Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Has anyone heard if this whole Apple lawsuit on the unified search is going to affect Jelly Bean & Google Now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

Has anyone heard if this whole Apple lawsuit on the unified search is going to affect Jelly Bean & Google Now?

PC World posted:

Patent Wars
The injunction on sales of the Galaxy Nexus is based on a patent relating to universal search on the phone, among three other patents, including slide to unlock, and word recommendations and auto correct. Google and Samsung are working on a software update, although the companies plan to argue in court that universal search on phones pre-dates Apple’s patent.

The software update will be rolled out to all Galaxy Nexus devices in the United States regardless or carrier, The Verge details. This will basically reduce the capabilities of the search bar on the home screen, limiting the results to just those from the Web. This would also mean that apps, emails, music, and so on will not appear in the results from the search bar, while voice search will be confined to Web results as well.

As the legal proceedings continue and the software update for the Galaxy Nexus is on the way, Google expects the Galaxy Nexus to go back on sale starting next week.

Even though the article only says Google Nexus I'd imagine it's easy to extend it to any other new/old google device, though I hope that's not going to happen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Have it delivered to your work.

I guess that works. I'll probably just have it shipped to where I'll be on vacation. I'll be staying with family.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Don Lapre posted:

It looks terrible.

How exactly should a list of comments look on a wide screen?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rotaryfun posted:

How exactly should a list of comments look on a wide screen?

Someone already posted twitters ipad app.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Someone already posted twitters ipad app.

Which looks like a cluttered mess.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Install Gentoo posted:

Which looks like a cluttered mess.

Only because they are showing every pane. normally you would see the left part and the twitter feeds, if you click a link it opens a web browser that you can slide in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJTXNfGHuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehVbbOi-klY

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Since people are mentioning the patent wars, this is interesting:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258789/htc_fends_off_apple_in_uk_patent_lawsuit_involving_slide_to_unlock_feature.html

quote:

A High Court in the U.K. has ruled that HTC did not infringe on Apple's photo management patent, while stating that three other patents Apple claimed in the lawsuit were invalid, according to HTC.

The three patents declared invalid, include Apple's "slide to unlock" feature, which Apple alleged HTC had infringed on in its smartphones and tablets.

A multi-touch software that Apple had claimed certain HTC devices using Android 2.3 had infringed on was also found not to be patentable, with the Judge declaring it to be computer program.
Not only were HTC found to not be infringing Apple's patents, the court also invalidated a bunch of their patents.

Doesn't this basically mean that those patents are worthless in other court cases now? At least in the UK, and possibly extending into Europe?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Possibly. It still has to survive appeals.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I called Google, and asked to change the address of my order. They said they can't, but if I cancel I can reorder and change my shipping address, however, they don't have any of the cases in stock. I won't be able to reorder it, so I'll just have it sent to my house and I'll ask someone to switch by my house and grab it for me.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I called Google, and asked to change the address of my order. They said they can't, but if I cancel I can reorder and change my shipping address, however, they don't have any of the cases in stock. I won't be able to reorder it, so I'll just have it sent to my house and I'll ask someone to switch by my house and grab it for me.

I've been successful a couple times by calling the company used to ship the package and asking for a different delivery address.

It doesn't always work but I've been successful several times. I even got Fedex to ship something to a different city with no charge before.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You can redirect a UPS 2day package without charge IIRC.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ilkhan posted:

You can redirect a UPS 2day package without charge IIRC.

You can sign up here and have UPS packages sent to the will call window at a depot instead, and that's no charge. Or you can pay 5 bucks and have it sent to a UPS store or a different address altogether.

http://www.ups.com/mychoice/

FedEx has a similar thing on their website, too, where you can have it redirected to the will call window for free.

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑
I was undecided on getting a Nexus 7, and now reading of the image persistence issue. I guess I'll take a wait and see approach.

Shame if it was in store as of now, or available. I would have gotten it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Rumbaar posted:

I was undecided on getting a Nexus 7, and now reading of the image persistence issue. I guess I'll take a wait and see approach.

Shame if it was in store as of now, or available. I would have gotten it.

Just an FYI, Google and ASUS are on record saying they can't reproduce the ghosting issue. I've also only seen a couple complaints about it, so some think it's probably just an issue with a limited number of I/O devices, which are pre-production units. Anything is possible though, so waiting isn't a bad approach. That said, I preorded mine anyway.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Does anyone know if the Nexus 7 allows Navigation turn-by-turn voice directions?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Siroc posted:

Does anyone know if the Nexus 7 allows Navigation turn-by-turn voice directions?

It does. Same maps/navigation app as any other android device.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IT Guy posted:

According to ABC News, yes. When the Galaxy Nexus returns to the Play Store next week, it'll have 4.1 and Google Now will be modified to remove local search on it.

So far, this is only for the Galaxy Nexus (confirmed by The Verge) and doesn't include the Nexus 7, Motorola XOOM, Nexus S, or Nexus S 4G.

However, The Verge also states that Google told them that it WON'T apply to JB and only ICS. But they may have decided to just put it on JB just in case Apple complains.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/07/galaxy-nexus-android-phone-banned-in-apple-samsung-patent-case/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/3/3136102/google-samsung-software-update-galaxy-nexus-infringement/in/2900691

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Zombie Rasputin posted:

Siroc posted:

Well, it's not exactly the same. JB supports inputting (and I believe outputting) voice commands without an internet connection (ICS and lower, you must have a wireless or cell signal). If you're riding in your car without a signal, with the JB enhancements to voice, will it be able to give you turn by turn? If I disable data on my SGSII and try Nav, it will not work.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Siroc posted:

quote:

Well, it's not exactly the same. JB supports inputting (and I believe outputting) voice commands without an internet connection (ICS and lower, you must have a wireless or cell signal). If you're riding in your car without a signal, with the JB enhancements to voice, will it be able to give you turn by turn? If I disable data on my SGSII and try Nav, it will not work.

i thought text to voice was always handled on the device. previously, voice to text was transmitted to the servers for processing, but one of the new things in JB was the offline use of voice to text, so I don't foresee any problems.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://androidcommunity.com/google-nexus-7-production-costs-estimated-at-184-20120706/

Apparently, the Nexus 7 costs an estimate of $184 to produce.

The 8GB version ($199) gives Google and ASUS a profit of about $15.

The 16GB version ($249) gives Google and ASUS a profit of about $55.

I'd say most people will buy the 16GB one, at least on Android-centered places so Google / ASUS will make a decent profit. Even the 8GB one will give them something...maybe like $5 after all is said and done?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

i thought text to voice was always handled on the device. previously, voice to text was transmitted to the servers for processing, but one of the new things in JB was the offline use of voice to text, so I don't foresee any problems.

This is correct. Text To Speech does not require a data signal, because it is technically easy (compared to the other way around).

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

quote:

Unless you pre-cached the maps for your route isn't it irrelevant anyways?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://androidcommunity.com/google-nexus-7-production-costs-estimated-at-184-20120706/

I'd say most people will buy the 16GB one, at least on Android-centered places so Google / ASUS will make a decent profit. Even the 8GB one will give them something...maybe like $5 after all is said and done?

Does Asus pay royalties to Microsoft yet?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Does Asus pay royalties to Microsoft yet?

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/06/googles-new-nexus-7-tablet-apparently.html

I did a check and according to this, Nokia and Microsoft both might want royalties but Nokia hasn't really done anything to ask for royalties, last I checked. The most Nokia has done is mention that they think Google is infringing on one of their patents for wifi.

Apparently, Microsoft has been pressuring ASUS and Acer to give them royalty money since 2010 but I don't know if they've actually managed to get anything.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-trying-to-prevent-Acer-and-Asus-from-adopting-Android-through-royalty-fees_id14177

It looks like, according to that first link, if anyone will have to pay royalties, it'd be Google. Maybe they won't make much profit after all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/06/googles-new-nexus-7-tablet-apparently.html

I did a check and according to this, Nokia and Microsoft both might want royalties but Nokia hasn't really done anything to ask for royalties, last I checked. The most Nokia has done is mention that they think Google is infringing on one of their patents for wifi.

Apparently, Microsoft has been pressuring ASUS and Acer to give them royalty money since 2010 but I don't know if they've actually managed to get anything.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-trying-to-prevent-Acer-and-Asus-from-adopting-Android-through-royalty-fees_id14177

It looks like, according to that first link, if anyone will have to pay royalties, it'd be Google. Maybe they won't make much profit after all.

Acer already pays royalties, so does LG, HTC, and Samsung.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Acer already pays royalties, so does LG, HTC, and Samsung.
Google makes more money from iOS than it does Android, and Microsoft makes more money from Android device sales than it does Windows Phone sales. What exciting times we live in.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-shipping-next-week-according-to-staples-20120706/

Looks like not only will the Nexus 7 be sold in stores but it'll ship July 12th.

Staples posted information that it will ship the Nexus 7 if you order it before July 10th from them between July 12th through the 17th and will arrive no earlier than July 13th (they say 2011, but an obvious typo).

It looks like it'll deliver in 1 to 3 business days.

Android Community also mentions that Google will be bringing back the Galaxy Nexus next week as well so we may see it on or around July 12th.

Based on this information, I'd say we'll see Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" on or around July 12th for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, Wifi Motorola XOOM, and GSM Nexus S.

GameStop will also be selling the Nexus 7 (16GB version) as well so there's more confirmation that the tablet won't be online only. GameStop will also pay a 30% trade-in bonus if you give them anything to put towards the preorder of a Nexus 7.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-gamestop-nexus-7-pre-orders-20120629,0,7306584.story

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Do those ship dates include the UK or is it US only?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm hopeful that if Staples is saying the 12th that Google will ship a day or two beforehand.

A 12th ship date with 2 day shipping would make me very sad since I have all my packages delivered to my office.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Verizian posted:

Do those ship dates include the UK or is it US only?

I think it's US only for right now, but if bull3964 is right and Google ships a day or two before, then you may get it around the same time those in the US do if Google does it all at or around the same time.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

clockworx posted:

Unless you pre-cached the maps for your route isn't it irrelevant anyways?

I am on a very restrictive data plan (200mb discontinued data plan from AT&T for $15/mo; I don't want to spend any more money right now than that on data). I'd love to precache an area on the Nexus 7 and it give as good voice navigation as my SGSII does when connected to data. I'm asking if this is possible with the new JB improvements.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Pre-cache the area while you are on wifi?
I'm not 100% on what the pre-cache gets you, but I think thats the way it works.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ASUS/status/220789183290159106

ASUS just posted the Nexus 7 covers.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Pre-cache the area while you are on wifi?
I'm not 100% on what the pre-cache gets you, but I think thats the way it works.

It makes the map available without need for a data connection. I was wondering if that will extend to Navigator and the voice improvements in JB.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Am I missing something or does that android community post just link to a TechInsights teardown that lists the "major components" without any prices, then android community somehow jumps to a final total BOM cost without breakdown of prices or any justification whatsoever?

Might want to wait for isuppli to do a proper analysis before drawing any conclusions.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

randyest posted:

Am I missing something or does that android community post just link to a TechInsights teardown that lists the "major components" without any prices, then android community somehow jumps to a final total BOM cost without breakdown of prices or any justification whatsoever?

Might want to wait for isuppli to do a proper analysis before drawing any conclusions.

tbh the Android community will say literally anything that supports their current viewpoint.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

tbh the Android community will say literally anything that supports their current viewpoint.

I think that goes for any community.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Siroc posted:

It makes the map available without need for a data connection. I was wondering if that will extend to Navigator and the voice improvements in JB.

I wouldn't put a ton of trust in Google Map's caching feature. Assuming you're in the US, you can get CoPilot Live Premium for 18 dollars. It's not as good as Google Maps/Navigation by a long shot, but if you can tolerate the perplexingly bad interface it's considered the best offline navigation for Android.
That having been said, as long as you stick to the map layer and don't pull down satellite imagery, Maps is pretty economical data-wise.
My job sends me to some far-flung places with either spotty coverage or no coverage so I can't depend on something that needs a data connection.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pot, kettle, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

randyest posted:

Is TechInsights not reliable? I've actually not heard of them before.

Granted, I've never heard of isuppli either.

From what I can tell, Android Community added up the parts that TechInsights listed. Is that what isuppli would do?