Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Thoguh posted:

As in "lose 5-10 pounds to look better at the beach" or "lose 10 pounds for a weigh in". These are very different things.

I just want to look like a UFC guy

Ligur posted:

niethan's right, if you are cutting (as I'm not) just, for example, drop all/most carbs for 6-7 days, which takes care of eating less but still hopefully won't reduce your muscle mass THAT much (15% is pretty much optimum) at the same time, drink a lot of water (add something like 2-3 liters to your regular daily dosage - it washes out the salts which in turn tie water) and stop drinking so much water 2 days before you make weight. Before weighing just hit the sauna or do sweaty cardio for 2-3 hours unless you are not where you want to be already.

That's 10lbs off your weight right there I'm telling you.

OK.. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

My MT instructor was saying that you never want to do shin hardening (hitting your shins with a stick) or rolling poo poo over them. That it "flattens" the shin bone and you want it to be sharp. And pretty much all you need is more heavy bag work.

I must say I haven't been training that long and I don't wince from hard kicks anymore like I used to. Granted I'm not checking kicks without shin pads.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you want to lose fat, go over to watch and weight and read around . What we're describing is how to temporarily lose weight, mostly water, to make a weight class. You cannot live with the diet and hydration people use for the end of their cuts.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Christoff posted:

My MT instructor was saying that you never want to do shin hardening (hitting your shins with a stick) or rolling poo poo over them. That it "flattens" the shin bone and you want it to be sharp. And pretty much all you need is more heavy bag work.

Wasn't this the exact advice given to you last month in this very thread?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

If you want to lose fat, go over to watch and weight and read around . What we're describing is how to temporarily lose weight, mostly water, to make a weight class. You cannot live with the diet and hydration people use for the end of their cuts.

I have a log.. my first amateur boxing match is coming up, my gym is going to ringside world tournament in Kansas City. I just ate too much over the canada day weekend and scared myself by stepping on the scale at 165 when I'm trying to cut to the 152 weight class. I think I'm about 160 and my scale at home shows me at under 160 when I weigh myself in the morning. I might need a new scale but I'm going to restrict my diet for now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mewse posted:

I have a log.. my first amateur boxing match is coming up, my gym is going to ringside world tournament in Kansas City. I just ate too much over the canada day weekend and scared myself by stepping on the scale at 165 when I'm trying to cut to the 152 weight class. I think I'm about 160 and my scale at home shows me at under 160 when I weigh myself in the morning. I might need a new scale but I'm going to restrict my diet for now.

Is the scale at your gym certified? Because if so I'd trust that a lot more than a bathroom scale from home.

Also, being 160 naked first thing in the morning and then being 165 in shorts at the end of the afternoon sounds perfectly normal and expected.

Are your weigh ins the day before, or morning of the competition?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 6, 2012

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So I've been taking muay thai classes for several months now and really enjoying them. However, I've recently moved, and my gym is now incredibly inconvenient for me to get to- the round trip is over an hour. After a lot of research, I just found a gym located a few blocks from my office, in my price range, seems very welcoming to women and beginners while still being tough, etc... but it's a boxing gym, not a muay thai gym.

I plan to take a month's trial period and see if I like this place, but I'm wondering how different it will be. Like, will the punches be essentially the same, or will I be starting from scratch? Any other differences I may not be thinking about? Has anyone else done both muay thai and boxing?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

At least I know I'm not crazy and being some stuck up dick for not wanting to share my gloves ( even though I do on occasion anyway ) though, thanks!

Yeah not at all, I'd rather share a cup than share gloves. Ick.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

showbiz_liz posted:

Like, will the punches be essentially the same, or will I be starting from scratch? Any other differences I may not be thinking about? Has anyone else done both muay thai and boxing?

The range is different, and since you only need to defend above the waist, the punching and defense is more nuanced. Having taken MT for several months should put you in a good spot fitness and technique wise. You'll probably have to rework your stance some.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Christoff posted:

I must say I haven't been training that long and I don't wince from hard kicks anymore like I used to. Granted I'm not checking kicks without shin pads.

I recently discoverd my right shin has a broad patch over the bone where hair just does not grow anymore.

What the hell?

mewse
May 2, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Has anyone else done both muay thai and boxing?

Boxing is amazing and we have a ton of kickboxers train at our boxing gym. As someone else mentioned you're going to have a head start on your conditioning. The differences in the punches seem really nuanced, I don't know what the heck, I just see our coaches yelling at the kickboxers occasionally -- I'm guessing they probably don't keep as tight a guard to protect their noggin, since they have to check kicks and stuff.

Anyway, go for it!!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Sandbag training trip report :

Just had my first real try at sandbad training. I filled an army duffel bag with approximately 70 pounds of rubber mulch. The bag is about 3/4 full so there's a lot of give and movement to be had in the bag. Since it was the first time I did trained in a very "free" way and didn't follow a routine exactly. I basically did rounds of 2 to 4 minutes that were alternating of 10 reps of whatever exercises I felt like doing (throws, squats, lunges, that pendulum movement people do with kettlebells, olympic lifts, rows, pull-ups) and sprints and other stuff like that. This thing killed me. It's awesome in a very painful way. I feel like this will be very good for my conditioning, my core strength and my grip. Highly recommend everyone to try this. Overall it cost me about 30$ to make the whole thing and it feels very durable.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

Just to add to this, honestly to drop from 160/165 to 152 just try a week of eating only chicken breast, cottage cheese, green poo poo and other vegetables (red onions, olives, tomatoes, cucumber etc.) and drinking water. If you can add walking and other activities like taking the stairs instead of the lift, little things like that, do it, even if you train regularly but are otherwise passive, just adding more movement to your daily routines can burn 500 more calories a day, it's amazing really. Drop salt/sugar/alcohol/bread/pasta etc. completely.

I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised positively! You will feel weird or even like poo poo when training as your body starts to burn protein for fuel for the lack of carbs but it's temporary: an evening or two of eating plates of pasta will make you feel normal and as explosive as before.

The W&W people know a lot more about this poo poo than I do of course.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

You'd be surprised. The #1 poster to the general advice thread for a long time was a guy named mobn

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ligur posted:

W&W freaks the gently caress out at the notion that calories can be burned, but other than that it looks pretty much in line with what they advocate.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Stealing Thoguh's thunder with the 52kg womens judo preview.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

The range is different, and since you only need to defend above the waist, the punching and defense is more nuanced. Having taken MT for several months should put you in a good spot fitness and technique wise. You'll probably have to rework your stance some.

This was the first thing I learned when striking in MT, I used to box years ago and the stance is a little different as is the range. Took a little while to "unlearn" natural inclinations to lean into crosses, stuff like that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you're doing the traditional MT tactic of having little weight on your front foot and stalking upright around the ring, you're gonna get jabbed, circled, and turned to death.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

CaptainScraps posted:

I recently discoverd my right shin has a broad patch over the bone where hair just does not grow anymore.

What the hell?

Yeah it's pretty cool huh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Stealing Thoguh's thunder with the 52kg womens judo preview.

drat you and your living in a timezone much closer to that of the IJF headquarters.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 6, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I doubt a guy that did muay thai for a few months will have 1) any tendencies worse than your typical boxing beginner and 2) deeply ingrained tendencies at all.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Cross post from PSP

http://youtu.be/ZZnTTugYMmQ

What are peoples thoughts on this fight? The fighter who won the first round claims she was robbed of the second, I gave it to the other fighter and called it a 19/19 after round 2, so did all the other judges, ring side Dr and members of the audience.

It then went to a 3rd round which the winner of the first round didn't know about (hence the push ups at the end of the second) which result was pretty clear cut. So I am more concerned with peoples opinions on the first 2 rounds.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
19/19 is more than fair really considering the grappler did no damage to speak of even though she spent a lot of time controlling top position.

willie_dee posted:

I gave the first to one and the second to the other, and so did everyone else.
Agreed.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 6, 2012

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Nierbo posted:

19/19 is more than fair really considering the grappler did no damage to speak of even though she spent a lot of time controlling top position.

Yea, I can't see the first being a 10-8, I think the contention is more, who won the second? Baring in mind the scoring is done on a round by round basis, so you have to take each individual round by itself. I gave the first to one and the second to the other, and so did everyone else.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

I doubt a guy that did muay thai for a few months will have 1) any tendencies worse than your typical boxing beginner and 2) deeply ingrained tendencies at all.

Well if they're on a decent sparring regimen, they might lift their front leg a lot in response to opponents closing the distance.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nierbo posted:

Agreed.

Isn't half guard considered a neutral position for scoring purposes?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

If you're doing the traditional MT tactic of having little weight on your front foot and stalking upright around the ring, you're gonna get jabbed, circled, and turned to death.

Hahaaaa so true. A few months probably would not have done it to anyone but who knows if they had really convincing instructors.

These days I have two stances, the one where people throw kicks, and the much tighter and lower one (kinda reminiscent of peek-a-boo!) for getting punched at.

It's, like, black and white in terms of how much you can get hit even with such small changes, completely against what I thought at first which was "nahh they aren't that different just ignore leg kicks and you can keep more or less the same stance" but boy oh boy that is not the case at all and I had to get tagged by better boxers a lot to really understand this thing.

edit: and then there's this thing where people will have their own good and bad qualities which tremendously changes their posture. You just have to get down to it, get hit or kicked, and find out yours. Simulation will never work it through.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Well if they're on a decent sparring regimen, they might lift their front leg a lot in response to opponents closing the distance.
Well maybe, but that would make him a complete idiot who's better off trying another hobby (maybe that's too harsh, but let's say if he keeps doing that after 1 or 2 sessions). I'd say its a lot more likely that he'll just stand too square and will have trouble covering distance & using angles with his footwork...all are things every beginner at his boxing gym will struggle with.

Paul Pot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 6, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Last night at BJJ, I hosed up a sweep and dropped my 130kg training partner right on my head. I have an awesome black eye right in time for my girlfriend's family event on Sunday :)

Also, smashed my knees again and had to stop after an hour and a quarter. The coach kind of yelled at me for not stopping earlier, which I wanted to do, but it's hard to stop early without feeling like a wimp.

Also, kneepads helped a fair bit - I was hurting a little but not too bad until I landed directly on one knee. I have to figure out how to stop doing that.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
overtraining talk:

I've been at it 3-4hrs a day (2hr sparring) for the last 9-10 days and I'm pretty much walking around in a constant mental fog. My body is sore, sure, but it's my mind that feels too slow to cut it in everyday situations like normal conversation and driving.

I honestly feel like a stupid drunk and not a happy one. Is there something I can add to my diet to help counteract the effects of all the training/hitting/being hit and the late nights doing so?

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Fontoyn posted:

overtraining talk:

I've been at it 3-4hrs a day (2hr sparring) for the last 9-10 days and I'm pretty much walking around in a constant mental fog. My body is sore, sure, but it's my mind that feels too slow to cut it in everyday situations like normal conversation and driving.

I honestly feel like a stupid drunk and not a happy one. Is there something I can add to my diet to help counteract the effects of all the training/hitting/being hit and the late nights doing so?

Uhh, add sleep? Take a break? You'll wreck yourself, assuming you're not an elite professional athlete on a scientific training/living regime.

Edit: going from kickboxing to straight up boxing is really tough. My range was all hosed because he was slightly taller but I couldn't kick like I normally would. Definitely improved my head movement though, but my nose is sore today.

gregarious Ted fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 7, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

overtraining talk:

I started taking Glutamine which anecdotally seems to help, but really you probably need to slow down. I've cut it back to 2.5 hours per day with at least one day off a week.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

overtraining talk:

How much sleep are you getting? If you are training that much you need to have a really, really, really good diet and a lot of sleep every night.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Smegmatron posted:

Isn't half guard considered a neutral position for scoring purposes?

Yeah, but I don't think judges really score punches from the bottom, so all the little pitter patter punches the person on top lands wins them the round usually. Well from what I've seen anyway.

e: grammar sucks

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 7, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

How much sleep are you getting? If you are training that much you need to have a really, really, really good diet and a lot of sleep every night.

6-8 hours. My diet's really in check, I mean, I've got so little time to eat that I end up with all the staples because they're easy to prep.

But yeah, it's the sleep. I'll touch up on my sleep.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
How old are you, btw? If you're much past 20 you might just not have the recovery ability to sustain that volume for very long.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Oh god, went back to BJJ today after about 1 month and a half off of all sport ( I started weightlifting again last week but that's all ). I projectile vomited like never before it was amazing in a very weird way. I can't believe how fast you lose conditioning!

Fontoyn posted:

6-8 hours. My diet's really in check, I mean, I've got so little time to eat that I end up with all the staples because they're easy to prep.

If you're really both sleeping a lot and eating a lot, then you're probably over training. Cut back and slowly add more and more training to see if it works for you, but don,t force it. You'll end up in a car crash and that's not awesome.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 7, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
-73kg Men's Olympic Preview is up

Personally I think the middleweights are the most exciting to watch usually.

Edit: Looks like they also uploaded the -100kg Men, +100kg Men, and -81kg Men and forgot to have the urls hidden. Somebody at IJF headquarters is loosing Youtube privileges.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 7, 2012

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Fontoyn posted:

Last conference I was at there was a presenter talking about how elite athletes (or those who train like it) should be getting ten hours of sleep a night or with naps throughout the day. I started to push the idea with my guys and anecdotally saw an improvement in recovery. If you plan on continuing training like you have I would think about upping your sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Actually, looks like everything but -90kg Men got posted.

-60kg Men
-66kg Men
-73kg Men
-81kg Men
-90kg Men
-100kg Men
+100kg Men

-48kg Women
-52kg Women
-57kg Women
-63kg Women
-70kg Women