Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Tensokuu posted:

... And what was the Shirou question? (I was going to ask you on Twitter but forgot)

I was wondering the same thing, and found this:

quote:

Q: After reading Fate/Stay Night, I was under the impression that Shirou was more burnt after the fire than how he was shown at the end of Fate/Zero.…[panel is a bit unsure how to answer, mic gets passed from Iwakami to Aoki] it looked like all he needed was to take a shower.

The answer was along the lines of "We wanted to avoid overly grotesque images." After hearing how spergy the question was, I was honestly expecting it to be something like "How could Shirou kill Gilgamesh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Marin Karin posted:

I was wondering the same thing, and found this:

The answer was along the lines of "We wanted to avoid overly grotesque images." After hearing how spergy the question was, I was honestly expecting it to be something like "How could Shirou kill Gilgamesh?"

Yep, that's the one. It should be noted that he had to repeat it like 4 times for the translator because of just how spergy/poorly phrased the whole thing was (I mean, "more burnt" wtf, why wouldn't you just say like "his injuries seemed more severe").

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I say with no small amount of shame that I'm unsurprised by that question (or that kind of question rather). In terms of level of fan:spergin:, Nasu's stuff is basically Japanese Star Trek.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I say with no small amount of shame that I'm unsurprised by that question (or that kind of question rather). In terms of level of fan:spergin:, Nasu's stuff is basically Japanese Star Trek.

Nasu encourages it. One of the databooks answers questions like how much Shirou makes at his part-time job.

Marin Karin posted:

The answer was along the lines of "We wanted to avoid overly grotesque images."

A bit of an odd thing to say, considering all the stuff with Kariya.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Silver2195 posted:

Nasu encourages it. One of the databooks answers questions like how much Shirou makes at his part-time job.
What I found interesting is that Shirou does maintenance work on Raiga's bike in exchange for an allowance. I would have imagined that his code would have caused him refuse to work for the head of a criminal syndicate even if he is Taiga's grandfather.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 30, 2012

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

A bit of an odd thing to say, considering all the stuff with Kariya.

Or considering :nms: any uncensored Caster scenes. I think they just came up with that answer because they couldn't think of anything else to say to a question like that.

Although the fact that they replaced Ryuunosuke's horrific tuning fork scene with a much shorter and somewhat less gory scene proves that even on the Blu-Rays they really didn't want to go too far.

e: Speaking of horrifying, does anyone know the source to this Sader comic? I really want to read the rest.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 30, 2012

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Factor_VIII posted:

What I found interesting is that Shirou does maintenance work on Raiga's bike in exchange for an allowance. I would have imagined that his code would have caused him refuse to work for the head of a criminal syndicate even if he is Taiga's grandfather.

Kiritsugu was a hired assassin, and that didn't stop Shirou from worshiping him. Meanwhile Raiga is basically just as eccentric as Taiga, so I imagine his yakuza isn't the deadliest thing around.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

BlitzBlast posted:

Kiritsugu was a hired assassin, and that didn't stop Shirou from worshiping him. Meanwhile Raiga is basically just as eccentric as Taiga, so I imagine his yakuza isn't the deadliest thing around.

Well, not that Shirou knew that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Even after he found out he was still hero-worshiping Kiritsugu.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, as shown with Shinji, Shirou always thinks the best of people well beyond the point where it's reasonable. Shirou is only slightly better than Tokiomi in this regard.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I finally got around to watching the last episode.

This loving show is quite possibly the most depressing thing I have ever seen. The only characters who come out of this happy are Kirei and Waver; one of them is completely batfuck insane and the other still has a really bittersweet ending.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

WickedIcon posted:

So I finally got around to watching the last episode.

This loving show is quite possibly the most depressing thing I have ever seen. The only characters who come out of this happy are Kirei and Waver; one of them is completely batfuck insane and the other still has a really bittersweet ending.

Caster and Ryuunosuke come out really happily; I think you mean alive and happy. Kerry does find absolution in Shirou carrying on the mantle, too

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MadRhetoric posted:

Caster and Ryuunosuke come out really happily; I think you mean alive and happy. Kerry does find absolution in Shirou carrying on the mantle, too

Kariya died happy too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Kariya died happy too.

Kariya died driven batshit insane by the trauma he'd gone through and without anything to show for it. I wouldn't call that happy.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

Kariya died driven batshit insane by the trauma he'd gone through and without anything to show for it. I wouldn't call that happy.

I think Silver meant that Kariya died happy because he lived his last moments in his fantasy world, thinking he got everything he wanted. I don't think anyone will argue that, in reality, Kariya actually died on a happy note.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

I think Silver meant that Kariya died happy because he lived his last moments in his fantasy world, thinking he got everything he wanted. I don't think anyone will argue that, in reality, Kariya actually died on a happy note.

Exactly.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I watched Fate/Zero and am now on the Fate/Stay night visual novel.Something i've wondered is how much of the game is changed based off what choice and what route you take? The last 25 percent?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So I watched Fate/Zero and am now on the Fate/Stay night visual novel.Something i've wondered is how much of the game is changed based off what choice and what route you take? The last 25 percent?

You can't do the Rin route (Unlimited Blade Works) before finishing Saber's, and you can't do Sakura's (Heaven's Feel) before finishing Rin's.

About 95% or so of the routes are different from each other. The only identical part in all cases is most of the first three days, although once you finish the Rin route you have to trigger several new scenes in the first three days to access Sakura's route.

In other words, Fate/stay night is essentially a story told as three different stories.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I think the amount that differs based on the route is close to 80%.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Choices will have effects within routes, too, sometimes giving you a choice of several different scenes, sometimes giving you a dead end. Every route also has at least one check towards the end to see if you've paid enough attention to that route's heroine. (Some choices will give you hidden points, if you don't have enough you get a dead end)

If you're like me and are obsessive about seeing every scene just track down a copy of the flowchart (I think the english patch might even include it in the file directory?) and use that as a guide. Many of the dead ends are worth seeing, anyway. The Tiger Dojo segments are amusing and one or two are even compared by some fans to the official endings rather than simple game overs.

But yeah, you're forced to do the three routes in order the first time you play through. They start to diverge pretty sharply soon after Saber's summoned. Stick it up through the Fate Route, the game gets better as you go along. And install the Realtua Nua patch if you haven't for voices and additional graphics at a couple good points.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18212898
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18259095

Someone on Niconico estimated the financial damages caused by the 4th Holy Grail War and who was responsible for them.

Prices in yen unless noted.

1. Team Saber - 49,738,404,210
2. Young Kiritsugu - 11,605,513,400
3. Team Caster - 10,100,082,500
4. Team Lancer - 10,013,700,000
5. Team Rider - 2,921,535,285
6. Team Archer - 135,646,375
7. Team Berserker - 111,126,384
8. Tousaka Rin - 13,230
9. Assassin - 13,200

For a grand total of 84,626,021,354 yen, or about $1.061 Billion at current exchange rates. More than half of which can be attributed to Kiritsugu.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bakanogami posted:

For a grand total of 84,626,021,354 yen, or about $1.061 Billion at current exchange rates. More than half of which can be attributed to Kiritsugu.

Well, when the very first thing you do in a conflict is BLOW UP A 50 STORY HOTEL, you're probably going to end up footing a lot of the bill.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't forget the massive stretch of road and flooding damage that must have resulted from Excaliblasting Casterthulu.

VVV Naw that's Young Kiritsugu. Not that he really needed Saber's help to rack up a giant bill.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 4, 2012

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

And the massive jetliner.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DerLeo posted:

And the massive jetliner.

That was before the 4th War.

Berserker's seems a little low. He took out an F-16 (which is already more than a million USD weapons included), a truck, and Saber's bike, at least. What else? A light pole at the dock? I guess the fire in the parking lot would be redundant since the whole building gets taken out anyway?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, Rin did more damage than Assassin. Although I guess Assassin's method of doing things doesn't really cause much damage to things, mainly people.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I guess that justifies why Kirei was so depressed throughout Carnival Phantasm.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

That was before the 4th War.

Berserker's seems a little low. He took out an F-16 (which is already more than a million USD weapons included), a truck, and Saber's bike, at least. What else? A light pole at the dock? I guess the fire in the parking lot would be redundant since the whole building gets taken out anyway?

The video attributes the F-16 to Lancer since he was the one who destroyed it in the end. Berserker only got charged for the missiles he used.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have to admit, I burst out laughing when this came up.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

The video attributes the F-16 to Lancer since he was the one who destroyed it in the end. Berserker only got charged for the missiles he used.

Umm... it's a F-15 actually. Probably more expensive than a F-16.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not exactly a Ufotable animated Heaven's Feel TV series, but apparently they just announced a Vita port of Realta Nua and have Ufotable listed for Animation Production, so maybe we'll get an OP movie or something by them?

Will this be released in America? Hahahaha of course not.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
I'm still waiting for somebody to attempt selling the Realta Nua PC games on Steam.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Will this be released in America? Hahahaha of course not.

You never know. XSEED or Atlus might pick it up, since releasing a portable game is pretty cheap and the other Fate stuff that's come here has done pretty well.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

You never know. XSEED or Atlus might pick it up, since releasing a portable game is pretty cheap and the other Fate stuff that's come here has done pretty well.

Something with the sheer amount of text as FSN isn't as cheap to translate as something like Corpse Party or Fate Extra. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/humanity6/

So apparently we're getting a Tsukihime remake for real, an Apocrypha anime, and the last bit of KnK animated.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Something with the sheer amount of text as FSN isn't as cheap to translate as something like Corpse Party or Fate Extra. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Actually, I could see them pulling a MangaGamer and just buying Mirror-Moon's translation for most of it. Which would mean that all that they'd have to translate would be the "sex scenes" in Fate and UBW and then about a quarter of HF.

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.

DerLeo posted:

https://twitter.com/humanity6/

So apparently we're getting a Tsukihime remake for real, an Apocrypha anime, and the last bit of KnK animated.

Might be a bit too early to say Apocrypha will be an anime, someone else who went to the event said it wasn't confirmed what form it would take.

WickedIcon posted:

Actually, I could see them pulling a MangaGamer and just buying Mirror-Moon's translation for most of it. Which would mean that all that they'd have to translate would be the "sex scenes" in Fate and UBW and then about a quarter of HF.
That would be nice, though the text would probably still need some editing for a commercial release (though it's very accurate and the translator clearly knows Japanese well, which is more that can be said for Aksys's Extra translation).

Speaking of Mangagamer, someone from there was expressing some interest in localizing the PC version of Realta Nua a while back (though who knows if anything will come of that).

Mister Gutsy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 7, 2012

Mezmerize
Feb 24, 2012

SOLO MID OR I FEED
Man Takeuchi's art has gotten really amazing in the past 3 years.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

WickedIcon posted:

That wouldn't make business sense in my opinion. The translation has been available for years. Practically the entire target audience has probably played the VN by this point. And regarding those that haven't, it would be impossible to eliminate the translation patch from the web so that they don't find it by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mezmerize posted:

Man Takeuchi's art has gotten really amazing in the past 3 years.

Ya think? Shirou's arm doesn't look quite right to me.

• Locked thread