Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nexus6 posted:

I remember when we didn't have ads in our mobile games. Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games, and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in our mobile games, no siree.

Television ads don't usually pop up in the middle of the screen, though. They happen during scheduled breaks. Product placement is a better analogy, but even that rarely interrupts the flow.

I don't mind ads in games, but that's probably because I don't play any games that have ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Television ads don't usually pop up in the middle of the screen, though. They happen during scheduled breaks. Product placement is a better analogy, but even that rarely interrupts the flow.

I don't mind ads in games, but that's probably because I don't play any games that have ads.

Ads do pop up in the middle of the screen* and it pisses me off just as much as ads in the notification tray.

* Warning: Really large GIF.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 5, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Ads do pop up in the middle of the screen and it pisses me off just as much as ads in the notification tray.

Yes, this is something new and horrible. Fox Sports has been around for a long time and didn't used to have a dumb little robot that ran on to the screen and pointed to their sponsors during lulls in the game. Ads have now become intrusive to the point that they are degrading the experience of the product that they surround, and shrugging your shoulders and saying "oh well" is one step toward being a spoon-fed brainwashed corporate zombie. Don't accept it. (I know that you, Lowen SoDium, are specifically not accepting it - this is aimed at anyone who would defend the practice).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ I sort of agree with you but "spoon-fed corporate zombie" is the kind of talk that makes these discussions turn into nightmares. Please don't do that.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Ads do pop up in the middle of the screen* and it pisses me off just as much as ads in the notification tray.

* Warning: Really large GIF.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Those seem to mostly be in sports programs, as far as I've seen. Most TV I watch is via Hulu or in some other way on my computer (box sets) so I don't see those much. They are annoying as poo poo when college football season rolls around, I'll give you that.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 5, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I remember when we didn't have ads in our mobile games. Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games, and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in our mobile games, no siree.

With the exception of TV and radio they're not actively grabbing at your attention. TV and radio ads are, but are generally in fenced off commercial breaks - sporting events being the near single exception, where there's animated poo poo all over the screen at pretty much all times throughout the program.

Mobile notification ads are obnoxious because they're using an active channel that we're currently conditioned to regard as reserved for priority communications as designated by us, and getting ads on that channel is really jarring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Midjack posted:

Mobile notification ads are obnoxious because they're using an active channel that we're currently conditioned to regard as reserved for priority communications as designated by us, and getting ads on that channel is really jarring.

Don't they also use up a nonzero amount of network bandwidth? I can't imagine they'd be the one thing that pushes someone over their data limit (if they even have one) but still, that's another reason for them being kind of dodgy.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

It's terrible when there is something important and I'm waiting to hear from a friend/family member about something and my phone vibrates; I grab it and it's "Free Facebook Contest Giveaway! Just give us personal info!" from some dumb game I haven't played in a month. This is one step from full blown telemarketer, in my opinion.

Edit: I have email notifications turned off. My offender was Zenonia 4. Which has since been removed.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 5, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, I hate that too! Wait, I'm thinking of email. Do you have a whitelist for your inbox or something?

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

nexus6 posted:

:zoid: I saw an ad in my mobile game once. A big, floating ad that lit up with every color of the rainbow, plus some new ones that were so beautiful I fell to my knees and cried. For one brief moment, I felt the heartbeat of creation, and it was one with my own.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, it seems like a weird knee-jerk thing for some people. Shucks, I have Woot Watcher installed which runs entirely on notifications. If I don't want my phone to wake me up at night over dumb stuff, I turn off my notification sounds; shocking, I know. What do you guys do when a random email or drunk-text wakes you up? Call up the sender and rage at them? v:v:v

poo poo, there's a vast different between getting a requested notification from a setting in an app saying NEW EMAIL or WEATHER ALERT versus getting an unrequested/unsolicited notification from a game saying "BUY OUR poo poo NOW". It's not a "weird knee-jerk".

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CLAM DOWN posted:

poo poo, there's a vast different between getting a requested notification from a setting in an app saying NEW EMAIL or WEATHER ALERT versus getting an unrequested/unsolicited notification from a game saying "BUY OUR poo poo NOW". It's not a "weird knee-jerk".

I have had strike fleet omega installed for a week or two and have only noticed two notifications in the last two days. I would consider someone uninstalling a game for offering what is essentially a coupon for the game and its own products, to be weird knee jerk.

Dude who claims he was waiting for some emergency text message and who was taken on an emotional roller coaster by some notification, that's pretty weird as well.

Maybe giving certain contacts custom notification sounds could save all of you from this emotional turmoil.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I have had strike fleet omega installed for a week or two and have only noticed two notifications in the last two days. I would consider someone uninstalling a game for offering what is essentially a coupon for the game and its own products, to be weird knee jerk.

Dude who claims he was waiting for some emergency text message and who was taken on an emotional roller coaster by some notification, that's pretty weird as well.

Maybe giving certain contacts custom notification sounds could save all of you from this emotional turmoil.

Of course that's weird and stupid, it's also hyperbole which is too common for my liking. I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong at all with really disliking ad notifications for a game that are unsolicited. It's not a problem with notifications in general, but we want those to be requested and not just game ads out of nowhere (especially if you've already bought an IAP like I have).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

Or maybe this game could shut the gently caress up and folks like you would respect that people don't like their space intruded upon in this manner.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I haven't installed anything that did it to me, but I imagine if I'm having unsolicited coupons sent to me under the guise of a system notification, I'd be pretty pissed. Especially if it's a thing that I paid for.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Or you could have a weird, hyperbolic knee-jerk reaction to someone saying they won't put up with ads that interfere with the normal use of the phone.

No one is saying the game can't offer coupons, its how it delivers those that's the issue. By all means, as soon as I start up your game, pop up a screen asking me if I want to buy some points. But harassing people when they're doing nothing related to the game isn't a good way to go about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I don't really see what's wrong with not wanting notifications over useless bullshit. It's my phone, not the developers. If they want to give me the option to use notifications, go ahead. If they're going to take advantage of non-game related functions of the OS to try to get my attention to spend more money on their game, screw them, it's getting uninstalled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I must be really naive. I've never installed, nor even heard of, a game sending you text messages or whatever. :stare:

That should be literally illegal. As should blind-call telemarketing, which has begun happening on cell phones now, even though I never give my number to anyone, ever, except people I meet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

precision posted:

I must be really naive. I've never installed, nor even heard of, a game sending you text messages or whatever. :stare:

That should be literally illegal. As should blind-call telemarketing, which has begun happening on cell phones now, even though I never give my number to anyone, ever, except people I meet.

It's not text messages, read what we're writing. It's notification pushes.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

precision posted:

It doesn't send you a text message; what it does is place a notification into your notification bar. Depending on your phone's settings, this either vibrates the phone, makes a beep, or lights up your notification LED... just as if you'd missed a text or a call. It is pretty annoying when your phone is lit up and it's not a message from a friend and is instead a game nagging you to give them money.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I thought some awesome new game came out :smith:.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not text messages, read what we're writing. It's notification pushes.

Right, I worded that poorly, I meant I didn't know having a game installed would make my phone beep at me as if I got a text or missed call.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong about getting outraged that a game would do that.

(And yes, if I get woken up in the night by a Drunk Text, I usually DO bitch the person out, but I'm far more likely to wake someone else up with one of those :v: )

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The Android Gaming Megathread: Friends and Family or get off my phone!

Personally, I find video ads that disable all your buttons for the duration of the unskippable video (whose raucous volume you can't lower thanks to the button lockout) to be a little more distasteful.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

At night, my phone gets silenced and placed on my wallet face down, so it has no chance of waking me up

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Splizwarf posted:

Personally, I find video ads that disable all your buttons for the duration of the unskippable video (whose raucous volume you can't lower thanks to the button lockout) to be a little more distasteful.

Nothing worse than this happening while you are taking a poo poo at work, and someone is in the stall next to you.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Please tell me what apps include this, because I need to never install them.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

That would also be awful, and I'd probably not play that either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, this is a thing now? Holy poo poo, that's terrible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I've never seen those, but I use AdAway so that may be why. Those being worse doesn't make notifications better though. I shouldn't have to mute my phone to stop games from bothering me while I'm not playing them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MikeJF posted:

Wait, this is a thing now? Holy poo poo, that's terrible.

I've never heard of it, but I know Apple patented technology related to just that, yeah.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

That poo poo won't even get installed. What the gently caress does this?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty good but the controls can be a little iffy. For one, the "analog stick" works wherever you put your thumb on the screen, but to activate anything you just tap anywhere on the screen when the prompt pops up. That means anytime you want to examine anything, talk to anyone, or open a chest, you have to position yourself facing it, stop, wait a second, and then tap the screen. It gets pretty obnoxious and for some reason they don't just allow multitouch.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You know, that's something I'd expect out of a free to play app, not a $16 app.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is the Ur Quan Masters Android port any good?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You know, that's something I'd expect out of a free to play app, not a $16 app.

Square is not known for well made ports. Their worst port is Chrono Trigger to the PSX, it was the Japanese version running in an emulator with a real time translation patch and it ran like poo poo.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well regarded iOS top-down racing game Draw Race 2 (NA version, Rest of the World version) got released on Android a few days ago.

Its pretty interesting, before each race you draw lines around a circuit for your car to follow. The catch is that your speed is based on how fast you draw the racing line around the track, which is important since going fast into a corner will do things like send your car flying into a wall. Because of this it becomes more of a puzzle game than a typical racing game, though you still have some direct control of your car in the form of a nitro button. It's actually quite challenging early on because you have to try get your head around how to tackle the track, and from what I've heard it gets really hard later on.

Its from Red Lynx, the Trials HD guys so it looks pretty slick, and there's about 180 races so its a pretty lengthy game.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 6, 2012

T00kus
May 25, 2010

yobbing in a strange land..

Yaos posted:

Square is not known for well made ports. Their worst port is Chrono Trigger to the PSX, it was the Japanese version running in an emulator with a real time translation patch and it ran like poo poo.

Speaking of Chrono Trigger...this came out yesterday

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.parralax.games.chronotrigger.snesdroid&feature=search_result

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Wonder how long it'll take before that gets pulled.

T00kus
May 25, 2010

yobbing in a strange land..
Why would that happen?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Well regarded iOS top-down racing game Draw Race 2 got released on Android a few days ago.

Its pretty interesting, before each race you draw lines around a circuit for your car to follow. The catch is that your speed is based on how fast you draw the racing line around the track, which is important since going fast into a corner will do things like send your car flying into a wall. Because of this it becomes more of a puzzle game than a typical racing game, though you still have some direct control of your car in the form of a nitro button. It's actually quite challenging early on because you have to try get your head around how to tackle the track, and from what I've heard it gets really hard later on.

Its from Red Lynx, the Trials HD guys so it looks pretty slick, and there's about 180 races so its a pretty lengthy game.

This looks awesome but "Not available in your country". It's published by EA and I'm in the US on AT&T on a stock unrooted S3. :psyduck:

What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

T00kus posted:

Why would that happen?

I'm pretty sure "ATH Developer" doesn't own the copyright to both Chrono Trigger and Rock'n'Roll Racing.

• Locked thread