Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Tried Hanzo, but the letterforms are too much Comic Sans for me, going back to Carme.

randyest posted:

I'm old and blind so, while I like hanzo and think it's pretty, I had to revert to stock for the fatty readability. Are there any silly bigger, clearer fonts anyone is using that don't break stuff?

^ Try Carme.

Edit

Also, it's pretty ridiculous that I get better video playback performance (like rock-solid 1080p streaming! on my goddamn mobile phone!) by installing XBMC, than with anything officially available from Apple or the App Store.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Also about Hattori Hanzo font I been using it for a week now and I am very happy. Thanks to Goons my current screens:

Lockscreen

Springboard

Dropdown

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Carme looks awful. Ew.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
:saddowns: Well at least I posted a screenshot so you didn't have to be mad about wasting time on it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wolf on Air posted:

:saddowns: Well at least I posted a screenshot so you didn't have to be mad about wasting time on it.

Hey to each their own. Can you point me to your signal indicators and battery please? I use to have those same ones when I was rooted on Android.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
It's part of 266hd System, it's a $2.99 theme on Cydia. I really like it. Have some orange:

(now with an image host that doesn't ruin everything)

There is a rather... complex... interaction of extensions to make this result. Just picking the ones that are mostly cosmetic, BytaFont / Carme, Dietbar (not visible in screenshot per se), Iconoclasm, IntelliScreenX (which gets themed!), iPhone 4 No Page Dots, No Rotation Status, PerPageHTML, ScrollingBoard, Shrink, Tweetie SMS iOS5 (the only decent text-bubble theme in Cydia), 6Switcher, 266 Iconoclasm, 266hd System

Stargate SG1 Keypad is hilarious, I look forward to confounding random people with it.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 4, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wolf on Air posted:

Sorry. It's all highly subjective. I didn't mean to be mean about it. :) Thanks for the screens.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Someone pointed it out earlier in the thread, but Sansation is really the font to have for your idevice. Hanzo is way too thin.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bobfather posted:

Someone pointed it out earlier in the thread, but Sansation is really the font to have for your idevice. Hanzo is way too thin.

That was me probably. I've tried many fonts but I always go back to Sansation.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Also, Aptdate was released today - banner notifications for Cydia package updates.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Hey, whats that iPod widget in your notification center?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are there any tethering apps that hide the fact I'm tethering from my carrier (AT&T) but don't restrict what websites I can access?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Can I get confirmation that if I use spire and a Siri proxy, then the only information going through that proxy is data I send via Siri, which could include calendar events, emails, etc, if I ask her to read them.

But if I go to safari and check my bank account it's not like that's going through the proxy... right?

Edit: I guess my example goes through https with it's own encryption, so bad example. But you know, any other traffic isn't routed through Siri unless I open it and specifically talk about it.

itskage fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 4, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolf on Air posted:

Tried Hanzo, but the letterforms are too much Comic Sans for me, going back to Carme.

^ Try Carme.

Edit

Also, it's pretty ridiculous that I get better video playback performance (like rock-solid 1080p streaming! on my goddamn mobile phone!) by installing XBMC, than with anything officially available from Apple or the App Store.
I like this a lot, thanks. Sansation looks cool too but I think I prefer carme. It's ridiculous how many quality fonts are available.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
For fonts, you guys might also want to try out Lacuna. I don't have a screenshot at the moment but here's what the font looks like:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

Are there any tethering apps that hide the fact I'm tethering from my carrier (AT&T) but don't restrict what websites I can access?

I've used MyWi since the 3G and never heard a thing from AT&T. I also never go over 5gigs so they probably don't even look.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

nate fisher posted:

Also about Hattori Hanzo font I been using it for a week now and I am very happy. Thanks to Goons my current screens:

Lockscreen

Where does that lock slider come from?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
The lowercase 'k' in that Sansation font is really loving irritating.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bazaar apparatus posted:

The lowercase 'k' in that Sansation font is really loving irritating.
Yeah that's the only real problem with it. Looks like a 'lR' (lowercase L plus tiny capital R); I know people who write lowercase 'k' that way and I do not like them :mad:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

glompix posted:

Where does that lock slider come from?

It is part of the Glasklart HD theme lockscreen with no text.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
I have a jailbroken iPad 2 here on 5.1.1, and it everytime I open iFile it causes the iPad to reboot. Anyone know why this might be happening? Only thing I think I've changed since it last worked was adding some music via PwnTunes, and that's worked fine before.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
RE: Bytafont

I've been playing with this all morning, trying out several different fonts. A few of them are fine for the lockscreen or Springboard, but then I open Tweetbot and....*shivers*. It's just gross.

I've heard nice things about the Avenir font, but it's only available for Fontswap right now, not Bytafont.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Drizzt01 posted:

I've used MyWi since the 3G and never heard a thing from AT&T. I also never go over 5gigs so they probably don't even look.

Really? I had read that MyWi didn't hide activity at all. I'll look into it more. I already got a letter from AT&T telling me to knock it off otherwise I'll lose my unlimited data package and they'll add tethering on. I just don't want to have to use this terrible HughesNet anymore.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

Really? I had read that MyWi didn't hide activity at all. I'll look into it more. I already got a letter from AT&T telling me to knock it off otherwise I'll lose my unlimited data package and they'll add tethering on. I just don't want to have to use this terrible HughesNet anymore.

I got a text, not a letter from AT&T threatening the same. Oddly, I hadn't used MyWi in months, and had just turned it on briefly to get my grandma-in-law's kindle going... Got the text the next day.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

bazaar apparatus posted:

I've been playing with this all morning, trying out several different fonts. A few of them are fine for the lockscreen or Springboard, but then I open Tweetbot and....*shivers*. It's just gross.

I've heard nice things about the Avenir font, but it's only available for Fontswap right now, not Bytafont.

I tried Hattori Hanzo a few pages ago and didn't like it but someone mentioned the Ubuntu font and I now swear by it on both phone and pad.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Any tethering implementation is just forwarding your traffic, it's trivial to snoop around in your http queries and see your useragent be Chrome or Firefox or whatever, and there's nothing that's going to stop this sort of traffic analysis other than VPNing everything using some protocol the phone also supports.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

I got a text, not a letter from AT&T threatening the same. Oddly, I hadn't used MyWi in months, and had just turned it on briefly to get my grandma-in-law's kindle going... Got the text the next day.

I think I just did my biggest one-day download session over 3G with AT&T since I signed up with them in 2009. MyWi with multiple connected clients was part of that. I hope I don't get a text. :ohdear:

I think it's great that they can place a "monthly" cap on you that you can blow through in just a few hours.

Oh well, if I lose my 3GB "unlimited", the worst-case scenario is that I drop to a different 3GB plan that costs the same thing.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

I think I just did my biggest one-day download session over 3G with AT&T since I signed up with them in 2009. MyWi with multiple connected clients was part of that. I hope I don't get a text. :ohdear:

I think it's great that they can place a "monthly" cap on you that you can blow through in just a few hours.

Oh well, if I lose my 3GB "unlimited", the worst-case scenario is that I drop to a different 3GB plan that costs the same thing.

I average 7gbs a month without tethering and have for ages. I think you'll be ok.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

bazaar apparatus posted:

They have Avenir for bytafont, I've used it. Avenir light is really nice too.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

HorseDickSandwich posted:

They have Avenir for bytafont, I've used it. Avenir light is really nice too.

Well, the way I heard it, you have to use some kind of questionable repo to get access to it on Bytafont. That's all I know and I don't really plan on researching it any further than that.

I'm sure they'll just add it someday.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Wolf on Air posted:

Any tethering implementation is just forwarding your traffic, it's trivial to snoop around in your http queries and see your useragent be Chrome or Firefox or whatever, and there's nothing that's going to stop this sort of traffic analysis other than VPNing everything using some protocol the phone also supports.

I don't think this is true for PDAnet. Using PDAnet level 2 hiding it forces whatever device you're tethering to to change user agent to mobile safari and I'm fairly sure it does some TTL trickery which was supposedly one of the main ways they caught you. I've been using it for months and so far so good. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Denim Dude posted:

I don't think this is true for PDAnet. Using PDAnet level 2 hiding it forces whatever device you're tethering to to change user agent to mobile safari and I'm fairly sure it does some TTL trickery which was supposedly one of the main ways they caught you. I've been using it for months and so far so good. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you log into Steam with it? I'm not planning to play online, but having access to my friends list would be great.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Can you log into Steam with it? I'm not planning to play online, but having access to my friends list would be great.

Steam has an iOS app now, btw. It's pretty good too, surprisingly.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

decypher posted:

Steam has an iOS app now, btw. It's pretty good too, surprisingly.

Yeah, I have it, but for various reasons I'd prefer to use the full fledged Steam client.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Bunk Rogers posted:

I average 7gbs a month without tethering and have for ages. I think you'll be ok.

what on earth are you doing that you're using 7gb a month?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I've been around 4gb a month but that was with spotify streaming everything.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Probably streaming video.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
There is a new iPhone downgrade/unlock for 3GS' which have different NOR chips. I tried this on my 3GS and it worked great - now unlocked using Ultrasn0w. Check it out at http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

quote:

Baseband Freedom

Happy 4th of July! Today’s release of redsn0w 0.9.14b2 improves the iPad baseband downgrade and should cover anyone who couldn’t downgrade with 0.9.14b1. This version covers 3 different types of NOR chips in the iPhone 3G and 3GS (the earlier version covered only the most prevalent NOR chip). We’ve also simplified the process and added logging to help diagnose any remaining stubborn iPhones.

The revised steps are:

Connect your iPhone in normal mode, then click “Jailbreak” after redsn0w identifies its model and BB version (you needn’t pre-select the IPSW anymore).
Choose the “Downgrade from iPad baseband” option (you needn’t worry about de-selecting Cydia anymore).
Do a controlled “slide to power off” shutdown of your phone and proceed through the normal DFU ramdisk steps.

Should the downgrade fail to take, feel free to leave the redsn0w log in the comments below. Use the “Extras->Even more->Backup” button to grab a copy of /var/mobile/Media/redsn0w_logs, then extract the log text file(s) from the zip and paste them into the comments (currently that log file is generated only during baseband downgrade runs).

NOTE: The original warning about 3GS units manufactured in early 2011 or later still holds! They have a NOR chip that’s incompatible with 06.15.00 and so trying to install it will brick the device. Please read and re-read the warning in our earlier post.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

bazaar apparatus posted:

Well, the way I heard it, you have to use some kind of questionable repo to get access to it on Bytafont. That's all I know and I don't really plan on researching it any further than that.

I'm sure they'll just add it someday.

I know for a fact Avenir Light isn't shady at all, and it's really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Spotify and Waze. I used to average less when all I did was play WoW through my phones connection.

• Locked thread