Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Torchlight is fantastic but we all probably already own it.

Riddick: Butcher Bay is a fantastic game and the graphical overhaul makes it excellent :) Dark Athena, sadly, is distinctly average.

Torchlight gets my vote :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Riddick is first person melee combat done right. So satisfying, and so goddamn brutal. I really can't think of anything quite like it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today on DotEmu is 50% off Interplay and Trilobyte games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blodskur posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick and Torchlight are battling it out right now.

$15 price points on these games. :psyduck:

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
A heads up that you get a copy of Torchlight as a pre-order bonus for Torchlight 2 on Steam, might be a better deal to some.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Blodskur posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick and Torchlight are battling it out right now.

Whoa. When did they start selling these two awesome games? My library is about to get bigger by two games again.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

To be fair, that is the Chronicles of Riddick remake + expansion double-pack, not the original game. Honestly, I think Riddick needs to be cheaper so that more people can play it. Who'd have thought that a Vin Diesel game would be great?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

To be fair, that is the Chronicles of Riddick remake + expansion double-pack, not the original game. Honestly, I think Riddick needs to be cheaper so that more people can play it. Who'd have thought that a Vin Diesel game would be great?

To be fair, he's a hardcore gamer who founded his own game studio. This was their first release :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Convex posted:

To be fair, he's a hardcore gamer who founded his own game studio. This was their first release :v:

He was co-producer, or some other assisting role, but the game was developed by Swedish outfit Starbreeze.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Riddick is first person melee combat done right. So satisfying, and so goddamn brutal. I really can't think of anything quite like it.

I think Zeno Clash did it slightly better but Riddick is close.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

I think Zeno Clash did it slightly better but Riddick is close.

Riddick does a lot more, too. Zeno Clash had great melee combat, but that's because it was all punching, all the time. Riddick does great stealth and workmanlike shooting, too.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Torchlight is $15 on Steam, and Chronicles of Riddick is $20 on Steam. The $15 price point makes sense.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm looking at Hardwar on DotEmu after seeing it recommended a few times. Can someone give me the lowdown on this game? It looks like X3 or Freelancer, but confined to one (ugly as gently caress) planet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

jvempire posted:

Torchlight is $15 on Steam, and Chronicles of Riddick is $20 on Steam. The $15 price point makes sense.

Too much for me personally, and Steam doesn't determine what a game's absolute worth is, either.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 6, 2012

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Contest Winner posted:

I'm looking at Hardwar on DotEmu after seeing it recommended a few times. Can someone give me the lowdown on this game? It looks like X3 or Freelancer, but confined to one (ugly as gently caress) planet.

The coolest thing about that game is that it had a warp records soundtrack...which unfortunately has been removed from the DotEmu release due to licensing issues :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Contest Winner posted:

Speaking as someone always fascinated by those kinds of games, but not able to get into them, I found Hardwar very accessible. You say the planet is ugly as gently caress, but I think the tDR style of the game has held up quite well.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Dominic White posted:

Riddick does a lot more, too. Zeno Clash had great melee combat, but that's because it was all punching, all the time. Riddick does great stealth and workmanlike shooting, too.

I'll agree with that. The stealth is great.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Hardwar isn't set on a planet, it's a moon. Titan. :colbert:

Fun fact, allegedly the atmosphere on Titan is so thick and the gravity is so weak that a human could conceivably fly by flapping a pair of wings.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like Chronicles of Riddick won. It's $6 now, which is ridiculously good value. It's the full HD remake of the original Escape From Butcher Bay campaign (which is more melee/stealth focused) and continues directly into the Assault On Dark Athena expansion, which has a bit more shooting, but is still pretty fun and has some memorable moments.

Also, a hint for a particular sticking point in Dark Athena. When you're on an open elevator with a drone Just don't fire - you're in the shadows and holding the drone. The guards can't tell that you're there.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 6, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Have to admit, this summer sale from GoG was disappointing. Too many slots wasted on the overpriced "new games" and none of the games people really wanted to get a sale, like the D&D games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rirse posted:

Have to admit, this summer sale from GoG was disappointing. Too many slots wasted on the overpriced "new games" and none of the games people really wanted to get a sale, like the D&D games.

At least the D&D ones go on their own sale a fair bit. I picked up almost all of them for 15 bucks or so when they had the buy 1 get 1 deal.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Yeah, it would have been nice to see some of those Eidos titles on sale.

Knew it wasn't going to happen since they're all pretty new, but a man can dream.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rirse posted:

It's been better than the Steam summer sale this year.

Zing! :tipshat:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

macnbc posted:

Oh, I dunno if I'd necessarily say that. :3:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, I dunno if I'd necessarily say that. :3:

You monster

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

macnbc posted:

It's been confirmed that there will be a summer sale on the Steam forums. It's most likely going to be on the 12th, though this part is speculation on my end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

senae posted:

You monster

Carpe Fulgur's mystery project release during summer sale confirmed.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's been confirmed that there will be a summer sale on the Steam forums. It's most likely going to be on the 12th, though this part is speculation on my end.

Quickly! Let's go to the Steam thread and ask everyone there if they know when the Summer sale starts.
I keep speculating it'll start on a Monday though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Between Apache vs Havoc and Commanche vs Hokum, which should I be picking up? Those games look real cool to someone who missed out on the original Jane's Longbow.

Also, Strategic Command European Theater is a cool beer-and-pretzels game that will let you win WW2 as your choice of faction over an afternoon without getting bogged down in micromanagement. There's even a hypothetical 1985-Cold-War-Gone-Hot scenario/mod for it.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
How does the GOG Chronicles of Riddick remake + expansion compare to the original Chronicles of Riddick release (which I own)? I don't have the expansion, but reading some reviews of the GOG pack seem to suggest that the original release is better, and the expansion somewhat disappointing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bursk posted:

How does the GOG Chronicles of Riddick remake + expansion compare to the original Chronicles of Riddick release (which I own)? I don't have the expansion, but reading some reviews of the GOG pack seem to suggest that the original release is better, and the expansion somewhat disappointing.

Anyone who says that the original version is better is flat-out lying, or is so high on nostalgia-juice that they can be safely ignored.

Dark Athena isn't quite as good as Escape From Butcher Bay, but it's not bad by any means. It just has a little more focus on shooting and a few more non-stealth areas.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The rerelease is the same game with some graphics and performance tweaks from my understanding (I never played the original.)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Between Apache vs Havoc and Commanche vs Hokum, which should I be picking up? Those games look real cool to someone who missed out on the original Jane's Longbow.

Comanche vs Hokum is the newer one, but if you have both you can add the cockpits from AH to CH. There's also a bunch of user made addons to the whole EECH thing which you can find info about here: http://www.eechcentral.com/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I ended up just getting both and adding the EECHCentral pack, because, eh, six bucks. What I really like about it is that you can dial down some of the simmy aspects and just pick a map and tell it to start a war. Then you can just fly around and go on little missions and blow stuff up, without feeling like you're playing an arcade game. And then you blow up, but it's ok, because you can instantly jump into another one somewhere on the map! Great fun if you like helicopters in Arma, but always feel like you're swimming in Jell-O.

If the netcode weren't poo poo, this would be a great multiplayer game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

I ended up just getting both and adding the EECHCentral pack, because, eh, six bucks. What I really like about it is that you can dial down some of the simmy aspects and just pick a map and tell it to start a war. Then you can just fly around and go on little missions and blow stuff up, without feeling like you're playing an arcade game. And then you blow up, but it's ok, because you can instantly jump into another one somewhere on the map! Great fun if you like helicopters in Arma, but always feel like you're swimming in Jell-O.

If the netcode weren't poo poo, this would be a great multiplayer game.

Okay, this sold me. I bought them both :) Thanks!

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Good to hear that steam supports the orange order.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Contest Winner posted:

Sort of, I'd actually compare it more to Independence War 2 or something (never played the original sadly). It's accessible and fun but the combat's not super deep (not shallow, but not deep either) and the graphics are definitely dated. It's probably still a better game than Freelancer.

The bigger problem was that it was sorta abandoned before getting polished and the source is in legal limbo. Players added a bunch of features in patches, but they never got past what was realistically an alpha. Among other things, they added an economy that actually functioned (i.e. you bring factories metal and parts and they produce things, trade hubs shift prices based on what they have in supply/excess, other traders exploit this too, that kind of thing) rather than simply spawning/deleting items but this would lead to the economy eventually getting borked. There was another project (Hardwar Enhanced) to take that further but it looks like the last release of that was 2004.

Shame, it was a solid base and had a diehard community. If they could have gotten source it could have turned into a Freespace 2-style platform for modding.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 9, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Anyone who says that the original version is better is flat-out lying, or is so high on nostalgia-juice that they can be safely ignored.

Dark Athena isn't quite as good as Escape From Butcher Bay, but it's not bad by any means. It just has a little more focus on shooting and a few more non-stealth areas.
Both feature amazing motion capture, and Dark Athena is worth every last cent solely for Exbob. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-J551JKdlI
(don't watch it if you're going to play it, though not so much for spoiler reasons, just that you might as well experience the glory of Exbob in the game)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Summer Special: Legend of Grimrock is 50% off ($7.49) until Wednesday July 11 at 5:59 AM EDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
The second part of Spoony's Ultima 9 retrospective is up, for those that care.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/07/09/ultima-9-ascension-part-2/

Speaking of which, U9 should be landing on gog.com soon. I'll probably be the only one to buy it. :saddowns: