Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
So generating Psychic Powers: Can every Psyker generate them from the list? Or how does this actually work? Are Dark Angel librarians locked to their lovely ones or can I discard those and generate 2 from the list?

EDIT: Never mind, found the answer in the FAQ.

EXTRA QUESTION: Can I mix and match? Can I keep one of the spells and pick the other from the 40k book?

Adrian Finol fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My plans to get back into this hobby have just run aground on the shoals of reality when I realised I have nobody to actually play. None of my friends would be into this hobby and searching around on google reveals no clubs that seem to be on the go around Southampton. Even the local unis gaming society appears to be all roleplaying. Despite this potentially saving my wallet from getting hosed I was actually kinda looking forward to getting into this again :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You guys are forgetting the most important market segment of all, Windows Phones!(I'm so alone.)

In my experience younger people tend to have iPhones and the older people I know tend to have some sort an Android phone.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Teatime posted:

My plans to get back into this hobby have just run aground on the shoals of reality when I realised I have nobody to actually play. None of my friends would be into this hobby and searching around on google reveals no clubs that seem to be on the go around Southampton. Even the local unis gaming society appears to be all roleplaying. Despite this potentially saving my wallet from getting hosed I was actually kinda looking forward to getting into this again :(

Well, on the bright side you are freed from being locked into one game or army and can just buy and paint whatever you want for fun.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

FrickenMoron posted:

Well, kinda sad for an army that is so "assault focused" fluff wise to not have a good combat HQ.

Cry me a loving river. Try playing Templars who are supposed to be the most assaulty Marine army and who can put one pretty good assault unit on the table. Seriously there is no way to make a Templar army that's close combat/assault oriented and have it be anywhere close to competitive.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Adrian Finol posted:

EXTRA QUESTION: Can I mix and match? Can I keep one of the spells and pick the other from the 40k book?

Evidently not.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Is there any reason for vanilla marines to take a normal dread instead of a mortis contemptor these days? A little more expensive, but 1 extra BS, better weapon load out, better armor, Skyfire while not moving, etc, etc, etc...

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there any actually competent combat HQ choice now in Codex BA?
Let's do a quick recap:

Captains: No way to get 2+ armor, no relic blade
Reclusiarch: Weapon is now pretty bad for fighting other ICs, no 2+ armor
Librarian: Cheapest utility, no inv save though and only 2 wounds
Dante: Has an axe, so I1?
Tycho: Ehh, somewhat competent now? 2+/4++ and his weapon ignores armor saves while striking at initiative
Astorath: Axe, next
Sanguinor: Eternal Warrior, but an AP3 weapon, boo. Also 275 points for a model that can't join units
Mephiston: Same as above, easy to single out. Also no inv.
Gabriel Seth: Ugh

Tycho is awesome now, relatively speaking - for 175 points, you get ws6, 2+ armor, an Iron Halo, ap2 power weapon, that melta thing, preferred enemy: orks, plus all the death co abilities too (FNP, rage, etc etc) if you take that option (in exchange for losing some Ld)

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Seeing as we're talking about special character's weapons. What's the ruling on Yriel's Spear of Twilight? The Codex says it's a Singing Spear that ignores armour saves. There is no mention of it being a power weapon at all. Thoughts?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

nuncle jimbo posted:

Tycho is awesome now, relatively speaking - for 175 points, you get ws6, 2+ armor, an Iron Halo, ap2 power weapon, that melta thing, preferred enemy: orks, plus all the death co abilities too (FNP, rage, etc etc) if you take that option (in exchange for losing some Ld)

And you still can't join him to any units. DC Tycho is poo poo.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ManiacMatt posted:

Seeing as we're talking about special character's weapons. What's the ruling on Yriel's Spear of Twilight? The Codex says it's a Singing Spear that ignores armour saves. There is no mention of it being a power weapon at all. Thoughts?

If the book doesn't say it's a PW, it's not a PW.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Nephilm posted:

And you still can't join him to any units. DC Tycho is poo poo.

poo poo, I forgot about that. Fine, *regular* Tycho is p cool.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Smegmalicious posted:

Cry me a loving river. Try playing Templars who are supposed to be the most assaulty Marine army and who can put one pretty good assault unit on the table. Seriously there is no way to make a Templar army that's close combat/assault oriented and have it be anywhere close to competitive.

That's not really comparable because one codex is a 3rd Edition relic and the other is relatively young and written by the same guy who wrote the rules for 6th anyway.

What I'm saying is gently caress Mat Ward.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I might have to try penitent engines again, now that "Rage" means +2 attacks on charge, and not "throw yourself headlong into the enemy" and with the Vehicle Squad updates.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So now that my book's here (a week late!) I got to look up how lovely the It's Complicated relationship status between Templars and Sisters actually was, and what it meant.

:stare:

Oh Black Templars, if only you were Chaos sympathizers, werewolves, or goddamn space vampires, then maybe the sisters would like you. Or maybe if you'd murdered a bunch of them to bathe in their blood you'd be better friends.

Seriously, that chart is poo poo. Non-scoring, non-denial units? I'd love to hear GW's justification of this, but I know they aren't going to bother with one.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

moths posted:

So now that my book's here (a week late!) I got to look up how lovely the It's Complicated relationship status between Templars and Sisters actually was, and what it meant.

:stare:

Oh Black Templars, if only you were Chaos sympathizers, werewolves, or goddamn space vampires, then maybe the sisters would like you. Or maybe if you'd murdered a bunch of them to bathe in their blood you'd be better friends.

Seriously, that chart is poo poo. Non-scoring, non-denial units? I'd love to hear GW's justification of this, but I know they aren't going to bother with one.

Marines don't like the Inquisition.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

moths posted:

the It's Complicated relationship status between Templars and Sisters

This is the best description that I have heard about anything in the new book.

Also, I think I really like the new Hull Points mechanic. It was nice to take a couple of glances to my Chimera and still be moving-- it let me get a plasma CCS close enough to fry some Grey Hunters that were in the open. Also helped with getting some melta vets in range of the building some Long Fangs were using as a firing platform.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deviant posted:

It doesn't even need to be that deep. They're both extremist sects, it makes a lot of sense that they would despise each other.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Deviant posted:

The Black Templars especially. Considering the whole "What do you mean chapters are only supposed to have 1000 members, gently caress that."

Can anyone give any tips on starting 6th edition Necrons, all the guides for them are outdated with the release of the new edition. I have not played since 4th edition and it turns out Necrons are not boring anymore. I was thinking the battleforce and an overlord to get started with.

Comrade Merf fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 7, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If I'm allying in Blood Angels with my footslogging Space Wolves, and using Death Company as the troop choice, what would be the best idea for an HQ? Astorath? A librarian? Tycho?

Is it worth it to bring an honor guard, and if so how should they be equipped? Are sternguard worth bringing with space wolves?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

A store manager tipped me that Tau Broadsides (and commanders maybe?) will be getting a finecast upgrade kit along with the Kroot models.

Now, the pinning of broadsides is a chore what with being top heavy and having the ankles of a 90 year old, but I'm still wondering if it's worth stocking up on.

Better yet if they simply released the FW broads as a plastic kit.

Update: as a load of sets are missing from the GW site (XV15's and various Kroot included), this seems like a safe bet. Yay?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Comrade Merf posted:

The Black Templars especially. Considering the whole "What do you mean chapters are only supposed to have 1000 members, gently caress that."

Can anyone give any tips on starting 6th edition Necrons, all the guides for them are outdated with the release of the new edition. I have not played since 4th edition and it turns out Necrons are not boring anymore. I was thinking the battleforce and an overlord to get started with.

Here's a pretty good rundown on Necron's 5th edition codex: http://www.3plusplus.net/p/codex-reviews.html . Obviously this was before the new BRB came out last week, but I'm pretty sure there were no negative impacts on Necrons, while they got a fair amount of buffs with Rapid Fire changing and Flyer rules.

If you're looking for auto-include units, Annihilation Barges are one of the best valued vehicles in the game now. Wraiths are also pretty great now, especially when Necrons other assault units are either terrible (Flayed Ones) or terribly overpriced.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think they dropped the XV15s entirely, as they got replaced by the XV25s.

In a world where people would play vs FW stuff, would Remoras even be any good? They seem like they would mostly help vs other flyers.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

ghetto wormhole posted:

You guys are forgetting the most important market segment of all, Windows Phones!(I'm so alone.)

In my experience younger people tend to have iPhones and the older people I know tend to have some sort an Android phone.

It's not really about phones though. The codexes they have on the app store now are designed exclusively for tablets, and the iPad, according to wikipedia, has about 60% of the tablet market, vs 40% for Android, and it has the advantage of big companies like GW, who are badly out of touch and run by seemingly complete idiots, knowing what it is and giving a poo poo about supporting it (presumably bcause they read that iOS Apps Generate 6 Times the Revenue of Android Apps and then stopping caring about operating systems).

I mean I'd love to pay an annual subscription fee to have every rulebook and codex as a constantly-updated pocket reference on my phone, Android or otherwise, but I don't think for one minute that GW is going to do that ever, unless their management all die in a fire and the IT guy gets put in charge.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

In a world where people would play vs FW stuff, would Remoras even be any good? They seem like they would mostly help vs other flyers.

They dropped XV15s when the 25s were introduced but brought them back a few months later because of consumer demand.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Discospawn posted:

Here's a pretty good rundown on Necron's 5th edition codex: http://www.3plusplus.net/p/codex-reviews.html . Obviously this was before the new BRB came out last week, but I'm pretty sure there were no negative impacts on Necrons, while they got a fair amount of buffs with Rapid Fire changing and Flyer rules.

If you're looking for auto-include units, Annihilation Barges are one of the best valued vehicles in the game now. Wraiths are also pretty great now, especially when Necrons other assault units are either terrible (Flayed Ones) or terribly overpriced.

Yeah, it's apparent that 5th ed Necrons were made with 6th edition in mind, and moreso than Grey Knights. In GKs case, a lot of the things they had that were "broken" aren't as significant now, and in the Necron's case, a lot of the things they had that were cool but mostly pointless now have evident uses.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ANAmal.net posted:

It's not really about phones though. The codexes they have on the app store now are designed exclusively for tablets, and the iPad, according to wikipedia, has about 60% of the tablet market, vs 40% for Android, and it has the advantage of big companies like GW, who are badly out of touch and run by seemingly complete idiots, knowing what it is and giving a poo poo about supporting it (presumably bcause they read that iOS Apps Generate 6 Times the Revenue of Android Apps and then stopping caring about operating systems).

I mean I'd love to pay an annual subscription fee to have every rulebook and codex as a constantly-updated pocket reference on my phone, Android or otherwise, but I don't think for one minute that GW is going to do that ever, unless their management all die in a fire and the IT guy gets put in charge.

To put this whole apple/android thing to rest, this is the bottom line:

- It's far harder to build Android apps than iphone apps (mainly because of the hundreds of different heterogenous android devices out there)
- iOS apps generate significantly more revenue than their android counterparts (not even counting dev. costs)

Electronic Codexes are a niche within a niche within a niche. The potential userbase is so small I'd wager there's wasn't a compelling business case to spend tons more to develop Android versions for significantly less revenue.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

OB_Juan posted:

They've got a networked markerlight and two seeker missiles each, so they might be able to take down a single flier if you're lucky, but their normal guns are only s5.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deviant posted:

Except for the five Marine armies that do like them, this is completely right. Four of them even have completely established reasons not to like them, and none of those are Templars!

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Deviant posted:

I might have to try penitent engines again, now that "Rage" means +2 attacks on charge, and not "throw yourself headlong into the enemy" and with the Vehicle Squad updates.

3 Hull Points too!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So you can get 38 Thunderwolves into a 2500 point list, just about. 44 in a 3000. It would be a terrible list with zero scoring but still, 44 Thunderwolves. I don't even think you could deploy that army on a standard sized deployment zone.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ChrisAsmadi posted:

They've got a networked markerlight and two seeker missiles each, so they might be able to take down a single flier if you're lucky, but their normal guns are only s5.

True, but with a stealth field generator, they have a little more time to keep trying for rear armor.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Is the War Store the cheapest place to get a Contemptor body in the US? I'm looking to get 2x bodies and scratch build the rest of it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There is no cheap way to get one new. You might be able to find a used one on Ebay/Craigslist, but that's about it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Also, why's DarkSphere in the OP? They don't ship 40k stuff anymore, it's all collect in store.

Wait what? gently caress! Glad I bought an IG Battleforce from them at the very least.
I don't want to use Maelstorm. I ordered my stuff like a week ago and they still haven't dispatched it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

CyberLord XP posted:

Is the War Store the cheapest place to get a Contemptor body in the US? I'm looking to get 2x bodies and scratch build the rest of it.

If you PM me or email me at mymsnaccount@hotmail.co.uk I'll tell you where I got mine for like $30.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh hey, so THAT'S where the ork flyer rules went. No Games Workshop, I will not pay $6 for rules that will only be viewable on a drat iPad.

Got a third game in versus Necrons. I wiped him off the table. I have to say those flyers with the death ray are pretty devastating, although there's a lot of confusion about where the "closest model" is relative to stuff like that. Is it closest to the flyer? To the base? What?

Also I had a good conversation with Duane, the guy who runs the Bowie Battle Bunker. He really is an awesome guy and goes out of his way to make things better for his customers, in spite of the fact that GW corporate is a bunch of prats. I talked to him about my concerns about paying full price at a GW store, and how if it were a FLGS I would be more willing to pay the price difference but I struggle to pay for it at a GW branded store. He was honest about how much work it took to keep that store running, and I realized that in essence what he was running was my FLGS. So I decided to make a commitment to spend more money there. Not for GW, but because those guys deserve to stay in business.

Incidentally if you have a chance to visit the Bowie Battle Bunker you really should. Duane and everyone else in there go out of their way to make it the effective opposite of GW. They're very friendly and know a lot about gaming and the hobby, but somehow manage to create an environment that makes me want to come back. You can tell they care.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
It specifically says in the flyer rules that you measure to the hull, all the time. The base practically doesn't exist outside of being an access point.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Looking at the original rules and FAQ for the Remora, the original rules list it has a stealth field generator, then next to that section, has a description of the old 4/5th ed version. The FAQ just updates hardpoints. Would it be more correct to use it as it was, or how the SFG was changed in the Tau FAQ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miles O'Brian posted:

It specifically says in the flyer rules that you measure to the hull, all the time. The base practically doesn't exist outside of being an access point.

Good thing I make my grabba klaws extra tall then.

• Locked thread