Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

SubG posted:

I think the house preparation in GWS is to clumsily wound the lobster before vivisecting it, rough chop the meat for some reason, then poach in butter until rubbery.

I'm not a fan of wounding so I do what I normally do with foods that move: stick it in a burlap sack and swing it relentlessly at a wall.

Still trying to defeat my old enemy Jell-O :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Sweet. A divisive topic that wasn't on the list!
Mine go head first in the boiling water as I cackle and masturbate.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Halalelujah posted:

I'm not a fan of wounding so I do what I normally do with foods that move: stick it in a burlap sack and swing it relentlessly at a wall.

Still trying to defeat my old enemy Jell-O :(

This might still be an effective tool for prison.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
As an adherent of New Nordic Cuisine I'dont want to destroy the natural and delicate flavours of the lobster by cooking it. Instead I consume it still alive and twitching, shell and all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Walk Away posted:

This might still be an effective tool for prison.
That's dumb. Where are you going to get a bag of lobsters in prison?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

SubG posted:

I have a really pretty mouth.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

He is saying that wishing people couldn't have dogs is ironic given how just as annoying and disruptive children can be in public to the people who are not their parents. Generally when children are annoying in public you can blame it more on the parents, just as when dogs are annoying it is seldom their fault but due to having bad owners.

Actually I had just gotten home from a bar were we sat next to some hipster couple who brought there yelling loving kid and then had the gall to complain about all the silent (and cuter than their kid) dogs that other people had brought.

What I am saying is that I hate kids and love dogs.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Actually I had just gotten home from a bar were we sat next to some hipster couple who brought there yelling loving kid and then had the gall to complain about all the silent (and cuter than their kid) dogs that other people had brought.

What I am saying is that I hate kids and love dogs.

Well you're allowed to feel that way. A lot of kids are awful. But let's not get into a debate about the finer details here.

SubG posted:

Have you ever actually smuggled a lobster in your butt hole? It's very invigorating.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Walk Away posted:

Have you ever actually smuggled a lobster in your butt hole? It's very invigorating.

I'm sure Richard Gere is familiar, though he may prefer rodents to crustaceans.

Fake edit: yada yada crusty achin' butt hole :mmmhmm:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I posted this in the Chinese food thread but thought people here might be interested too. A chinese show about chinese food culture and history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHNa9qdtlw

The subtitles are rather ropey but it's a great show.
edit: later episodes have more on the actual processes of cooking and preparation

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 7, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Walk Away posted:

Have you ever actually smuggled a lobster in your butt hole?
Not in mine, no.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

SubG posted:

Not in mine, no.

You promised that you wouldn't say anything.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NLJP posted:

I posted this in the Chinese food thread but thought people here might be interested too. A chinese show about chinese food culture and history:

Man, I am learning so much about favoring right now.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I ran into Geoffrey Zakarian in Niagara Falls today. He seemed like a decent guy. At least as much as one can judge in an awkward 2 minutes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hey, Phummus, I'm in Ontario too, on vacation with patents, having done family reunion stuff for brother's 40th. Had good lunch in Collingwood today.

Wife and i just took on parents at scrabble. They were winning. We got a J with the last letters. We made JOINTED on a triple to finish and win the game. Very satisfying way to end.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Phummus posted:

I ran into Geoffrey Zakarian in Niagara Falls today. He seemed like a decent guy. At least as much as one can judge in an awkward 2 minutes.

Given how Chopped is edited to look when he's on, I'd say you can judge a lot in an awkward 2 minutes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Okay what the poo poo is going on in that thread? :psyduck:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Look what you've done, Casu. You have driven an internet...person...to giant sperg posts.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahahah holy poo poo. Gigantic wall-o-text flood of nastiness from emeraldcity. It's the thread that keeps on giving.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

NLJP posted:

edit: later episodes have more on the actual processes of cooking and preparation

I just sat here mesmerized and watched that whole thing. That was really cool.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I just sat here mesmerized and watched that whole thing. That was really cool.

There's three more episodes on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgYUKPNCug "Staple Foods" (i.e grains)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxQ3j7ls1J0 "Transformation" (mostly fermentation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RETcZdsp1k "Taste of Time" (cures, pickles and preserving in general)

This series is so great.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That loving post...:allears:. "leader of a FURRY group trying to talk poo poo?" is so goddamn adorable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Manuel Calavera posted:

That loving post...:allears:. "leader of a FURRY group trying to talk poo poo?" is so goddamn adorable.

I have this image of you, sitting in a cave, sending videos to secret furry cells around the world, calling for the death of the non-furry infidel. Whilst wearing a tail.

The furpocalypse must end! Global Furhad!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I wouldn't call for any of your deaths ;-*

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
The last 8 or 10 times I've drunk red wine (basically during the last couple of months or so), I've had a bad reaction to it, getting nauseous and a rash - what the hell?

I've got no reaction to white wine...

Can you all of a sudden become allergic to red-wine?

Also - the kids had a summer project.. sorry for the lovely cell phone pics..

She is clearly considering the jugular!

And done!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Happy Hat posted:

The last 8 or 10 times I've drunk red wine (basically during the last couple of months or so), I've had a bad reaction to it, getting nauseous and a rash - what the hell?

As I understand it, you can gain or drop allergies at any time. It's okay though, we can be non-wine drinking buddies (I get a migraine whenever I have any amount of any wine).

Also you now look like the guy from Breaking Bad!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I was thinking more like this guy:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Also - the kids had a summer project.. sorry for the lovely cell phone pics..

She is clearly considering the jugular!

And done!

It's the sulfites, my mother has the same reaction which is why she drinks vodka by the gallon now.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's called being a big girl's blouse. Drink through it man.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

So many tasty chinese carbohydrates! :kimchi:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

It's called being a big girl's blouse. Drink through it man.
This is the correct answer. That's the only way to overcome allergies: show them who's boss.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halalelujah posted:

It's the sulfites, my mother has the same reaction which is why she drinks vodka by the gallon now.
sulfites are used in both red and white wines during cold stabilization. It could be a reaction to wood tannins, which are more prevalent in reds.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

sulfites are used in both red and white wines during cold stabilization. It could be a reaction to wood tannins, which are more prevalent in reds.

That was the word I was looking for! Tannins, misspoke earlier.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Then I should have the same reaction from anything that spends some time being stored on wood, right?

I will test this by drinking copious amounts of Whisky now.

Also, if I am to be referred to as a piece of female clothing, I would prefer it being some sort of small clothes rather than a blouse.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Happy Hat posted:

Then I should have the same reaction from anything that spends some time being stored on wood, right?

Also, if I am to be referred to as a piece of female clothing, I would prefer it being some sort of small clothes rather than a blouse.

Allergies are so funny. I was one of those kids that had a full checkerboard on their back at the allergy test, but now the only thing I still avoid is fluke and flounder.

Just be careful in case you get respiratory problems, HH. Those can get serious quickly; I should know, given that flounder sent me to the ER 3 times.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Spanx?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I would have never guessed that HH was a scary lumberjack type.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Hat posted:

No, the tannins come from the non-grape plant matter that is present when the grapes are being squeezed/fermented. Red wines will have more of the stems and even a few of the leaves present during the pressing and first fermentation, which is where tannins come in.

Which is not to say you shouldn't drink a lot of whisky!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

No, the tannins come from the non-grape plant matter that is present when the grapes are being squeezed/fermented. Red wines will have more of the stems ... which is where tannins come in.

Apparently there are tannins in stems but not in wood barrels :psyduck:

hint: there are tannins in whisk(e)y, it is what gives it it's color (although lesser whiskies get their color from E150a)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

Not conclusive, but they say tannins are a possible culprit. California reds also tend to be higher in tannins than French.

I once went to a wine festival in LA and ended up getting a hangover without getting drunk.