Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It is downright unbelievable how much each issue of Action keeps topping the last for me. What's especially amazing is how each issue keeps throwing more and more at the reader, but it never comes across as disjointed, it all flows perfectly together. I especially enjoyed the bromance between Batman and Supes, and the holographic diary he keeps on the space station.

The backup story was pretty entertaining too. It's a shame DC keeps shoving old writers onto the other Superman book instead of giving Fisch the chance. His backups have flowed so well due to his close collaboration with Morrison, I could see the other book improving vastly if they got a writer who had that kind of closeness.

I really hope, once this arc is done, Rags gets the boot. I'm really tired of the inconsistency in page art. And it's not that the other guy is bad, either, he's quite talented. I'm just tired of being taken out of the book because everyone starts having more definition and a distinct lack of Rags Morales' wonk-eyes. The man simply can't keep up with a monthly book, no matter what they do. It's time for him to go.

Edit: One more thing, that panel of him hearing the word "impossible" and turning around with an "oh yeah?" smile was just phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
This is how Morrison runs on mainstream titles always go: the first few issues people are like "man, this isn't crazy enough!" but by issue eleven or twelve everyone's losing their poo poo and finding all the clues in the first few.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really liked the t-shirt back-up. :)

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I loved the comeback to the "Superman makes us irrelevant" line of criticism, which is that he only renders people irrelevant if they are in competition with him. And Superman doesn't compete - he cooperates.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So when did this iteration of Batman see through Supermans disguise? Is there a worlds finest team up i've missed somewhere?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yesterday I said they should give Fisch a full-fledged issue of Superman to write. I guess it was a matter of ask and ye shall receive. DC just announced Action Comics Annual #1 for October 31

quote:

Written by Sholly Fisch
Art and cover by Cully Hamner
Backup story written by Max Landis
Backup story art by Ryan Sook
On sale OCTOBER 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
* The secrets of the “missing five years” between when Clark Kent came to Metropolis and the present day continue to be revealed!
* In the wake of Brainiac’s attack on Metropolis, Superman faces his first Earth-born villain: the Kryptonite Man!
* Plus a special backup story written by screenwriter of CHRONICLE, Max Landis!

It's pretty awesome they snagged Max Landis for a backup story and I look forward to his story since he knows his Superman.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

So when did this iteration of Batman see through Supermans disguise? Is there a worlds finest team up i've missed somewhere?

From the last Justice League

e: and Action 10

So the revelation has happened twice, years apart. Oops.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 6, 2012

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
The t-shirt backup did not end how I thought it would. I was expecting them to be all "pffff superman shops here, yeah right" followed by him walking through the door.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

So the League has been working together for five years and "they don't know a thing about Superman."

:negative:

I'm glad I'm not missing anything by skipping that book. What's this thing about Superman not talking that much in Justice League? That doesn't seem to quite fit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: and Action 10

So the revelation has happened twice, years apart. Oops.

Since when is Hal Tim Roth?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Magic Love Hose posted:

So the League has been working together for five years and "they don't know a thing about Superman."

:negative:

I'm glad I'm not missing anything by skipping that book. What's this thing about Superman not talking that much in Justice League? That doesn't seem to quite fit.

Don't think about the five year gap, and the Superman book, and this version of Superman is amazing between Action and Justice League. It's really refreshing.

Hal/Tim Roth is making me wonder who Rags' Superman is modeled after.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Can Rags Morales just go away already? The few pages he actually gets done don't look very good, and then they're just blown away in quality by the other artists that fill in the rest.

Otherwise I am absolutely loving Action right now.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
To be fair, Batman whispers that to Supes, and nobody else has superhearing.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
Anybody reading the Smallville series?

It's so much better than the TV show, like by miles and miles. Clark actually acts like Superman for once, unlike the dumbass out-of-character guy he is on the show.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Realism posted:

Anybody reading the Smallville series?

It's so much better than the TV show, like by miles and miles. Clark actually acts like Superman for once, unlike the dumbass out-of-character guy he is on the show.

Clark's incompetent actions and idiocy were pretty consistent throughout the show. He wasn't out-of-character, he was just a moron in this universe. We must accept this and move on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Entertainer13 posted:

Clark's incompetent actions and idiocy were pretty consistent throughout the show. He wasn't out-of-character, he was just a moron in this universe. We must accept this and move on.

0r we could watch the show for 10 entire seasons while constantly clinging to the vain hope that it will suddenly become an actual show about Superman despite all evidence to the contrary.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Most of the stuff here looks pretty bad, but that Kenneth Rocafort Superman is pretty and Travel Foreman on Action Comics is, I hope, permanent.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/07/09/superman-group-solicits

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I have to say I'm pretty pumped to see Krypto.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I've been really digging Action thus far, but if this is true I'll have to write a thank you letter to Morrison for making it happen.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Does anyone else find it weird that Superboy and Superman have yet to meet? I mean a kid with his logo trashed NYC, why wouldn't Clark follow up on that?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

With art by Travel Foreman!
He's looked like poo poo in Bird's of Prey, but maybe what it takes is for him to be thoughtfully paired with an appropriate colourist.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 9, 2012

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

gogisha posted:

I've been really digging Action thus far, but if this is true I'll have to write a thank you letter to Morrison for making it happen.

Holy crap, that's great. They're taking the best elements of every era of Supes I've read and making great nods to it.

I've decided that Lex reminds me of former DC mayor Adrian Fenty (or a slightly hipper Bloomberg if you have no clue what I'm talking about).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

gogisha posted:

Ever since reading All-Star Superman I simply can't imagine Supes without him. He's integral in my mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, so Superman does the Black Adam hovering-around-because-he's-better-than-you thing now? I haven't been following Superman or Justice League.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"He's observing. That's what a reporter does." He just doesn't command attention like he used to. He's perfectly fine with hanging back, and listening to the others work things out.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think Action paved the way for the idea that Clark wants to do more, knows the league doesn't want to, and so he's hanging back until they are.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Yawgmoft posted:

I think Action paved the way for the idea that Clark wants to do more, knows the league doesn't want to, and so he's hanging back until they are.

I kinda gave up reading with the new 52, but is superman suppose to be younger in these new world? He looks to be about 16 in the pictures posted above? Or is that just how that artist draws him?

I stopped reading because the bookstore by me closed and I don't have easy access to TPB collections. I liked that I could read them before buying so that I didn't waste money on junk. I see everyone saying that the books are on digital now, but what happens if the comixology goes under? Do I loose all my books? Or is there a way to download them as PDF or CBR from the app?

Is there a good site to preview books before I buy them, and I don't mean files or torrents. Like a few page preview? Does comixology allow you to preview a few pages? I have no problem paying money for the books, and superman was always my fav so if I was going to try the digital I would start with a few of his books.

edit

Just noticed there is a digital comics thread. Will read up there and see what I can see.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 11, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Action Comics follows Superman's early years. It began a few months after his emergence, and is now placed at some point early in the Justice League's career about 'five years ago'.
The 'Superman' book is contemporary stories, but it stinks.

In the browser version of Comixology you can preview three pages of any comic once it's on sale, and the week before comics are published DC gives a number of sites short previews of a book each which are collected in the DC blog, ala http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/07/10/tuesday-roundup-july-10th

You could preview pages from the issues in the first Action TPB then order it on Amazon if it looks promising.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 11, 2012

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

d00gZ posted:

This is how Morrison runs on mainstream titles always go: the first few issues people are like "man, this isn't crazy enough!" but by issue eleven or twelve everyone's losing their poo poo and finding all the clues in the first few.

Speaking of clues, and considering the upcoming return of Krypto I hope we learn who this man is. It's been bugging since I saw him in Action #3.

Also, are backup issues usually included in the collected hardcovers? I'm just curious if they're going to be collected in next month's Action Comics Hardcover.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

horsepeen posted:

Also, are backup issues usually included in the collected hardcovers? I'm just curious if they're going to be collected in next month's Action Comics Hardcover.

I sure as hell hope so because every single one of them has been fantastic.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Does anyone know why they felt the need to kill off the Kents?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm not sure but I'd really like to see, in the next reboot, Martha dead and Jonathan alive. That's the one configuration I don't think I've ever really read before and I'd be curious to see how it would change things.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

They possibly thought it was an emotional crutch for the character. Not having parents to go home to helps with the feeling of alienation that Clark feels. This Superman doesn't really have the emotional support of close friends or family. I like that he's a little distant, but isn't a brooding loner.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

There's a saying that it's easy to be a saint in paradise. I admit, it's got a point.

If Superman doesn't really care about his home planet, his parents are alive, and Lex Luthor is just some dude, and Superman's a great guy - good for him, but it feels less special than if he cares about the loss of his homeworld, the loss of his birth parents, and the fact that Luthor could have been a good man if things turned out slightly different. If Superman is a good man despite having all those reasons to be villainous or apathetic, then I feel it makes him a more admirable individual.

I also think that it sets up a nice contrast with the bog-standard my-folks-are-dead origins a lot of DC characters seem to be getting (hello there, Barry Allen.) Superman's parents are gone, yes, but they are gone of natural causes. What's Superman going to do, punch out old age? Heat-vision the flu? Superman can't avenge their deaths, and it would defeat the point of Superman's character if he wanted to for any length of time beyond the initial loss. Instead, Superman has to cope with their deaths, which makes him more relatable since one day, everyone on this board is probably going to have to do the same. (Believe me, I don't like to think about it either.)

I realize there's a lot of good arguments for keeping the Kents alive, so this is personal preference. But I grew up in an era where having Martha Kent still alive was considered non-canon. I'll gladly accept a lot of the improvements that the Byrne revamp brought to the table - Lex as a businessman just makes too much sense to ignore - but the Kents being alive never sat well with me.

EDIT:

NorgLyle posted:

I'm not sure but I'd really like to see, in the next reboot, Martha dead and Jonathan alive. That's the one configuration I don't think I've ever really read before and I'd be curious to see how it would change things.

The phrase 'the next reboot' depresses me because I know it's coming. But that out of the way, pick up 'It's Superman!' which is a novel set in the thirties where much of the book plays out in the scenario you describe. I recommend it on general principle because it is awesome.

Mike From Nowhere fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 13, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Dead is not the same thing as irrelevant. I think one of the most wonderful things Morrison has done so far in Action is occasionally insert a panel of Clark with his parents amidst the chaos. It's such an effective way of driving home the moral legacy that they left for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since this is the Superman thread I thought that anyone who hasn't been out to see The Dark Knight Rises yet might like this, both Superman teasers.

Pa Kent and Jor-El voiceovers.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Is it my imagination, or is Jor-El directly quoting the last issue of All-Star Superman there?

Because if All-Star is on the influences list, my faith in this project just shot up by infinity percent.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Magic Love Hose posted:

Is it my imagination, or is Jor-El directly quoting the last issue of All-Star Superman there?

Because if All-Star is on the influences list, my faith in this project just shot up by infinity percent.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
The idea of Superman is so incredibly fantastic. There is no comic book character for me that comes close to the emotional power of Superman. I feel that the way many people develop their taste for Superman parallels aspects of his ideals. I've heard so many times that people are turned off from the character because he seems like such a cheat in a fictional universe of super powers, but when they really give the character a shot, what we've made him stand for earns our admiration. I can't help but have anticipation for every new thing involving the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Morrison's Action Comics run will end with #16.

• Locked thread