Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

$10k to do what they are setting out to do is in no way reasonable. $8 a day in expenses (total) for the two hosts + however many crew? And this is projecting forward two years? Come on...this budget won't last a month let alone 18-24. $6,000 to edit + market + distribute? Is this guerilla marketing for something else?

Nope, as far as I know they're planning on taking advantage of hitchiking and local people they know. Not too many crew, and in South America if you're eating local then 8 bucks a day is totally reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OmNom posted:

Though it isn't exactly art related, I launched my food campaign 15 days ago. I would love some feedback that might help me draw in more funders. This money would make it so much easier to actually launch the new line effectively. Take a look at what I have and let me know what I can do better.

In the first 15 seconds you disparage IT workers, athletes, and doctors. You literally say people become doctors to get rich, but you make cookies "to help people". It takes over 60 seconds for you to get to what it actually is you're making (vegan cookies), and we never actually get to see the cookies in any appreciable size.

You also never talk about the product itself. What kinds of cookies are you making? How are they different from the ones already available in every grocery store everywhere? Doing a quick search on Walmart shows 78 matches for gluten-free cookies and 33 matches for vegan cookies. How much will they cost?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TraderStav posted:

Hey guys, do you like Zombies? Do you also like terrifying and immersive experiences? Well, I am involved with a very bold Indiegogo campaign that I am sure will excite your senses. This is not a movie, nor a game, this is an actual REAL ZOMBIE AMUSEMENT PARK.

Ugh.

Do you have any experience with ANY of the aspects of this business? Have you ever run an amusement park? Have you ever run a combat LARP? Have you walked through a single one of these buildings with an inspector and gone, "Hey, so what would we have to do to make this safe enough for an indeterminate number of people to run around in very quickly and probably sleep in?" I would be shocked if it cost less than $200k just to set up and insure your parking lot.

I played NERO and similar combat LARPs for a decade, and even getting together 50 people to swing foam swords at each other at a campsite is a logistical and insurance nightmare. We had small one story cabins safe enough for boyscouts to use, and people got hurt very often. You're talking about residential and industrial ruins and stairwells and people running around at night. Are you high?

Plus enjoy the super awesome situation when someone's girlfriend gets turned into a zombie and she gets separated from her boyfriend and has to go join 30 strange men for the rest of the night.

This is hands down the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen. If you're out of highschool I don't know how this isn't ringing massive alarm bells in your head. Everyone has had this idea or a version of it. It doesn't exist for a very good reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Ugh.

Do you have any experience with ANY of the aspects of this business? Have you ever run an amusement park? Have you ever run a combat LARP? Have you walked through a single one of these buildings with an inspector and gone, "Hey, so what would we have to do to make this safe enough for an indeterminate number of people to run around in very quickly and probably sleep in?" I would be shocked if it cost less than $200k just to set up and insure your parking lot.

I played NERO and similar combat LARPs for a decade, and even getting together 50 people to swing foam swords at each other at a campsite is a logistical and insurance nightmare. We had small one story cabins safe enough for boyscouts to use, and people got hurt very often. You're talking about residential and industrial ruins and stairwells and people running around at night. Are you high?

Plus enjoy the super awesome situation when someone's girlfriend gets turned into a zombie and she gets separated from her boyfriend and has to go join 30 strange men for the rest of the night.

This is hands down the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen. If you're out of highschool I don't know how this isn't ringing massive alarm bells in your head. Everyone has had this idea or a version of it. It doesn't exist for a very good reason.

This is all very true, it's very hard and we shouldn't even bother.

If you would decide to read - it is quite clear that $145K does not get this set up. It goes into figuring out what needs to be done to make it viable. What needs to be torn down, fixed, etc. Obviously, you need to attact real money to get this thing going. You aren't opening an amusement park on an indiegogo fundraiser.

And as if there wouldn't be safe zones, marshalls/security and places for people to opt out. Again, people want the illusion of danger... The key is to do it right and professional - but it looks like it is dangerous.

My man lacks the 'vision' - of course this is hard, but that doesn't mean you don't try.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

In the first 15 seconds you disparage IT workers, athletes, and doctors. You literally say people become doctors to get rich, but you make cookies "to help people". It takes over 60 seconds for you to get to what it actually is you're making (vegan cookies), and we never actually get to see the cookies in any appreciable size.

You also never talk about the product itself. What kinds of cookies are you making? How are they different from the ones already available in every grocery store everywhere? Doing a quick search on Walmart shows 78 matches for gluten-free cookies and 33 matches for vegan cookies. How much will they cost?

In my update videos I put more of that info, I'll switch the vids around and get to the point faster. It didn't sound disparaging to me, but now that I stepped back a bit, yeah, it kind of is.

This video should have a more informative bent to it. Thoughts? And thanks for the feedback.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

TraderStav posted:

Hey guys, do you like Zombies? Do you also like terrifying and immersive experiences? Well, I am involved with a very bold Indiegogo campaign that I am sure will excite your senses. This is not a movie, nor a game, this is an actual REAL ZOMBIE AMUSEMENT PARK.

I hope you succeed, dude. I hope you make the most thrilling and successful zombie experience themepark ever. And you've got a ready-made post-apocalyptic urban landscape to work with. And god knows Detroit could use jobs and revenue.

I just don't see this ever working out. You're running a very expensive LARP campground, and to my knowledge, those don't make money hand over fist. And they don't have the sort of building maintenance you're going to incur.

This isn't a thing you can bring the kids to. I'm sure you'd get a lot of business your first few years, and around halloween, but I don't see this being sustainable.
What about repeat customers? How will you keep things mixed up enough people want to come back? Are you really going to have enough space for people to run?

edit: Not even touching on the liability issues.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 23, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

This is all very true, it's very hard and we shouldn't even bother.

If you would decide to read - it is quite clear that $145K does not get this set up. It goes into figuring out what needs to be done to make it viable. What needs to be torn down, fixed, etc. Obviously, you need to attact real money to get this thing going. You aren't opening an amusement park on an indiegogo fundraiser.

And as if there wouldn't be safe zones, marshalls/security and places for people to opt out. Again, people want the illusion of danger... The key is to do it right and professional - but it looks like it is dangerous.

My man lacks the 'vision' - of course this is hard, but that doesn't mean you don't try.

Ever watch Shark Tank? There's a big difference between a hard idea and an insane idea.

A Murder Mystery Dinner type situation with zombies? Hard but possible. It would have to be partially choreographed, have a large number of trained employees to give a siege vibe and take place in a small area but it's possible.

A 200 acre "theme park" in actual ruins with volunteers/customers playing the zombies? That is the most retarded loving idea I've heard in a long time. You don't need 145K to figure that out.

There's no way to make that safe. There's no way to get random people to behave exactly the way they would need to. But ignoring all that, it would take tens of millions of dollars to set up and even if you got it going (you won't), it would bomb hard. Who wants to take a vacation to Detroit?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 22, 2012

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Sporadic posted:

Who wants to take a vacation to Detroit?
Well, you make Detroit a stopover on the way to a better destination (and they are really trying to push the whole "We're not just Detroit! The rest of the state is pretty cool!"), or promote the other attractions in the area (The Henry Ford for those interested in life in turn of the century America or people interested in the industrial revolution, for example).

BUT if it can be done in a safe way, it could be good. Even if it's a "Let's go to Z World!" in to Detroit and out without staying anywhere near the area, it could help the economy.

I am thinking less than 200 acres for the run everywhere area. Hell, you know what? What do you think of when you think zombies? Survival and guns come first to me, so why not exploit that? Themed zombie survivalist training! There are many people who have never fired a gun before and probably never will otherwise, so set up an indoor gun range there with zombie targets that move towards you and give them the opportunity to fire a gun for the first and only time in their lives under the watchful gaze of range instructors.

Oh god, I can see a whole Disney-like themed park. Rides, food, kids area, other attractions, singing zombie animatronics.

Pretty much no matter how this pans out, every structure in the area will have to be leveled and rebuilt. Every manhole cover bolted down and locked down. Make buildings LOOK decrepit but they are actually sturdy as hell.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OmNom posted:

This video should have a more informative bent to it. Thoughts? And thanks for the feedback.

Personally I think this video is better. It shows the products, explains the hole in the market that they fill, explains why you need the money, etc. Any reason you're not putting this on Kickstarter?

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Personally I think this video is better. It shows the products, explains the hole in the market that they fill, explains why you need the money, etc. Any reason you're not putting this on Kickstarter?

The flexible funding option is a big draw, since I don't need every penny to make my goal, it will allow me to bring in enough capital to fund most of the project. Kickstarter might have been a better option, but the all or nothing is a bit of a turn off.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Zombieland project was brought up in the Games forum thread, and I had some comments on it in there:

Ambitious, and if you read their post, it covers three things: Finding a potential site, preliminary design work for the potential site, and playtesting. It doesn't involve any purchasing or construction. And they want $145,000 for that.
It appears they're depending on outside investors for the actual expenses, and I suspect anyone capable of footing that bill is going to be wary about the zombie craze dying off before they see a return.

Plus, why buy a rotting piece of Detroit? It might be cheap, but to turn it into a theme park, you'll have to basically tear down and rebuild or fully renovate the entire site to make it safe. Why not just buy some worthless scrub somewhere and build a fake post-apocalyptic town from the ground up? Plus, in Detroit, you've got really variable weather; will the entire place close down for half a year because no one wants to freeze their rear end off hiding or shuffling around in the middle of January?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Goddam I'm nervous as hell. Kickstarter project is launched!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800673987/the-protester

Of course any support is immensely appreciated. In the meantime I'll be working on getting the right equipment to actually film a video.

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 25, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Your stuff is incredible! If I had a cool $3500 I would fund this immediately and get a badass liger or something painted!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
hey guys. i am rap artist satellite high and i have a digital-only label called "the everything but rap & country recording company"

i'd like to start releasing tapes (w/ download codes of course) so that i have an excuse to make cool artwork and produce tangible objects but i need to actually acquire a tape deck and all of that

so i'm raising a small amount of money on indiegogo to attempt to cover costs. the minimum donation tier is 10 bucks and includes the latest satellite high ep on casette so it's pretty reasonable

also i'm doing this no matter what so if you donate you WILL get a tape, i'm just hoping i can crowd-source upfront costs and avoid eating ramen for a month

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/146759?a=782959

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Your stuff is incredible! If I had a cool $3500 I would fund this immediately and get a badass liger or something painted!

You know, this is exactly what somebody did. :monocle:

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

eggyolk posted:

You know, this is exactly what somebody did. :monocle:

Congrats! :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Guesticles posted:

I hope you succeed, dude. I hope you make the most thrilling and successful zombie experience themepark ever. And you've got a ready-made post-apocalyptic urban landscape to work with. And god knows Detroit could use jobs and revenue.

I just don't see this ever working out. You're running a very expensive LARP campground, and to my knowledge, those don't make money hand over fist. And they don't have the sort of building maintenance you're going to incur.

This isn't a thing you can bring the kids to. I'm sure you'd get a lot of business your first few years, and around halloween, but I don't see this being sustainable.
What about repeat customers? How will you keep things mixed up enough people want to come back? Are you really going to have enough space for people to run?

edit: Not even touching on the liability issues.

Sporadic posted:

Ever watch Shark Tank? There's a big difference between a hard idea and an insane idea.

A Murder Mystery Dinner type situation with zombies? Hard but possible. It would have to be partially choreographed, have a large number of trained employees to give a siege vibe and take place in a small area but it's possible.

A 200 acre "theme park" in actual ruins with volunteers/customers playing the zombies? That is the most retarded loving idea I've heard in a long time. You don't need 145K to figure that out.

There's no way to make that safe. There's no way to get random people to behave exactly the way they would need to. But ignoring all that, it would take tens of millions of dollars to set up and even if you got it going (you won't), it would bomb hard. Who wants to take a vacation to Detroit?

Fire Storm posted:

Well, you make Detroit a stopover on the way to a better destination (and they are really trying to push the whole "We're not just Detroit! The rest of the state is pretty cool!"), or promote the other attractions in the area (The Henry Ford for those interested in life in turn of the century America or people interested in the industrial revolution, for example).

BUT if it can be done in a safe way, it could be good. Even if it's a "Let's go to Z World!" in to Detroit and out without staying anywhere near the area, it could help the economy.

I am thinking less than 200 acres for the run everywhere area. Hell, you know what? What do you think of when you think zombies? Survival and guns come first to me, so why not exploit that? Themed zombie survivalist training! There are many people who have never fired a gun before and probably never will otherwise, so set up an indoor gun range there with zombie targets that move towards you and give them the opportunity to fire a gun for the first and only time in their lives under the watchful gaze of range instructors.

Oh god, I can see a whole Disney-like themed park. Rides, food, kids area, other attractions, singing zombie animatronics.

Pretty much no matter how this pans out, every structure in the area will have to be leveled and rebuilt. Every manhole cover bolted down and locked down. Make buildings LOOK decrepit but they are actually sturdy as hell.

Pyroclastic posted:

The Zombieland project was brought up in the Games forum thread, and I had some comments on it in there:

Ambitious, and if you read their post, it covers three things: Finding a potential site, preliminary design work for the potential site, and playtesting. It doesn't involve any purchasing or construction. And they want $145,000 for that.
It appears they're depending on outside investors for the actual expenses, and I suspect anyone capable of footing that bill is going to be wary about the zombie craze dying off before they see a return.

Plus, why buy a rotting piece of Detroit? It might be cheap, but to turn it into a theme park, you'll have to basically tear down and rebuild or fully renovate the entire site to make it safe. Why not just buy some worthless scrub somewhere and build a fake post-apocalyptic town from the ground up? Plus, in Detroit, you've got really variable weather; will the entire place close down for half a year because no one wants to freeze their rear end off hiding or shuffling around in the middle of January?

Sorry it took so long for me to get back and respond to all of these posts. I appreciate all of the feedback, I really do. We've definitely been considering sustainability, because clearly at some point the interest in zombies will wane. That was actually one of the reasons we didn't put the word Zombie in the name. This thing would morph, different themes, etc. With such a large area, you can do a ton of things with it. We already have a few alternative ideas (concurrent or different seasons of the year) that we have that are freaking awesome and we're surprised no one has done them yet, unfortunately I can't disclose them yet.

If this gets big enough, there could be a mini-zone for kids. That wouldn't be an overnight thing, but the point is that this thing can be flexible as hell.

But gently caress yeah, this thing is going to be hard to pull off. That's why we need the money to figure it all out. You guys have great points, this thing will need some real money. But you have to attract the kind of money that is going to see beyond the absolute pure economics of this thing, that's where someone like Dan Gilbert comes in... It's almost like spending money to make a statement, that were going to have to try something radical with a much smaller price tag (and risk) then building some massive development, stadium, real amusement park, factory, etc.

We've previously thought about the comment about 'why not just buy some lovely land in the middle of nowhere and build a fake town'. Sure that's a possibility, but we think that gritty, nasty Detroit is really part of the attraction. That's part of what makes it cool. Having some poo poo out by Bad Axe or by Farmland isn't cool. Even having it in Flint isn't cool. People may not want to come to Detroit, but they sure as hell don't want to go to Flint. Realistically, there are some people that will never want to come here, and we can't worry about that. But if this is done right, you would get people and there are other things to do here. Besides, we have two of the five largest metropolitan areas in North America within a 4-5 hour drive (Chicago and Toronto).

Also, yes, this would be partially choreographed with a type of professional zombie corps that gets things started and keeps things on track. Again, it would SEEM like a big free for all.

Lastly, we DON'T want this to be realistic. We think that pulling anything off big and cool inherently requires you to be unrealistic. Being realistic gets you a reasonable well-paying job at a mediocre midwest Utility or a opening a watered-down overly-commercialized amusement park, it doesn't open insane zombie parks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oh, a Steve Yuen, who plays Glenn on The Walking Dead (also from Detroit area) sent out a tweet about our project. At least we got that kind of love, that's worth it right there! :allears:

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TraderStav posted:

But gently caress yeah, this thing is going to be hard to pull off. That's why we need the money to figure it all out.

You can easily figure out how unrealistic your vision is before spending a single cent, let alone $145,000 of other people's money. People in this thread have explained this in detail, for free. It's not like you need to go shopping at the Knowledge Store and membership costs six figures. Just think about your idea for a bit, use Google, and you can save everyone a lot of time and money.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You can easily figure out how unrealistic your vision is before spending a single cent, let alone $145,000 of other people's money. People in this thread have explained this in detail, for free. It's not like you need to go shopping at the Knowledge Store and membership costs six figures. Just think about your idea for a bit, use Google, and you can save everyone a lot of time and money.

I think you're being a bit pedantic, especially grabbing snippets from my post. The point I'm making is that this IS a large initiative, with its unique challenges, none of which are insurmountable. Especially not so much that a small group of internet posters should serve as all encompassing experts on the effort. What's impossible to you (ie: revolutionizing the cell phone industry) may not be to someone else who looks at it from another angle (ie: Apple).

A handful of LARPer events can not be used as evidence against a large coordinated and organized effort.

But I appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
asking for $150k for ANYTHING without a proven track record and no links to anything in your profile is categorically not a good look

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

asking for $150k for ANYTHING without a proven track record and no links to anything in your profile is categorically not a good look

That's actually a really good point, I'm going to un-ironically take a look at that.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/146759?a=782959

i just wanted to mention again that i have a project with an incredibly reasonable goal for the expressed purpose of getting more music out in the physical world, because holding a thing is cooler than downloading a file

last post got kind of buried in the b-boy zombie wars

please take a look if you don't mind, my good friends.

Freddie Gibbis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 27, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wow, lots of good press coming in, especially the comments.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2012/06/zombie-apocalypse-theme-park-will-fix-neighborhood-blight-1.php#more

http://wearemodeshift.org/zombie-world-detroits-next-boblo-island

http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2012/06/26/zombie-theme-park.php <--- LOL Fluff piece

http://www.webpronews.com/can-zombies-help-restore-detroit-to-its-former-glory-2012-06

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
has anybody pointed out that your project kinda hinges on some troublesome social issues?

and that plenty of people in detroit are trying very hard to revitalize their own city in ways that don't involve putting on costumes and chasing teenagers through abandoned buildings?

dont you think its a little presumptuous to build your entire PR campaign around the conception that your fun-time project is going to accomplish what the people of detroit can't do on their own?

dont you think its maybe a bit classist to look at a city with a history of community activism, which already possesses a large and vital activist community agitating for economic justice + equality and tell them that you're going to fix all of their problems with a loving zombie park?

dude this may or may not be a good idea (hint: it isn't) but you may want to find a way to frame the entire project that doesn't make you sound like that kony guy that ended up jerking off in a parking lot

if you wanna make a zombie funhouse or whatever just say that poo poo but you don't need to add the white savior narrative, that poo poo is just ugly

Freddie Gibbis fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 27, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

has anybody pointed out that your project kinda hinges on some troublesome social issues?

and that plenty of people in detroit are trying very hard to revitalize their own city in ways that don't involve putting on costumes and chasing teenagers through abandoned buildings?

dont you think its a little presumptuous to build your entire PR campaign around the conception that your fun-time project is going to accomplish what the people of detroit can't do on their own?

dont you think its maybe a bit classist to look at a city with a history of community activism, which already possesses a large and vital activist community agitating for economic justice + equality and tell them that you're going to fix all of their problems with a loving zombie park?

dude this may or may not be a good idea (hint: it isn't) but you may want to find a way to frame the entire project that doesn't make you sound like that kony guy that ended up jerking off in a parking lot

if you wanna make a zombie funhouse or whatever just say that poo poo but you don't need to add the white savior narrative, that poo poo is just ugly

Naw, my man, you got it wrong. We are not touting ourselves as saviors of the Detroit problem. We are merely starting a project that is going to add value to an otherwise desolate and decaying area. I'm not sure you realize the scale of the rot in Detroit. The community groups are doing a great job, and we are working WITH them on this project. But there is only so much these few groups can do in such a massive problem in both size and severity. The majority of them are focusing on revitalizing the downtown area or creating new corridors so the suburbanites can come down easier. There is not a scarcity issue when it comes to working on fixing Detroit. We make no qualms that this won't fix Detroit nor that it isn't a fun zombie adventure. But if we do nothing, this land will continue to be barren, unused, and wasted. So why not do something bold and potentially awesome?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 27, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Oh man that poo poo is going to get funded and backed by Steve Woz or some poo poo and all you stupid goons that didn't believe are going to be :smith:

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I'm not sure you realize the scale of the rot in Detroit. The community groups are doing a great job, and we are working WITH them on this project. But there is only so much these few groups can do in such a massive problem in both size and severity.

jesus loving christ, dude, i don't even know where to begin here. the very fact that you refer to the problem detroit faces as "rot" is evidence that you are part of the problem. nobody wants to hear that the world in which they have experienced life is somehow inferior to yours, let alone "barren, unused, and wasted." if you come into any community with an attitude like that, what the gently caress kind of reaction do you expect? which brings me to my next point:

TraderStav posted:

The majority of them are focusing on revitalizing the downtown area or creating new corridors so the suburbanites can come down easier.
and what do you think that your park is going to accomplish? do you think that mom and dad from holland/grand rapids/kalamazoo/lansing/whatever are going to be driving past detroit with kids in tow on their way to cedar point and think "whoa, a zombie theme park? in an actual crumbling warehouse??? count us in!!"? or is this going to be something that high schoolers from west bloomfield or college kids from ann arbor are going to enjoy on the weekends so that they can get a little bit of "edge" by spending time with zombies in the 313 (in which case you are simply creating another "corridor so the suburbanites can come down easier" anyway)?

or, most laughably at all, do you think that the residents of detroit, who have their own families, their own communities, and their own things to do are going to come down to spend their hard-earned money looking at the same crumbling concrete walls they've seen their whole lives, except this time it's somehow more fun and exciting because people are in these buildings play-acting as loving ZOMBIES?

i recently watched a video (which unfortunately i can't find at the moment) in which a bunch of giggling twenty-somethings from seattle or austin or some other bullshit liberal enclave like that talked into a camera about how they were moving to detroit to build yet another loving coffeeshop to save souls for jesus christ. it was clear that they didn't understand a single thing about the history of the city, the state, or the race/class tensions endemic to the history of midwest industry. your mission might be to entertain idiots rather than save souls, but the point remains the same. YOU ARE THESE PEOPLE. NOBODY WANTS YOU IN DETROIT. GET THE gently caress OUT.

just go to williamsburg or something where your bullshit will be entertained by equally naive white people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Police Academy 6 posted:

jesus loving christ, dude, i don't even know where to begin here. the very fact that you refer to the problem detroit faces as "rot" is evidence that you are part of the problem. nobody wants to hear that the world in which they have experienced life is somehow inferior to yours, let alone "barren, unused, and wasted." if you come into any community with an attitude like that, what the gently caress kind of reaction do you expect? which brings me to my next point:

and what do you think that your park is going to accomplish? do you think that mom and dad from holland/grand rapids/kalamazoo/lansing/whatever are going to be driving past detroit with kids in tow on their way to cedar point and think "whoa, a zombie theme park? in an actual crumbling warehouse??? count us in!!"? or is this going to be something that high schoolers from west bloomfield or college kids from ann arbor are going to enjoy on the weekends so that they can get a little bit of "edge" by spending time with zombies in the 313 (in which case you are simply creating another "corridor so the suburbanites can come down easier" anyway)?

or, most laughably at all, do you think that the residents of detroit, who have their own families, their own communities, and their own things to do are going to come down to spend their hard-earned money looking at the same crumbling concrete walls they've seen their whole lives, except this time it's somehow more fun and exciting because people are in these buildings play-acting as loving ZOMBIES?

i recently watched a video (which unfortunately i can't find at the moment) in which a bunch of giggling twenty-somethings from seattle or austin or some other bullshit liberal enclave like that talked into a camera about how they were moving to detroit to build yet another loving coffeeshop to save souls for jesus christ. it was clear that they didn't understand a single thing about the history of the city, the state, or the race/class tensions endemic to the history of midwest industry. your mission might be to entertain idiots rather than save souls, but the point remains the same. YOU ARE THESE PEOPLE. NOBODY WANTS YOU IN DETROIT. GET THE gently caress OUT.

just go to williamsburg or something where your bullshit will be entertained by equally naive white people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Welp, I don't think we are going to see eye to eye. I'm attempting to bring up rational and sincere points and you keep bringing inaccurate and sensationalist conclusions. No one on this team is under 30, some are over 40, and all of us are very tied to the CITY of Detroit, not merely the suburbs.

I appreciate your interest, thank you.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
PS: Your idea is dumb and offensive.

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think
I suggest rereading these articles.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Not only is it dumb, it doesn't sound fun or interesting. You're hoping to get a consistently sizable crowd that wants to run around vacant buildings and play tag. That sounds like something you'd get a group of middle schoolers hooked into for free after school, but you expect adults will regularly visit and keep this place up and running? Come on. You seem fairly delusional about all this from my perspective.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 29, 2012

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Welp, I don't think we are going to see eye to eye. I'm attempting to bring up rational and sincere points and you keep bringing inaccurate and sensationalist conclusions. No one on this team is under 30, some are over 40, and all of us are very tied to the CITY of Detroit, not merely the suburbs.

I appreciate your interest, thank you.

I don't think you could have more comprehensively missed the point. I don't know how old you are or where you're from. You could be 90 years old and have lived in the city of Detroit all your life and your idea would still be bad. I brought up the video (which by the way can be found here) as an example of when people fail to understand the actual needs of a community. They think they're going to create an art epicenter. You think you're going to create an amusement epicenter. Do you see the connection?

Let me rephrase things in a less sarcastic manner from my previous post. The entire narrative of your pitch is that this park will provide some sort of a unique value to the city, and that in doing so, it will play a small part in the re-emergence of Detroit as a cultural and economic powerhouse. But I have yet to see one solid reason as to why it would provide any sort of benefit to the city or community other than that it sounds fun/cool to you.

Indeed, you say that you are interested in it being in Detroit "because gritty, nasty Detroit is really part of the attraction." In other words, the idea is to provide a safe environment for non-Detroiters in the midst of perceived danger. But aren't there people right now who live in Detroit in legitimately dangerous circumstances who might better benefit from something else? The kicker here is that you've asked for $135,000. That is a lot of money, especially for Detroit. That's enough to buy at least five houses and refurbish them. Or open a business, or two, or three, that provide some sort of services and steady jobs to people in the area. But you're looking to pour all of that money into consulting for an idea that will get you laughed out of the office of any event or park planner who is not on crack.

Your mentality is based in privilege and a failure to understand what makes urban development happen. You think that what entertains yourself and people like you will naturally appeal to everyone else. It doesn't. If you want to throw your own money away trying to pursue this idea, loving go for it. But once you started asking for other people's money, you crossed the line, and that is why you have been roundly excoriated both here and elsewhere.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Edit: I am a moron. My apologies TraderStav.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 29, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I thought that was an option on IndieGoGo...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I don't think it was a mistake that he set up a six figure project on Indiegogo.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filter_quick=most_funded&pbigg_id=1

Unless you're raising money to fight cancer, are an internet/real celebrity, or are selling a 3D printer, you won't raise six figures on Indiegogo. But hey, at least he gets to keep all the money he raises with no oversight or accountability. So that's nice.

Or maybe he's typing up the huge effortpost where he lays out in detail his experience in the industry, his business plan, his team of experts, where he came up with $145,000 to "figure this out", blah blah blah.

All or nothing, if the target isn't reached, the money will be returned.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
Yeah, he's got his project set to 'fixed funding', it may be a silly idea but it's not a scam.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
If this discussion is to continue please make a new thread for it.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I have a new Kickstarter project that's just been launched. It's for a book titled So Bad, It's Good!

It's a book that's all about the joy of watching terrible movies, from well-known examples like Plan 9 and The Room to a host of lesser-known films from a wide range of genres. The book is currently in the process of being written, and while I have a tentative list of nearly 100 film that could make the book, I'm promoting the book has having at least 50 in there - so you're guaranteed to have plenty of bad films in there, and most people should find at least a few new picks that they haven't run into before.

I'm not looking for a ton of money for the project - just enough to make a decent self-published paperback through CreateSpace. As such, the funding goal is a modest $1,500. If I exceed that amount, I plan to improve the final product with more thorough professional editing, better production quality, and so forth.

One other cool thing, if you're into watching people who review stuff on the internet: Allison Pregler (Obscurus Lupa) of That Guy with the Glasses is writing the foreword for the book, and is also contributing a bonus chapter that's available exclusively as a reward for backing the project.

If anyone has any questions about the book, I'm happy to answer them! Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to support the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Thought I might let everyone know. I've hit goal on my Kickstarter and as such set a new minimum pledge. $1 gets your name on the back of the canvas. I would love to have this piece littered by backers, even with the most minimal pledges of support. This painting is going to be utterly amazing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800673987/the-protester