Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If none of the responses to those statements are "I live like a windrammer as I gently caress" I will be very disappointed.

Is Lucifer worth getting in Persona 4? I checked his abilities on the Shin Megami Tensei wiki and I wasn't terribly impressed. He get some decent stuff but Helel seems like he'd be a better choice overall. I'll probably end up fusing him anyway at some point just for the sake of doing it but I guess I'm just disappointed that the Rebel Leader of Hell doesn't have an array of abilities that explode half the planet or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You get Lucifer for Victory Cry, and then use him to your heart's desire on a New Game+. I went through an entire NG+ run with just him (gave him Spell Master and Megidolaon) and Yoshitsune.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

You get Lucifer for Victory Cry, and then use him to your heart's desire on a New Game+. I went through an entire NG+ run with just him (gave him Spell Master and Megidolaon) and Yoshitsune.

Yeah, Victory Cry looks pretty fantastic. I'm past the point of fusing him now (I didn't want to grind out the levels) but I'm going to make an effort to do so in NG+.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, Victory Cry looks pretty fantastic. I'm past the point of fusing him now (I didn't want to grind out the levels) but I'm going to make an effort to do so in NG+.

It would probably be better to grind out the levels now rather than later. The December dungeon has an exploit you can abuse where an enemy summons monsters repeatedly that only use physical attacks; if you equip a null phys persona and set it to rush you'll kill the summon endlessly and get experience for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, the shadows that look like the pringles guy. I actually recommend solo-ing it with just the MC, I kept killing the summons too fast with other party members. And even if you fight normal battles along the way, you'll get quite a lot of experience since you have just the MC (the bamboo sword from the old man at the river helps too).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man P5 needs to be made soon so we can get some sweet rear end new jams out of it. The P3/FES/Portable and P4 soundtracks are amazing and I've been listening to them nonstop. Catherine had a pretty good soundtrack, but it ain't no Deep Breath, Deep Breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxUrx6Bnvk

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PonchAxis posted:

Man P5 needs to be made soon so we can get some sweet rear end new jams out of it. The P3/FES/Portable and P4 soundtracks are amazing and I've been listening to them nonstop. Catherine had a pretty good soundtrack, but it ain't no Deep Breath, Deep Breath.

Just do what i'm doing; listen to the P5 fan soundtrack and imagine that it's actually the real P5, and just... just don't think about how awful and mega-creepy (even more so than usual) Atlus is getting lately. :smith: Seriously, that P4 poo poo is just hilariously awful. I guess they're finally making straight up eroges now, not that i'm surprised.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Technique posted:

Just do what i'm doing; listen to the P5 fan soundtrack and imagine that it's actually the real P5, and just... just don't think about how awful and mega-creepy (even more so than usual) Atlus is getting lately. :smith: Seriously, that P4 poo poo is just hilariously awful. I guess they're finally making straight up eroges now, not that i'm surprised.

I think you're overreacting since there was creepier poo poo in P3, but whatever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
None of that comes close to the stupidity/creepiness of touching Aigis' 'Papillion(sp?) heart' so I think we're still in the clear.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
People overreact to basically everything Atlus does now. I won't pretend that some of the changes they're making don't make me roll my eyes a bit, but come on.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Can't say I'm surprised that there are "sex scenes" in this game. P3P had them. P3P had some really weird ones. I thought Akihiko's scene was adorable though. Shinjiro's was pretty cute too.

I don't really mind, though. It's a game about teenagers with a dating sim aspect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On one hand, it's a bit weird.

On the other hand at least it isn't Bioware-style fully animated-and-horrifying sex scenes.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Persona 3 is still worse because at least all of the datable people in Persona 4 are close to your age.

Although I've seen a picture that kinda makes it seem like you can date Teddie?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand at least it isn't Bioware-style fully animated-and-horrifying sex scenes.
With an IGN staffer.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Cityinthesea posted:

Although I've seen a picture that kinda makes it seem like you can date Teddie?

From what I've gathered this is just atlus trolling, It happens when Nanako and Dojima go back to the hospital for rehabilitation for about a week. Teddie stays with you so you wont be lonely while they're gone. He jokingly says something about a welcome home kiss and you can pick to roll along with it or not. You chose to, and thus that screenshot BUT right when he puts his arms around teddie, he shoves you back, screams in horror and says and quote: "Sensei! You're giving off a Kanji vibe!!!! UUUUUGGGGGHHHH!" (Its a play on words cause Kanji can also mean "Feeling" in jp. Hence Kanji "Vibe/Feeling". Then Dojima walks in on it and just goes "......what........are you doing."

So hurray for more gay jokes, I guess?

I dunno, the P3 stuff never really bugged me, aigis because it fades to black before stuff actually happens, and it wasn't like at least five separate scenes like in this game, where it just seems excessive and needlessly pandering. Ken was really weird but couldn't you choose NOT to be a pedophile and brush the kid off?

Whatever, I'm gonna stop talking about animes bangin'

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 5, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

darealkooky posted:

I dunno, the P3 stuff never really bugged me, aigis because it fades to black before stuff actually happens, and it wasn't like at least five separate scenes like in this game, where it just seems excessive and needlessly pandering. Ken was really weird but couldn't you choose NOT to be a pedophile and brush the kid off?

Whatever, I'm gonna stop talking about animes bangin'

In the text posted, it fades to black (or pans away from the characters, at least) before anything happens, I'm pretty sure there are scenes like this for all the lovers routes for the Female MC, and I'm sure you can choose not to have sex with high school girls if you don't want to. I don't really understand how the P3 stuff is any better than this, it's pretty much the same.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

It's mainly just the way more explicit dialogue (aparantly that's something that gets ironed out in localization so that's cool?), and the number of times it happens. (incidentally I also just found out that these scenes are completely voice acted)

I dunno, I just thought it was something to bring up, I'm not boycotting this game or anything silly like that (the fact that I've already beat it/don't ever plan to get a vita is what's doing that), but I don't really wanna have this thread be pages and pages of this of why one depiction of bangin anime schoolgirls is more/less creepy then others.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 5, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

I dunno, I just thought it was something to bring up, I'm not boycotting this game or anything silly like that

darealkooky posted:

Hello, I'm here to tell you why you shouldn't buy Persona 4 for the vita, and really should probably never give Atlus money ever again.

You brought it up because you were hoping people would go 'eww, Japan' and talk about how terrible Atlus is. v:shobon:v I mean, you were pretty clear about that in your original post. I don't know why you're changing your mind now.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Little bit, but I was hamming it up.

So how about that Adachi slink? Turns out you get the choice to burn evidence, which makes him make fun of you constantly and ends with the world probably ending in a week while an anime cutscene plays that shows the protagonist going "man I really hosed up"

You don't actually HAVE to do this to max out the slink.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 5, 2012

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Is that scene in the cabin with Rise automatic or are there dialogue choices I can select to avoid being a creepy rapist?

This will probably effect whether or not I get a PSP and P4G because enough is enough Atlas.

I will wait for the localization to see if this line gets changed or not, but this is NOT okay.

Also hooray for making Naoto even more of a secret doormat. Now her character is exposition fairy/my waifu.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Would the Rise scene be OK if her text had little tildes or hearts at the end of it? What if the voice over is clearly joking/flirty?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah where is the original Japanese material out of curiosity?

Personally, speaking in context of the Atlus brand, I don't think it's really any raunchier/crazier than Catherine and that was a pretty good game.

I'm more slightly disturbed that Atlus have actually region locked a PS3 game personally (the fighting game).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 5, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

P4A gets to join the hallowed club of PS3 games that are region locked, which is basically just the collector's edition of Stranglehold because region locking is loving stupid.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

Persona 3 is still worse because at least all of the datable people in Persona 4 are close to your age.

You could make out with Margaret and she's definitely older than you.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Unless Golden changed something, all Margaret did was kiss you on the cheek.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Would the Rise scene be OK if her text had little tildes or hearts at the end of it? What if the voice over is clearly joking/flirty?

Of course! Tone changes everything.. I'd just roll my eyes at Rise and dislike her a little bit more.

I think her and Naoto were the hardest characters to get into. It's a little difficult to understand the secret pain of a teen idol and a genius detective.

Jealousy of a friend, unrequited love combined with teenage boredom, and confusion about one's own sexual identity are things most people can identify with. I really think Rise and Naoto could have used more polish as characters.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Momomo posted:

Unless Golden changed something, all Margaret did was kiss you on the cheek.

Was it just the cheek? Looked full on lip-lip to me. v:shobon:v

dragon_pamcake posted:

Jealousy of a friend, unrequited love combined with teenage boredom, and confusion about one's own sexual identity are things most people can identify with. I really think Rise and Naoto could have used more polish as characters.

Naoto did have issues with gender roles. "Men can be respected detectives, but women can't." She didn't want to give the police force one more reason to doubt her abilities as a detective. Female detective characters are so sparsely used in fiction that she could only look to male characters to model herself after.

Being a girl in a very male oriented hobby, I could at least somewhat relate to her.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Of the investigation team, I thought Kanji had a pretty good arc - probably the best one. Yukiko's was pretty nifty too, on part with Naoto's. Rise and Chie's were kind of ho-hum. Youske's was above average. Of them all, I really didn't care for Chie's since she kind of knew what she wanted from the start and really didn't have any dilemmas to deal with so it was kind of boring, despite me liking the character. Rise really didn't know what she wanted but I just didn't care for her tantrums and constant flip-floping.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think Rise would have been a better character if the mellowed out version you see when you first meet her was how she acted normally, and the whole super perky flirty stuff was just her stage personality.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
p3p questions:

1: The social link menu option with the 'they meet wed, tues, thurs' or whatever, seems to be wrong in at least two cases. One of them is the devil, the mall meeting on Friday is not happening (he was not there last friday too, then he was there as normal on the other days). It happened on Friday with the student council too, they didn't meet then but did on the other days. Their social link info says 'm, w, and f'.

2: How boned am I if I have not been following a guide? I have academics maxed, charm and courage almost maxed but not yet... and most social links are at 6-9. Thing is I haven't started the yukari, mitsuo (it's the start of november) links and I only just found Sun, and I haven't started the Aegis one (if there is one).

3: what is the end date? Just give me a broad answer.

4: Can I do new game plus using a different MC? And will the stats carry over?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

redreader posted:

p3p questions:

1: The social link menu option with the 'they meet wed, tues, thurs' or whatever, seems to be wrong in at least two cases. One of them is the devil, the mall meeting on Friday is not happening (he was not there last friday too, then he was there as normal on the other days). It happened on Friday with the student council too, they didn't meet then but did on the other days. Their social link info says 'm, w, and f'.

2: How boned am I if I have not been following a guide? I have academics maxed, charm and courage almost maxed but not yet... and most social links are at 6-9. Thing is I haven't started the yukari, mitsuo (it's the start of november) links and I only just found Sun, and I haven't started the Aegis one (if there is one).

3: what is the end date? Just give me a broad answer.

4: Can I do new game plus using a different MC? And will the stats carry over?

1. Dunno what to tell you, I never really looked at that.

2. You might have time to finish Sun, that one is available every Sunday and always ranks up. The last two months or so have a lot of days you can spend time on social links.

3. End of January

4. Yes and yes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think Rise would have been a better character if the mellowed out version you see when you first meet her was how she acted normally, and the whole super perky flirty stuff was just her stage personality.

That's really what I was expecting, especially with her Shadow being the perky flirty stuff turned up to 11.

Honestly, I can't even remember what internal conflict her Shadow was supposed to represent. Indecision over being a model or not?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

She wanted people to see her for what she truly was, which was apparently a stripper. Or the same thing as people see her as. I don't think even the writers knew what Rise's conflict was supposed to be.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Momomo posted:

She wanted people to see her for what she truly was, which was apparently a stripper. Or the same thing as people see her as. I don't think even the writers knew what Rise's conflict was supposed to be.

What an Idol is and does is pretty clear in Japan, I don't think the west really has something that can compare. It makes plenty of sense in the original version, but it's still creepy pandering.

A lot of idols end up becoming adult video stars when they get too old... that is, when they hit 18. :japan:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

But if she didn't want to be seen that way, why did she end up not really changing? If she did then... well there isn't any conflict.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Momomo posted:

But if she didn't want to be seen that way, why did she end up not really changing? If she did then... well there isn't any conflict.

Are you asking why the fetishized teenage sex object didn't lose her sexity? Probably because it would disappoint megaten fans, who have come to expect a certain amount of service.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Does the Persona 4 series on Hulu follow the game pretty well? I like the story of persona games, but they just become too much of a repetitive grind for me. I got to the second shadow boss on P3, and then pretty much read the rest of the story on the wiki. I was gonna wait for P4 Golden, but was curious to know about the story before playing P4A and noticed that Hulu has the series.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

Honestly, I can't even remember what internal conflict her Shadow was supposed to represent. Indecision over being a model or not?

I took it to mean that she wanted people to see the Rise that was underneath all the costume and make-up, hence her being a stripper.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Does the Persona 4 series on Hulu follow the game pretty well? I like the story of persona games, but they just become too much of a repetitive grind for me. I got to the second shadow boss on P3, and then pretty much read the rest of the story on the wiki. I was gonna wait for P4 Golden, but was curious to know about the story before playing P4A and noticed that Hulu has the series.

The Persona 4 Animation is amazing. It's a bit compressed due to the amount of episodes they had to work with, but I think they did a remarkable job at capturing the essence of the Persona 4 experience. I think the anime actually did some scenes better than the game did. Namely Yukiko's shadow and the Port Island trip.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

P4A is probably the best done adaptation of a video game I've ever seen, so yeah. Its worth watching even if you had played the game all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I got more out of Rise's character on a second playthrough. My interpretation of the drama around her character is that Rise keeps searching for her "True" true self that's hidden underneath her idol persona, only to find that she doesn't have a clearly defined true self so much as a true self that's actually a combination of her different personas. (I.E. Idol Rise, glum Rise, School-Friend Rise, Team Rise...)