Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

aventari posted:

I have these http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/glove_liners/tour_master/silk_motorcycle_glove_liners.html and they are so much better than bulky, unwieldy winter gloves. They help against the cold a lot more than you would think by looking at them.

Do silk liners and polar fleece liners do pretty much the same thing? Is it just a thickness thing when deciding between the two materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Went liking for something to combine with my gloves last night but had pretty much resigned myself to buying winter gloves. Where did you get your liners?

I hunted around for a bit but in the end i bought them online from amazon for less than i could find them in Sydney. They're not going to be a full on substitute for winter gloves but worked well enough that i could (barely) still feel my fingers after a 20 minute commute in 7 or 8 degrees this morning.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bought new liners the other day at MCAS in the city for $12.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I bought new liners the other day at MCAS in the city for $12.

Wow, i didn't think it was possible to buy anything at mcas for less than triple street value. Maybe i should have shelved my prejudices against them and tried there.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've never really found MCAS to be any more expensive than any other shops. In fact, when I bought new boots in January I got them for about $50 cheaper than shops were asking.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Not entirely my fault, but something I could have easily prevented with some forethought.

I was in the rightmost lane of a four-lane overpass, atop a four-lane highway, with traffic moving along at about 25mph. The Expedition behind me was tailgating with no room to spare, sedan maybe 10ft in front of me, while the beige Park Avenue back and to my left jumped forward in an attempt to change lanes. Four elderly women inside, not one looking in my direction... honked, nothing. The Buick's nose was ~4ft off the guardrail, and I did my best to finagle towards the back of the Buick so as not to get squished or pushed off the overpass. I pulled the clutch while honking and revving, doing anything to get attention. They didn't even glance over but I managed to eke enough room for the Buick to squeeze in.
:gonk:
I could've prevented this had I backed off more abruptly when a car merged in front of me a few seconds prior, leaving a bit more room to maneuver when the Champion Euchre Team approached.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Are you this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3WiRFdAeBI

I've always wondered if revving actually does anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That video led me to this one, which makes me angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkV2ZKpyFM&t=39s

e:

quote:

What a pussy
jdogvv 12 hours ago

first time I've seen a youtube comment I agree with

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Ziploc posted:

Are you this guy?

I've been sitting behind someone that was checking her phone at a stoplight instead of watching for the light to turn green. She didn't respond to my horn, so I revved to like 10000 rpm. She jumped and dropped her phone, waved in apology, and started driving.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Ziploc posted:

Are you this guy?

Haha, mother of god, better rev at those pedestrians in the crosswalk lest they maintain right-of-way.

No, but when you're at a standstill in traffic, trapped between a guardrail and a Buick incoming at a snail's pace, anything that can get attention comes to mind. I doubt it managed anything. Cars nearby made way, but I don't think the driver or any of the passengers in that Park Avenue ever noticed the fool honking and such.

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 4, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I imagine he'll describe the bike as "adult ridden, never raced" when he goes to sell it.

I was secretly hoping he'd lunch his motor every time he did that.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

Ziploc posted:

Are you this guy?

That can't be good for the engine. Moreover, if there's a potentially dangerous situation, clutching in and pinning the throttle doesn't seem like the safest course of action - you're reducing both your ability to cover the front brake, and to power out of the situation.

If I saw/heard that on the street, I'd just assume they'd completely ballsed up a gear shift.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

~138dB aftermarket horns work so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWBJ69VzW8

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 5, 2012

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

~138dB aftermarket horns work so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWBJ69VzW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRYm_peqGA

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I rev instead of using the horn quite a bit. It's a habit I got driving my car around for many years without a horn and with a loud exhaust. I don't come close to bouncing it off the rev limiter like this guy, just a large blip that takes a lot less concentration and doesn't require hand repositioning like fumbling around for the horn does. For me it's a lot safer and easier. If I'm really mad (and not furiously swerving to avoid something) then I'll jam the horn button too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The flock of birds was the best part.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Had a bit of a scare tonight;

Going around a corner (nothing sharp or anything) at around 55km/h (60km/h zone) and hit some oil (it has been raining the last few days although only light, sporadic showers earlier today) and felt the bike start to slide. I was fairly upright so it wasn't a big deal, I just thought to myself "Hmm, that's kind of slippery, ease off the gas, let it do its thing, nearly out of the corner anyway." The oil wasn't the scare, it was the part where my rear tyre regripped and almost high sided me that made me poo poo myself - wasn't too bad, knocked me off balance and had a lot of my upper torso thrown to the right side of the bike, lost my footing on my brake foot a bit before I recovered from it.

Can't think of anything else I could have done - I couldn't see the oil on the road even though I knew there might be some there, the corner can easily be taken at 70km/h in the wet, it's a 90hm/h corner in the dry if you're feeling stupid and that's without much lean. The only thing I wasn't really prepared for was the sudden shock when the tyre regripped. Oh well, didn't come off and learnt my lesson - it's a corner I've gone through a hundred million times but I won't be taking it for granted any more.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
My understanding is that you're supposed to keep throttle constant in those situations, not back off. Glad you managed to hang on!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, keeping the throttle constant or even increasing it a bit allow the slide to spin back into line is the best option.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, ok, now I know for next time. Thanks! When I say I let off the throttle it was only minutely, I didn't want it to rapidly slow down or anything, I probably only dropped 500 - 1000rpm a most.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shimrod posted:

Hmm, ok, now I know for next time. Thanks! When I say I let off the throttle it was only minutely, I didn't want it to rapidly slow down or anything, I probably only dropped 500 - 1000rpm a most.

So you're saying that you neither held the throttle constant, nor increased it slightly? :P

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So you're saying that you neither held the throttle constant, nor increased it slightly? :P

I just meant to say that while I messed up by not holding it constant, I didn't let off the throttle completely, I just wanted to clear that up - I let it off a little bit, but it wasn't a huge amount - I know letting it off a lot probably would have led me to having a different result when the tyre regripped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

I just meant to say that while I messed up by not holding it constant, I didn't let off the throttle completely, I just wanted to clear that up - I let it off a little bit, but it wasn't a huge amount - I know letting it off a lot probably would have led me to having a different result when the tyre regripped.

It would have had the same result. Highsides occur because when the rear regrips it drives the bike forward from the rear tire. If the bike is pointing off at a 30 degree angle from the front wheel, then it attempts to go sideways, and flicks you off as a result. The 2 ways to avoid a highside are either you lock the rear tire and lowside it, or you feed it throttle so that it spins it's way back into line. This is especially true in situations where you've lost traction because of oil or something on the road and the tire started spinning because once you are off that patch of oil or whatever, there is going to be a lot more grip.

However, if you feed it too much throttle, you can spin it out and lowside, so there's a balance there.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

It would have had the same result. Highsides occur because when the rear regrips it drives the bike forward from the rear tire. If the bike is pointing off at a 30 degree angle from the front wheel, then it attempts to go sideways, and flicks you off as a result. The 2 ways to avoid a highside are either you lock the rear tire and lowside it, or you feed it throttle so that it spins it's way back into line. This is especially true in situations where you've lost traction because of oil or something on the road and the tire started spinning because once you are off that patch of oil or whatever, there is going to be a lot more grip.

However, if you feed it too much throttle, you can spin it out and lowside, so there's a balance there.

Thanks for that info, I have so much to learn :( Hopefully I never have to worry about it again, but I know better than that.

e: Was just thinking about it again and it's amazing how time slows down when you're in a situation like that, I've heard if from people before but never really realised how true it is.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 15, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What would happen if you pulled in the clutch and coasted it out, so that when the tire catches the road again it isn't being driven?

What happens if your bike doesn't have enough power to spin the wheel back into line?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Sagebrush posted:

What would happen if you pulled in the clutch and coasted it out, so that when the tire catches the road again it isn't being driven?

What happens if your bike doesn't have enough power to spin the wheel back into line?

If you clutched in, the same thing would happen. When the rear tire regains traction, it pulls itself back in-line with the front tire. You don't want it to quickly regain traction. Pulling in the clutch will make it quickly regain traction. As to what happens if you don't have enough power to spin the back wheel? I'm not sure. I would guess that since the rear has already broken loose, most bikes have enough power to keep it spinning if you gas it. The goal is a smooth transition back to traction instead of a sudden one.

The force that pushes the rear back in line is the inertia of the bike moving forward, not the drive of the engine. Think of how a wheel on a shopping cart aligns with the direction of travel.

edit: I should give a warning that I'm still a motorcycling newbie. I understand traction dynamics from cars, and have read a couple books on motorcycling, but I only have a couple months of experience on a bike, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 15, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, I see. Of course, the situation is not that the rear tire is stopped and sliding, but rather that the oil you hit has reduced your friction and it's now spinning out of control much faster than it should be and sliding. Durr. So you keep the power up so the wheel keeps spinning until the oil wears off and it slowly regains traction? That makes sense.

e: yeah, I think I was getting at something like "but if you clutch in so the rear wheel has no power, how can it push the bike into line..." but after thinking about it I understand the situation better. Regardless of the power situation, it's the difference between riding with your rear end on a free-moving slider vs. your rear end constrained to the degrees of freedom the tire will allow.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 15, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, I almost ran over a cop last night.

Police in our city got some new Victorys for patrol bikes (waste of money IMHO) and as I was going down the inside lane of a 6 lane (3 each side) road, one decided he needed to go HIGH SPEED PURSUIT from and came flying out of a parking lot next to me and took the exit so badly, he came across 3 lanes right in front of me causing me to panic stop so I didn't run over him. He then proceeded to wind up the big victory to catch up to the high-performance Cavalier that in my estimation was hardly even speeding.

In 4 blocks.

lovely bikes, lovely riding and these guys shouldn't even be on them without more training.

I'm hugely pro cop, but WTF guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, I see. Of course, the situation is not that the rear tire is stopped and sliding, but rather that the oil you hit has reduced your friction and it's now spinning out of control much faster than it should be and sliding. Durr. So you keep the power up so the wheel keeps spinning until the oil wears off and it slowly regains traction? That makes sense.

e: yeah, I think I was getting at something like "but if you clutch in so the rear wheel has no power, how can it push the bike into line..." but after thinking about it I understand the situation better. Regardless of the power situation, it's the difference between riding with your rear end on a free-moving slider vs. your rear end constrained to the degrees of freedom the tire will allow.

Exactly.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
What's up with the pantaloons?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

slidebite posted:

Well, I almost ran over a cop last night.

Police in our city got some new Victorys for patrol bikes (waste of money IMHO) and as I was going down the inside lane of a 6 lane (3 each side) road, one decided he needed to go HIGH SPEED PURSUIT from and came flying out of a parking lot next to me and took the exit so badly, he came across 3 lanes right in front of me causing me to panic stop so I didn't run over him. He then proceeded to wind up the big victory to catch up to the high-performance Cavalier that in my estimation was hardly even speeding.

In 4 blocks.

lovely bikes, lovely riding and these guys shouldn't even be on them without more training.

I'm hugely pro cop, but WTF guys.

drat, that is embarassing. I've only ever seen moto cops handle their bikes with impressive skill.

Bloody Queef posted:

A lot of motorcycle cop gear is copied from the horse-riding days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

drat, that is embarassing. I've only ever seen moto cops handle their bikes with impressive skill.
I agree. My city hasn't had a bike division for at least 20 years (maybe 30) so I'd be putting money that they haven't had any real rider training other than a 2 week crash course when they got the bikes other than personal riding.

I know people make mistakes, but I'm considering calling the police dept to complain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody Queef posted:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A lot of motorcycle cop gear is copied from the horse-riding days.

Yeah, if the cops are going to ride those...things, the least they could do is get the appropriate uniforms.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

This illustrates why I was proper f*cked with my recent oil incident. It was a two-lane U with cars to the front, rear, and left, ending in a red light. I've probably gone through it a thousand times. I suppose a high side would have put me in the grass, which might have been a little softer, but I think the damage would have only swapped sides. Powering up was not an option on the table, unfortunately.

I think an equally useful discussion here would be scanning for hazards in the midst of turn when you're supposed to be heads-up and looking through it. That's a delicate art. I saw this stuff when I was right up on it, but that's not where my eyes should/would have been in the event of a green light and continuous 180.

BTW--I've only been here a couple years or so, but does it seem like an above average # of petroleum-related escapades this year on SA? Are we seeing the results of the screw it, just add another quart school of deferred auto maintenance?

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

slidebite posted:

I know people make mistakes, but I'm considering calling the police dept to complain.

It probably won't do much good but you should still write a letter or something. Make sure to mention the time and area so that if they do pay attention they can figure out what cop it was.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 15, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

slidebite posted:

How quaint

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for adding to the discussion!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Marv Hushman posted:

I think an equally useful discussion here would be scanning for hazards in the midst of turn when you're supposed to be heads-up and looking through it. That's a delicate art. I saw this stuff when I was right up on it, but that's not where my eyes should/would have been in the event of a green light and continuous 180.

I've been trying to pay attention to this; it seems to me that the bike goes MOSTLY where your head is pointed, and somewhat less to where your eyes are. I think that's why the MSF gets on the "looking through the turn" so much; make the muscle memory of your body follow your head.

Once that becomes reflexive, you can point your head to the right spot and scan with your eyes with much less chance of something bad happening. I know I've fixated on an oily patch in my turn but since I pointed my head so my line was inside that patch, even though I was staring directly at it, the bike didn't go where I was looking, but pointing.

Once you're practised enough to get the bike set up for a turn properly without thinking, then riding becomes much easier, since most of the "work" is done. If you're set up right, then if you do PRECISELY NOTHING, then the bike swings on through the turn with no inputs. If you hit oil, you're steady on the throttle, and there might be a wobble, but it won't wash out. I know this happens all the time in the riding I'm doing; balding street tires in mud and dust aren't great, but loose arms means the front end can shake and do whatever, but the overall direction is controlled with legs and abs and good throttle/clutch work.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really bad at this and I know it. I had a close call with some gravel in the middle of a turn, and now I find myself looking down all the time instead of looking through turns. Makes my turning stiff and slow 'cause I turn-look-turn-look. I know I do it, but I just can't make myself stop looking "because what if there is gravel or oil ontheroadandIdon'tseeandthenIcrashanddie and..."

Yeah. If I'm following another bike things go much better, because when I see that he/she doesn't crash I can relaxe and my turns are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

This illustrates why I was proper f*cked with my recent oil incident. It was a two-lane U with cars to the front, rear, and left, ending in a red light. I've probably gone through it a thousand times. I suppose a high side would have put me in the grass, which might have been a little softer, but I think the damage would have only swapped sides. Powering up was not an option on the table, unfortunately.

BTW--I've only been here a couple years or so, but does it seem like an above average # of petroleum-related escapades this year on SA? Are we seeing the results of the screw it, just add another quart school of deferred auto maintenance?

Scanning the turn as I go through it is what I usually do (even though I look ahead and scan it before I go through, I just flick my eyes down and double check it)- I don't really think of the turn so much as just .. do it .. unfortunately it was a fairly dark night and I couldn't really see the oil so that wasn't an option, the first I knew of it was when the bike started sliding.

• Locked thread