direct look at the interaction between films and their audiences; I just thought the troubling thing was that the director seemed to hate me and hate audiences in general.

The audience is depicted as a mass of overly pretentious or ditzy douchebags who ravenously rip at a poisoned turkey like animals (I got the implication, and rolled my eyes a bit when Wings Hauser actually looked at them and said "animals"). The one remaining audience member only survives because they're doggedly dedicated to more story, to the point where the movie just gets tired of catering to him and kills him.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok ok ok, you guys were right. Boy Wonder does get pretty good as it goes on.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

In the Mood for Love is on but it looks pretty terrible. SD and a weird aspect that keeps changing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volume posted:

Ok ok ok, you guys were right. Boy Wonder does get pretty good as it goes on.

I've turned a dozen people onto it now, really great flick.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I saw Donnie Brasco (great film based on a really interesting fellow) was up on instantwatcher, searched it and was hit with random Donnie Darko.

It's as good as I remember it. I was pretty :350: when I watched it as a kid and I remember thinking it was some weird independent film. I am not quite sure how I forgot Barrymore/Swayze/Wyle. Also seeing the Gyllenhaal siblings at that age makes me feel ancient. If you haven't seen it you should give it a shot.

I also hadn't seen 12 Monkeys since I was a kid. I loved it back then but it's some much better to re-watch it and notice Gilliams fingerprints and the references it makes to Hitchcock and such. It still kills me thatthe motive of the guy who releases the virus is never explainedbut I guess that really isn't relevant to the story.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have Amazon prime, who can tell me whether Netflix or Amazon has more/better content for instant streaming?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

truth masseuse posted:

Does anyone have Amazon prime, who can tell me whether Netflix or Amazon has more/better content for instant streaming?

Netflix is great for a nice handful of classics and a whole lot of hidden gems. Hulu Plus is basically your personal Criterion streaming network, not too sure about Amazon though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Amazon has Fire Walk With Me, and I'm tempted to start a free trial soon just for that, having just finished Twin Peaks on Netflix.

If money isn't a concern get them ALL!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

truth masseuse posted:

There's certain things that Amazon excels at. Specifically reality shows. There's also a few films I haven't seen on Netflix. I'm currently using my mother's Prime account for access as I didn't see the need to sign up for another streaming service.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Discount Viscount posted:

Amazon has Fire Walk With Me, and I'm tempted to start a free trial soon just for that, having just finished Twin Peaks on Netflix.

If money isn't a concern get them ALL!

I don't recommend it. It adds nothing to the mythos of the series and all the quirkiness and fun has been replaced with violent rape and sadness.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
My friend has Amazon and the movie selection is pretty dire. Decent for TV shows but we couldn't find a single interesting movie to watch the other night.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

What movies do you have in mind, specifically?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

pr0p posted:

I also hadn't seen 12 Monkeys since I was a kid. I loved it back then but it's some much better to re-watch it and notice Gilliams fingerprints and the references it makes to Hitchcock and such. It still kills me thatthe motive of the guy who releases the virus is never explainedbut I guess that really isn't relevant to the story.

He shows up earlier talking about how our society is doomed and we're killing the planet and so on.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there ever any indication in 12 Monkeys that it's actually possible to change the past?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is there ever any indication in 12 Monkeys that it's actually possible to change the past?

I don't know about "possible", but it's made pretty clear that Bruce Willis was never meant to change the past or stop the outbreak, so it's heavily implied that it's not possible to change major events.

Oxidizer
Feb 25, 2011
It's probably been said, but The Rock-A-Fire Explosion is a fantastic watch that will leave you depressed, creeped out, and confused.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

truth masseuse posted:

I used to ignore Amazon entirely because it seemed like they mostly overlapped with Netflix with a handful of oddball exceptions (Amazon has classic Doctor Who by season while Netflix only has a handful of collections that were released on video). I think they're doing a bit better more recently, though, because just browsing through I see a number of things Netflix doesn't have, ranging anywhere from Mean Girls to Antichrist.

But if you had to pick one, Netflix is probably still the better choice. Amazon's selection largely reads like the back racks at a video store (among the current most popular titles are stuff like Deep Impact and Forest Gump), and there's still a lot of overlap with Netflix. Plus it seems like it's taken them a while to get around to taking this video thing seriously, given that they only added the ability to queue movies last month.

Of course, you can also do what I do and get Prime for the shipping and consider the video a nice bonus.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Oxidizer posted:

It's probably been said, but The Rock-A-Fire Explosion is a fantastic watch that will leave you depressed, creeped out, and confused.

I watched this probably six months or so ago and thought the thing. Interesting movie, but man, some weird people. Didn't one guy said he NEVER drank water and only drinks mountain dew?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I don't recommend it. It adds nothing to the mythos of the series and all the quirkiness and fun has been replaced with violent rape and sadness.

You are right that FWWM has a different tone than Twin Peaks but it is still great. I recommend it.

Immortals has shown up on instant.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

foodfight posted:

You are right that FWWM has a different tone than Twin Peaks but it is still great. I recommend it.

Immortals has shown up on instant.

Man, it seems every movie I get through the mail turns up streaming a week later. :(
Immortals owns though.

And I'll second that Fire Walk With Me is amazing, it certainly makes up for how abysmal the second half of the show was.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

wyoming posted:

Man, it seems every movie I get through the mail turns up streaming a week later. :(
Immortals owns though.

And I'll second that Fire Walk With Me is amazing, it certainly makes up for how abysmal the second half of the show was.

Same thing happens to me. Martha Marcy May Marlene will probably stream next week because it is sitting on my coffee table.

Sound of Noise is streaming later this month and I'm legit excited for that.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I had heard that new Spartacus show was on Netflix, but it looks like it's not anymore. Only thing on there now is the animated poo poo of it. :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bash Ironfist posted:

I had heard that new Spartacus show was on Netflix, but it looks like it's not anymore. Only thing on there now is the animated poo poo of it. :(

I think that was because it was part of the Starz deal which expired not too long ago.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Goon is somehow an incredibly charming movie about a guy who punches people in the face during hockey games. Stay for the clips of the guy who the story is based on that show up midway through the credits and you'll see that Seann William Scott really did nail him perfectly. It's kind of a spiritual successor to Slap Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The video quality of Firewalk With Me on Prime is loving terrible. Is that just me?

• Locked thread