Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A depressingly sad day for British comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Handsome Dead posted:

I could never get into Spooks. It's too obviously a reaction to losing the rights to 24 to Sky.

The first season of 24 hadn't gotten half way through by the time that Spooks kicked off, didn't it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

A depressingly sad day for British comedy.

I didn't see the Sykes news on the previous page and presumed you were talking about The Midnight Beast that starts on E4 this week.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

The pHo posted:

I didn't see the Sykes news on the previous page and presumed you were talking about The Midnight Beast that starts on E4 this week.

I love The Midnight Beast but I'm not holding out much hope for the show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Brown Moses posted:

AIOTM also has the greatest heckle ever in the final episode, it's worth listening to all the preceeding episodes just for the setup for that one heckle.

I can't remember the heckle. :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Apparently the first YouView box will cost £300.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18712490

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Lots of "It's too expensive!" (it's barely more expensive than Humax's existing top of the line PVR), "No WIFI!" (a dongle is almost certainly on the way.) and "it's too late!" (I must have missed the bit where somebody had already won the VOD market)

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Lots of "It's too expensive!" (it's barely more expensive than Humax's existing top of the line PVR)

As the only box available, it is definitely too expensive. More expensive than a current top of the line PVR is not a good thing for the only product available. They expect the price to drop to £99 in a couple of years, I can not see how this is going to get a decent market penetration before it is assigned to the technical failure bin. It is a shame, and a lower price (or a lower spec box also available) to entice people who don't want to pay monthly for Sky+ would have been a great start.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is it worth that much money in it's current state? I'm going to say no. I've never had Sky+ or Virgin-Whatever but with an AppleTV[2] and iOS devices to throw content at it, the YouView box feels like a throwback. It's not a pleasant experience to use.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ultimately, Youview's sucess won't be measured in how many boxes Humax sell in the next 12 months. It's if it manages to become ubiquitous in freeview/freesat/televisions.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
BT is producing their own "heavily subsidised" box, no idea what the conditions will be though. Personally I think YouView is a great idea and that it's not too late (especially considering Silicon Valley's attempt are media devices rather than TV devices), but it is under no circumstances worth £300. You could by some lovely mini PC for that plug it into your TV.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ultimately, Youview's sucess won't be measured in how many boxes Humax sell in the next 12 months. It's if it manages to become ubiquitous in freeview/freesat/televisions.

Very true, if it becomes the standard as Freeview (perhaps it could replace it?) did then undoubtably it will be successful. This is not a great opening salvo though.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
You could get a cheap laptop and a VGA cable for that amount. No way they'll sell any at all at that price.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

But most people don't want to mess around with plugging laptops in to their livingroom television. If I went around to my parents knowing I could hook it all up in a couple of minutes, they'd still tell me if was too much hassle.

Also: Humax HDR-FOX T2 1TB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder. £289.95. (swap 500GB of disk space for VOD and you've got the Youview box). I reckon Humax already have a good idea of how many boxes they can sell at that price.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

But most people don't want to mess around with plugging laptops in to their livingroom television. If I went around to my parents knowing I could hook it all up in a couple of minutes, they'd still tell me if was too much hassle.

I guess the question is, is youview marketed for your Average Joe family or your more techie minded person? The latter is not going to pay £300 when they could, for example, spend a little bit more on a laptop.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

meme posted:

whatever happened to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? He knew his telly onions, worked for sky I think. Did he go when the UK megathread guys started to leave?

No I'm still here! Just been very busy.

Also oh dear poor graphics editor,

Spelling your new bosses name wrong, hopefully by the time he takes over you'll have got it.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

The Supreme Court posted:

You could get a cheap laptop and a VGA cable for that amount. No way they'll sell any at all at that price.

You could get an Xbox for half, don't they have iplayer and netflix and so on?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

You could get an Xbox for half, don't they have iplayer and netflix and so on?

Yep, iPlayer, netflix, 4oD, and soon enough a web browser.

I don't really get all these new fangled tv boxes when other devices have been doing the same things for years now.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Spelling your new bosses name wrong, hopefully by the time he takes over you'll have got it.

That's nothing compared to the Halo gaffe.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Pablo Bluth posted:

This, although the bulk of users will probably be BT/TalkTalk I would expect. A lot of the arguments I've seen since the launch are of the "yes but if you had this, this and this device you could do all of the things YouView does". Completely true, but the idea is to stitch them into one device, which is (in my opinion) far slicker than any of the other devices out there.

I'll be interested to see what the various people here who are on the trial and any early adopters have to say once the NDA is lifted.

NaDy posted:

Yep, iPlayer, netflix, 4oD, and soon enough a web browser.

I don't really get all these new fangled tv boxes when other devices have been doing the same things for years now.

The current devices split all the content into different applications - so to view 4oD content (apart from a small featured section) you have to launch the 4oD application, find the content and then play it etc. With YouView although there are distinct applications for the different content providers, everything is shared and launched through a core program UI. So I don't think the comparisons are completely apt, but certainly YouView would have been a more unique prospect 2 years ago - no getting away from that.

Jollzwhin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 5, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jollzwhin posted:

The current devices split all the content into different applications - so to view 4oD content (apart from a small featured section) you have to launch the 4oD application, find the content and then play it etc. With YouView although there are distinct applications for the different content providers, everything is shared and launched through a core program UI. So I don't think the comparisons are completely apt, but certainly YouView would have been a more unique prospect 2 years ago - no getting away from that.

I can't really see people paying £300 for that kind of slickness and convenience though. £100, maybe....

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Tonight's The Hotel Inspector is set in a naturist spa a few doors down from my office. I was barred from this naturist spa about 6 months ago because the owner has no sense of justice.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

I can't really see people paying £300 for that kind of slickness and convenience though. £100, maybe....

Hopefully the next range of boxes are going to be cheaper, agreed. This is a large part of why I expect BT/TalkTalk to create the lions share of YouView customers.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Padje posted:

Tonight's The Hotel Inspector is set in a naturist spa a few doors down from my office. I was barred from this naturist spa about 6 months ago because the owner has no sense of justice.

How did you get barred?

I hope it wasn't inappropriate behaviour (nudge, wink etc).

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Padje posted:

This definitely requires an explanation. I've never even heard of a naturist spa before.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I wondered if someone in BBC News has it in for him. They showed his rise through the BBC accompanied by pictures showing how his hairline's receded over time.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

stickyfngrdboy posted:

How did you get barred?

I hope it wasn't inappropriate behaviour (nudge, wink etc).

It was related to my job. I don't know how explicit I can be, so I'll just say someone that works there needed squeezing, and I'm in charge of squeezing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Padje posted:

It was related to my job. I don't know how explicit I can be, so I'll just say someone that works there needed squeezing, and I'm in charge of squeezing.

I assume you're using Cockney villain-esque parlance when you use the term 'squeezing' and you don't mean you were physically squeezing a member of the naturist spa (although I quite like the idea of the latter).

Your response has only created more questions. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Would you say it was a squeaze too far?

I'll get my coat.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Jollzwhin posted:

The 360 does the shared UI thing as well, you can search for something on the main screen and it will return results from every provider. You do still have to go into the separate apps just for browsing through the services though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jollzwhin posted:

You are describing one thing and then something else which is exactly the same, and then implying they're different. In fact the YouView is potentially worse because the apps all have completely different UIs, whereas on 360 they all use the same basic template.

People saying you could just use a cheap laptop are wrong, unless that cheap laptop comes with a HD tv tuner and some sort of recording scheduling application, which it won't for sub-£300.

The future is mobile devices like phones and tablets sending content to your TV/box/whatever, like DLNA, AirPlay, and SmartGlass. Set top boxes feel very antiquated at this point. The TV remote feels like a relic of a bygone time.

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah
Thought I would chime in here and add Spy. Recently I have run across this gem on hulu plus and it is pretty hilarious. Thanks Brits!

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Akuma posted:

You are describing one thing and then something else which is exactly the same, and then implying they're different. In fact the YouView is potentially worse because the apps all have completely different UIs, whereas on 360 they all use the same basic template.

People saying you could just use a cheap laptop are wrong, unless that cheap laptop comes with a HD tv tuner and some sort of recording scheduling application, which it won't for sub-£300.

The future is mobile devices like phones and tablets sending content to your TV/box/whatever, like DLNA, AirPlay, and SmartGlass. Set top boxes feel very antiquated at this point. The TV remote feels like a relic of a bygone time.

A lot of these technologies are great in theory and look brilliant in tech demos. The problem is actually getting content onto them. AirPlay and SmartGlass both lack studio-approved DRM (I have no clue about DLNA), so any studio (US TV + film) content will not be granted rights to play back from these devices. I have a feeling it's probably going to change in the next couple of years, but at the moment they are a long way from where they need to be. Getting rights to play back content on devices is a really big deal, YouView at least has approved DRM here (Marlin), so will have more content than most platforms.

RE Xbox/YouView - YouView has FreeView built in and hooks directly up to the EPG both with linear and VoD metadata - that's the distinction there. Maybe not a £300 distinction of course. A lot of the added value will probably come from IP channels as well, again depending on the uptake. The YouView apps all have to follow fairly rigid UI guidelines, but yes in practice there are some fairly large differences between the applications. One (out of the 4 Broadcaster) app aside, there's a fair degree of consistency so far though.

Jollzwhin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 5, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Isn't the knowledge that it'll drop in price fairly soon a massive deterrent for the average consumer anyway?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jollzwhin posted:

A lot of these technologies are great in theory and look brilliant in tech demos. The problem is actually getting content onto them. AirPlay and SmartGlass both lack studio-approved DRM (I have no clue about DLNA), so any studio (US TV + film) content will not be granted rights to play back from these devices.
What are you talking about? I can open up the iPlayer on my iOS device and press a button and it's on my TV, right now. I can buy or rent a movie on my phone at work, then push a button when I get home and it's on my TV. This exists right now. For Netflix it's on both the AppleTV and every other device already so that's not quite the same but it's almost as useful - since things like last-played and last-position sync automatically.

This is not some future technology or use-case, people have been doing it for ages. Navigating poorly designed menus on your TV with a massive, overly complicated remote is a step backwards.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Akuma posted:

What are you talking about? I can open up the iPlayer on my iOS device and press a button and it's on my TV, right now. I can buy or rent a movie on my phone at work, then push a button when I get home and it's on my TV. This exists right now. For Netflix it's on both the AppleTV and every other device already so that's not quite the same but it's almost as useful - since things like last-played and last-position sync automatically.

This is not some future technology or use-case, people have been doing it for ages. Navigating poorly designed menus on your TV with a massive, overly complicated remote is a step backwards.

The BBC don't have to worry about DRM to the vast majority of their content as they created most of it (and in general the BBC can get away with far more than anyone else). 4oD removed AirPlay from their iOS app today for example, they can't support it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

This bloke was in charge of the Jubilee coverage on the BBC. Here's hoping he 'owns the tone' of the next few years of BBC content a little better, eh?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Sion posted:

This bloke was in charge of the Jubilee coverage on the BBC. Here's hoping he 'owns the tone' of the next few years of BBC content a little better, eh?

He also brought Miranda to BBC1.

We are hosed

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I feel YouView is for the large portion of the population that maybe have a laptop but certainly don't have an ipad or xbox or pvr. It's not going to take off overnight but when it comes down in price/gets built into television sets, it will be something that slowly becomes the norm.

I absolutely have no need for YouView but I am excited about it because it has the potential to deliver a lot of interesting content, to allow for pay services (such as the possibilities of the BBC Archive or sky's new NOW services) and it will allow older relatives to enjoy TV in the same way that have done for years.

I think Christmas 2012 will be the first real test of its retail positioning.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
So nobody here uses anything like Myth TV then?

http://www.mythtv.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Going back to Geordie Shore chat, you guys were right about Vicky: she's horrible and the stuff with Ricci was an embarrassment waiting to happen. Speaking of which, there was no need for the state of Holly, particularly because it's all over James.

So far, this is my rankings for the housemates:-

Gaz
Charlotte :3:
Sophie
James
Jay
Holly
Joel (Don't know if he counts)

Vicky
Ricci