Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

doublegomez posted:

I completely agree, but in the grand scheme of things G Gundam would definitely be a super robot show on the basic principle of the pilot's burning soul being the measure of how powerful the robot is. The reason real/super classification is considered pointless is because real robots originated from super robots, so they tend to go back on themselves and draw ideas that would be more appropriate in a super robot show. As a result, things like EVA and several Gundams become what is now known as hybrid shows, which resulted in the classification being pointless because many super and real robot shows have elements of both. The only way to distinguish them is by the titular robot.

Even back in the 80's, Dunbine was blurring the barely-formed line with bug robots that run on the pilot's aura power. They could also grow to 10 times their size under the right circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I use super, real and hybrid the same way I use music and movie genres, as a vague descriptor based on my own personal feeling about a show overall. No hard lines as to what constituates what, and the term I apply to a given show might change from time to time since it's not something I put a lot of thought in to.

Then again, I only ever use them very occasionally since I only have one friend even slightly interested in mech shows, and only use them to sum up a show in a couple of words when he wants to know whether they're worth watching or not. Seems to work out for us both so far, since it gives him a vague idea of what a show's tone will be like and makes it easy for me to sum up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Miracon posted:

Even back in the 80's, Dunbine was blurring the barely-formed line with bug robots that run on the pilot's aura power. They could also grow to 10 times their size under the right circumstances.

Also Ideon was a super robot versus (horribly quirkily designed) real robots.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Miracon posted:

Aura was basically Newtypism but augmented, so if we wanted to we could trace it back to 0079 and seeing time itself.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

You know, when you think about it, Dai-Guard probably works as a better deconstruction of giant robot shows than Eva

Given that neither Evangelion nor Dai-Guard are deconstructions of anything, this is a meaningless statement.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Miracon posted:

And yet, everyone outside this thread I talk Dunbine with calls it a Real Robot show. People are weird.

Speaking of which, is Dunbine really worth hunting down and watching, on its own merits, anyway? I've never really been able to work up much hype for fantasy-medieval-but-with-motherfuckin'-robots shows.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Shaezerus posted:

And yet, everyone outside this thread I talk Dunbine with calls it a Real Robot show. People are weird.

Speaking of which, is Dunbine really worth hunting down and watching, on its own merits, anyway? I've never really been able to work up much hype for fantasy-medieval-but-with-motherfuckin'-robots shows.

It's got a few things that might surprise you. I know I didn't really have high expectations going in but I felt pretty good about watching it once I'd finished.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Shaezerus posted:

No, but primarily because you will pay more for each of the last three volumes than for the first nine combined, and it's just not worth that.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I walked into Dunbine expecting Escaflowne and I got Zeta Gundam, so take that as you will. No, I can't be bothered to do one of those pictures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunbine is kind of like Zeta Gundam except stupider in every way. I really want to like it but man, it's just a dumb show.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ImpAtom posted:

Dunbine is kind of like Zeta Gundam except stupider in every way. I really want to like it but man, it's just a dumb show.

I wish I could argue with you on this one because I DO like Dunbine, but yeah... I mean, unless you can handle 1980's Tomino, you won't get anything out of Dunbine.

Still some of my all-time favorite mechanical designs, though.

Speaking of 80's Tomino shows, maybe it's because msubs only releases an episode once every three-four months, but man has this last L-Gaim arc been slow and convoluted and... dumb. Such a weird show tonally too. It's like proto-Zeta Gundam in terms of plot, but proto-ZZ in terms of characters.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god this. Like most Tomino shows when he's depressed it has a lot of neat concepts and fights but everything else is just stupid. Shou had a good head on his shoulder and I liked him as a main character. But everyone else is just horribly stupid and worst of all the show just drags on and on.

Also it's not worth getting the DVDs because the last two go for like $200 each.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just rewatched Gurren Lagann because I have xbox live gold and watching it is free.

drat I forgot all of the phalic humor in the begining, I'm not sure a 3 episode test would really give you the right image. The ending also gave me some New Getter vibes, but with way less :smith:

That said, even though I think it's not one of my top mecha shows, it will always have a place in my heart due to the dialogue/monologues "don't believe in the me who believes in you but believe in the you who believes in yourself"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

drat I forgot all of the phalic humor in the begining, I'm not sure a 3 episode test would really give you the right image.

It's not like there's any less phalic humor in the rest of the show.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You don't even get to the get to the hot springs episode if you only watch 3. So I am not entirely sure what you are talking about.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Lostconfused posted:

You don't even get to the get to the hot springs episode if you only watch 3. So I am not entirely sure what you are talking about.

Maybe that one is the worst, but "Become big... become big..." followed by the drill popping up through the legs would have really put me off if I hadn't seen some of the upcoming robo-moments I was working my way towards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like the show is subtle about Drill = literal and figurative manhood in pretty much every sense of the word. G-L is many things but subtle is at the bottom of the list most of the time. (Which makes it weirder when it is subtle.)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not like there's any less phalic humor in the rest of the show.

It seems to switch focus from phalic drills to Yoko's breasts not long after Kamina dies. Literally every time she starts talking it's a close up of her tits bouncing for no reason.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nasgate posted:

It seems to switch focus from phalic drills to Yoko's breasts not long after Kamina dies. Literally every time she starts talking it's a close up of her tits bouncing for no reason.

It's probably just your imagination. The show is drills and tits from start to finish.

But if you all want to talk about phallic symbols then lets not forget this thing.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 13, 2012

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Well I was talking about the primary focus, It started out as drills and tits, then went to tits and drills.

The only cosplay someone should do from TTGL is naked Simon so you can have a big rear end drill covering your crotch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

Well I was talking about the primary focus, It started out as drills and tits, then went to tits and drills.

The only cosplay someone should do from TTGL is naked Simon so you can have a big rear end drill covering your crotch.

This would majorly piss off anyone who went as the guy from Dead Leaves.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
http://tamashii.jp/special/mazingerZ/

30cm tall Soul of Chogokin Mazinger Z, with removable armor, moving pistons, lights, sounds and it's own garage. And all for only around $460 :cry:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

30cm tall Soul of Chogokin Mazinger Z, with removable armor, moving pistons, lights, sounds and it's own garage. And all for only around $460 :cry:

HOLY poo poo!

When I heard there was another Mazinger coming out I thought it'd just be another retool of the regular sized one.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

tsob posted:

:stare:

My financial aid surplus for the next school year cannot possibly arrive fast enough.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That figure is absolutely bonkers.

Can...can we someday get some kinda stop-motion SRW'ish show featuring the like of these sorts? The quality is just unreal and I'd imagine they will only continue to improve.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Only if this bad boy can stomp on at least five Zakus.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Can...can we someday get some kinda stop-motion SRW'ish show featuring the like of these sorts?
Instead of stop-motion I was thinking it could be done in Gerry Anderson style supermechanation. You could even get Brian May to do the theme song.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Uh, it sort of already exists, the "What is That" shorts on youtube are pretty much this..Video

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

Only if this bad boy can stomp on at least five Zakus.

Not a fan of the fact that the Big O is shiny, I prefer flat black. But it does have the car-in-foot thing goin on which is hella rad.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Not a fan of the fact that the Big O is shiny, I prefer flat black. But it does have the car-in-foot thing goin on which is hella rad.

Well there is always the Soul of Chogokin version. Honestly I am shocked that there is at least one, let alone two, very expensive and highly detailed Big O figure.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Is there a checklist someplace of all that is, and has yet to have, representation on the insane Chogokin figure side of things and such? That Big O one looks pretty boss as per usual.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Is there a checklist someplace of all that is, and has yet to have, representation on the insane Chogokin figure side of things and such? That Big O one looks pretty boss as per usual.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want a list of all the Soul of Chogokin figures, or a review site, or what?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, a solidly wrought list of all that they've done so far in terms of series and whanot would be stellar. I would reckon there's still a great many they've not gotten around to even with as many years as they've been hard at it, so I can't help but wonder.

We've got Mazinger Z and it is looking ace, but what of like Baratack, or Ordian, and all manner of other crazy things? Like the SRW Improvement Phenomenon, I would reckon an awesome figure such as these can enrich even the most marginal Supers and such a good hit higher.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, a solidly wrought list of all that they've done so far in terms of series and whanot would be stellar. I would reckon there's still a great many they've not gotten around to even with as many years as they've been hard at it, so I can't help but wonder.

We've got Mazinger Z and it is looking ace, but what of like Baratack, or Ordian, and all manner of other crazy things? Like the SRW Improvement Phenomenon, I would reckon an awesome figure such as these can enrich even the most marginal Supers and such a good hit higher.

A solid SRC Govarian or Liger would make me a happy, happy man.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For those not paying attention, there's a new Simulwatchathon going, and we're going to be watching super robot mommy anime Gunbuster.

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kh7uBEJbnE

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Hey, hold on, come back here. You can't just post that and run off. What is this from? Some preview for a new Combattler show? (I know this isn't the case but hey, let a guy dream)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Hey, hold on, come back here. You can't just post that and run off. What is this from? Some preview for a new Combattler show? (I know this isn't the case but hey, let a guy dream)

New footage for a Combattler-themed Pachinko machine.

Which I guess sometimes lead to new animes, didn't that new Fist of the North Star film series start because they had some FotNS pachinko machines that were really popular?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I want a Combattler V movie so bad after that video.

You could cut the first 26 episodes into a two hour movie easy and if it looked anything like that it would be great. Come on Toei don't let pachinko players have all the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Oh holy crap I take back everything bad I've ever said about Combattler V. It turns out I'm easily swayed by good animation quality and modern-sounding music! I was the bad guy all along! :negative:

I find funny how they don't really hide that it basically shoots giant cock missiles.

• Locked thread