Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks for all these sweet recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've never heard of Girls, but it totally sounds like a Junji Ito story. Is it at all similar?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Kabz posted:

Thanks for all these sweet recommendations!

Seconding King City (it's ~$11 on Amazon for over 400 pages of amazing comics). If you like science-fiction at all, even a little, you're going to want to give Prophet a shot too.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Is this where we talk about the Monkeybrain books? Because Bandette sure was fun.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Was Taters posted:

Is this where we talk about the Monkeybrain books? Because Bandette sure was fun.

I didn't think these dropped til tomorrow?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

bairfanx posted:

I didn't think these dropped til tomorrow?

You could buy them through Comixology yesterday. I think they decided to release while the hype was high, which is just brilliant :)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I found Bandette a little disappointing, but Edison Rex was amazing.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Yeah ok I guess I'll talk about this.

Dinosaurs vs Aliens

Words: Grant Morrison

Art: Mukesh Singh & Liquid Studios

It's...uh...yeah. Dinosaurs vs Aliens. The story follows a group of aliens forced to land on earth after traveling for centuries. They come in contact with the dinosaurs and one thing leads to another and they are fighting.

I guess the story doesn't really matter too much, but then why bother getting Grant Morrison to write it if Barry Sonnenfeld's vision doesn't extend much beyond a little kid playing in a sandbox with action figures? I dunno.

All the dinosaurs all have horns and headdresses and stuff strapped to their bodies somehow and they never explain how. It makes them look kind of neat but dinosaurs already look pretty cool as any 9 year old boy will tell you. The art in general is pretty nice though. The storytelling isn't really amazing but everything looks like it should.

The biggest problem with it though is that it's just part 1 with part 2 not even announced yet. There's barely any dinosaur vs aliens at all as we spend a huge chunk of the book setting up a reason for them to fight and you end up spending 20 dollars for like 62 pages of comic without an ending.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 4, 2012

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never heard of Girls, but it totally sounds like a Junji Ito story. Is it at all similar?

It's basically an invasion plot.
The invaders = hot girls who want to kill all the women in this small town.

The characterization is great and I enjoy the art.

I'm looking for books that are a little hosed up, with a sci/fi or monster twist.
I want stories that move me.
I think some of these recommendations might change the way I think of comics, since I've been away from this world for so long. But I have a bunch for now, and I'm always looking for more since I'll rip through this books within a couple weeks

Kabz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 5, 2012

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Have you tried Locke & Key? That's pretty hosed up, and there are all sorts of supernatural shenanigans. If not, you might want to try an Alien comic.
edit:
The goon Xenomrph has done a really good go through of the Alien, Predator, and AvP comics. I'm sure you could find something here. For everyone else, I haven't read these, but Xenomrph seems to know his poo poo, so if you like anything Alien and/or Predator, this list might help:

Xenomrph posted:

Here's a list of all the Aliens, Predator, and AvP omnibuses (omnibi?) and what's contained in them. I've put a * next to each thing in each omnibus that's worth reading, with more * meaning it's one of my favorites.

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 1
- Outbreak (#1-6)*
- Nightmare Asylum (#1-4) **
- Female War (#1-4)
- Theory of Alien Propagation (DHP #24) *
- The Alien (DHP #56) *

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 2
- Genocide (#1-4)
- Harvest (Previously Aliens: Hive #1-4)
- Colonial Marines (#1-10)

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 3
- Rogue (#1-4)
- Sacrifice (one-shot) **
- Labyrinth (#1-4) ***
- Salvation (one-shot) **
- Advent/Terminus (DHP #42-43) *
- Reapers (DHP Fifth Anniversary Special) **
- Horror Show (DHC #3-5)

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 4
- Music of the Spears (#1-4)
- Stronghold (#1-4)
- Frenzy (#1-4 - Previously Aliens: Berserker)
- Taste (one-shot) *
- Mondo Pest (one-shot) *
- Mondo Heat (one-shot) *

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 5
- Alchemy (#1-3) *
- Kidnapped (#1-4)
- Cargo (DHC #15-16)
- Survival (#1-3) **
- Alien (DHC #17-19) ***
- Earth Angel (one-shot)
- Incubation (DHP #101-102) **
- Havoc (#1-2) *
- Lovesick (one-shot)
- Lucky (Decade of DH #3) **

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 6
- Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels (#1-4) ***
- Once in a Lifetime (DHP #140)
- Xenogenesis (#1-4)
- Headhunters (DHP #117) *
- Tourist Season (DHC Annual 1997)
- Pig (one-shot) *
- Border Lines (DHC #121)
- 45 Seconds (Aliens: Special) **
- Elder Gods (Aliens: Special) **
- Purge (one-shot)
- Glass Corridor (one-shot) *
- Stalker (one-shot) *
- Wraith (one-shot)

Aliens versus Predator Omnibus: Volume 1
- Aliens vs. Predator (#1-6) **
- Blood Time (one-shot - Previously AVP: War #0) **
- Duel (#1-2) ***
- War (#1-4)
- Eternal (#1-4) **
- Old Secrets (AVP Annual #1) ***
- The Web (DHP #146-147)

Aliens versus Predator Omnibus: Volume 2
- Deadliest of Species (#1-12)
- Booty (one-shot)
- Hell-bent (AVP Annual #1) *
- Pursuit (AVP Annual #1)
- Lefty's Revenge (AVP Annual #1)
- Chained to Life and Death (AVP Annual #1) **
- Genocide (#1-4 - Previously AVP: Xenogenesis)

Predator Omnibus: Volume 1
- Concrete Jungle (#1-4) **
- Cold War (#1-4)
- Dark River (#1-4)
- Rite of Passage (DHC #1-2 - Also Predator: Jungle Tales)
- The Pride at Nghasa (DHC #10-12 - Also Predator: Jungle Tales)
- The Bloody Sands of Time (#1-2)
- Blood Feud (DHC #4-7)

Predator Omnibus: Volume 2
- Big Game (#1-4)
- God's Truth (DHP #46) *
- Race War (#1-4)
- The Hunted City (DHC #16-18)
- Blood On Two-Witch Mesa (DHC #20-21)
- Invaders From The Fourth Dimension (one-shot)
- 1718 (Decade of DH #1) ***

Predator Omnibus: Volume 3
- Bad Blood (#1-4) *
- Kindred (#1-4) **
- Hell and Hot Water (#1-3) *
- Strange Roux (one-shot) *
- No Beast So Fierce (?) *
- Bump In the Night (?)

Predator Omnibus: Volume 4
- Primal (#1-2)
- Nemesis (#1-2)
- Homeworld (#1-4) **
- Xenogenesis (#1-4)
- Hell Come a Walkin' (#1-2) ***
- Captive (one-shot) ***
- Demon's Gold (DHP #137) **

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 4, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Just read October Girl and Edison Rex and was not incredibly impressed. It's really difficult to write a story that isn't either boring or unexplained when you have 10 pages for their first issue. I'll be along for the ride, as the $1 is a pretty great price point, but drat if I didn't think there needed to be more to try to hook new readers on these two at least.

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010
Title: Crossed
Publisher: Avatar
Brief description: Imagine a zombie type outbreak where instead of mindless shambling bodies, the infected are intelligent and pure evil. For some reason that is only speculated on but yet to be answered (and, I'm not sure will ever be answered), an infectious condition has surfaced that makes the infected develop a mysterious cross shaped rash on their face and act on their darkest and most depraved desires. Nearly everyone on earth appears to have either been turned into one of the Crossed, or brutally raped and murdered by one. The series follows groups of survivors of the initial outbreak as they try desperately to just stay alive for one more day.
Why I like it: Crossed is something that I'm completely disgusted by but can't bring myself to look away from. I was first introduced to it when I flipped through the TPB at my local comic shop. Not in my wildest nightmares was I expecting some of the imagery that greeted me. Imagine the most hosed up thing you can and some of the events in Crossed will be either that or likely worse. I didn't pick it up at that time, however I really couldn't stop thinking about it and eventually went back and read through the first volume out of a morbid curiosity.

Unlike a lot of apocalyptic end-of-world scenarios where surviving a zombie outbreak serves as some sort of wish fulfillment venue for the reader, Crossed wants you to realize just how much of a hell on earth situation that would actually be. There are no reinforcements. It is not glamorous. The best you can hope for is a painless death later rather than sooner. At times it's darkly humorous (I believe there was one point where the main character said something to the effect of "This isn't a comic book! There are no happy endings here!") and after the first series I think the violence got a little too off the wall absurd, but I liked the original Garth Ennis/Jacen Burrows run because it made me feel genuinely uneasy and terrified.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Go with the original TPB by Garth Ennis. If you'd like to take it for a test drive you can read the free preview here. I've read almost all of the stuff that has come since then, but this is still my favorite. Honestly I didn't really like Crossed: Family Values or Crossed: Psychopath, but there is currently a weekly web comic based in the Crossed universe at http://www.crossedcomic.com that I'm actually enjoying quite a bit. I think my only complaint about Crossed is that it can be pretty emotionally draining. This is some pretty nihilistic fare and it's only been getting more so with each series.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I'm a pretty big Top Cow fan and Silvestri just announced a Cyberforce mini-series for October. The article I read though said that he's releasing it for free, both in digital and print form. I don't even know how that's going to work, but I got really excited. Until they said Khoi Pham on art. Can't win them all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is this where we talk about Manhattan Projects? Because I need to talk about Manhattan Projects. I am running out of platitudes to describe this book.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Shageletic posted:

Is this where we talk about Manhattan Projects? Because I need to talk about Manhattan Projects. I am running out of platitudes to describe this book.

I've probably already said that I think it's great, but hey, it is. I've seen it as a place Hickman can get a lot of his crazy science ideas out that you see hints of in his FF run for example. The Einstein reveal and multiple reality angle shown in the latest issue have really sealed the deal for me though; I can't wait to see where it all goes. The art's also pretty great and the limited use of color really helps accent scenes in great ways.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
I cannot wait for our universe Einstein to show up with other universe tech to wreak havok over his counterpart.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I picked up the launch titles for Monkeybrain over the weekend and I've been kind of pent up thinking about them over the last few days. I hadn't really caught onto the story over the week so I was sort of blindsided by it's feature on ComicsAlliance but I'm honestly quite excited about this.

They each did better-or-worse for the first issue but all the books have great pitches and I'm on board for all five as it stands. I'll certainly give all future titles at least a first issue.

I'm going to try not to be gushy and verbose.

Bandette - By far my personal standout, this Hanna-Barbara-infused adventure stars a bright and troublesome teen thief and her bandwagon/team/entourage as they (presumably) rob from the wicked and live to be free. Or something like that. Colleen Coover's art is pretty much to die for. I've read some stuff Tobin's written but nothing impressed me like this. They (obviously) work very well together. Even for such a short page count this is a fun, fluid book. The hook for the following issue involves Bandette's invention in a hostage situation at a bank and I'm 100% sure it's going to be a lot of fun, so I'm there. I don't really care about it's price-point argument but there are some good thoughts in the BC article. A+

Aesop's Ark - There are pages in this book that are simply magical. It's a great high-concept, fables on the ark, and the art can be absolutely stunning, beyond stunning even. Netflix already knows how I feel about Jim Henson's The Storyteller and this fulfills a similar taste. If I have any complaints it's that my eyes hate looking at the lettering. It's actually really cool and the first page is gorgeous but I think I might rather see this use ink and drop the use of word-bubbles. Torres a delivers really solid script and Jennifer Meyer's art is off-the-charts. I'm hoping she plays with background more. There are some places where the backgrounds feel abritary, which shouldn't be the case with such a fascinating setting, and the last two pages do read pretty hokey but I'm way more on board with this than I expected and can't wait to see this book continue. A

Edison Rex - This could prove to be a really good book. It's got a ton going for it. A pretty singular take on the villain-triumphant story it absolutely uses it's familiar archetypes well. I love what the art's doing but there are a few places where I'm taken out of the book... The page where Valiant refers to his bloodlust comes to mind. But it's a great style that Culver can only continue to sharpen. Roberson does a pretty masterful job luring the reader into the trap. In hindsight, sure, but I hadn't read the premise... so Lex Luthor is going to put on his best Tom Strong after being shaken by the truth of Superman? By that alone this could be a fun ride and I'm going to be it some time to stretch it's legs. B

October Girl - At a first glance, I think I warmed the least to this book but I see a lot of potential in it. It's got good art, I love the concept, but after reading the other launch titles, it wasn't nearly as filling. Smith's done a great job setting up Autumn's character and predicament and his art really does set the tone but the story only really moves a beat and I feel like I would have enjoyed more.C

Amelia Cole and the Unknown World -I'm not a big fan of the art on this one... and there are places where the script doesn't feel all together ... but I do actually like the promise of this book. I don't know if I'll be able to say the thing two issues from now but the story takes its influences and moves them to the point beyond their usual station in such a way that I'm pretty intrigued. A magical teen heroine, Amelia Cole loses not one, but two worlds, in thirty pages. There's a lot of good imagination here and I'll check out the next issue to see how it develops. C

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Wild Children, by Alex Kot and Riley Rossmo drops tomorrow. It's ~65 pages or so for $8 and is basically The Invisibles pt. 2. It won't be for everyone, but holy poo poo is it wonderful if you dug The Invisibles or Casanova or other comics that seriously dabbled in the weird.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I just read Chew volumes 2 through 5 and enjoyed it a ton. Great stories, and really fun for something that could really morbid considering the superpowers...

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

FAT BATMAN posted:

I just read Chew volumes 2 through 5 and enjoyed it a ton. Great stories, and really fun for something that could really morbid considering the superpowers...

I definitely agree. Based on recommendations both here and by the girl behind the counter at the comic store, I gave this a shot recently and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Big Top Shelf digital sale. They're selling Underwater Welder early, for :10bux:. If you care okay reading comics on the computer or a tablet or your phone, you really need to pick this up. It's super.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/news/837#digitaldebuts

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Two arcs finished and I'm ready to come out and say it: Brian Wood is the best Conan writer since Roy Thomas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Two arcs finished and I'm ready to come out and say it: Brian Wood is the best Conan writer since Roy Thomas.

That's some high praise, I'll have to check his Conan out. I generally tend to just wish I was reading Savage Sword instead when I pick up Dark Horse Conan stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LCQC posted:

Burn every one of those books.

Buy King City.

Don't burn all of them, just The Walking Dead.

Actually just burn all but two. Read the second one over and over again. You'll never know the difference.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Shageletic posted:

I bought the first issue but dropped it because it felt like it was rehashing themes I'd read 10 years ago in "Planetary." Not saying I thought it was bad, just too familiar. How is it a few issues in?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toomanyninjas posted:

I bought the first issue but dropped it because it felt like it was rehashing themes I'd read 10 years ago in "Planetary." Not saying I thought it was bad, just too familiar. How is it a few issues in?

It's really good and I don't think it's anything like Planetary. It's Hickman's usual weird "let's build a history" thing operating in the framework of the Manhattan Project with a heavy dose of pulp sci-fi.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the concepts and characters behind MP but I have no idea where it's going. We've gone from WWII to alien contact. All the characters are pretty hosed up in an interesting way but there's no overarching plot or point to the story, just a framework for the ensemble cast.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

al-azad posted:

I like the concepts and characters behind MP but I have no idea where it's going. We've gone from WWII to alien contact. All the characters are pretty hosed up in an interesting way but there's no overarching plot or point to the story, just a framework for the ensemble cast.

That's the appeal IMO. It's this crazy group of geniuses in an alternate reality, doing whatever Hickman dreams up. If it falls into a traditional comic-book narrative structure I'm out.

And I would agree that it's almost nothing like Planetary. Even the first issue I don't see the comparison.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

petewhitley posted:

That's the appeal IMO. It's this crazy group of geniuses in an alternate reality, doing whatever Hickman dreams up. If it falls into a traditional comic-book narrative structure I'm out.

And I would agree that it's almost nothing like Planetary. Even the first issue I don't see the comparison.

Maybe but I feel the comic is going to be lacking without a major payoff. The first issue contains a character revelation that would normally be saved for the climax of any other story. Each issue basically relies on the gimmick of something insane happening and I feel without a conventional narrative it's going to run out of steam soon. You have this ensemble cast of quirky characters but no direction or any reason for them to work together.

I feel like the current issue is setting up a plot. There are too many established events now to instantly jump to another character next issue. Einstein's the last character to get a backstory and the genocidal aliens are clearly up to some poo poo.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

There's not an obvious overarching plot, but I'm pretty sure MP is the secret origin of Richard Feynman. There will be other things that happen, but I get the impression that everything will be tied to him.

I wasn't too impressed from the first issue, probably at least a bit because I've read more Feynman than the average person and the voice Hickman was using for him didn't seem to fit, even though I think it was only in his notes. I got over that and have been really enjoying the series.

One thing, though: I thought it was another 4 issue mini like Red Wing, but I've seen solicits for more. Is this an ongoing?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to give a shout out to Sparrow & Crowe, a 5-issue mini-series based on a podcast play I've never heard of called Wormwood. I picked it up because the artwork was original and certainly unlike anything else on the stands. The story and characters aren't anything original in the modern-paranatural-story-with-quirky-characters dynamic that seems to be springing up but it's kind of like Castle (if he was a bigger dork and loser) mixed with The Exorcist and the setup is interesting enough to get me excited for issue 2.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bairfanx posted:

There's not an obvious overarching plot, but I'm pretty sure MP is the secret origin of Richard Feynman. There will be other things that happen, but I get the impression that everything will be tied to him.

I wasn't too impressed from the first issue, probably at least a bit because I've read more Feynman than the average person and the voice Hickman was using for him didn't seem to fit, even though I think it was only in his notes. I got over that and have been really enjoying the series.

One thing, though: I thought it was another 4 issue mini like Red Wing, but I've seen solicits for more. Is this an ongoing?

Manhattan Projects and Secret are his first creator-owned ongoings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Manhattan Projects and Secret are his first creator-owned ongoings.

I had no idea they were ongoings! Awesome.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

I want to give a shout out to Sparrow & Crowe, a 5-issue mini-series

Thanks for this! I'll be looking for it tomorrow.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

I had no idea they were ongoings! Awesome.

Well, TMP is, I'm not so sure about Secrets.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm gonna move my American Vampire discussion here.

Lord of Nightmares was a surprising change for AV. Before, Snyder had approached vampires in a clinical sense: they weren't mythical monsters with supernatural powers but an advanced species of human (homo abominum). "Dracula" here is presented as a demonic presence akin to Castlevania. The change is sudden, but it fits given how "Dracula" is the unnamed father of the Carpathian race.

I love Nguyen's art. The man draws vampires like demons which fits the theme better. The main series still maintains that scientific classification of vampires and Albuquerque draws them like feral beasts to accommodate that theme.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Isn't AmVam Vertigo? Did the Vertigo thread die again?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It is, Benny posted in the wrong thread.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I've mostly read maxi-series like Ex Machina, Y, Preacher, some of Fables, The Walking Dead, Doom Patrol, Planetary, etc. I guess I ought to look at this thread- I've caught up with BPRD after years out of the loop and now I need more comics. :(

(I realize this isn't the recommendations thread, mostly I just wondered if many people keep up with BPRD here, and regardless, what is being printed that's worth looking into.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Soonmot posted:

It is, Benny posted in the wrong thread.
drat. Sorry.