Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

While flying off your bike from hitting some tiny obstacle that you probably didn't even see was annoying, at least euphoria made it hilarious a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dave Mustard posted:

I got good at driving GTA 4 too but that doesn't make it 'fun' Rounding corners in muscle cars generally results in sliding across the street painfully and dinging some newspaper stand or hot dog vendor. It feels distinctly uncool and driving requires a tiring amount of caution at times. By that I mean, you have to use handbrake in concert with the real brake even for not fairly slow-moderate speed turns simply to keep from sliding across the road like giant metal hockey puck.
You shouldnt be using the handbrake at all unless you want to look cool as hell taking turns or you want to do a low speed 180. All you have to do is apply your regular brakes until you slow down enough, then start turning while keeping off the gas/brake and when youre more than 50% through the turn it should be safe to start punching the gas again.

Cojawfee posted:

While there was a difference between cars, all cars were way too floppy. Get in one of the super cars and the suspension feels like you're driving a boat. A nice luxury car should have a soft suspension, but a high end sports car should not. As long as they fix this, I think the driving will be nearly perfect.
All the super/sports cars feel nice and tight to me, there really isnt much travel in the suspension. The turismo drives like a friggen gokart. I imagine a lot of you are playing through SP, and I can appreciate that most of the cars arent very fun to drive but I havent played through SP since I bought the game. I play MP almost every day so I get a little more freedom picking the cars that I want to drive.

The only thing I can criticize about the driving is how floaty the cars are, like theres not enough gravity pushing down on your car. Also when youre in a Lamborghini (infernus) or Ferrari (turismo) and floor it the tires should spin at least a little bit.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have issues with the mouse in GTA:VC on PC? I'll load it up and have to fiddle around in the menu for 5 minutes every time just to get it to recognize input from the mouse (i.e. mouselook and LMB/RMB actions don't work). I can't figure out exactly why it eventually starts to work, just that jumping in and out of the menu seems to do something. Even clicking on menu items doesn't work at first. Once it starts working, it usually is fine until I quit the game again, then I have to do it all over again next time.

This is the only game that does it. I just played through GTA3 without any problems like this. Both were purchased as part of the "Classics" pack with every GTA except IV and its expansions.

Any suggestions to try? I'm using a Logitech MX Revolution.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Cage posted:

You shouldnt be using the handbrake at all unless you want to look cool as hell taking turns or you want to do a low speed 180. All you have to do is apply your regular brakes until you slow down enough, then start turning while keeping off the gas/brake and when youre more than 50% through the turn it should be safe to start punching the gas again.

No, you should be and I always want to look cool as hell taking turns, that's why i'm playing a video game... The handbrake causes you to spin out allowing you to quickly pivot around a corner, the actual brake stops that spin out once you have pivoted to the degree you want and allows you to regain control out of the handbrake maneuver.

Generally, I use the handbrake to pivot the rear end end of my car around the corner to the degree I want, tap the real brake once it reaches that point to stabilize and continue accelerating (I even went as far as binding brake to shift (instead of just using s) because it's required to use it to take turns in GTA IV) I can't imagine how boring it must be to play slowing down all the time for every turn and never doing power slides.

sirbeefalot posted:

Anyone have issues with the mouse in GTA:VC on PC? I'll load it up and have to fiddle around in the menu for 5 minutes every time just to get it to recognize input from the mouse (i.e. mouselook and LMB/RMB actions don't work). I can't figure out exactly why it eventually starts to work, just that jumping in and out of the menu seems to do something. Even clicking on menu items doesn't work at first. Once it starts working, it usually is fine until I quit the game again, then I have to do it all over again next time.

This is the only game that does it. I just played through GTA3 without any problems like this. Both were purchased as part of the "Classics" pack with every GTA except IV and its expansions.

Yes, there are fixes for this. If you google you'll find them, I had the same problem with GTA: SA. I had to run it in compatability mode for windows 98 and uninstall my Microsoft intellipoint software and that fixed it. It still bugs out sometimes and I have to alt-tab out and then click the game and press space or click to regain mouse control. The fix is probably slightly different for VC.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dave Mustard posted:

No, you should be and I always want to look cool as hell taking turns, that's why i'm playing a video game... The handbrake causes you to spin out allowing you to quickly pivot around a corner, the actual brake stops that spin out once you have pivoted to the degree you want and allows you to regain control out of the handbrake maneuver.

Generally, I use the handbrake to pivot the rear end end of my car around the corner to the degree I want, tap the real brake once it reaches that point to stabilize and continue accelerating (I even went as far as binding brake to shift (instead of just using s) because it's required to use it to take turns in GTA IV) I can't imagine how boring it must be to play slowing down all the time for every turn and never doing power slides.
Im just saying if you want to take a turn as fast as you can you won't be using the handbrake.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

Try opening up the game and then alt-tabbing to the desktop and opening up the Task Manager. Then go in the "details" tab and right-click to set the core affinity for gtavc.exe to Core0. That was the only thing that fixed the mouse bug in Vice City for me.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone complaining about the suspension of cars has never driven in nyc I guess. You can be in a wooden cart and that thing will be bouncing like its made of rubber with all the potholes and poorly kept roads.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cage posted:

All the super/sports cars feel nice and tight to me, there really isnt much travel in the suspension. The turismo drives like a friggen gokart. I imagine a lot of you are playing through SP, and I can appreciate that most of the cars arent very fun to drive but I havent played through SP since I bought the game. I play MP almost every day so I get a little more freedom picking the cars that I want to drive.

The only thing I can criticize about the driving is how floaty the cars are, like theres not enough gravity pushing down on your car. Also when youre in a Lamborghini (infernus) or Ferrari (turismo) and floor it the tires should spin at least a little bit.

That's what I was thinking when someone mentioned this pages ago. I remember the cars being tight and easy to drive and didn't understand what someone meant when he said that the cars were all floppy. I then decided to load GTAIV back up one weekend. In between finishing playing the game and starting it back up during that weekend, I had played Forza 3 and Forza 4. After being used to driving a realistic driving game and going back to GTAIV, I finally saw what that guy meant. You may not realize it because you're used to the game, but these cars are floppy as all get out.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I was thinking when someone mentioned this pages ago. I remember the cars being tight and easy to drive and didn't understand what someone meant when he said that the cars were all floppy. I then decided to load GTAIV back up one weekend. In between finishing playing the game and starting it back up during that weekend, I had played Forza 3 and Forza 4. After being used to driving a realistic driving game and going back to GTAIV, I finally saw what that guy meant. You may not realize it because you're used to the game, but these cars are floppy as all get out.
What does floppy mean? I only mentioned the super/sports cars and I was comparing them to some of the regular cars in the game, not real life.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

GAY RETARD posted:

Anyone complaining about the suspension of cars has never driven in nyc I guess. You can be in a wooden cart and that thing will be bouncing like its made of rubber with all the potholes and poorly kept roads.

It's a video game.

Regardless, driving in IV is great.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Angry Boat posted:

Regardless, driving in IV is great.
This is why I still play IV every so often. Just to drive around looking at things, getting in high speed chases, etc. I love the driving in IV.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Finally gone back to San Andreas after not playing it for ages, and compared to GTA IV and RDR its seems massively difficult. I managed to get through Los Santos alright, the only mission that gave me too much difficulty was that bloody train one (i'm pretty sure that was the reason I gave up last time), but now i'm out in the countryside and yeah it seems way harder than I expected. Trying to do the first 'Truth' mission at the moment which needs me to steal a combine harvester, and yeah, its getting pretty frustrating. I'm not sure its just difficult across the board, there just seems to be some missions that are massively harder than the ones either side of it, not sure if the whole game plays out like that.

Also, on a related note, not sure if i've done something wrong, but I have little to no money (I have pretty much entirely focussed on story missions), which is pretty annoying because it means I can only save back on Grove Street, or in that town right in the SW of the map near Mount Chiliad which is pretty annoying when i'm nowhere near either.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Finally gone back to San Andreas after not playing it for ages, and compared to GTA IV and RDR its seems massively difficult. I managed to get through Los Santos alright, the only mission that gave me too much difficulty was that bloody train one (i'm pretty sure that was the reason I gave up last time), but now i'm out in the countryside and yeah it seems way harder than I expected. Trying to do the first 'Truth' mission at the moment which needs me to steal a combine harvester, and yeah, its getting pretty frustrating. I'm not sure its just difficult across the board, there just seems to be some missions that are massively harder than the ones either side of it, not sure if the whole game plays out like that.

Also, on a related note, not sure if i've done something wrong, but I have little to no money (I have pretty much entirely focussed on story missions), which is pretty annoying because it means I can only save back on Grove Street, or in that town right in the SW of the map near Mount Chiliad which is pretty annoying when i'm nowhere near either.

I'm playing through SA right now, kill drug dealers, aka the white guy's in hoodies standing around, and the black guy's with gold chains. They usually stand in place with their arms crossed on the streets. Generally, they drop around $3,000 or so.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
What exactly does everyone find so difficult about the follow the train mission with Smoke? I'm playing through SA again and I had no problem at all with it. All you have to do is maintain speed whenever he starts shooting and those guys are toast pretty quick.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Clamknuckle posted:

What exactly does everyone find so difficult about the follow the train mission with Smoke? I'm playing through SA again and I had no problem at all with it. All you have to do is maintain speed whenever he starts shooting and those guys are toast pretty quick.

I think you kinda have to be lucky. I've played through SA a bunch of times and sometimes I finish that mission in one try and other times Big Smoke just doesn't seem to properly aim at those guys.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
People usually ride too close to the train and fail to give Smoke a good line of sight from what I've observed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also kind of hard to see how many of the guys are still standing, i.e. how things are going, if you're riding where you're supposed to. But more than that I think it's that this is likely to be your first serious high-speed bike ride, in unfamiliar territory, and if you mess up and fall off a) you can kiss that train goodbye and b) it's a long trek back to town.

I also got back to San Andreas just recently after putting off buying the 360 Marketplace version for too long, and I'm having a blast! The autotargeting can go gently caress itself though. I've criticized GTA IV's cover based shooting in obvious setpiece locations a lot in my time but on reflection it's a vastly better system.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

My Lovely Horse posted:

I also got back to San Andreas just recently after putting off buying the 360 Marketplace version for too long, and I'm having a blast! The autotargeting can go gently caress itself though.

This is why the PC version is way superior IMO. Although I guess it does make some fights real easy because you can get headshots like it ain't no thang.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's also kind of hard to see how many of the guys are still standing, i.e. how things are going, if you're riding where you're supposed to. But more than that I think it's that this is likely to be your first serious high-speed bike ride, in unfamiliar territory, and if you mess up and fall off a) you can kiss that train goodbye and b) it's a long trek back to town.

I also got back to San Andreas just recently after putting off buying the 360 Marketplace version for too long, and I'm having a blast! The autotargeting can go gently caress itself though. I've criticized GTA IV's cover based shooting in obvious setpiece locations a lot in my time but on reflection it's a vastly better system.

I can see how those would be problems. Now Supply Lines can just go gently caress itself really really hard.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Ak Gara posted:

I use Motionjoy (http://www.motioninjoy.com/ )

You get to select to use a PS1, PS2, PS3, and an xbox pad. Only the xbox pad settings has working analog triggers for accel/brake, the Playstation settings treat them as digital (on/off)

Are you suggesting that using Motionjoy and my xbox360 gamepad in SA I can have analogue acceleration? Because that would be amazing!

Vaguely related question - I tried playing SA recently, and the first motorcycle chase mission where you have to kill the guy was almost impossible for me. I was riding with keys, and aiming with mouse, but when on a bike you can't seem to aim at all - you always shoot straight ahead. I always use keyboard and mouse for gunplay, and joypad for driving. I can't remember that mission being hard! Am I missing some config?

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

klen dool posted:

Are you suggesting that using Motionjoy and my xbox360 gamepad in SA I can have analogue acceleration? Because that would be amazing!

Vaguely related question - I tried playing SA recently, and the first motorcycle chase mission where you have to kill the guy was almost impossible for me. I was riding with keys, and aiming with mouse, but when on a bike you can't seem to aim at all - you always shoot straight ahead. I always use keyboard and mouse for gunplay, and joypad for driving. I can't remember that mission being hard! Am I missing some config?

No, you're just underestimating the autoaim you get when doing driveby's/shooting on motorcycles. It's like laser accurate (which is why playing against goons in sa-mp was never fun) and will shoot the gently caress out of the guy, he'll even wait for you when you gently caress up so just try to stay on his rear end and make sure you fire your gun when you are close to him and let it rip. Take plenty of Mac10 ammo cause OG Loc can't shoot for poo poo so you have to do most of the damage.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
You can just keep following him and he eventually stops.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

klen dool posted:

I'd really like to know if this works and isn't really hard to do. Motion joy seems to be just for PS3 controllers. I have a wired 360 controller, why is it a huge pain in the arse to get it to work with SA?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Rascar posted:

This is why the PC version is way superior IMO. Although I guess it does make some fights real easy because you can get headshots like it ain't no thang.

San Andreas allowed free aim with all of the guns (in the console version, I know the PC version has it since 3), the problem was that until you levelled your skill with each gun, you couldn't move and shoot at the same time.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 5, 2012

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

teacup posted:

I'd really like to know if this works and isn't really hard to do. Motion joy seems to be just for PS3 controllers. I have a wired 360 controller, why is it a huge pain in the arse to get it to work with SA?

Sorry, yes, I use a PS3 controller (wired/wireless doesn't matter) and while using a PS3 controller, I select the XBOX settings on motionjoy, thus allowing the accel/brake throttles to work correctly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Clamknuckle posted:

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ <:mad:>

I think I was only able to complete it through sheer luck on PS2 the first time I played through the game. Then the next few times I played through it were on PC. And then I played through the XBOX version after buying it on Xbox Live, but I don't remember how I completed it that time. Maybe I used a savegame to progress to the next mission or something. I know that's what I used for that loving stupid "reclaim your hoods" mission at the end.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ <:mad:>

I think I was only able to complete it through sheer luck on PS2 the first time I played through the game. Then the next few times I played through it were on PC. And then I played through the XBOX version after buying it on Xbox Live, but I don't remember how I completed it that time. Maybe I used a savegame to progress to the next mission or something. I know that's what I used for that loving stupid "reclaim your hoods" mission at the end.

I did it by sheer blind luck, did what I always used to do, stick to the right of the track level with the front of the train, it seems a lottery whether Smoke actually manages to do his bit competently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I did it by sheer blind luck, did what I always used to do, stick to the right of the track level with the front of the train, it seems a lottery whether Smoke actually manages to do his bit competently.

That's the thing right there. Every time I've played that mission, it's been really easy or basically impossible depending on whether the computer decides to let Smoke actually hit the dudes or what.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

klen dool posted:

You actually can't kill him on the bike so don't waste your ammo trying. Just follow him around until he gets off, then kill him and his four buddies.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

You actually can't kill him on the bike so don't waste your ammo trying.

You can, I do it every single time I have to do that mission. It's possible. Just be wary of Jeffrey spawning where you're supposed to be, instead of where you actually are.

Also, the train mission is a lot easier after I found out that you can jump onto the train off one of those bridge ramp things and shoot the guys yourself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I love the driving in GTA4, there are a few issues (cars all feeling too heavy, soft suspension, car-to-car crashes often seem too "soft") but I love pretty much everything else about it. It feels like a slightly arcade-ized version of original "The Driver".

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Assuming you're done with every main mission which of the three GTAIVs do you guys prefer as your free roam go to game? TBOGT seems ideal but sometimes I miss the nice looking vanilla IV filters and the ability to customize your clothes and such.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Assuming you're done with every main mission which of the three GTAIVs do you guys prefer as your free roam go to game? TBOGT seems ideal but sometimes I miss the nice looking vanilla IV filters and the ability to customize your clothes and such.

GTA IV, black leather jacket and the ski mask.

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

Kilometers Davis posted:

TBOGT. Drive a bike off the top of tall buildings jump off parachute down in time to see the destruction your bike caused. Never gets old.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The train mission is really easy if you make sure you aren't too close to the train. If you are right next to it Smoke will be shooting the train and not the guys. Stick to the side of the road furthest from the train. Of course I didn't realise this the first few dozen times I tried the mission.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The train mission is really easy if you shoot the driver then the motionless bullet sponge gang members 8000 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewMug2ixKOs&t=506s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cage posted:

What does floppy mean? I only mentioned the super/sports cars and I was comparing them to some of the regular cars in the game, not real life.

This is what floppy means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HxMsY03gt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS8anuviA8M

Using the Bullet GT in GTAIV and the Ford GT in Forza 4 you can see the difference. Sure, I'm not wanting full realistic car physics, but this car in GTAIV is a sports car, it shouldn't be flopping around like it does.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cojawfee posted:

This is what floppy means.

"youtube"]7HxMsY03gt4[/video]

"youtube"]vS8anuviA8M[/video]

Using the Bullet GT in GTAIV and the Ford GT in Forza 4 you can see the difference. Sure, I'm not wanting full realistic car physics, but this car in GTAIV is a sports car, it shouldn't be flopping around like it does.
I dont think thats floppy, thats just that roads in gta not being perfectly even like in forza. Youre hitting curbs and cars and running over sewer vents. They picked a terrible camera view for the hood cam though, Ill give you that. Its terrible to drive with that view.

You did pick the one car I dont drive very much, as I modded all my EFLC cars but only use vanilla cars in GTA4 so Im not the most experienced with the bullet but it looked pretty sharp.

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 6, 2012

egcg75
Jul 5, 2012
This game looks like It'll have some pretty intense graphics. Hopefully it will have a good enough game play, or at least some funny glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

You can, I do it every single time I have to do that mission. It's possible. Just be wary of Jeffrey spawning where you're supposed to be, instead of where you actually are.

Also, the train mission is a lot easier after I found out that you can jump onto the train off one of those bridge ramp things and shoot the guys yourself.

I stopped a bit away from him, got off my bike, and shot rockets at him. He did not die.

• Locked thread