Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Got a bunch of cheap games from a friend - what should I know about Dark Souls, Fable II, and Brutal Legend?

Also, what's that pub games thing for Fable 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

Got a bunch of cheap games from a friend - what should I know about Dark Souls, Fable II, and Brutal Legend?

Also, what's that pub games thing for Fable 2?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dark_Souls

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Fable_2

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Brutal_Legend

These are all pretty accurate except maybe Dark Souls due to the patch.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If you can manage to play Dark Souls blind, without advice from the wiki, it will be the most enjoyable and satisfying gaming experience you've probably had in recent memory.

The only thing is, you have to teach yourself the game mechanics the way the game intends, which includes trial and error and paying attention to the tutorial and item descriptions (this is a big thing, item descriptions are important for what feels like the first time ever). The more you experiment, and the less you wonder, "Am I doing this right?," the faster the process will go. You can ask anyone who has more than 20 hours in the game and they will probably agree with me. At 30 hours I finally feel I have a grasp on all the game mechanics that are currently available to me, and now I get to be inventive and it makes me feel like a video game genius.

That being said, reading the wiki will still not prepare you enough (thankfully). Don't spoil it unless you are insufferable and MUST KNOW, and even then don't loving do it or you might end up going "I don't get why so many people like this game!"

e. Playing Dark Souls has actually made me think about this thread a lot. I caught myself thinking, "I bet all games would be more fun if I didn't use that wiki" until I remember how unfair some games can be. Dark Souls is perfectly fair, so the wiki is essentially useless, if not detrimental, to the experience.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 4, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It can't be stressed enough how important it is to fight with your team in Brutal Legend. Trying to command your units like a traditional RTS will result in you losing every time even on easy mode because the enemy leader will always be in the thick of things. Melt faces, power slide, use the deuce to destroy towers and act as an effective tank, double team with anyone in range, and just go hog wild every moment you can.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For Dark Souls, my advice would be to absolutely not worry about dying and losing all your souls. You'll get more, and you'll feel a lot better about the game and probably do better if you're not constantly on edge.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Souls I kinda fell into without knowing anything and while the first 20 hours or so of the game were frustrating it made it a far more enjoyable experience than it would have been had I wiki-trawled. Granted I've only maybe put another 10 hours in since then but its on the backlog.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Don't skip the Fade on your first run through Dragon Age. While I can see why people didn't like it, I found it fun and memorable (in a good way).

Fun Times! posted:

e. Playing Dark Souls has actually made me think about this thread a lot. I caught myself thinking, "I bet all games would be more fun if I didn't use that wiki" until I remember how unfair some games can be. Dark Souls is perfectly fair, so the wiki is essentially useless, if not detrimental, to the experience.
Some things are explained really poorly in game though; the crafting system is rather opaque for example. And PvP is pretty much the opposite of perfectly fair, but that's another matter entirely.

In general it's a great game to play blind though.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Maybe the one other thing I'd suggest about Dark Souls is not to attack friendly NPCs. I mean it's sort of obvious, but be extra careful about it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some things are explained really poorly in game though;

I agree totally with this and I've probably made at least two sperg-posts on here villifying the game for it but I still feel that it kinda works with Dark Souls becuase of its lack of leniency. Feels nice to be led by the reins rather than the hand with games thesedays.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Anything I should know before I start The Political Machine? Also, is it possible to run on a platform of high gas prices and a really lovely economy?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

al-azad posted:

It can't be stressed enough how important it is to fight with your team in Brutal Legend. Trying to command your units like a traditional RTS will result in you losing every time even on easy mode because the enemy leader will always be in the thick of things. Melt faces, power slide, use the deuce to destroy towers and act as an effective tank, double team with anyone in range, and just go hog wild every moment you can.

Bolding mine. It can't be stressed how good an ability the Face Melter solo is. AOE, OHK (at least on the lower level mooks- higher tier enemies just get a shitload of health taken off)- coupled with a Raiders of the Lost Ark animation? They might have nerfed it in multiplayer, but it just lets you steamroll singleplayer.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

zachol posted:

Maybe the one other thing I'd suggest about Dark Souls is not to attack friendly NPCs. I mean it's sort of obvious, but be extra careful about it.
One of my old roommates accidentally attacked one of the NPCs in the spawn area in Demon's Souls. We spend about an hour just getting killed by him over and over. It was hilarious.

Don't do that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Here's my essential Dragon Age: Origins mods. These work fine with Dragon Age 1.04, but I haven't tried them with the 1.05 patch yet. Patch 1.05 mostly addresses performance issues so it should be fine, but it's always a good idea to install mods one at a time and play-test for 10 minutes or so.

Rules Fixpack - This is a huge compendium of bug fixes that Bioware never got around to implementing. Weapons and armor now apply their bonuses correctly, when previously many of them did absolutely nothing. Modifiers actually stack instead of wrapping back to default, Shale's Rock Barrage talent works properly and many, many other things that I can't remember off hand. There are some very nice ease-of-use tweaks as well. Random junk from corpses can be auto-looted and rogues actually open locked chests and doors when they say they will, etc. etc. etc.

Advanced Tactics - Improves party AI and adds more conditions to the Tactics menu. Incredibly useful if you are playing on higher difficulties, but probably not necessary for an easy mode playthrough.

Annoyance Remover - Visual effects for many buffs disappear after a second. No more cutscenes with people on fire.

Combat Tweaks - This rebalances and tweaks skills and combat abilities to make them more worthwhile choices. There's also more bug fixes, as well as optional difficulty increases.

There's also a ton of armor/texture/character mods at dragonage.nexus, but beware as there is also a lot of :nws: crap.

al-azad posted:

By skipping the Fade do they mean skipping half of the mage's tower dungeon? It should be pointed out it's the only place in the game where you get several permanent stat boosts. Unless the mod that lets you skip compensates for that it really isn't worth it when that area constitutes maybe 1% of the total game. I would have gladly skipped the dwarf dungeons than the Fade.

The mod will still give you the stat bonuses. I wouldn't recommend skipping it until the second playthrough. The fade has some great character interaction and puzzles that are quite fun, if a bit easy. It does get very tiresome on repeated playthroughs.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
About to have a run through of my GoG bought Ultima Underworld games. I have sort of dabbled with them before but I had the impression I was creating crap characters. Any hints?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The wiki page for Deus Ex: Human Revolution tells me which augs/upgrades I can safely avoid, but which should I be going for first? I already know I should be getting Typhoon for the bosses.

Also, how does the Typhoon work, exactly? Do you need to be up close to the enemy, and then fire it off? I don't want to waste ammo finding out.

Though I suppose I could waste the ammo and reload the save, asking just seemed easier.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Centipeed posted:

The wiki page for Deus Ex: Human Revolution tells me which augs/upgrades I can safely avoid, but which should I be going for first? I already know I should be getting Typhoon for the bosses.

Also, how does the Typhoon work, exactly? Do you need to be up close to the enemy, and then fire it off? I don't want to waste ammo finding out.

Though I suppose I could waste the ammo and reload the save, asking just seemed easier.

I went for the double takedown first, followed by the hackings (get to hacking level 3, then get the stealth upgrades to reduce the chance of detection, then finish up to 5), followed by the wall breaking upgrade. All of these upgrades give you more points (and various fringe benefits for the hacking), so the rest doesn't really matter as much. You don't really need Typhoon for the first boss if you have some degree of FPS cover shooter skills, since the fight is really simple (he shoots at you, you shoot him when he isn't shooting at you), whereas the other two are sorta annoying so gently caress them. Get up next to them, hit Typhoon, eat a protein bar if they're still alive, then hit Typhoon again because seriously, boss fights are horrible.

I would also recommend getting the Invisibility Cloak since it lets you skip large portions of the game, notably after you get all the upgrades you could possibly want and no longer feel the desire to knock out/murder everyone you come across. At the very least, with a large supply of protein bars, it lets you clear out rooms as well as Alpha Protocol's Stealth tree.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

Hacking (capture) is pretty good. It pretty much pays for itself in terms of experience and items.

Social Enhancer is also useful right off the bat.

Wall punch allows you to get hidden Praxis kits in the very first hub, so it pays for itself as well. Double Takedown doesn't, but makes sneaking very convenient.

Typhoon works by unleashing a shockwave of about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6e0abCt1ww radius. I think people near the center take more damage. Since it's done in matrix time, you can just hammer the Typhoon button, chug down an energy restorer and do it again to take down any boss (not that you necessarily need to).

Btw, are you still in charge of the wiki edits? Could you throw in some DE:HR tips about dealing with bosses and hacking I've posted earlier?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Centipeed posted:

Wallpunching pays for itself pretty early if you go spelunking in the sewers, so that's a good first or second pick. Hacking is a safe bet, too. Stealth upgrade 2 and up are almost necessary to pull through clearance level 3+ security without copious virus use. The social booster is not necessary to make it past the DCPD front desk, but it gives you enough background information and performance feedback during the argument to make it more interesting.

Typhoon looks like it blasts pretty much everything in a 10-foot radius. You don't need to be at an elbow's length, if that's what you were wondering.

e: poo poo, got beaten like no other!

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just bought the Spelunky remake for the 360. Does anyone have any pointers because I'm usually pretty good at games, and I can't seem to make it past the fifth stage.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rather Dashing posted:

About to have a run through of my GoG bought Ultima Underworld games. I have sort of dabbled with them before but I had the impression I was creating crap characters. Any hints?
Ah, Underworld. Stick with 1 melee weapon skill - for UU1 I'd recommend sword.
You can abuse Swimming - hold Shift, use step mode and forget about that skill.
Lockpick is useless, all doors can either be opened with a switch/key, bashed, or are impossible to open.
Repair is useless, you can repair things for cash.
Get a character with decent Strength - you want to be able to wear decent armor and still carry your gear.
I never found missile weapons useful, just make a mage and chuck magic missiles at them. (if you make a mage, you want Sheet Lightning. You'll know where to learn it. Also, carry a pickaxe on lower levels, in case you trap yourself).
When you level up, you'll get skill points which you spend by chanting an appropriate mantra at an ankh shrine. Note down any mantra you find. There are 2 special mantras that are not used for skills. The manual tells you the first 3 general mantras but they suck (random distribution), save your skill points and chant the specialized ones.
You want a lot of Attack and Defense (by which I mean: max them). Also mana if you can cast spells, and enough Casting to stop your spells fizzling/exploding in your face.
Learn to use different attacks - overhead is good for axe, horizontal swing for mace, stab for swords and daggers. They'll hit different heights too. Hold your attack until the green gem sparkles.
Carry a backup weapon for bashing doors. Be patient, it can take a while.
Also carry: bedroll, map, runebag, sacks (crates/coffers suck), lantern, leeches, bowl of soup, pickaxe. There are other important items but I won't spoil them.
You can make notes on the map. Use it, love it.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 6, 2012

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MussoliniB posted:

I just bought the Spelunky remake for the 360. Does anyone have any pointers because I'm usually pretty good at games, and I can't seem to make it past the fifth stage.

Don't be afraid to use your bombs and rope, alot of peoples packrat mentality leads them to hoard them and then die with 4 of each because they didn't have enough health or money to get through a tough part. If you can see a crate up on a ledge or through a wall then chances are you'll get some rope or bombs from it anyway. Similarly you may as well buy stuff like the green climbing gloves from the shop if you can because that item will help you get money and health in the future.

Learn the trajectory of bombs and throwing items and get good with them, a rock or pot is a good enough weapon for anything you should be killing in the mines or jungle. Thrown items and ropes can also activate traps like the arrow shooters in the mines.

If you crawl off a ledge he actually backs down and goes into a hanging position off of it and you can get a good look down at what you'll be jumping into, don't think the tutorial tells you that.

Don't rush, there's more than enough time to rescue damsels, get money and still make it to the exit without setting off the ghost. Rushing just means you'll miss an enemy or trap that'll kill you.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Just got The Saboteur. Gonna try to start it if I can manage to put down Battlefield 3. Anything worth knowing before hand?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rather Dashing posted:

This is primarily for UUW (I didn't really like UUW2 and never finished it), but a lot of it applies to UUW2 as well - replace "mantras" with "trainers".

First of all, in UUW, your stats are fixed: skills can be raised later on with mantras, but stats (with a few very rare and single-use exceptions) cannot be. So make sure you're happy with your statline before you exit character creation.

Strength determines a bunch of combat related skills, HP, and carrying capacity and is thus the stat you'll miss most if it's low.

Your best bet is probably a Druid; they're a nice well-rounded class that can both apply beatdowns in melee and cast spells. Reroll until you're happy with your stats, then accept; if you really want to minmax, reroll and write the stats down, then pick the one you like most out of all the ones you rolled and restart the game - you'll get the same sequence of "random" stats each time.

As for skills, these aren't so important at character creation because you can raise them with mantras, but in general, you want:
- lots of Attack, Defence, Mana, Lore, and a weapon of your choice (note: ranged weapons, unarmed, or spells-only are all hardmode)
- a bit of Casting, Search, and maybe Acrobatics if you find yourself falling off things
- and the rest just raise it if you feel like you're missing out (you probably won't)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

upperthorax posted:

Just got The Saboteur. Gonna try to start it if I can manage to put down Battlefield 3. Anything worth knowing before hand?
You can purchase two perks, one silver and one gold. Use them on the "Mechanics" perks, as these are easily the most tedious to get otherwise.

I believe there are a finite number of Generals in the game, so the perk dealing with them is something to keep an eye on. They aren't exactly scarce, but they aren't infinite either.

Silenced weapons are pretty awesome.

Use your guns to take down speakers -- don't waste explosives on them.

You can't blow up railroad bridges right away, I don't think. You'll gain the ability later, so don't waste time trying to do it until then.

Enjoy being Sean Devlin and gleefully blowing up many Nazis and their stuff. Seriously one of my favourite games of this generation.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

upperthorax posted:

Use the rooftop AA guns to score a lot of easy contraband by downing the infinitely spawning zeppelins. Watch out though, they start sending planes to strafe you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

GrandpaPants posted:

I went for the double takedown first, followed by the hackings (get to hacking level 3, then get the stealth upgrades to reduce the chance of detection, then finish up to 5), followed by the wall breaking upgrade. All of these upgrades give you more points (and various fringe benefits for the hacking), so the rest doesn't really matter as much. You don't really need Typhoon for the first boss if you have some degree of FPS cover shooter skills, since the fight is really simple (he shoots at you, you shoot him when he isn't shooting at you)
It is also worth noting, for anyone else either obsessive enough or just overconfident enough about their game skills to want to try it, that you can, in fact, beat every enemy in the game, bosses included, by using nothing but the stun gun and tranquilizer rifle.

The road may be long, and it may occasionally seem that you are surely not doing any damage since that was 30 stun gun shots and the boss is still coming, but oh, one day, that cutscene will play of the inexplicably shot-to-pieces boss, and your smug satisfaction at the video being inaccurate will make it all worthwhile.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Thanks for the Saboteur info guys. I've been wanting to play it since Mafia 2 came out as it was discussed regularly in thread as being better. I enjoyed Mafia 2, and it's absolutely gorgeous, but there's nothing to do except the main story. Got this for 3 bux in an Amazon package deal and am really looking forward to it.

Loved the very first thing you see when the game starts, by the way.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Centipeed posted:

You'll be fine. You could totally gimp yourself combat-wise and still kill bosses with the magnum and explosive rounds.

quick edit: I mean you don't need Typhoon at all. Only get it if you want to (if it seems more interesting than other options).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there an issue with RDX in The Saboteur?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Gaggins posted:

You'll be fine. You could totally gimp yourself combat-wise and still kill bosses with the magnum and explosive rounds.

quick edit: I mean you don't need Typhoon at all. Only get it if you want to (if it seems more interesting than other options).

Beating the game without the Typhoon isn't difficult; I'd advise going for the augs which let you explore additional areas, most notably the strength, landing (Icarus), and jump upgrades. There are a ton of hidden or otherwise out-of-the-way places to explore in every map, some with very good rewards (praxis points, explosive rounds, et cetera).

I went for a primarily stealth-oriented character and found the Hacking skill very useful (ignore whatever aug gives you hacking fortification), but didn't make much use of the Charisma/pheromone implant. One of the most forgiving aspects of the game is that it encourages you to play however you want, with whatever style you'd care to enjoy.

In short, there's almost no way to cripple yourself out of getting the most out of the game.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Btw, are you still in charge of the wiki edits? Could you throw in some DE:HR tips about dealing with bosses and hacking I've posted earlier?

I am. I went through your post history and found the post you were talking about, then added it to the wiki.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Thanks for the UU hints chaps.

In relation to Deus Ex: HR, I wouldn't worry with a wiki. As people have already said, it's difficult to gimp yourself and it should be pretty clear as you play which augs you'll want. Towards the end of my playthrough I was using praxis points on things I didn't really want as I had so many spare.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think the one thing that needs to be said about Deus Ex: Human Revolution is that in order to be swimming in praxis points, you need to play stealthily, ideally not killing enemies. If you're planning on a run and gun, you need to think more carefully about your aug choices.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My tidbits of advice for DX:hr:

• Don't try for the nonlethal achievement. IMHO, it's poorly implemented and feels artificial. You won't be told if you've killed someone, so you can reach the end of the game, not get the achievement and have no idea why.

• There's only one spot in the game where you need to hurry: before rescuing the hostages in the first episode. This includes HQ beforehand.

• If you pick up a gun you already have, you get the ammo and the gun vanishes. It's tedious, but you can make lots of money by going back and forth to the gun dealer to sell found guns one by one.

• Still, you shouldn't obsess about money. Other than the 2 Praxis available at LIMB at the start of each episode, there isn't much to buy.

• Typhoon makes bosses cry.

• The shotgun is a rape machine, especially upgraded.

• Yes, the ending is rather limp.

• Watch the ending credits all the way through for a little treat. (You have played the original DX, right? Right???)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kinda old, but: having loved the first three Splinter Cell games years ago, I picked up Splinter Cell: Double Agent and I've found that my stealth muscles are pretty rusty, so any tips would be welcome.

More to the point, I know that the game's gimmick is that you need to balance your reputation with two factions. Is it possible to do an "optimal" run that keeps both happy? If not, is either faction a better choice for any reason?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gynovore posted:

There's only one spot in the game where you need to hurry: before rescuing the hostages in the first episode. This includes HQ beforehand.

And also if you want to save your friend Malik.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Tell me how to break Two Worlds II (X360) over my knee. :spergin:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

I am. I went through your post history and found the post you were talking about, then added it to the wiki.
Oh yeah. I, uh... probably should have linked to the post to begin with (insert anime sweatdrop here)

Thanks.

Edit - And that's two "ones" when I meant "once". I English good :/

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 6, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Scientastic posted:

And also if you want to save your friend Malik.

This has been covered over and over again, but it bears repeating once more: you absolutely can accomplish this in a non-lethal playthrough.

It's all about threat assessment--prioritize targets in order of the risk they pose to your friend, not to you (also, I hope you have an EMP grenade before going into this fight!).

If you run to that elevator too early like a coward, you deserve the scene you get to see, you heartless piece of poo poo :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This has been covered over and over again, but it bears repeating once more: you absolutely can accomplish this in a non-lethal playthrough.

It's all about threat assessment--prioritize targets in order of the risk they pose to your friend, not to you (also, I hope you have an EMP grenade before going into this fight!).

Yeah, during that scene the enemies do not fire on you at all, IIRC. Just whip out the sniper rifle and go nuts, don't even bother to take cover.

This reminds me... at the start of the game, when Sarif asks you about tactics, choose nonlethal/ranged. This gets you the tranquilizer rifle, which is the only scoped weapon you'll get for a while.