Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Nice event up now - free Flag Speed permanent travel power, unlocks account wide.

See Liberty Guard by Defender in Ren Cen for the mission. Pretty easy, you just have to complete the Red Winter alert successfully 3x.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7yRsKM2Xs

catfrog fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
There's a C-Store sale going on, 20% off. These don't happen very often and if you're a lifetime subscriber like me you've probably been sitting on a big pile of points just waiting for one to come around to spend it. Don't miss your chance!

If you're hurting on points, you can participate in some of the Peanut Labs offers and surveys: http://offers.perfectworld.com I can personally vouch for them after having done quite a few. Bear in mind, you have to do a ZEN -> Cryptic Points conversion.

It's a shame this game doesn't seem to have nearly as large of a following on SA as City of Heroes does. The game is legitimately better in every way now since the recent patch.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Yin posted:

The game is legitimately better in every way now since the recent patch.

Either they must've added a huge amount of content, or this is flat wrong. :p Better in some ways, maybe. I still wish CoH had this game's costume creator.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

General Maximus posted:

Either they must've added a huge amount of content, or this is flat wrong. :p Better in some ways, maybe. I still wish CoH had this game's costume creator.

For all the locations it has, CoX only has 1 content. It's the same, beginning to end.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Just crashed in the middle of attempting a Moltar costume and am too lazy to start back up and work on it again. Grabbed a screenshot but it was still rough and had stuff I didn't want on (like the jumpsuit pattern), but here is what I had thus far. Someone feel free to kick it's rear end.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Aphrodite posted:

For all the locations it has, CoX only has 1 content. It's the same, beginning to end.

You could say that of all MMOs, to varying extents.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I don't get this quesonite thing at all, take my money and let me buy things.

Also walked cold into some patriotic CC and won on mecha Nixon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

I don't get this quesonite thing at all, take my money and let me buy things.

Also walked cold into some patriotic CC and won on mecha Nixon.

I don't think they know what patriotism means.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think they know what patriotism means.

Patriotism is bowing to your galactic overlord!

Aroo!

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

ColHannibal posted:

Patriotism is bowing to your galactic overlord!

Aroo!

Nixon, with charisma?

My god.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Veteran travel power is the most obnoxious thing ever.

I love it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Haha, holy christ, that really is. :D

The tights aren't too bad either. Not sure how generically useful they are as costume pieces, but glowing pants have to have some use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone make Professor Dicklight.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I went around in silver metal glow tights at max glow with my new sparkler travel power. I'm assuming that I blinded and/or caused some seizures last night.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
New minor update; Drifter's now offering up a new daily mission where you kill Red-Banner treasure hunters. The upside is that it's extremely easy to farm; the Artifact Hunters almost always drop stuff, and you get a choice between a Questionite Reward (of 500) and a token grab bag.

The downside is that he's selling weapons from that melee-weapons pack. I.E. the weapon pack that nobody bought.

Also, A questionite store transform set that turns you into an ugly runed samurai and has a bonus that makes your physical attacks a bit stronger.

Special tips:
  • You can set up a bind that allows you to easily hound out any targets you need to hunt down for the mission. Try /bind u "target artifact hunter".
  • The items that the mobs drop can actually be transferred to your bank account. If you do this, you can stockpile the drops and then extract them when you're ready for another daily mission run, allowing you to complete the daily with just a short run.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 19, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you don't deposit extras before turning the quest in, he'll snatch any of them you have. So you should deposit them just so they don't go to waste if nothing else.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Damnit when are the batman carbon copy powers hitting live? I have a Noir character in mind but I can't proceed until these unoriginal powers are released!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bluhman posted:

New minor update; Drifter's now offering up a new daily mission where you kill Red-Banner treasure hunters.

So how to you get him to give you this? He only has a store option for my Level 6 or 10 characters...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a new Until field report.

Imminent
Wizard and Witch Costume Set.

In Development
- Nighthawk event. The event includes a new set of missions where you investigate crime scenes. From the sound of it, depending how to do the mission you'll either fight Nighthawk or another villain. Launching with it are a new costume set, archetype, powers and Cape Glide travel power. And of course, one of the rewards from the missions is his jet vehicle.
- We're also getting auras in a dedicated costume slot. So like CoX, basically.
- C-Store coupons, exp gifting, etc.

On the schedule
- More vehicles. The system will include customization (Both cosmetic, and equipment/loadout), and vehicles will be usable on the current exterior maps, plus in special indoor vehicle missions.
- Lair updates
- Zone-wide events. Rift's rifts, basically

Design Discussion
- Large outdoor high level group events. Larger versions of the above
- Alerts stuff
- A sidekick pet system, similar to STO's bridge officer system
- More nemesis stuff
- Hideout expansion
- New Halloween event with a Victorian Steampunk costume set, and Wolf transformation travel power
- More Roi'nesh and Dr. Destroyer

The Future
- A new zone, Dr. Destroyer's island
- New neighborhoods in MC
- An actual end game
- Expanded level cap
- Supergroup leveling system, missions and bases
- Some kind of large war-zone on the moon, where you can become a Not Green Lantern and advance that

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I wish there was some news on what they have planned for all the costume unlocks from the old crafting system, if anything. The Wizard and Witch Costume set is good news because I've been lamenting not having the Mysticism costume unlocks for the wizard I've been wanting to create, but still.

At least the game is doing really well for having such a small team still working on it.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The mysticism crafting unlocks are easily the least impressive. Just some alternate body textures, some chinese-dragon shaped jewelry, and a popped-collar with holes in it.

Either way, the new wizard set is probably going to be pretty bitchin' from what I saw leaked in the tailor glitch that was on the PTS once.

E: can actually view what you missed out on in this useful thread.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

Damnit when are the batman carbon copy powers hitting live? I have a Noir character in mind but I can't proceed until these unoriginal powers are released!
Not soon enough, apparently. :argh:

Aphrodite posted:

Awesome. I'm not a horrible fan of Perfect World, but honestly they seem to be handling Cryptic a lot better, and at least aren't actively loving them over like Atari did. The last patch or two have been pretty good, and the same's been true of STO too; hopefully they can keep it up.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Aphrodite posted:

Imminent
Wizard and Witch Costume Set.

In Development
- Nighthawk event. The event includes a new set of missions where you investigate crime scenes. From the sound of it, depending how to do the mission you'll either fight Nighthawk or another villain. Launching with it are a new costume set, archetype, powers and Cape Glide travel power. And of course, one of the rewards from the missions is his jet vehicle.
- We're also getting auras in a dedicated costume slot. So like CoX, basically.
- C-Store coupons, exp gifting, etc.

On the schedule
- More vehicles. The system will include customization (Both cosmetic, and equipment/loadout), and vehicles will be usable on the current exterior maps, plus in special indoor vehicle missions.
- Lair updates
- Zone-wide events. Rift's rifts, basically

Design Discussion
- Large outdoor high level group events. Larger versions of the above
- Alerts stuff
- A sidekick pet system, similar to STO's bridge officer system
- More nemesis stuff
- Hideout expansion
- New Halloween event with a Victorian Steampunk costume set, and Wolf transformation travel power
- More Roi'nesh and Dr. Destroyer

The Future
- A new zone, Dr. Destroyer's island
- New neighborhoods in MC
- An actual end game
- Expanded level cap
- Supergroup leveling system, missions and bases
- Some kind of large war-zone on the moon, where you can become a Not Green Lantern and advance that

I am a fan of all these things and they sound interesting and cool.

What happened to the CO I used to know where every update was a new dumb transform device and one new lovely mission!?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Atari's not intentionally trying to kill them to keep them from finding a better company.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asimo posted:

Atari's not intentionally trying to kill them to keep them from finding a better company.

This pretty much. Because it ought to be fully explained:

Atari wanted them to pretty much charge for every patch they put out. Especially new content. That was how things started at the release of the game. Later on in their relationship, Atari pretty much treated Cryptic like an abusive boyfriend might treat his girlfriend. Some of the poo poo they got up too by the end of things was pretty much on the level of a Saturday morning cartoon villain's level of dickishness.

The first content expansion, Vibora Bay, in fact, was desperately needed to fill out the end game process. Atari apparently wanted to charge money for it and all future content additions, calling them "DLC". Which at the time was a big thing some companies were considering expanding on to rip off consumers with capitalize on.

In the end, they only backed off after the forums and community of the game pretty much banded together and threatened to pull a SWG NGE style walkout on the game if they did.

Ironically, that, along with Cryptic trying to explain to Atari how utterly retarded their business plan (Which pretty much amounted to "Scam as many customers as we can, then shut the whole thing down and point the blame elsewhere when it blows up in our face and everyone quits.".) was, probably contributed heavily to Atari trying to sabotage the company later on.

Anyways, when Cryptic rightfully pointed out that you'd have to be out of your loving mind to charge for basic content and maintenance expectations in a P2P game, Atari promptly flipped the gently caress out at the idea that the standards of the genre meant that they simply couldn't treat their customers like portable wallets. They then slashed Cryptic's budget to next to nothing.

Obviously this lead to the rate of development slowing immensely, which obviously hurt the game. The adventure packs came out to try to alleviate this. For awhile, Atari pushed Cryptic to sell them too. People pointed out that they were quite literally the only new content that the game was developing, and they weren't even end game or expansion tier content at that. Atari relented, but the damage was done. The adventure packs were filler meant to scam players out of a few bucks. Not replace a missing end game.

The lack of dedicated end game content lead to players hemorrhaging to other games, since Cryptic couldn't afford to put out new content. Doubly so, with Atari pissed off that they couldn't milk the subscribers for a few quick bucks every month. So Atari, firmly against the that whole theoretical concept of "acting like a decent company and investing in the projects that consumers are financing with their subscriptions", decided to slash Cryptic's budget to nothing and try to sell them off.

Then they apparently constantly attempted to turn Cryptic into a faulty property after the sale to PW, but prior to the transition. I can't imagine why they did this except to go the full ten miles in being a dick. Doubly so, since with the removal of Cryptic i'm pretty sure they're officially out of the MMO business now.

Apparently, according to Cryptic there was a good chunk of a year or so where a fair number of the developers were working unpaid for both games. So development on both games completely slowed to halt as a result. Coincidentally, this was around the time CO went F2P to much rejoicing and then promptly received no more content after that, pretty much sabotaging the F2P launch. So that explains that whole confusing debacle.

The story only came out once they were fully under PW's wings. Apparently Cryptic had been getting the shaft for a good long time, what with not having the funding to do anything meaningful. Atari had been pointing the blame at them in meetings and the like so as to avoid implicating themselves in their own dickery.

So Emmert (I believe, it was him, though I can't remember.), quietly let it slip in an interview that Atari had been the ones responsible for the horrible financial, developmental, and sometimes outright bizarre and insane decisions that were made with both games. It was also mentioned at some point that they lied about their claims to fund the two existing MMO's during the sales period.

Hopefully this is a good sign that the game's going to be worth playing again in the future. I have a character at the cap, but it's still boring due to a lack of new content. And leveling a new character is about as exciting, since all of the current content is mostly static in nature.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 23, 2012

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm not surprised since Atari mangled the hell out of the NWN2 release as well. That certainly explains why Vibora Bay was so well done (seriously, the Apocalypse and the fight against Therakiel are loving gorgeous) and why there was basically jack poo poo after that for a year.

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011

Archonex posted:

Atari Stuff

Yeah, I remember being there when the Bay was announced as DLC. People lost their poo poo. We were telling everyone to cancel their subs and warn people away from the game if they went through with it. That was back when the game was still going through the rough starting months with missing mobs and breaking quests.

I'm glad to see them hopeful for the future and would gladly resub after all this time if they did whip up some new content. For now, I'll stick to occasionally buying Cryptic Points.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

This game needs more content like Therakiel's lair. Not a LOT more, but like three or maybe four comparably involved dungeons.

(I miss running it with you guys, poo poo made unemployment bearable :unsmith:)

How's the itemization system doing? I know they messed with equipment, did they reimplement crafting?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nope! Crafting's basically been neutered, and good riddance. (Although it's meant that some crafting-only costume items are currently MIA, whoops). Instead you get mods to slot into items, a la WoW's jewelcrafting and the like, and you can combine these to make better mods and stuff like that. In any case, the net result is you have fewer items to equip but they're better/more potent than they were before. Unfortunately this means any old character is stuck with lovely useless gear, but a quick trip to the AH should fix that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Vermain posted:

I'm not surprised since Atari mangled the hell out of the NWN2 release as well. That certainly explains why Vibora Bay was so well done (seriously, the Apocalypse and the fight against Therakiel are loving gorgeous) and why there was basically jack poo poo after that for a year.

I actually mentioned that in that post at first, but took it out later since I wasn't sure if people would be familiar with it. In short, NWN2 got the same treatment. The developers for it (Obsidian Entertainment, I believe.) had to fix the game up primarily through the expansion packs, with the last one being the one that largely made it playable and fun.

Of course, by that point the community for it was largely dead except for the die hards and crazies. And Atari was perfectly fine with that, since they still got to rip people off. They also did the whole finger pointing bullshit, and pretty much killed the idea of any more afterwards since obviously it had to be Obsidian's/the series fault, not theirs. :shepicide:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a new travel power on the PTS. It's not selectable, but it's there on the list which means C-Store most likely.

It's called Vanishing Speed, and according to the values it has Acrobatics speed and jumping. The phase out lasts up to 20 seconds so odds are it's some kind of stealth and not phasing like Teleport.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Can we get some pics/info on the batman stuff on the pts?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Can we get some pics/info on the batman stuff on the pts?

Only the powers are up.

The animations for all 3 boomerangs are identical. You throw a little thing that is totally not a Batarang and looks like the existing Moon Hawk emblem.

The gas pellets are just little dark spheres on the ground that spray gas upwards.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Is there a travel power?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not on the PTS.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
But will there be? I heard rumors of cape glide.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

But will there be? I heard rumors of cape glide.

That's something coming out with Nighthawk, yeah.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Do we know anything about it? Or are you going to keep replying in yes/no responses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not on the PTS.

Whatever is in the UNTIL report and last State of the Game is it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

With the upcoming Nighthawk update, it's very possible to use stacking Evasive Maneuvers/Night Warrior/Sneak/Smoke bombs to be stealthed forever. :ninja:

Or at least that's what one player says. They might fix it when all that stuff gets off the PTS.