Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Average payout of 20 grand? Jesus I only got like $400.

Didn't this happened a while ago? I'm surprised the media is just learning about it now in all honesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Yeah, we found out about this a bunch of months ago. An extra 4k is pretty drat good. I'm pretty sure I remember our clerks saying the payouts will start in September or October.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
How far does this go back? I got out in November, do I get money?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Samu posted:

Average payout of 20 grand? Jesus I only got like $400.

How long have you been in? They give you a week's pay for every year served.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

How long have you been in? They give you a week's pay for every year served.

He went through basic in this thread. (Dude seems legit anyways, though. Love you Samu. Totally homo.)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

How far does this go back? I got out in November, do I get money?

I'm curious about this as well. Is this on top of the payout I already received when I got out?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ive been out for 2 years, but would love to suck on that government tit for a few more bucks.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I can't think of anyone who'd turn down free money.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Woah.

Is this tax free? Otherwise, I'm losing at least 1k.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Barrakketh posted:

Woah.

Is this tax free? Otherwise, I'm losing at least 1k.

My understanding is that the payment is an acceleration of severance that you would have gotten when you left the army. Therefore it is employment income, and taxable under the income tax act.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 8, 2012

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
I can't imagine it would apply if you're already out. It's a payment in exchange for giving up future severance benefits. Just now people with less than 10 years get it because they could be planning on staying long enough that they would've received it. And yes, it is taxable income.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

My understanding is that in exchange for a pay bump, there's no more time going towards your severance pay.

You can still choose to get it when you get out, but the only time you'll get compensated for is from when you joined until now. If you joined five years ago, you'll get five weeks when you get out, BUT you'll get it at the rank you have when you get out.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

quote:

You can still choose to get it when you get out, but the only time you'll get compensated for is from when you joined until now. If you joined five years ago, you'll get five weeks when you get out, BUT you'll get it at the rank you have when you get out.

Just another 14 years to go then. :unsmith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Figured this would be the place to ask.

A friend is considering a civilian job at CFB Trenton, but isn't from the area. What's the area like? Is moving there a tremendously bad idea?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Figured this would be the place to ask.

A friend is considering a civilian job at CFB Trenton, but isn't from the area. What's the area like? Is moving there a tremendously bad idea?
Trenton is nice. All the amenities you need are either in Trenton or 10 minutes away in Belleville. Housing is pretty reasonable. Moving there isn't a bad idea at all.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Coincidentally enough, I'm going to Trenton next week for Aircrew Selection!

On a simillar note, I've made it through to the Aircrew Selection phase! CFAT/Medical/Interview are all done and the Lt.(N) that did my interview told me I have a very competitive application. Now I have to make sure I don't screw up at Trenton!

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Can we talk about Safety Briefs? I know at my unit it is becoming such a joke seeing that as a bunch of paper pushers with no special or unique no safety issues. They have one a week and literally every topic has been covered. I even had an overly cheerful girl from P.E.I show me how to put a condom on a banana...

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

scaper exile posted:

I even had an overly cheerful girl from P.E.I show me how to put a condom on a banana...

Ill ask the question were all thinking. Was she hot?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

Desi posted:

Coincidentally enough, I'm going to Trenton next week for Aircrew Selection!

23-27?
I'll be there, too. Small internet!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's awesome. I don't know any aircrew, good luck guys.

I always wanted to be a door gunner on a Griffon, but it turns out those are reservists out of some place in Saskatchewan.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I always wanted to be a door gunner on a Griffon,

I'm pretty sure everyone wants to be a door gunner. I mean, rolling around in a helicopter everywhere and your sole task is to shoot stuff? Pretty rad.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

All two of the door gunners I've seen we're wearing the ppcli hat badge.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Attire Irony posted:

23-27?
I'll be there, too. Small internet!

Hah, nice! See you in Trenton! I'm coming in from Ottawa by train, arriving at Belleville 15:20. I don't want to post my actual name here, but so you know who I am when we get there, my initials are SD.

Frosted Flake posted:

That's awesome. I don't know any aircrew, good luck guys.

Thanks! Here's hoping it goes well, a second kick at the can will probably not be feasible for me since I'd have to get a commercial pilot's license which would cost almost $15k...

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

scaper exile posted:

Can we talk about Safety Briefs? I know at my unit it is becoming such a joke seeing that as a bunch of paper pushers with no special or unique no safety issues. They have one a week and literally every topic has been covered. I even had an overly cheerful girl from P.E.I show me how to put a condom on a banana...

10 minute presentation on how to chalk tires? Or how to properly get in a canoe? Yes loving please

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Desi posted:

Thanks! Here's hoping it goes well, a second kick at the can will probably not be feasible for me since I'd have to get a commercial pilot's license which would cost almost $15k...

No advice from me, but something you and your little syndicate (you're grouped alphabetically with a few others to do your runs) should agree to is not to celebrate when you get your results - it makes it pretty lovely for the folks who fail. I did a pretty enthusiastic fist pump but immediately felt bad because the guy next to me started sobbing.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

Ill ask the question were all thinking. Was she hot?

She was 19, had the maturity of a 14 year old and looked about 12...So no.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

compressioncut posted:

No advice from me, but something you and your little syndicate (you're grouped alphabetically with a few others to do your runs) should agree to is not to celebrate when you get your results - it makes it pretty lovely for the folks who fail. I did a pretty enthusiastic fist pump but immediately felt bad because the guy next to me started sobbing.

You know, as obvious as your advice sounds now having read it, I probably would have let out an "Oh gently caress yeah!" or something without even thinking about that. I'll make sure to bring that up with the "syndicate" just before we get our results and keep my celebrating internal. Thanks!

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
sur yes sur

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 24, 2014

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

AKP posted:

Is it possible to just do basic training or do you have to enroll into something afterwards?

Um. Well. Yeah, you do.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
sur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sur

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

AKP posted:

I was just interested in doing the training.

Ok well, serious post I guess. Your question seems retarded to me but maybe I just don't get where you're coming from. When you sign up, you're already being recruited into a specific trade (job) that the Canadian Forces has a need for and you're signing up for a minimum of 3 to 5 years. You're paid to do basic training so they're going to want to see some return on investment.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
SUR

YAS

SUR!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AKP posted:

I wasn't sure, thanks. I'm only interested for the disciplinary aspect.

haha then BMQ is not for you. It's not all running and pushups and poo poo.
There's a lot of powerpoints, learning how to wear your uniform, etc.

There are "booty bootcamps" in pretty much every city, I'm sure they're co-ed.

Plus, I bet a fine upstanding guy like you would end up in "Warrior Preparation Company".

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

All two of the door gunners I've seen we're wearing the ppcli hat badge.

I havn't checked on this in three or four years, but last time I talked to dudes to whom it was relevant, the door gunners in Edmonton were (almost?) all Patricias, and I met a Strat Warrant who said he did something to do with managing door gunners or some poo poo.

The dudes I talked to said cruising around and machine gunning poo poo is badass, but apparently the air force side of poo poo drives most of them crazy, and since the gun is on the bird, they aren't allowed to service themselves, on account of it being part of the aircraft. Which is loving mind boggling. Any gun I'mma use regularly I want to know every little burr and divot. Especially the c6. It's only really at its best if you can take really good care of it.

Again, my info is a couple years old at this point.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I found this article saying they're reservists. So I guess it would be listed on forces.ca with the other jobs open to reservists? I don't really poke around because I already have a job, but this would be pretty sweet.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=5182

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

As far as I know it's not a trade, but a position you volunteer for. Like I said earlier. The two dudes I saw who were door gunners were picklies from I think 1VP

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sorry that's what I mean. Forces.ca has that section for reservists to sub in for people on deployment and maternity leave, maybe it's listed there.

There are a lot of positions in the Forces that you can't jump right into. A buddy of mine wanted to be a flight engineer, and the recruiter talked him into signing on as an AVN tech.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

AKP posted:

I wasn't sure, thanks. I'm only interested for the disciplinary aspect.

Just join up and VR before the last week. Make sure you go into it by telling your instructors you plan on VRing so you get all the discipline you need. You'll wait 4 or 5 months with your thumb up your rear end hating your life and cursing yourself for making a terrible decision, but hey, at least you get that sweet $600 pay check every 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

(Seriously though don't join the army unless you are actually committed to being in the CF)

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
sur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sursur yes sur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Voluntary release. Basically your two weeks notice that takes a month, if you're lucky/have a good reason.