Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Raphus C posted:

This looks good. Nice job. Must be hard painting models and then giving them back. Like giving away children.

Surrogates get rights when they decide to keep the baby, why not hams?

Well, the money makes it worth it. Plus we made an agreement that if the army wins any prizes due to best paintjob, I get them. But that won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Phyresis posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/v/vehicle6thupdates.pdf

Here's the update for all of the forgeworld models, a lot of flyers and anti-air in the game now. I've only glanced at it but here are some things I saw: mortis contemptors gain skyfire if they don't move, the whirlwind hyperios has skyfire and interceptor. The Imperial flyers might be good, I'm going to look at the rules again.

Vulture gets +1 BS against ground targets and can turn on a dime. Welp, I know what I'm getting next.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh, hey, so does the Phoenix.

Hooray.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Vulture gets +1 BS against ground targets and can turn on a dime. Welp, I know what I'm getting next.

ahahahaha twin-linked punisher cannons at BS4?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How ace are defilers now ? Very or just a bit ? Not sure If I can be arsed to assemble and properly paint the spare one I have laying around.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is probably a bad idea, right?

code:
+++ No Name (2000pts) +++
+++ 2000pt Elysian Regiment (IA8) Roster (Standard) +++

Selections:

+ HQ + (90pts)

* Lord Commissar (90pts) 
        Bolt Pistol, Power weapon

+ Troops + (500pts)

* Elysian Veteran Squad (250pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Melta gun
        * Sergeant
            Laspistol, Power weapon
        * Valkyrie Airborne Assault Carrier
            Multilaser, Two multiple rocket pods

* Elysian Veteran Squad (250pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Melta gun
        * Sergeant
            Laspistol, Power weapon
        * Valkyrie Airborne Assault Carrier
            Multilaser, Two multiple rocket pods

+ Fast Attack + (1170pts)

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (390pts) 
        * Vendetta
            Twin-linked lascannon, Two twin-linked lascannons
        * Vendetta
        * Vendetta

* Vendetta
        * Vendetta
        * Vendetta

* Vendetta
        * Vendetta
        * Vendetta

+ Heavy Support + (240pts)

* Vulture Gunship (120pts) 
        Twin-linked autocannon, Two hellstrike missiles

* Vulture Gunship (120pts) 
        Twin-linked autocannon, Two hellstrike missiles

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also mortis contemptors get skyfire if they're stationary. Roll 6s to hit? More like roll 1s to miss.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

bhsman posted:

Am I the only one who wants to put an Iron Priest and a few Servitors in a Godhammer Land Raider and have it work as a mobile gun platform? :blush:

This works like a charm by the way. Invincible landraider! Not really worth the points though in 5th considering what else you could get for that much. However, now that glances can't shot you down and techmarines can also restore hullpoints it might be a little better.

Or putting him in a stormraven to make your air support more durable.

Nephilm posted:

godhammer LRs

Phobos pattern Landraider. Godhammer is the name of the lascannon.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 6, 2012

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

THEY LAUGHED WHEN I BOUGHT 3 VULTURES. lovely SKIMMERS, THEY SAID. PUNISHERS ARE BAD, THEY SAID.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

This is probably a bad idea, right?

It's a very bad idea. You automatically lose the game at the bottom of turn 1 because you have nothing on the table.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

It's a very bad idea. You automatically lose the game at the bottom of turn 1 because you have nothing on the table.

I could always start the lord commissar on the table by himself :shobon:

You can't start the veterans on the board not embarked? If so, drop a valkyrie for another vulture.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

How ace are defilers now ? Very or just a bit ? Not sure If I can be arsed to assemble and properly paint the spare one I have laying around.

I also would like to know this. I guess you can snapfire your Reaper at the same time as you're using the battle cannon, and use the heavy flamer in overwatch.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Fix posted:

I also would like to know this. I guess you can snapfire your Reaper at the same time as you're using the battle cannon, and use the heavy flamer in overwatch.

Awesome, but still x-box huge and av12 :(

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
To have all the latest rules for my army I need:

6th edition book
Codex
Imperial Armor Apocalypse 2nd edition
Encyclopedia Aeronautica
Relevant FAQs errata

Is this it as far as books go?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

You can't start the veterans on the board not embarked? If so, drop a valkyrie for another vulture.

You'd probably want at least one or two more troop choices, just for the sake of taking objectives. Maybe give one or two Vendettas Hellfury missiles, so they can clear units out of cover. And for god's sake, give the Vultures Punisher cannons. You could use the anti-infantry, and besides, if you're going to go crazy, you may as well go all out with the flying gatling guns.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

You can start the infantry on the table disembarked, but then you have to hope that your 21 T3 infantry models survive a turn of shooting.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

You can start the infantry on the table disembarked, but then you have to hope that your 21 T3 infantry models survive a turn of shooting.

Admittedly the idea of a bunch of guardsmen hiding in the bushes with a crazy commissar shooting any deserters and shouting over the comm about his "goddamn air support" is pretty rad.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

raverrn posted:

THEY LAUGHED WHEN I BOUGHT 3 VULTURES. lovely SKIMMERS, THEY SAID. PUNISHERS ARE BAD, THEY SAID.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

Oh god I forgot about that

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fix posted:

Admittedly the idea of a bunch of guardsmen hiding in the bushes with a crazy commissar shooting any deserters and shouting over the comm about his "goddamn air support" is pretty rad.

Oh totally. It's basically We Were Soldiers, but all the excessive religious overtones are actually appropriate.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Undead Tailfnz posted:

I'm putting a 1500 Point list together and I am at a bit of tricky spot. Should I run two 5-man Sternguard Squads, one in a Rhino, the other in a Drop Pod, or should I run one 10-man squad and shove them all into the same Drop Pod (not the Rhino because Chaplain Cassius is going to be riding with them)? And in a list with two Sternie Squads, should I bother running Tac Termies at all?

e: It's Vanilla Marines, I probably should have made that clear.

Sternguard in drop pods don't work for vanilla marines. They just don't. The idea is cool but in practice they'll kill a vehicle or do heavy damage to one unit and promptly die next turn. Better to, for the same price, pack them in a rhino to give them mobility and survibability to use them for best efffect (remember that you're paying... what was it, 20, 25? For a model that dies just like a tactical).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

Given that I can deploy terrain, I'm pretty sure I can get them in something that blocks LOS for a turn.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Nephilm posted:

Sternguard in drop pods don't work for vanilla marines. They just don't. The idea is cool but in practice they'll kill a vehicle or do heavy damage to one unit and promptly die next turn. Better to, for the same price, pack them in a rhino to give them mobility and survibability to use them for best efffect (remember that you're paying... what was it, 20, 25? For a model that dies just like a tactical).

I've had 10 man sternguard squads with combi weapons drop in my IG lines before. They combat squadded when they landed, so the 5 combi meltas wasted my Leman Russ squadron and the 5 combi flamers burned down the blob bubblewrapping them. It was nasty, but after that they were just a big obvious group of targets. Was a damaging shooting phase though.

Also I need to win the lottery so I can field a Thunderbolt squadron, god drat those are cool models.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Given that I can deploy terrain, I'm pretty sure I can get them in something that blocks LOS for a turn.

This is true. In fact, 6E encourages you to set up terrain to your advantage (good generals choose good battlefields and all). But at this point, why even bother with the valks. Use those points to put more bodies on the table. You still get the Charlie Don't Surf vibe, and you're not worrying about some lucky whirlwind shots tabling you on turn 1.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Read a cool rumour on a blog just now:

-GW FAQing all the FW units, making them 100% offical for regular play

-GW pushing for FW models/books to be sold in-store

-GW giving FW the go-ahead for official 'niche' Codices i.e. Salamanders

From here.

Excited about the Codex rumour, also the models/books in-store (where is the shelf space coming from?) so I can check for air-bubbled faces/missing parts, and flick through new IAs to see if they are relevant enough for purchase. Could be a load of horseshit though, also there is meant to be a couple IAs on the Heresey + models (more marines..) at the end of the year.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Blompkin posted:

Holy crap! Only 2 hull points? I didn't notice that. Good lord, that sucks.

I'll have to seriously rethink my list/strategy then.

Thanks for the heads up!

UUuuuuugh. 2 hull points? That's horrible. Those things were the lynchpin of my "If da big mek had intended us to ride bikes, he woulda chopped our feets off" style of play.

Have any kan/footslogging ork players made any sense of the new edition yet that isn't "buy lots of totally new models"?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Creepy Goat posted:

Read a cool rumour on a blog just now:

-GW FAQing all the FW units, making them 100% offical for regular play

-GW pushing for FW models/books to be sold in-store

-GW giving FW the go-ahead for official 'niche' Codices i.e. Salamanders

From here.

Excited about the Codex rumour, also the models/books in-store (where is the shelf space coming from?) so I can check for air-bubbled faces/missing parts, and flick through new IAs to see if they are relevant enough for purchase. Could be a load of horseshit though, also there is meant to be a couple IAs on the Heresey + models (more marines..) at the end of the year.

Forgeworld being sold in stores seems pretty unlikely, they don't seem like they're big enough of an operation to handle the increased production that would require. The other two points are plausible though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

and you're not worrying about some lucky whirlwind shots tabling you on turn 1.

The dumbest rule.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ghetto wormhole posted:

Forgeworld being sold in stores seems pretty unlikely, they don't seem like they're big enough of an operation to handle the increased production that would require. The other two points are plausible though.

I dunno, if they set up the store ordering computer that they use for Direct Order only stuff to also do Forgeworld, it could be possible. However I think for that to happen they'd have to actually invest in Forgeworld's infrastructure, staff, and casting equipment. Alternatively, they could export the casting to China, which I don't think they've done yet.So far GW has been content to ignore Forgeworld, for the most part.

If it's true, thank the lords for resolving that stupid "opponent's permission" crap, but I certainly hope they'd have some staff writer oversight because Forgeworld pumps out lovely rules on a much more consistent basis than even GW.

For all the promotion they've done of Forgeworld stuff lately, I'm reluctantly hopeful that this is the case. Maybe the success of Warhammer Forge (Has it been successful? I don't even know.) caught GW's eye. And to be fair, you can already order Forgeworld's books from GW's website, so it's plausible that an expansion to also carrying their models could happen as well.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 7, 2012

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ghetto wormhole posted:

The best thing would be to have the ability to place an order via your local store, so you don't have to spend more then the model itself to get it shipped.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

a regular of ours talked to GW

That sounds like some random dude talked to a redshirt and got 'inside info', which is always a recipe for stupidity.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Devlan Mud posted:

If it's true, thank the lords for resolving that stupid "opponent's permission" crap, but I certainly hope they'd have some staff writer oversight because Forgeworld pumps out lovely rules on a much more consistent basis than even GW.

I'm still a little bitter about forge world incendiary rounds, which if I remember correctly were just a straight point modification to your existing griffon (no FW purchase involved), and forced an automatic fallback on hit. 20 fearless warbikers off the table on turn 1, woop!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Devlan Mud posted:

They're already doing this in the most recent Imperial Armour books. They outright state "this is legal in game X" where X is a stamp for either 40k, Planetstrike, or Apocalypse. The only thing missing is a :dealwithit: smiley.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

The 'insider' also claimed GW want to open up a FW production facility in the US, so it's possible, depending on how legit the rumours are as Mango Polo pointed out.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They're already doing this in the most recent Imperial Armour books. They outright state "this is legal in game X" where X is a stamp for either 40k, Planetstrike, or Apocalypse. The only thing missing is a :dealwithit: smiley.

Oh, is THAT why people keep talking about stuff like Eldar Hornets as if they're part of the codex proper?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Creepy Goat posted:

The 'insider' also claimed GW want to open up a FW production facility in the US, so it's possible, depending on how legit the rumours are as Mango Polo pointed out.

This is the biggest hurdle. I'm 99% sure that all their casting is still like three guys in a bombed out building in England handling all their stuff. For something like this to happen they'd need to invest heavily into resin casting production. Like say, they did with Finecast! If Forgeworld stuff was converted to Finecast resin, I could see this happening absolutely, since they already spent a ton of money investing into it. I think I just made a connection here that could lend some credibility to this rumor.

And let's face it, Finecast would be an upgrade for Forgeworld's casting quality.

VVVV But you'd be much more likely to get all the parts for your finecast model as opposed to the current setup. :v:

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 7, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm sure there are photos of FW stuff cast with sprues like the Finecast models.

Based on my experience, Finecast would be somewhat worse. FW stuff has miscasts and warping regularly, but you also don't have air bubbles everywhere.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 7, 2012

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Well the new FW Terminators are Finecast, and my Asterion Moloc and Chaplain dude are suspiciously bendy and white, as opposed to the old brittle grey of FW resin.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fix posted:

The dumbest rule.

Eh, I can understand your sentiment, but I've played enough DoW games where my opponent has elected to go second and reserved everything to appreciate it. The game is about having a fight, not waiting for the other side to show up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Is that so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Eh, I can understand your sentiment, but I've played enough DoW games where my opponent has elected to go second and reserved everything to appreciate it. The game is about having a fight, not waiting for the other side to show up.

So you get an extra turn to maneuver and get into position? It's not like it slows the game down, quite to the contrary.

• Locked thread