Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sjurygg posted:

So you made peach gelato, more or less? Sounds loving good to me.

Yeah and I somehow posted this in the wrong thread, but I posted the recipe in chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I finally caved and picked up a Thermapen, and early returns are good. (Any company that throws a bag of jelly beans in the box with the product, apropos of nothing, is already on the right foot with me.) I've compared it to my previous thermometer, and the difference really is significant -- especially with consistency. My old thermometer was usually (eventually) around the same temperature as the Thermapen, but sometimes it just wouldn't register a change in temperature for several moments. I feel like I can trust the Thermapen, and never felt that way with the old one.

Question for those who have one of these: do you leave the display resolution in .1 degree increments, or let it round to whole degrees? On the one hand, I can't imagine anything I'd cook where a fraction of a degree is meaningful, and the constantly changing numbers can be a little distracting/harder to read. On the other hand, more accuracy is generally better than less, and you can see the temperature trending better with smaller increments (though I'm not sure when I'd need to know that on that level). Thoughts?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ChetReckless posted:

Question for those who have one of these: do you leave the display resolution in .1 degree increments, or let it round to whole degrees? On the one hand, I can't imagine anything I'd cook where a fraction of a degree is meaningful, and the constantly changing numbers can be a little distracting/harder to read. On the other hand, more accuracy is generally better than less, and you can see the temperature trending better with smaller increments (though I'm not sure when I'd need to know that on that level). Thoughts?

Hah, I JUST got my RT600C from them today and used it to cook a great steak. It was really cool and making sure the temperature hit a perfect 130 was nice. I also enjoyed the jelly beans.

I like the decimals because it, as you said, helps me trend temperatures. I don't care that something is at 120.3 but I like knowing how fast it's going up (I am aware of the time differentials). That little bit of extra accuracy is nice for estimating when to pull things off the heat. It's for spergs, really.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I can't think of anything where knowing a literal fraction of a degree difference is going to make or break the dish.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PRADA SLUT posted:

I can't think of anything where knowing a literal fraction of a degree difference is going to make or break the dish.

the dish of love. :cry:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

the dish of love. :cry:

The Dish of Love is dry and tasteless.
No one can bake the drat thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I know this has been asked before, but which Kitchenaid Mixer should I pick up, a professional or a regular one?

I will be making Pain a l'Ancienne and other breads a few times a week, and MY GIRLFRIEND likes making cookies, including a few thick ones like chocolate crinkles (which actually destroyed my hand mixer).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know this has been asked before, but which Kitchenaid Mixer should I pick up, a professional or a regular one?

I will be making Pain a l'Ancienne and other breads a few times a week, and MY GIRLFRIEND likes making cookies, including a few thick ones like chocolate crinkles (which actually destroyed my hand mixer).

Get the lift bowl version. I've got an Artisan, which is a tilt head, and there are times that I worry about the strain on the hinge/motor because of the design.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Get the lift bowl version. I've got an Artisan, which is a tilt head, and there are times that I worry about the strain on the hinge/motor because of the design.

Seconding this. Just make sure it's bowl lift.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So this?

KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Yeah, now pick YOUR GIRLFRIEND's favorite color and buy that thing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, my girlfriend has the normal non-bowl lift one, and I keep on worrying about it. it's held up thusfar, but if I had to choose, I'd pay the little extra money and get the good one, considering the thing hopefully should last like 15-20 years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

I would recommend the Cuisinart, which tends to be stronger for the same money, and has almost all the same accessory options

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

If you hate the taste of brown rice but want to eat healthier and hate the additional cook times, here is the answer to your prayers. It's brown rice that tastes pretty close to white and cooks the same as white.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

If you hate the taste of brown rice but want to eat healthier and hate the additional cook times, here is the answer to your prayers. It's brown rice that tastes pretty close to white and cooks the same as white.
If that's the product I'm thinking of, isn't it not actually brown rice at all (the part with the fiber is removed or something)?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
1 cup of uncooked brown rice typically has 6.5g of fiber, this one has 4g.

If it's treated in some way, like pre-steamed or something, I wouldn't be surprised.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

1 cup of uncooked brown rice typically has 6.5g of fiber, this one has 4g.

If it's treated in some way, like pre-steamed or something, I wouldn't be surprised.
I can't find a source now (this may just be based off of reading the package when I saw it in a supermarket after a coworker told me about it) but I think rather than being precooked it has part of the rice removed, so it's actually somewhere between white rice and brown rice. If it has most of the fiber whatever they remove can't be that significant, though, so it's probably a reasonable compromise.

(I just remember thinking it was sort of funny that a product called something like "healthy brown rice" was not a complete whole grain unlike normal brown rice.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 6, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Searched some threads and found nothing... is there a recommended burger press? I'm thinking of throwing some money at Amazon for one around $7 so I can pre-make some burgers for when I'm feeling lazy. I'd prefer to be able to pre-spice them and all that, and I think there's some recipes for burgers enhanced by burger press use.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Burger press?

I just clap my hands and say yeah!

(Sorry...)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Searched some threads and found nothing... is there a recommended burger press? I'm thinking of throwing some money at Amazon for one around $7 so I can pre-make some burgers for when I'm feeling lazy. I'd prefer to be able to pre-spice them and all that, and I think there's some recipes for burgers enhanced by burger press use.

Truthfully, I would seriously recommend against something like that. Just gently form them with your hands. That being said, if you feel like you absolutely need one, then $7 sounds like a good price. I'm not sure quality would be a sticking point. Just make sure it's not made out of Chinese lead or something, I guess.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whelp, I'm a little disappointed with how fussy using this foodsaver is with liquids. It has a 'pulse vac' function (thank god), so I don't have to do any clever tricks like in that video to only seal a second or to at a time. I still have already had a couple bag-seal failures due to liquid getting underneath the seal, and don't really know how I should go about preventing those, other than vacuum sealing only a little bit, so there's still some air in the bag. which isn't really what I want to do. I'm being really careful about immediately cleaning up any liquid in the drip tray though, and making sure the foodsaver is 100% dry.

anyone got tips?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

whelp, I'm a little disappointed with how fussy using this foodsaver is with liquids. It has a 'pulse vac' function (thank god), so I don't have to do any clever tricks like in that video to only seal a second or to at a time. I still have already had a couple bag-seal failures due to liquid getting underneath the seal, and don't really know how I should go about preventing those, other than vacuum sealing only a little bit, so there's still some air in the bag. which isn't really what I want to do. I'm being really careful about immediately cleaning up any liquid in the drip tray though, and making sure the foodsaver is 100% dry.

anyone got tips?

What exactly are you doing? My food saver has a seal function (without vacuum) that you can push to just stop the vacuum and seal directly. I hang the bag off the edge such that all the liquid is off the edge before vacuuming, then have it start vacuuming and then press that button when the liquid almost reaches the seal. If I'm doing a large amount of liquid I don't mind freezing, I freeze, then do the same thing to give myself more wiggle room.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

mindphlux posted:

anyone got tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naLhexUJjQ8 that's how I do it but you need a foodsaver with an accessory port and a manual seal button

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

granpa yum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naLhexUJjQ8 that's how I do it but you need a foodsaver with an accessory port and a manual seal button

I wish my foodsaver was that small :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

anyone got tips?

The only way you're going to get it done reliably is to freeze them first, I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Phummus, are you still around? I wrote an FAQ on page 42. I was wondering if you'd like to put it in the op.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm considering getting a pressure cooker and could use some advice. Is a cheap one, like this one from IKEA, or should I go straight to a pricier brand, Like WMF or Fissler? What volume should I aim for for normal home cooking?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dunno about those brands, but several people on the forums use Fagor and Presto and are happy with them.

Most people go with the 6 quart, but Dino has a lot of expertise with these and recommends getting the 8 quart because if you stack a few stainless steel bowls of ingredients inside you can cook a whole meal at once. Personally I don't think I'll ever get around to cooking a whole meal in one pressure cooker, but that's something to consider.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Steve Yun posted:

Phummus, are you still around? I wrote an FAQ on page 42. I was wondering if you'd like to put it in the op.

I will attempt to do so tomorrow when i am not on a phone.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Steve Yun posted:

Dunno about those brands, but several people on the forums use Fagor and Presto and are happy with them.

Neither of those are available here in Sweden, it seems, but judging by their pricing it at least seems like there is no real need to spend 200+ $ on a pressure cooker. I think I'll go with the IKEA one. 6 liters should be enough, I think.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

DekeThornton posted:

I'm considering getting a pressure cooker and could use some advice. Is a cheap one, like this one from IKEA, or should I go straight to a pricier brand, Like WMF or Fissler? What volume should I aim for for normal home cooking?
I use WMF, and it is awesome.

Cannot compare it to IKEA for you though, since I have never tried something from them.

5 liter WMF is fine, giving you enough space for a goodish amount of liquids.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cooking Issues likes the Kuhn-Rikon pressure cookers and talks about the technology involved:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/11/22/pressure-cooked-stocks-we-got-schooled/

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Looking for a tortilla press. Don't need the best just, just something solid, good and inexpensive as I don't foresee making tortillas that frequently.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Imusa makes a cheap aluminum one, it's what a lot of the Mexican joints around here use. Just keep in mind that you can't put aluminum in the dishwasher or it will oxidize.

Edit: apparently amazon has the Imusa aluminum for $40 which is insane, it should be $20 for an 8 inch

Edit again: price correction

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 9, 2012

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
I saw those prices on amazon and laughed. I guess I'll try the local Mexican market and see if I can get a more reasonable price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Probably best that you buy it in person, check the surfaces to make sure they don't have a random spike sticking out

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
This may be too much to ask, but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced convection toaster oven that can fit a standard 1/4 sheet pan? I love toaster ovens but I hate how a lot of them can only fit a single proprietary pan.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Chemmy posted:

Cooking Issues likes the Kuhn-Rikon pressure cookers and talks about the technology involved:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/11/22/pressure-cooked-stocks-we-got-schooled/

On the other hand, those are the guys who took the advice of an internet "chemist" and made a big old pot of stock soap. Food science at its best.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

that awful man posted:

On the other hand, those are the guys who took the advice of an internet "chemist" and made a big old pot of stock soap. Food science at its best.

This is why I love Cooking Issues. Often it's informative and intersting and at times it's completely batshit insane. The best mad food scientists I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The OP is updated with the FAQ.

EIEIO

• Locked thread