Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Moldy Taxes posted:

I gave the Lightning DLC for XIII-2 a shot today. Pretty interesting in terms of the abilities Lightning can use, but it's easy to win the first fight if you have a basic understanding of the battle system; I would've won the first fight at Level 2 if I hadn't gotten cocky when Caius was in COM mode. I have no idea what triggers going into the second fight, but I beat him three times in a row before it moved on. I was afraid I'd have to do the same fight over and over again until I hit Level 10, so I was glad when the fight transitioned at Level 5.

I just need to buy/finish the Snow and Gilgamesh stuff and I'll have 100% finished the DLC, but the game was already getting boring while I was working towards Platinum, so I think I'll give those a pass.

The second fight occurs when you 5-star the first fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Winks posted:

It's not just a futuristic setting though, it's a fantasy setting. There are giant god-like machines created by actual gods running the show.

I was talking in general about the futuristic look, really, but yeah XIII's a fantasy setting with a sci-fi backdrop. Though that doesn't mean that the sci-fi parts are irrelvent, when it comes to taling about how it perceives a future setting.

Lightning's house for example:

In thirty years time or so, if people looked at these designs on the internet 5.0, with holographic accoutrements, and jet-packs, they'd probably say, "that's such a 2010 idea of looking at the future". I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just something that happens.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 7, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

The second fight occurs when you 5-star the first fight.

Ah that makes sense. Quite a shame, too, because I'm sure I could do the second fight at level 2 or even level 1, but I'm certain the first fight would take me twenty+ minutes, which doesn't really earn high ratings.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Pesky Splinter posted:

In thirty years time or so, if people looked at these designs on the internet 5.0, with holographic accoutrements, and jet-packs, they'd probably say, "that's such a 2010 idea of looking at the future". I'm saying that's a bad thing. It's just something that happens.
When I look at that I don't think futuristic though. I think sci-fi fantasy. (I actually see a final fantasy-ish airship. Is her house an airship?!) Kind of like comparing Star Wars and Star Trek. Star Wars ages better than the original Trek series because of its fantasy backdrop. We see rocker switches in Star Wars and its easy to reconcile because its timeline is obviously not related to modern tech. We see them in Star Trek and we wonder why they aren't at least membrane switches if not touchscreens, because it's supposed to be based on our actual future.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Lightning's house for example:

That is one hell of a pad.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Winks posted:

When I look at that I don't think futuristic though. I think sci-fi fantasy. (I actually see a final fantasy-ish airship. Is her house an airship?!) Kind of like comparing Star Wars and Star Trek. Star Wars ages better than the original Trek series because of its fantasy backdrop. We see rocker switches in Star Wars and its easy to reconcile because its timeline is obviously not related to modern tech. We see them in Star Trek and we wonder why they aren't at least membrane switches if not touchscreens, because it's supposed to be based on our actual future.

It's not that far off from more um..."modern art" designed places actually. Though I do see it looking like an airship now you mention it.

Our future*! If we're ever enslaved by the Robo-Gods :tinfoil:

I'm not arguing that it's not Sci-Fantasy or fantasy with a sci-fi backdrop, I'm just saying that it's still subject to looking like when the work was created. I'm talking from a meta perspective here, rather than a story perspective. They're still very much a product of what time they are made, and show that with the design (or clothes or hairstyles).

It's just more noticable in settings based in the future, or with what we deem to be futuristic, rather than an older setting, like FFIV's industrial revoultion aesthetic, or FFVII's cyberpunk or FFIX's medieval steampunk (mistpunk? :v:) look.

*Or past in one case.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, and then maybe they'll give us the original War of the Magi from VI, or the Adventures of Laguna from VIII, or Braska's Pilgrimage from X, or the Story of Zack Fair from VII, or two installments of the stupid adventures that nobody cared about after FFIV- wait, scratch those last two.

Final Fantasy Tactics 2, and Dragon Quest Tactics with Matsuno given full creative control over both.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics 2, and Dragon Quest Tactics with Matsuno given full creative control over both.

Ehh, while I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest, truth told, giving the series to anyone but the creator who is clearly still doin' stuff with his own IP would really just be stealing his thunder.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's just more noticable in settings based in the future, or with what we deem to be futuristic, rather than an older setting, like FFIV's industrial revoultion aesthetic, or FFVII's cyberpunk or FFIX's medieval steampunk (mistpunk? :v:) look.

Anachronistic fantasy fiction where everything is powered by magic smoke.

FF9 is, in fact, weedpunk

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 7, 2012

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mega64 posted:

Finished my FF4: The After Years Edge solo run.

Now to figure out what I want to do next. Maybe that "Extreme" FJF I was talking about.

Four Scholar FF3 run :downsgun:

How about an FFX Challenge? I know that game isn't particularly hard but I always thought a No Sphere Grid challenge or something similar would be fun if possible.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Minrad posted:

Four Scholar FF3 run :downsgun:

How about an FFX Challenge? I know that game isn't particularly hard but I always thought a No Sphere Grid challenge or something similar would be fun if possible.

May I present the Final Fantasy X: NSGNSNCNONENNENBB Challenge Guide.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Hahaha, what a completely ridiculous name.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Now to figure out what I want to do next. Maybe that "Extreme" FJF I was talking about.

Do something with X-2. Not enough people do challenge runs in that game.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Minrad posted:

Hahaha, what a completely ridiculous name.

:(

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

Challenge runs in X-2 are actually really interesting because the game gives you a large number of Garment Grids/Accessories that provide a bevy of options but are usually wasted because why would you equip something to let you cast Fire/Cure/Protect when you could spherechange into the proper class instead? In a challenge run, weighing those options instead becomes incredibly important.

In fact, that's making me want to get back to my Songstress only run. I might do that when I'm done with my current Fiesta run (which I have again been distracted from by Xenoblade. I may have overdrawn on my leisure activities...)

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

gigglefeimer posted:

X-2 is a really underrated game due to the deliberately silly plot and "GIRL POWAH" themes. It is actually pretty drat fun, especially with challenge runs.

I'm all for it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Me too. X-2 is fan-loving-tastic.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think we're overdue for a Final Fantasy game that has a early 20th century look, like 1920s-1940s. Yeah, I know people are getting sick of the WWII thing, but who doesn't want to fight Nazis driving around in Magitek Armor?

Shadow Hearts. (actually that's WWI era but close enough.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It's just a shame that X-2 is pretty much physically impossible to 100% without a guide of some sort. (I'm looking at you, Chapter 4 commsphere watchathon.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't have a PS2, and while my computer can run a PS2 emulator, it's not that stellar with it. Plus I've never played X-2, so I probably wouldn't do a challenge run for my first time (though maybe I'll get around to it once I get more cash).

I probably wouldn't start a challenge until tomorrow anyway, but I'll probably do something with FF5 ("Extreme" FJF, or a regular FJF where you can't mix and match abilities with other jobs), or maybe a FF4 solo Cecil run. I know 3-6 the best so I'll probably stick to those.

Thinking about it, I always wanted to see a FF6 hack that limited spells to certain characters. Only Terra/Celes/Relm would get Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga, Locke, Shadow, and maybe another character or two would get the Slow/Haste spells, Sabin and Cyan would focus on buffs, Strago and Gau would get some of the odder spells, and so on. It'd keep characters distinct and would actually add some strategy in choosing your party. Then just rebalance some things (make SwordTech not suck, give Sabin more magic-boosting equipment, maybe lower the insane buffs Terra, Celes, and Edgar get from equipment, etc) to keep choices more interesting.

Maybe not that practical, but I think it could be a fun little idea.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Like a decade ago, I was big into FFVI hacking and none of that stuff could be done without heavy assembly hacking, which is at a point you're rewriting the game. Game's pretty hardcoded into it's ways. I wanted to do a hack that did just that, but only Terra and Celes can ever learn magic naturally through leveling. Other things hard coded that prevent you from hacking in a class-ish system: HP/MP growth, no stat growth.

Actually, second thought, you could do it if you restricted the hell out of equipment like FF9, and made espers give no magic.

IE: Firaga Rod. Equippable by: Terra/Celes/Relm
Teaches Firaga x3.

Haste Dirk. Equippable by: Locke/Shadow
Teaches Haste x5.

You'd need a piece of gear for every spell though, and I'm not sure if relics can teach magic. I think there's a 255 item limit. Memory is foggy, the hacks on romhacking.net tell me there have not been huge steps forward otherwise since I stopped caring.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It's just a shame that X-2 is pretty much physically impossible to 100% without a guide of some sort. (I'm looking at you, Chapter 4 commsphere watchathon.)

It really isn't impossible at all, you just have to be thorough in finding those percentage points.

Trasson posted:

Challenge runs in X-2 are actually really interesting because the game gives you a large number of Garment Grids/Accessories that provide a bevy of options but are usually wasted because why would you equip something to let you cast Fire/Cure/Protect when you could spherechange into the proper class instead? In a challenge run, weighing those options instead becomes incredibly important.

In fact, that's making me want to get back to my Songstress only run. I might do that when I'm done with my current Fiesta run (which I have again been distracted from by Xenoblade. I may have overdrawn on my leisure activities...)

Another good thing about challenge runs in X-2 is that New Game+ lets you bypass sidequests and grinding. Instead of doing monkey mating in Chapter 2 for that Soul of Thamasa or grinding for AP, just start your challenge run on a file that already has those things.

Another fun way to approach challenges in X-2 is to limit levels/garment grids/accessories/items but give full access to dresspheres. That will force you to take advantage of dressphere abilities and find uses for them you thought you never would, and it could require you to change DS during battle a lot (which was the intention with the battle system but normally the game is too easy to bother with doing that).

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

You'd need a piece of gear for every spell though, and I'm not sure if relics can teach magic. I think there's a 255 item limit. Memory is foggy, the hacks on romhacking.net tell me there have not been huge steps forward otherwise since I stopped caring.

Cursed Ring teaches X-Zone if I'm remembering right.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Actually, second thought, you could do it if you restricted the hell out of equipment like FF9, and made espers give no magic.

IE: Firaga Rod. Equippable by: Terra/Celes/Relm
Teaches Firaga x3.

Haste Dirk. Equippable by: Locke/Shadow
Teaches Haste x5.

I like it. The smaller spells could be relics that everyone could learn, like Cure and the L1 elemental spells. Several people could learn some of the more intermediate spells through weapons and armor, and then each character would have their own exclusive ultimate spell.

Of course, then things would have to be rebalanced a bit, and chests would have to be changed to have these items, which would make exploring for unique items much more fun not knowing where things would be. It could be a fun little hack that would add a bit of fresh air to a game many have played to death already.

Maybe I'll dick around and see what all I can accomplish before I inevitably lose interest like I always do with these things.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

Thinking about it, I always wanted to see a FF6 hack that limited spells to certain characters. Only Terra/Celes/Relm would get Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga, Locke, Shadow, and maybe another character or two would get the Slow/Haste spells, Sabin and Cyan would focus on buffs, Strago and Gau would get some of the odder spells, and so on. It'd keep characters distinct and would actually add some strategy in choosing your party. Then just rebalance some things (make SwordTech not suck, give Sabin more magic-boosting equipment, maybe lower the insane buffs Terra, Celes, and Edgar get from equipment, etc) to keep choices more interesting.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=4193.0

It's called "Final Fantasy VI Hardtype" But it eventually didn't turn out that much more difficult then the original game, even the guy who made the hack admits it and thinks he should probably change the name.

It also includes a few interesting bits of equipment changes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Star Platinum posted:

Shadow Hearts. (actually that's WWI era but close enough.)

I'm pretty sure that Shadow Hearts 2 is set during World War II. I liked all of the Shadow Hearts games but Shadow Hearts 3 kind of went off of the deep end.

vvvv - Aw, man, you're right. I haven't played 2 in years so I'm sorry

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 7, 2012

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nope, World War 1. The three games take place in 1913, 1916, and 1929.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The whole series has its ups and downs:

Koudelka has a surprisingly decent story, atmosphere, and characters (and voice acting), but a loving terrible battle system.

Shadow Hearts has a decent story and characters, terrible voice acting (*SHLOOORP SHLOOORP!*) and is really ugly when compared to games released around that time (it looks like they wanted it to be for the PS1, but moved it to the PS2). But the battle system is pretty okay and fun.

SH:C has an okay story and characters, mediocre to good voice acting, it looks good, and the combat system is engaging and fun. It's lost a lot of the atmoshpere though.

SH:FtNW has a lousy story, mediocre voice acting, characters that are mostly either trying too hard to be funny or ones so bland they blend into the background. The battle system is still pretty decent and engaging though (outside of the magic system and a certain character's gimmick).

The music is excellent for all the games. Even, From the New World.

:iia:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I thought Shadow Hearts: Covenant was one of the worst rpgs I ever played. The combat system was fun, but there is subsystem upon subsystem in the game, and its content feels like it draws content because there's so much else about the game. The character were horrible, the voice acting good, but the scenario was batshit insanity. It was so hard for me to enjoy it, between the muscle man superheroes and the stereotypical gay shop clerks who appear in every town.

Speaking of towns, the towns were small one screen fare.

I remember being told how great the game was, ended up playing it, and didn't understand what all the praise was about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Himuro posted:

Speaking of towns, the towns were small one screen fare.

The rest of your post was merely inaccurate and I suspect tailored specifically to piss off Azure Horizon, since he has the kind of obsession with that series that normally ends with people going to jail, but this one is just a flat-out lie. Even the smallest towns are three screens, minimum, and large screens at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is honestly one of the RPGs I like best on the PS2. It has its problems but it also has a ton of personality, interesting combat systems and a fun setting.

The insanity is part of why it is interesting. It's not a generic fantasy world or generic sci-fi world, it's a weird blend of modern/near modern and urban mythology and fantasy and a whole lot of crazy. Shadow Hearts 3 clearly tried to recapture this and ended up just sucking.

I'd rather have a batshit insane game than a boring one and SH:C manages to be a fun kind of batshit insane.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 7, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, I normally like modern settings, so the insanity was really off putting for me.

Oxxidation posted:

The rest of your post was merely inaccurate and I suspect tailored specifically to piss off Azure Horizon, since he has the kind of obsession with that series that normally ends with people going to jail, but this one is just a flat-out lie. Even the smallest towns are three screens, minimum, and large screens at that.

I don't think it's a lie at all. Then again, I stopped playing half way.

And none of what I said was inaccurate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Himuro posted:

I don't think it's a lie at all. Then again, I stopped playing half way.

And none of what I said was inacurate.

You're an evil man and I totally approve of what you're doing here

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Look, Azure's love for and my distaste for Shadow Hearts Covenant is merely coincidental! I am not doing this on purpose! Promise! Azure and I just happen to have complete opposite tastes in games.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've always thought the first half of the story was the strongest, up until they hit Japan and then it meanders pointlessly.

Yuri is a likeable character, Karin and some of the others...not so much. It's goofy and it's fun and that why I like it. It's not everyday in a JRPG that the characters take the piss out of a boss or break the fourth wall, or goof off, without needing to be supergrim all the time. It was fun, and I was having fun playing it, even if it has flaws.

FtNW just tried to hard. "Wow, these characters sure are zany! A Polish-ninja trained in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil and collects weapons like Joachim! They'd love it if we shamelessly reuse character archtypes and not come up with anything new! Unless it's zany! Or annoying!" :supaburn:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first Shadow Hearts is probably the best, anyway, and I liked the other two. It manages to be goofy and not take itself amazingly seriously while still not falling into stupidity like FtNW, or kinda sorta meandering like Covenant.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've always thought the first half of the story was the strongest, up until they hit Japan and then it meanders pointlessly.

Yuri is a likeable character, Karin and some of the others...not so much. It's goofy and it's fun and that why I like it. It's not everyday in a JRPG that the characters take the piss out of a boss or break the fourth wall, or goof off, without needing to be supergrim all the time. It was fun, and I was having fun playing it, even if it has flaws.

FtNW just tried to hard. "Wow, these characters sure are zany! A Polish-ninja trained in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil and collects weapons like Joachim! They'd love it if we shamelessly reuse character archtypes and not come up with anything new! Unless it's zany! Or annoying!" :supaburn:

What you thought about FtNW I felt about SHC. I'm all for rpgs that don't take themselves seriously, but it felt like it was trying too hard to be seen as unique/quirky, whatever. I have the same opinion about Earthbound and all Mario RPGS, where simple things are taken to such an extreme that they become quirky stuff seemingly just because it'd be cool to be quirky.

Endorph posted:

The first Shadow Hearts is probably the best, anyway, and I liked the other two. It manages to be goofy and not take itself amazingly seriously while still not falling into stupidity like FtNW, or kinda sorta meandering like Covenant.

I did like SH1, which is a big proponent as to why I disliked SHC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I guess I could see how you'd have that opinion about Earthbound, but how do you have that opinion about the Mario RPGs? They're pretty toned-down. I mean, yeah, they outright break the fourth wall sometimes but their quirkiness isn't really forced so much as just a result of the setting. They're Mario RPGs, of course they're gonna be a bit goofy.

Not to mention Bowser's dialogue across all the Mario RPGs is some of the most amazing writing ever.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Well, I've only played Super Mario RPG and Mario & Luigi for GBA. M&L is the one I felt this most about, because it took place in this quirky setting with quirky characters where you'd fight quirky one thousand year old sodas that have turned evil and you're supposed to laugh because - haha - it's quirky!

I tend to prefer the Dragon Quest/Chrono Trigger/Skies of Arcadia route, where its lightheartedness comes from its utter simplicity and the amount of heart that goes into the writing, rather than appearing transparently whimsical. This is why I like games like Blue Dragon, and in some ways Final Fantasy X-2. X-2 is weird, but it's also got a lot of serious moments, and it's lighthearted without trying to be edgy. But more than that, it has a great message that I wholeheartedly support. Somehow, I like Mother 3's tone more than Earthbound's. It's toned down to a point, but it still has the characteristically unique scenario and characters, but not to a degree where it's annoying.

I'm really weird about tone. I dislike games that try too hard to be seen as quirky (the games discussed), but on the other hand can't stand games that take themselves too loving seriously (Metal Gear Solid 4).

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 7, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

Basically. SH:C has some narrative issues but is perhaps more emotionally rich than the first game while sacrificing tons of atmosphere. FTNW has the finest gameplay on the PS2, and also a better soundtrack than Covenant, which is why I think it's a better game. Hirota put everyone else to shame musically for the whole PS2 generation, though. I wish he had more high-profile games to work with; a Final Fantasy game done in his musical style would be loving perfect.

It's still probably the best overall series on the PS2.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: I would love to hear a FF soundtrack composed by them :allears:

Himuro posted:

What you thought about FtNW I felt about SHC. I'm all for rpgs that don't take themselves seriously, but it felt like it was trying too hard to be seen as unique/quirky, whatever. I have the same opinion about Earthbound and all Mario RPGS, where simple things are taken to such an extreme that they become quirky stuff seemingly just because it'd be cool to be quirky.

I did like SH1, which is a big proponent as to why I disliked SHC.

I can see why someone who liked SH1 could dislike SH:C for the changes in atomsphere and story, as I've said though, I just felt that FtNW was just too much an attempt to crank up the wacky, when the story itself should have been a bit more grim.

The cast annoyed me too; the aformentioned ninja, the giant talking cat and the gothic Lolita Vampiress with that terrible mechanic. Natan never really says or does anything, and Shania is bland as hell. Ricardo and Johnny are okay though. Even if Johnny is just a generic good JRPG protagonist.

The SH:C cast was okay if bland for the most part. Karin skirts the line between being a bland romantic interest in the first half of the game to the Rinoa-esque "Oh, I want to be with you forever!" type thing in the latter half. It's also really loving creepy when she goes back in time and becomes his mother because she can't be with him. Or rather, goes with his father, because she can't go with him. Reverse oedipus complex? Paging Dr Freud.

SH1 had the best atomsphere and horror, and the most likable cast. The horror aspect really got shoved by the wayside in the others. And none of the antagonists have really be as good as Albert.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 7, 2012