Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

BlindSite posted:

how do weigh ins work for Olympics, Day of or day before?

FILA rules are the day before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Looks like a slideby, although you see that more from a collar and elbow tie.

It's what I would call it. You can do it from any hold with at least one underhook.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

McNerd posted:

Yeah in principle the white cloth would emit a little more heat even in the shade,

Incorrect. In principle, black emits heat faster than white, so training in the shade would be better with black. But yeah, in reality, you'd probably never know the difference.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Incorrect. In principle, black emits heat faster than white, so training in the shade would be better with black. But yeah, in reality, you'd probably never know the difference.

Crap, you're right.

Super Joe
Jun 22, 2012

I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused.
Thanks for the answers, guys!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm researching BJJ gyms around Santa Cruz, CA. This'll be my first go with any martial art, wondering if you guys have been to or heard anything about Kaijin MMA or Claudio Franca's?

Thanks

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Just got around to watching footage from the 2012 Mundials, pretty great overall and I enjoy having commentary but I can't help feel it's pretty disrespectful to be chatting poo poo to guests about whatever during finals matches.

I get that it's an honour to have Braulio sit in but maybe they could ask him for additional commentary and thoughts on the match going on rather than his brother Victor's matches and theorycrafting on the comparative strengths of Roger Gracie. I don't think they uttered a single word of commentary on Nicolini vs Marina Ribeiro which was one of the most exciting matches I'd seen up until then. They even had Ronda Rousey on for some reason during Letecia's fight talking about judo and MMA which felt really out of place.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Some kid hit a triangle from the bottom of north/south at some amateur mma event I went to today. Definitely the most impressive thing I've seen in a z-league amateur fight.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Got impetigo/staph/whatever on my thigh the last few days, second time I've got it so Im going super anti-bacteria and I bought myself some Scramble spats. Didnt have the balls to get the rainbow ones, so I got the black ones instead. I figure I'll just wear them under my no-gi shorts for training. Im tired of this grossness and plus I always get mat burn and cuts cause I'm a hairy guy, so Im going full long sleeve rashguard and spats from now on. Anyone try these, like them, hate them?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

swagger like us posted:

Got impetigo/staph/whatever on my thigh the last few days, second time I've got it so Im going super anti-bacteria and I bought myself some Scramble spats. Didnt have the balls to get the rainbow ones, so I got the black ones instead. I figure I'll just wear them under my no-gi shorts for training. Im tired of this grossness and plus I always get mat burn and cuts cause I'm a hairy guy, so Im going full long sleeve rashguard and spats from now on. Anyone try these, like them, hate them?

Don't wear shorts over them.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

TwistedNails posted:

Don't wear shorts over them.

Why? I've seen lots of guys do that, and right now I'm a fatass so I'd prefer not to show off my giant thighs and rear end.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

swagger like us posted:

Why? I've seen lots of guys do that, and right now I'm a fatass so I'd prefer not to show off my giant thighs and rear end.

The extra heat and moisture trapped from having two layers will increase your risk of infection.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

westcoaster posted:

The extra heat and moisture trapped from having two layers will increase your risk of infection.

By temperature yes but isn't this mitigated by the fact that no bacteria will be physically touching my skin?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swagger like us posted:

By temperature yes but isn't this mitigated by the fact that no bacteria will be physically touching my skin?

Wear shorts over them if you want, it's not a big deal. I used to wear short tights and a long sleeve rashie.

I got staph on the unprotected part of my leg.

Never had any issues wearing shorts or a gi or anything else over tights ever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The IJF posted a preview video of the -60kg competition for the Olympics. It's basically just a short highlight video of the top medal contenders, but it's still worth a watch.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pulling for Travis Stevens cause I trained at his judo club in Tacoma one time. Also he got totally robbed by corrupt judo reffing in 2008

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

swagger like us posted:

I wear spats and shorts (although on special days and gold medal matches it's just spats). They are wonderful, and you are a tremendous chicken for not getting the rainbow ones. Depending on your mats, there's a few extra things you can do with spats on (like slide on your knees, which does happen from time to time), that would otherwise painful or impossible.

I've never gotten anything resembling an increased infection rate with wearing two layers. Lots of people wear rash guards and t-shirts, and I don't think that they have any problems either.

I think that TwistedNails doesn't want you to wear shorts so that you can show off your cool spats (and increase your swag factor).

Use your new found power responsibly.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
How about dropping spats and just wearing a morph suit instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d90eSZsfreY

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

How about dropping spats and just wearing a morph suit instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d90eSZsfreY

I'd pay money for a spiderman one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Another pre-Olympics highlight video. This time for the -48kg Female division. Looks like they'll be releasing one a day for a while.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Hey grapple folks, if anyone saw the Ebersole fight from the last UFC there is this thing he did a couple of times early on that I'm trying to find out about.

He does it after the first striking exchange in the first round, at 4:52 on the clock.

It's like he's trying to slap his opponents lead knee with his right hand and at the same time he's sort of pushing the upper body with his left hand. It's a take down of some sort.

Any ideas?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't remember the fight but it sounds like a knee tap. Here's Cruz showing a striking setup into a knee tap: http://www.sherdog.com/mma-techniques/Technique-of-the-Week-23-Knee-Tap-28695

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It is definitely a knee tap. Ebersole likes to do that and mix it up by using it as a strike sometimes. I think he's done it in all of his UFC fights.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
J jones and gsp have used knee taps as well. It's pretty good for mma since it looks like a big punch and seems to freeze guys up a little.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

I don't remember the fight but it sounds like a knee tap. Here's Cruz showing a striking setup into a knee tap: http://www.sherdog.com/mma-techniques/Technique-of-the-Week-23-Knee-Tap-28695

Rad. Thanks bros.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I've been sitting on telecons all morning so started working on my Olympics Grappling effort post. I am far from done but thought I'd introduce everybody to the 2012 US Olympic Teams for Judo and Wrestling.

US Men's Freestyle Team

55KG:Sam Hazewinkel

60KG: Colemann Scott

66KG: Jared Frayer

74KG: Jordan Burroughs

84KG: Jake Herbert

96KG: Jake Varner

120KG: Tervel Dlagnev

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
US Women's Freestyle Team

48KG: Clarissa Chun

55KG: Kelsey Campbell

63KG: Elena Pirozhkova

72KG: Ali Bernard

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
US Men's Greco-Roman Team

55KG: Spenser Mango

60KG: Ellis "The Flying Squirrel" Coleman

66KG: Justin Lester

74KG: Ben Provisor

84KG: Chas Betts

120KG: Dremiel Byers

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 6, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
USA Judo Team

Men's 73KG: Nick Pelpopolo

Men's 81KG: Travis Stevens

Men's 100KG: Kyle Vashkulat

Women's 57 kg: Marti Malloy

Women's 78KG: Kayla Harrison

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I hope they treat the Olympics like they did last time, you could stream recorded events as much as you wanted, even the little known ones. I watched a lot of Judo. I even saw a fight that was basically the Judo version of werdum_offers_side_control.gif. I wish I had noted the fighters so I could find it again.
This guy has my unconditional support.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Thoguh posted:

US Women's Freestyle Team

48KG: Clarissa Chun

It took me a bit to realize that, oh-hey, there's a Chinese-American woman on the 48kg freestyle team. And that's... that's really cool, in a Jeremy Lin way. :unsmith:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Chortles posted:

It took me a bit to realize that, oh-hey, there's a Chinese-American woman on the 48kg freestyle team. And that's... that's really cool, in a Jeremy Lin way. :unsmith:

Hawaii is truly the greatest state of our fair union

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm still upset at the Olympics for forcing the men to give up several weight classes if they wanted to add a women's division. Which is why you end up with huge 20+ pound breaks between the classes now for the males.

And there are too few women's weight classes. FILA tried to fix that by offering to reduce the number of men in each weigh class such that the total number of athletes would remain the same but two more women's weight classes could be added. But the IOC told them no dice. The only way they'll add more women's weight classes is a further reduction of men's weight classes.

Athlete welfare and fairness is about 10,000th on the IOCs list of priorities.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A couple guys on BloodyElbow have actually been doing decent write ups for both the Judo and Wrestling events.

latest judo one: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/4/3137815/a-not-so-thorough-olympic-judo-preview-day-2-52kg-women-66kg-men

latest wrestling one: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/4/3116777/olympic-freestyle-wrestling-preview-mens-74-kilograms-2012-London-jordan-burroughs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thanks. USA Wrestling is posting weight class by weight class previews that I was going to use, but I hadn't found any for Judo yet.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

Athlete welfare and fairness is about 10,000th on the IOCs list of priorities.

Gotta make room on the agenda for more billionaire freebies somehow.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Appointment to the IOC should be reserved for those who have survived and won a proper Hellenic rules pankration match.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The IJF had been releasing one preview video a day, but it looks like somebody screwed up last night and put them all online except one. The videos are all around a minute long and show highlights from the top medal contendors at each weight.

-60kg Men
-66kg Men
-73kg Men
-81kg Men
-90kg Men
-100kg Men
+100kg Men

-48kg Women
-52kg Women
-57kg Women
-63kg Women
-70kg Women
-78kg Women
+78 kg Women

widunder
May 2, 2002
A nice video of a friend of mine. Goddamn I love Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/45334141

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

nemoulette posted:

A nice video of a friend of mine. Goddamn I love Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/45334141

That was really cool! Thanks for sharing. I wish people made more jits videos like this.