Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
That seems very odd that they would not fit. What gauge are they? I have never encountered a bass that doesn't take a .105 and below in the low E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Roto's flats and tapes are pretty loving big. I think my old Roto tapewounds were .115 at the low E, and that's pretty fuckin stout for an E string.

If he's using the Jazz Bass 77's, his E could be as large as .110.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're .115's :drat: ! These ones to be exact. They're nice to play on but yeah, fat as gently caress.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Abu Dave posted:

They're .115's :drat: ! These ones to be exact. They're nice to play on but yeah, fat as gently caress.

Oh yeah dude, not just flatwounds, tapewounds. I had those same strings on one of my P-basses, great tone. But yeah, they're loving thick.

Check your intonation and see if the saddle is causing any problems. If it is, go ahead and take it to get it adjusted/filed-out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah they're so great. Such fun to slide on too and don't kill your fingers either.

The saddle seems to be fine and not noticing anything being sharp, guess it wouldn't hurt to bring it in anyways though just to get a adjustment. Thanks for all the help guys.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah if it doesn't play/sound bad I wouldn't worry about it. You're not getting 100% OPTIMUM SUSTAIN but who cares? They're tapewounds.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Got this today for a steal off of craigslist:

Top to bottom:
B2R
V4BH
SVT 18E
not pictured: road case for V4BH + extra set of tubes

The V4BH was why I got this. I only put a half hour on it so far, but its nice being able to get some tube overdrive at reasonable volumes. Having a little issue with rattles inside, over the weekend I'll check and make sure everything's secured.

The B2R is gonna go.

I only played the 18 briefly at the seller's house and despite the size, it gets a fair amount of useable mid range. I'll have to see how it pairs with the V4BH, otherwise I don't think it will match well with my other amps since it only handles 175 watts.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I hate that I'm even thinking about this.. But I might need to sell my Marcus Miller Fender jazz 4. It's in pretty good condition, only has a few barely noticeable scratches and dings. What do you guys think I should let it go for? It was either 900 or 1000$ when I got it in 2008, now its 1,250-1,299 new. Guitar center has a used one up for 750 online, I really don't want to settle THAT low.

I haven't been keeping new strings on it, mainly because I've been playing more motown/finger funk style stuff the last year. Maybe it is more than I need in a bass, but drat.. I saved up for months to get this thing when I was in high school. I'm also afraid that I won't be able to find a affordable replacement that feels good enough to me. :smith:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Zzounds has blemished ones for $999. I just saw a used one go on eBay for around $850. Talkbass just had one for around $775 shipped.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

I'm relatively new to playing bass (little over 2 years off and on), and I've been playing with a little crate guitar amp that has been sitting around my mom and dad's house for years. I know it's the wrong tool for the job and today I was cruising around Craigslist looking for alternatives and I found this Peavey MkIII for $75. As a relative novice to amps can anyone give me any advice? I googled around a bit and it seems like people like them. I don't plan on playing with anyone in the near future, I just kinda tool around in my room.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/3085246524.html

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Destro85 posted:

I'm relatively new to playing bass (little over 2 years off and on), and I've been playing with a little crate guitar amp that has been sitting around my mom and dad's house for years. I know it's the wrong tool for the job and today I was cruising around Craigslist looking for alternatives and I found this Peavey MkIII for $75. As a relative novice to amps can anyone give me any advice? I googled around a bit and it seems like people like them. I don't plan on playing with anyone in the near future, I just kinda tool around in my room.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/3085246524.html

Peaveys in general are reliable amps and a really good choice for the money. However, it looks like he's just selling the head. You're still going to have to buy a speaker cab to go along with it. A cheap 2x10 or 1x15 should also be pretty easy to find on CL (maybe around $200 for a decent one) and should be enough power to play in most moderate volume live situations.

Sorry if this seems like obvious information to you. I just wanted to make sure you didn't go buy that head expecting to plug and play.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demon Seed posted:

I hate that I'm even thinking about this.. But I might need to sell my Marcus Miller Fender jazz 4. It's in pretty good condition, only has a few barely noticeable scratches and dings. What do you guys think I should let it go for? It was either 900 or 1000$ when I got it in 2008, now its 1,250-1,299 new. Guitar center has a used one up for 750 online, I really don't want to settle THAT low.

I haven't been keeping new strings on it, mainly because I've been playing more motown/finger funk style stuff the last year. Maybe it is more than I need in a bass, but drat.. I saved up for months to get this thing when I was in high school. I'm also afraid that I won't be able to find a affordable replacement that feels good enough to me. :smith:

Well, don't make any decisions until you find something you like. And honestly, it's not like there aren't any out there, so even if you decide you want it back, you can probably get one back for exactly what you sell it for.

You MIGHT be able to get $900-1000 out of it from a really motivated buyer who doesn't want to shop around. I think $800-850 is more realistic though.

You could possibly do a straight-up trade with someone on TalkBass, and have a stipulation that if either party isn't happy with the trade within a certain period of time, you can swap back.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Scarf posted:

Well, don't make any decisions until you find something you like. And honestly, it's not like there aren't any out there, so even if you decide you want it back, you can probably get one back for exactly what you sell it for.

You MIGHT be able to get $900-1000 out of it from a really motivated buyer who doesn't want to shop around. I think $800-850 is more realistic though.

You could possibly do a straight-up trade with someone on TalkBass, and have a stipulation that if either party isn't happy with the trade within a certain period of time, you can swap back.

I'm leaning more towards just putting it on Craigslist, and using the money to get a Squier vintage modified or a classic vibe 50's, and still have a decent amount left over for bills. I love the Marcus, but its a slap monster, and I don't ever slap anymore. I would probably trade straight up for a nice modded G&L SB-2, awesome punchy tone.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

The Bunk posted:

Peaveys in general are reliable amps and a really good choice for the money. However, it looks like he's just selling the head. You're still going to have to buy a speaker cab to go along with it. A cheap 2x10 or 1x15 should also be pretty easy to find on CL (maybe around $200 for a decent one) and should be enough power to play in most moderate volume live situations.

Sorry if this seems like obvious information to you. I just wanted to make sure you didn't go buy that head expecting to plug and play.

No that's fine, I appreciate the input. I thought it looked like just the head and the price seemed super low. Our suspicions are probably warranted, thanks!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demon Seed posted:

I'm leaning more towards just putting it on Craigslist, and using the money to get a Squier vintage modified or a classic vibe 50's, and still have a decent amount left over for bills. I love the Marcus, but its a slap monster, and I don't ever slap anymore. I would probably trade straight up for a nice modded G&L SB-2, awesome punchy tone.

coughcoughLAKLANDcoughcough

:D

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I also have a question about selling a bass, and hopefully this isn't frowned upon ITT. I've come into some hard times and been unable to find a job, so it looks like I might have to sell my dad's guitar. I hate parting with it since it's one of the last things of his I have left but I don't have much of a choice. It's a 1973 Starburst Fender Precision Bass, with all the original parts (though it's missing four screws in the front face it's undamaged) and the original case. I don't know the first thing about selling a guitar, though. Is eBay the best place? Is there a better site to use? Are there specific photos of the instrument buyers are going to want to see? Should I start bidding at a specific price?

Ugh, sorry for asking all this. This is all pretty dreadful.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Matt Cruea posted:

I also have a question about selling a bass, and hopefully this isn't frowned upon ITT. I've come into some hard times and been unable to find a job, so it looks like I might have to sell my dad's guitar. I hate parting with it since it's one of the last things of his I have left but I don't have much of a choice. It's a 1973 Starburst Fender Precision Bass, with all the original parts (though it's missing four screws in the front face it's undamaged) and the original case. I don't know the first thing about selling a guitar, though. Is eBay the best place? Is there a better site to use? Are there specific photos of the instrument buyers are going to want to see? Should I start bidding at a specific price?

Ugh, sorry for asking all this. This is all pretty dreadful.

Do you mean sunburst? I've never heard of a starburst finish.

Here's a list of things you'll want to get good pictures of, mainly to help date the bass for potential buyers:
- Headstock, particularly a close-up showing the Fender logo and where it says "Precision Bass."
- The back of the headstock, mainly just to show the tuning machines in detail.
- The neck plate on the back of the bass where the neck joins the body.
- The bridge at the bottom of the body.
- Places where the screws are missing.
- Overall shot of the bass, front and back.

You MAY be asked to take pictures of the neck heel, and bottom of the pots. Those will require you taking it apart, and will really only be necessary if someone isn't entirely sure about the date of the bass with pictures of everything else I listed above. If you're wary about taking it apart for those pictures, you can always take it to a music shop with a competent tech to do it for you.

Being that it's early 70s, if it's in decent enough shape, and if you have a buyer motivated enough, you can probably get about $2500-3500.

Ebay is an OK place... but ideally you'd want to deal locally, or on a site like TalkBass dot com (you have to pay $10 for a yearly membership to sell things though). Are there any music stores where you can put it on consignment? Hell, they may have an employee there who'll want to buy it off of you outright.

And if you want, shoot me a PM or post here once you get the pictures taken and I can give you a better idea if it's properly dated, and what the price might be.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 27, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I wouldn't expect much more than $2000 on a 73 P Bass, that time period is about the time when quality starting going down and there weren't any notable features/options around then, and sunburst was a pretty common color.

The four screws missing leads me to think the pickup and/or bridge cover are off and possibly the finger rest as well. Do you have these parts? If so they will help with the price.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Scarf posted:

coughcoughLAKLANDcoughcough

:D

Hahaha, I was expecting this from you ;). I really really dig Laklands from all the videos I've watched of people playing them/their website, but I've never ever seen one in person! I live near Dayton Ohio, so... thats probably why.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

DrChu posted:

The four screws missing leads me to think the pickup and/or bridge cover are off and possibly the finger rest as well. Do you have these parts? If so they will help with the price.

I do, yeah. Everything's there except the screws. Honestly, though, $2000 would keep my electricity on for a few more months, ha.

Scarf posted:

Do you mean sunburst? I've never heard of a starburst finish.

Here's a list of things you'll want to get good pictures of, mainly to help date the bass for potential buyers:
- Headstock, particularly a close-up showing the Fender logo and where it says "Precision Bass."
- The back of the headstock, mainly just to show the tuning machines in detail.
- The neck plate on the back of the bass where the neck joins the body.
- The bridge at the bottom of the body.
- Places where the screws are missing.
- Overall shot of the bass, front and back.

You MAY be asked to take pictures of the neck heel, and bottom of the pots. Those will require you taking it apart, and will really only be necessary if someone isn't entirely sure about the date of the bass with pictures of everything else I listed above. If you're wary about taking it apart for those pictures, you can always take it to a music shop with a competent tech to do it for you.

Being that it's early 70s, if it's in decent enough shape, and if you have a buyer motivated enough, you can probably get about $2500-3500.

Ebay is an OK place... but ideally you'd want to deal locally, or on a site like TalkBass dot com (you have to pay $10 for a yearly membership to sell things though). Are there any music stores where you can put it on consignment? Hell, they may have an employee there who'll want to buy it off of you outright.

And if you want, shoot me a PM or post here once you get the pictures taken and I can give you a better idea if it's properly dated, and what the price might be.

I meant sunburst, yeah. I think I was just thinking of delicious chewy candies.

Music stores have offered around $500, most saying I could get more elsewhere but they'd need to make a profit. Makes sense. When I get the pictures taken I'll send them along!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

I wouldn't expect much more than $2000 on a 73 P Bass, that time period is about the time when quality starting going down and there weren't any notable features/options around then, and sunburst was a pretty common color.

It's been a while since I checked the market on vintage Fenders... Yeah, $2k is going to be about it. It may be ABOUT the time when quality started to go down, but I think most people still associate that with the block-logo change in 75-76.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I've never been much of an effects guy, but I've always been curious about this. There's this kind of delay-ish effect I hear Tool and Isis use sometimes and I really like it. Can anyone tell me what it is? You can hear it at 6:20 in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopiG1Qhlh8

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Pretty sure thats a chorus effect.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah (think the intro to Come As You Are) - sounds like there's a little reverb and maybe light delay in there for flavour, but that blong blong tone (sorry) is a chorus

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sounds more like a Flanger to me. But I'm just going through my laptop speakers at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpKKLcRuink

minema
May 31, 2011
Hey, I hope this question isn't in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where else to find it. Basically, my boyfriend plays bass guitar, and I was looking for a compilation CD with the best bass guitar in. I can't seem to find anything but I was hoping someone here might be able to help or direct me to another thread? I've thought about burning my own or something but I don't know much about bass guitar!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

minema posted:

Hey, I hope this question isn't in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where else to find it. Basically, my boyfriend plays bass guitar, and I was looking for a compilation CD with the best bass guitar in. I can't seem to find anything but I was hoping someone here might be able to help or direct me to another thread? I've thought about burning my own or something but I don't know much about bass guitar!

What kind of music is he into?

minema
May 31, 2011

Scarf posted:

What kind of music is he into?

Mostly rock. Some of his favourite bands are Green Day, The Black Keys, Frank Turner, Pink Floyd, Muse, Avenged Sevenfold and Tom Moriarty.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot, his absolute favourite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers.

minema fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 30, 2012

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

minema posted:

Mostly rock. Some of his favourite bands are Green Day, The Black Keys, Frank Turner, Pink Floyd, Muse, Avenged Sevenfold and Tom Moriarty.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot, his absolute favourite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

minema
May 31, 2011

I was expecting something like this. :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

minema posted:

Chances are he already has a lot of music by those artists then...

If you go to a musical instrument store (or even look online) you can find books that contain sheet-music or tablature for the bass. That way maybe he can learn to play some of his favorite songs. I'm like 99% certain you could easily find a book containing Flea's basslines from RHCP. He probably has an instructional DVD out as well, and that might be even better.

minema
May 31, 2011

Scarf posted:

Chances are he already has a lot of music by those artists then...

If you go to a musical instrument store (or even look online) you can find books that contain sheet-music or tablature for the bass. That way maybe he can learn to play some of his favorite songs. I'm like 99% certain you could easily find a book containing Flea's basslines from RHCP. He probably has an instructional DVD out as well, and that might be even better.

I think he already has quite a few things like that, I was more after any songs that have got really good bass bits so he can listen to the CD when he's driving and stuff. :) He doesn't actually have many CDs since he borrows other people's to put on his iPod, but he's mentioned being bored of the 3 he has in his car at the moment. I know this is more of a learning-to-play thread, maybe the recommendation thread in No Music Discussion would be more suitable for me!

Edit: Actually I think I'll look for a RHCP specific book, he'd love that, thanks!

minema fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 30, 2012

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

minema posted:

I think he already has quite a few things like that, I was more after any songs that have got really good bass bits so he can listen to the CD when he's driving and stuff. :) He doesn't actually have many CDs since he borrows other people's to put on his iPod, but he's mentioned being bored of the 3 he has in his car at the moment. I know this is more of a learning-to-play thread, maybe the recommendation thread in No Music Discussion would be more suitable for me!

Edit: Actually I think I'll look for a RHCP specific book, he'd love that, thanks!

You should get him a Primus CD or something.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bruce Boxliker posted:

You should get him a Primus CD or something.

I'd actually get him a copy of Extreme's album, "Pornograffitti." Aside from the slow, overplayed, and non-representative radio single "More Than Words" the album is mostly kickass funk metal that, had it been released in maybe '86 instead of '90, probably would have been a huge success. Some really great guitar work on there by Nuno Bettencourt, and their bassist, Pat Badger, is very cool - his playing on "Get the Funk Out" is worth checking out.

Also Gogol Bordello is an amazing gypsy punk band. "Super Taranta!" is my favorite, I'm listening to a song from it, "Supertheory of Supereverything" and mostly the bass is pretty simple, but with a neat breakdown towards the end.

Oh Cake also has some really great bass playing, though they've changed players a few time. If I had to recommend only one album, "Prolonging the Magic" is my personal favorite. "

So instead of offering you a compilation I took a wild stab and suggested three wildly different albums. Um. Hope that helps, haha.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
so Ryan (the Fuzzrocious guy) posted on Facebook recently asking if anyone wanted Failure's Heliotropic bass tone in a pedal, and if they would buy it.

I would throw my money at my computer screen instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llxvuf_X_us - for reference.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

niff posted:

so Ryan (the Fuzzrocious guy) posted on Facebook recently asking if anyone wanted Failure's Heliotropic bass tone in a pedal, and if they would buy it.

I would throw my money at my computer screen instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llxvuf_X_us - for reference.
While I'd love for that to be true and will probably also buy right away, a lot of that tone comes from the Wal bass used to record the album.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

DrChu posted:

While I'd love for that to be true and will probably also buy right away, a lot of that tone comes from the Wal bass used to record the album.

If he has a trick to imitate the tone of that Wal preamp, it would be very convincing - but you're right, not exactly the same.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

niff posted:

If he has a trick to imitate the tone of that Wal preamp, it would be very convincing - but you're right, not exactly the same.

For some reason I read your post as being about the whole album rather than that specific song. Getting that one tone would be easier and would be good to have. I friended the guy, hopefully it is something that he makes soon.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I just ordered myself a dual true bypass looper from a guy in New Zealand - if anyone's a local like me and can't handle a soldering iron/drill very well, I know a guy! Tinnitus Effects Pedals, based in Wellington. Awesome to deal with.

I will admit I never ever noticed any difference in the two bypass methods using a modern active bass and a modern amp, but now I have switch to vintage heads and a passive rick 4001 the difference is astounding.. and annoying to my ear. My Boss TU-2 and BF-2 in conjunction with one another ruin the awesome dynamics I can get with an amp when they are on bypass.

I guess it comes down to how particular you are about your sound - nobody in the audience is going to notice that I'm using a buffered bypass versus true bypass, but I will notice and react to my playing differently. Other bonuses include sturdy switches to stomp on, the ability to turn on multiple effects at once with one stomp, removing any 60 cycle hum (looper runs on a 9V) and ridiculously bright LEDs for stage use.

So yeah, has anyone else set up their effects with a tb loop to rid their signal chain of dirty buffered bypasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I've never really noticed much difference in my setup between the true bypass and buffered pedals. I haven't actually run any tests to see what sounds better though. Usually I've got about 10-12 pedals on the board with a couple of them being buffered and no real concern given to buffer placement. Sounds good with either the modern active Stingray or old passive T-40 bass to my ears. Same thing switching between the fifty year old tube amp or the modern solid stater. It could just be me missing something, but I'm one of the folks who's always been happy with my sound even through stupidly over the top or complicated effects chains.