Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Traitorous Leopard posted:

The new TGI is only ok IMO. Test the Limits and Engine 45 are really good, and the breakdown in Sacrifice is pretty sick, but everything else is kinda meh.

White Light is red hot fire brother, I'm not sure how you neglected to mention that one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I absolutely cannot stop listening to the Chelsea Grin EP they just dropped. So into it. Especially "Confession" (stupid heavy breakdown at the end) and the last song "Don't Ask Don't Tell" which is a surprisingly good mix of melodic and heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6liXopu1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j508umkE4dE

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New The Contortionist is absolutely amazing as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89vxiQ46MLk

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Obey the Brave is coming to Atlanta in between All Star Tour dates. Hopefully they can fill the empty DI void in my life.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Brothers,,,

here's a feature for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkLvH3Z4Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhU76YzO9U

have a good evening,

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Soooo Periphery's album has leaked/hit the net. What do you guys think? It sounds like a solid improvement to me! Also I realize this isn't the djent thread but that thread kind of died off and rather than resurrect it I figured I'd post this here, I hope thats kosher...besides their new album just sounds like progressive metal to me not really djent.

Heres a link to a stream that the band has posted:

http://themusic.com.au/listen/all/periphery-two/

I kind of like it!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Ramseyk posted:

Soooo Periphery's album has leaked/hit the net. What do you guys think? It sounds like a solid improvement to me! Also I realize this isn't the djent thread but that thread kind of died off and rather than resurrect it I figured I'd post this here, I hope thats kosher...besides their new album just sounds like progressive metal to me not really djent.

I kind of like it!

I was going to post this just now :hf:

landuros
Sep 22, 2010
There are some stand out tracks on new Periphery but the entire thing isnt catching me. This is coming from someone who has their first album only instrumental on their ipod and all the Bulb solo project songs. His vocals seem to have gone straight Protest The Hero mode and I am in love. Ragnarok, Evised, and Scarlet are the 3 stand out tracks for me. Also, I had the pleasure of listening to the Contortionist album in its entirety. Prepare to be blown away. The entire album is a step from deathcore to the progressive realm. If you thought Holomovement was a crazy step for the band, wait till you hear track 8. There is only 1 super heavy song and its the shortest on the album, Solipsis. clocks in at like 2 minutes.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Ramseyk posted:

I kind of like it!

I don't know about everyone else, but this album is already a contender for album of the year for me. While their first effort was very strong, it got a bit repetitive in places, and Spencer Sotelo's vocals weren't quite as good as they could have been. With this release, the music is infitely more dynamic, and Sotelo has improved massively, and I dare say he has proven himself to be one of the best vocalists in metal. I had a chance to talk with Spencer for about an hour at a show once, and he shared my sentiment that a lot of metal vocalists really just don't want to put in the effort to practice and improve their voices and just ride the thrill of being the "frontman", while he is clearly the opposite. I really see these guys going places, and I commend them greatly for this effort.

P.S. my favorite track so far is "Have a Blast." It's got a really nice mellower chorus that just flows really well.

El Golden Goose fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2012

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Really sounds like poor man's Protest the Hero. I really like the song 'the walk' off an older album but can't figure out why they're hyped so bad.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

drat, really? Everyone just gonna sleep on my links like that?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

New As I Lay Dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG5WO5h8XA

I was initially pretty hard on The Powerless Rise, but it has since become one of my favorite albums ever. Seems like they might be upping their game once again.

Also, new ATR this year but meh.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BiohazrD posted:

New As I Lay Dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG5WO5h8XA

I was initially pretty hard on The Powerless Rise, but it has since become one of my favorite albums ever. Seems like they might be upping their game once again.

Also, new ATR this year but meh.

I have a soft spot for ATR. Don't know why, but most of their music is just fun to listen to.

Also, both "An Ocean Between Us" and "The Powerless Rise" are fantastic albums. I'm really, really looking forward to new AILD.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Don't think this has been posted yet, new Monuments

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

brothers, please recommend items similar to the hit stylings of The Ghost Inside. I've played the heck out of their 3 tapes and need some new material for the gym. I love my metalcore collection but it's stale as heck and I need some new direction. Thanks!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Ummmm, Stick To Your Guns, Parkway Drive, The Great Commission, Norma Jean, Stray From the Path, Your Demise....

That's all I got off the top of my head.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I haven't heard the whole album, but the latest Stick To Your Guns single was loving terrible!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

That first song, gat drat

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

That first song, gat drat

I'm so loving glad you posted this. I totally missed those links. I just fell in love.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
There are even better songs on that tape like "Invictus, Unconquered" that aren't on youtube because Mediaskare is mean. Blast it at all costs though.

Wamsutta posted:

brothers, please recommend items similar to the hit stylings of The Ghost Inside. I've played the heck out of their 3 tapes and need some new material for the gym. I love my metalcore collection but it's stale as heck and I need some new direction. Thanks!

Brother,,

A Call to Sincerity
Your Demise (kinda, their first tape)
Face All Fears
Deception of a Ghost
Awaken Demons
Remembering Never

none of these are all THAT similar but they scratch the same itch for me

saig
Mar 9, 2003

i see your reply and raise you an i dont give a shit

El Golden Goose posted:

I don't know about everyone else, but this album is already a contender for album of the year for me. While their first effort was very strong, it got a bit repetitive in places, and Spencer Sotelo's vocals weren't quite as good as they could have been. With this release, the music is infitely more dynamic, and Sotelo has improved massively, and I dare say he has proven himself to be one of the best vocalists in metal. I had a chance to talk with Spencer for about an hour at a show once, and he shared my sentiment that a lot of metal vocalists really just don't want to put in the effort to practice and improve their voices and just ride the thrill of being the "frontman", while he is clearly the opposite. I really see these guys going places, and I commend them greatly for this effort.

P.S. my favorite track so far is "Have a Blast." It's got a really nice mellower chorus that just flows really well.

Yeah I was completely thrown off when I first started on the new album, but holy poo poo does it grow on you. Most importantly...Matt Halpern...loving Halpern...I literally don't have a clue how that guy drums the way he does, but hes a huge reason I love the band. His kicks are absolutely insane.

Here he is on the streets in Austin, TX jamming the gently caress out just cause he can, cause hes loving Matt Halpern: http://youtu.be/gE-l-AkliYM. Gotta love the dudes trying to find the rhythm but failing.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

krustster posted:

There are even better songs on that tape like "Invictus, Unconquered" that aren't on youtube because Mediaskare is mean. Blast it at all costs though.

Brother,,

A Call to Sincerity
Your Demise (kinda, their first tape)
Face All Fears
Deception of a Ghost
Awaken Demons
Remembering Never

none of these are all THAT similar but they scratch the same itch for me

I've always loved Remembering NEver brother, however I believe they didn't put anything out after their last tape God Save Us (which was great) however, Wikipedia says they will have a tape in 2012? That is a fun thing to look forward to,

A Call To Sincerity appears to be about G-d, though...
:goonsay:

Upon inspection, Face All Fears is loving sweet, though, especially the one joint featuring ya boy Vincent Bennett of Acacia Strain fame on guest vox. So thanks :)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

A Call To Sincerity appears to be about G-d, though...
:goonsay:

no,

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Brothers,,,,,,

I cannot get over this sing/scream stuff, it's addicting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPbYqCiU3Q

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

Brothers,,,,,,

I cannot get over this sing/scream stuff, it's addicting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPbYqCiU3Q

This is not good. Not good at all. Really hasn't hit the spot, probably because I was listening to The Ghost Inside on the way home and in comparison, this is garbage.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I thought the new For All Those Sleeping album was actually pretty good, it's nothing I'l listen to often, but I'm sure I'll be in the mood for that sing/scream poo poo every once in a while.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My friend just posted his band's music video and I thought maybe you guys would like to check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzXg1_4UVQ

e: I should mention that the guys in the band did it all themselves and are not professional or anything so it's kinda rough. They're ok with it though.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 8, 2012

Aleksander
Jun 22, 2012

Isn't that Rich?

Wamsutta posted:

White Light is red hot fire brother, I'm not sure how you neglected to mention that one!

Amen. For what it's worth, I think it's a great album. Doesn't stray too far from 'Returners' so I'm not sure how anyone loves one and dislikes the other. High hopes for whatever they do next, too.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Speaking of friends putting out music, some dudes I know just released this

Aleksander
Jun 22, 2012

Isn't that Rich?
This is probably dumb and stupid, and I may already know at least a few, but give me all your bands that are similar to Volumes.

Can't get enough.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Aleksander posted:

This is probably dumb and stupid, and I may already know at least a few, but give me all your bands that are similar to Volumes.

Can't get enough.

Check out Structures for sure if you haven't already.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Structures, Misery Signals, The Contortionist....there was a rash of Djent bands about two years ago that all sounded similar.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Structures, Misery Signals, The Contortionist....there was a rash of Djent bands about two years ago that all sounded similar.

Misery Signals last album was released in 2008 and it really sounds nothing like Djent.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Thank you.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Misery Signals last album was released in 2008 and it really sounds nothing like Djent.

Goddamn has it really been four years :psyduck: I still spin that record on a near daily basis

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

Goddamn has it really been four years :psyduck: I still spin that record on a near daily basis

Controller is one of my favorite albums. Everything about it is just loving awesome.

Funny enough, I don't like any of their earlier albums though.

landuros
Sep 22, 2010
If you like Volumes, check out :

Contortionist, Substructure, Bermuda, Vildjharta, Counterparts.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MMMCCLI posted:

Speaking of friends putting out music, some dudes I know just released this

I don't hate this. It's kinda generic but the style is still good. The vocals are a little underwhelming and it's about a minute and a half too long but overall it's not bad.

If I saw them randomly at a show I would probably stand there with my arms folded and nod my head to the beat, which is better than me going "gently caress this" and hanging out outside.

landuros
Sep 22, 2010
New Contortionist is even better on repeated listens. Absolutely recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Not sure if this goes here or in the regular hardcore thread but I don't really care because dudes CURL UP AND DIE IS loving REFORMING, HOLY poo poo.

http://lambgoat.com/news/18680/Curl-Up-And-Die-reforming-but-not-playing-REV-25