Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there an issue with RDX in The Saboteur?

Just the "Super RDX" you unlock via perk. You can only use it from the time you unlock it until the next time you load a saved game. After that it's gone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This has been covered over and over again, but it bears repeating once more: you absolutely can accomplish this in a non-lethal playthrough.

It's all about threat assessment--prioritize targets in order of the risk they pose to your friend, not to you (also, I hope you have an EMP grenade before going into this fight!).

If you run to that elevator too early like a coward, you deserve the scene you get to see, you heartless piece of poo poo :colbert:

This scene is a huge pain in the rear end to do nonlethal, and I suspect it is why I didn't get the achievement. The problem is that the mech gets dropped right next to two dudes. The problem is that the mech BLOWS UP when it dies, which will kill the people that you presumably knocked out. Also, one of the guys on the second floor is next to an explosive barrel, which wouldn't be a big deal normally, except I've seen him strafe while trying to shoot me, instead shooting the barrel and exploding (and killing) himself.

Nonlethal is a punishing way to play the game and you may not even get the drat achievement for it.

Oh, another DX3 tip is that when you get to China, you'll get a mission to infiltrate a bar. Do not go through the sewers and explore the cellar. Instead, go up on the main floor and start talking around. There will be a conversation battle there that you may miss if you did what I did and explored.. The game has a few instances where exploring sort of penalizes you, either in wasted time (this is especially true in hubs, as you will likely get quests that hit each of the major locations) or in the situation above.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I got the achievement despite blowing up a guy when EMPing the mech. I still managed to save Malik.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GrandpaPants posted:

This scene is a huge pain in the rear end to do nonlethal, and I suspect it is why I didn't get the achievement. The problem is that the mech gets dropped right next to two dudes. The problem is that the mech BLOWS UP when it dies, which will kill the people that you presumably knocked out. Also, one of the guys on the second floor is next to an explosive barrel, which wouldn't be a big deal normally, except I've seen him strafe while trying to shoot me, instead shooting the barrel and exploding (and killing) himself.
This should probably go on the wiki as well: Though the non-lethal achievement is a bit buggy, in theory if you don't get experience for killing people, they don't count as a kill for the achiev. That means people caught in the bot explosion / people who somehow manage to kill themselves.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xander77 posted:

This should probably go on the wiki as well: Though the non-lethal achievement is a bit buggy, in theory if you don't get experience for killing people, they don't count as a kill for the achiev. That means people caught in the bot explosion / people who somehow manage to kill themselves.

With the exception of the guys in the tutorial, who you don't get XP for but still count against the achievement if you kill them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ToxicFrog posted:

With the exception of the guys in the tutorial, who you don't get XP for but still count against the achievement if you kill them.

In other words, don't go for the nonlethal achievement, it's a major PITA and feels awkward and unrealistic. If you really want to, do it in your head; if you get to the end of the game and haven't filled anyone with bullets when you actually had another choice, consider yourself to have won.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I had no idea there were so many issues with the non-lethal achievement. I got it on my first run through on hard, along with the no alarms achievement.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Anything I should know about The Darkness or its sequel?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cliff posted:

Anything I should know about The Darkness or its sequel?

Both are straightforward games but there's one important thing you need to know in the first. The final assassination mission sends you after a deputy or something in an alley. He's located in one of the rooms above and you have to send one of your wall climbing things after him. I say this because there's no indication he's up there, this is the only time in the game you really have to do this, and his open window looks identical to several others.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Rather Dashing posted:

I had no idea there were so many issues with the non-lethal achievement. I got it on my first run through on hard, along with the no alarms achievement.

I also did non-lethal and no-alarms on my first playthrough of DXHR. But it wasn't fun. It was stressful making sure I didn't accidentally kill someone or set off an alarm, and it involved a lot of reloading. When I played a second time, with the freedom to kill and trip alarms as I pleased, the game was far more enjoyable. Even on the hardest difficulty.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Don't go for either achievement on your first run. Do whatever the hell you want. It's how the game is meant to be played.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Since people are still talking about Deus Ex: Human Revolutions, is there any particular reason NOT to play the game like a Mass Effect clone? Everyone seems to only talk about hacking and stealth gameplay. Sometimes you just want to shoot things but I don't want to find out halfway through there's mandatory stealth and I put all my points into shotgun.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leafy Wall posted:

Since people are still talking about Deus Ex: Human Revolutions, is there any particular reason NOT to play the game like a Mass Effect clone? Everyone seems to only talk about hacking and stealth gameplay. Sometimes you just want to shoot things but I don't want to find out halfway through there's mandatory stealth and I put all my points into shotgun.
Yes. You lose a whole lot of XP by playing run-and-gun.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Pierzak posted:

Which, to be fair, you don't need if you're not playing stealthy / non-lethal anyway :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

IIRC there isn't a single mandatory stealth section. There's a few areas that could be tough to tackle 100% heads-on if you lack the right equipment, and at least a couple where going in guns blazing means gunning down innocents, but that's it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's less "OMG, don't do it, going in guns blazing is bad!" and more that there's not much advice to give besides "Aim gun at bad guy, push shoot button".

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The pistol and revolver are both amazing, especially when upgraded with armour-piercing and explosive rounds respectively. If you go gung-ho then you'll probably be using those guns a lot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's less "OMG, don't do it, going in guns blazing is bad!" and more that there's not much advice to give besides "Aim gun at bad guy, push shoot button".
Make sure you use the freaking cover system. I managed to make my way through Alpha Protcol, ME1-2 and other games where the cover system was shoved in because it was the thing to do (thanks, Rockstar) barely ever using cover, but it's pretty vital in HR.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The pistol and revolver are both amazing, especially when upgraded with armour-piercing and explosive rounds respectively. If you go gung-ho then you'll probably be using those guns a lot.

I upgraded the poo poo out of the pistol, it was the perfect blend of guns and stealth. Playing either-or seems to make the game harder, which is fine. I liked using both, personally.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As far as I recall finding pistol and revolver ammo becomes more difficult near the end. HR is really stingy with its ammo, giving you maybe 12 bullets for searching someone. I played a mix of stealth and shooting depending on the scenario and I still found myself having to switch between three different weapons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A couple things I'm confused on in AC: Brotherhood:

-I know there are Subject 16 glyphs like in the previous game, but how do I activate them? I found one on the backside of a building early on but no amount of climbing around near it kicked things off, and I couldn't get Ezio to climb directly on it.

-How much should I worry about full synchronization? I'm guessing that I have to hit a certain % to beat the game but what about going over that?

I'm sure these have been answered before but they aren't on the wiki and I forgot that trick to searching the thread, sorry.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

C-Euro posted:

A couple things I'm confused on in AC: Brotherhood:

-I know there are Subject 16 glyphs like in the previous game, but how do I activate them? I found one on the backside of a building early on but no amount of climbing around near it kicked things off, and I couldn't get Ezio to climb directly on it.
Climbing into them is how they activate. There shouldn't be any trick to it. If you're having trouble getting in from below, you could hang from above them, drop, and 'catch' them to climb in that way.

quote:

-How much should I worry about full synchronization? I'm guessing that I have to hit a certain % to beat the game but what about going over that?
The only thing synchronization does is unlock the optional Christina missions. The last one opens up at 75%, which is pretty easy to get. You shouldn't worry about replaying missions if you lose full sync.

You also unlock cheats by getting 100% sync for an entire segment, but those can only be activated when replaying missions, not free-roaming, so they're pretty pointless.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pierzak posted:

Play the way you want to and don't worry about XP. The only thing XP does is give you Praxis, and you'll be given all the Praxis you need.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah. If you take pains to optimise your XP gain, the only result is that by the last, oh, 25% of the game every level-up becomes "now, what completely useless ability I'm never going to bother with do I want to buy?".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah. If you take pains to optimise your XP gain, the only result is that by the last, oh, 25% of the game every level-up becomes "now, what completely useless ability I'm never going to bother with do I want to buy?".
I actually read on the wiki that it is, in fact, possible to get enough XP to get every single ability. It involves getting just about every single bonus, killing just about every enemy possible with a double-takedown, and enough :spergin: to alphabetize the internet.

Exps
Jun 14, 2008
Dead Island

-By the time you get to use guns, it'll be too late to really enjoy them.
-Most cutting melee weapons do the job.
-Do all your side quests so you don't miss out on any weapon mods (though I doubt you'd actually use most of the weapons you make).
-Jump kicking works really well when trying to escape.
-End game is ridiculously boring.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Exps posted:

Dead Island

-By the time you get to use guns, it'll be too late to really enjoy them.
-Most cutting melee weapons do the job.
-Do all your side quests so you don't miss out on any weapon mods (though I doubt you'd actually use most of the weapons you make).
-Jump kicking works really well when trying to escape.
-End game is ridiculously boring.

-If you've used a lot of resources to make a fancy upgraded item, don't throw it. The physics system eats thrown weapons disappointingly often.

edit:
-As a corollary to that last point, if you play Logan and purchased the 50% return rate skill, absolutely do make explosive knives. They're not *too* expensive to make, and since they explode on throw anyway, the physics system eating them is no longer something you have to worry about. Also you have a decent shot at getting it back afterward.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 8, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lone Survivor
-While you can, theoretically, get through the whole game without killing a single enemy, trying to do so on your first playthrough will drive you mad. Don't waste ammo, but if you need to kill something, go ahead.
-If you don't know what to do next, try listening to the radio.
-The can opener is in 205. The door to the room overlaps the door out, so it's easy to miss, and about half of the 'good' food in the game is useless without it. You can't get it until you have the handgun or flares, though.
-If You idles for a moment, his idle animation may give you a hint about if you should sleep or eat. The messages about needing to eat or sleep ping your mental health very slightly, but it adds up.
-Watch the secondary options on your items, especially food. The only red herring is milk, which can't be combined with anything, despite having the option. Some items are a part of multiple recipes.
-The bottles are more useful than the milk that comes in them.
-If You's mental health is low, you'll miss out on several optional, but very useful items.
-You can get an infinite amount of rotten meat from the fridge in your room (206), though You can only carry 6 at a time. It's a crucial part of bypassing most enemies without killing them, so be sure to stock back up every time you go out.
-The blue pills damage mental health. This doesn't just apply to You.
-Make sure you save before you call the elevator down to the basement.
-If you find a mirror, you should probably use it.
-Which ending you get is mostly decided by your mental health.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What should I know about Endless Space? I know there's a whole thread devoted to the game but they're all talking about FIDS and blue protocap monopolies while I'm scratching my head staring at the tech tree trying to figure out if I should research lasers or learn how to colonize deserts first...beginner tips on what I should be doing at the beginning of the game, and what general things I should be emphasizing and avoiding throughout is the kind of tips I'm looking for.

I've been playing as the United Empire, if that makes a big difference.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Colon V posted:

Lone Survivor

Does number of days used count against you for anything?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheRagamuffin posted:

Does number of days used count against you for anything?
No, but going to sleep "for no reason" (when you're not tired) does (if only a bit), and if you waste too much time, you'll start to run out of food (though you've got plenty to last you at least a few weeks, if you look for it). So, feel free to sleep when you need to, but if you're a compulsive saver, now might be the time to get over that habit.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ainsley McTree posted:

What should I know about Endless Space? I know there's a whole thread devoted to the game but they're all talking about FIDS and blue protocap monopolies while I'm scratching my head staring at the tech tree trying to figure out if I should research lasers or learn how to colonize deserts first...beginner tips on what I should be doing at the beginning of the game, and what general things I should be emphasizing and avoiding throughout is the kind of tips I'm looking for.

I've been playing as the United Empire, if that makes a big difference.

The United Empire is a good beginner faction, so stick with them. They are a straightforward defensive faction which is good at making tons of money, their ships get lots more hp and their planets are hard to capture, so you'll have a few extra turns to react.

The first thing you should know is that, out of your starting heroes, if any of them are Administrators (gear and wheat icon), hire them and stick them on your systems. When they level up pick Labor perks, and anything that gives +industry or +food. This will get you started well. You should also drop your taxes until your empire happiness is "Fervent" (80% or better). Since you are the Empire you will be making money anyway, and this will provide massive research, industry, and food bonuses to all your planets.

Unlike many 4x games, if you expand too fast your people will hate you since uncle jim is eighty light-years away. Capture only the best planets, in six or so systems. The best planets are jungle, terran, and ocean, arid and tundra are second best. If a planet has a positive anomaly on it like Rich Soil, Low Gravity, etc., then those are better. The reason why those planets are the best to colonize early is they make lots of food, and the higher your population, the more of everything you'll make. The best systems are ones that can support HIGH POPULATION. Try to get systems with lots of planets in them, even if only one or two planets is any good, later you'll be able to terraform the others up to snuff and make a real powerhouse system out of it.

So in short: Early on you should colonize...
1: Terran, Jungle, and Ocean planets, Arid or Tundra planets if those are all that's available
2: Planets with special bonuses or resources.
3: Systems with many planets in them.
4: Don't colonize (until later) planet types that give more than a -10 penalty to happiness (lava, barren, gas giant, asteroid). If the planet has a positive anomaly that adds happiness, that can make it good.
5: Don't colonize too many systems right away, due to expansion-based unhappiness. Six is a good solid start.

So now you've got some good systems. The first thing you should build on any system, no exceptions, is the Heavy Isotope Refineries improvement. Early on your systems have crap population, so you want improvements that give a flat bonus regardless of how big your population is. The isotope refineries will give you a flat bonus to industry that will let you build other stuff and actually get productive. Fortunately you're playing the UE, so you start with the heavy isotope refineries research unlocked for free.

The second thing you should do is build a planet exploitation on your colonized planet. I highly recommend the food exploitation. More food means faster-growing population, and high population improves production of everything. Once your population caps out you can change the exploitation to industry or whatever you want.

Your first three researches willl probably be Soil Xenobiology, which makes your food exploitations better, Arid Epigenetics, and Xenobotany so you can claim those arid and tundra planets. Unless you're playing on a very small map or have lots of enemy factions, you can ignore military research for a while. More on that later. After you get those three, look around your empire and if you have Redsang, Bluecap Mold, Dustwater, or Hydromiel resources anywhere, take a turn or two to grab the Xenology research so you can make use of them. If not, then skip it and beeline straight for Nonbaryonic Particles on the right-hand side. This unlocks access to some really good luxury resources, but the real reason for getting it is it unlocks the Magnetic Field Generators. Build these in all your systems as soon as you can. They crank up the research in that system by a massive +40 research points per turn, regardless of the system's population. These will catapult your research into the midgame tier. Once you've got that tech, get Core Mining and High-Energy Magnetics to improve your industrial capacity.

So a good early research order in short:

1: Soil Xenobiology
2: Xenobotany and Arid Epigenetics
3: NONBARYONIC PARTICLES
4: Core Mining
5: High-Energy Magnetics

So now you've probably met some other empires and from here it's harder to say what's an optimal build. If you've got more space to expand, grab the Botanical Scanning tech to build supermarkets and offset the happiness penalties. If you started next to a belligerent faction, head for Flawless Machining and Efficient Shielding to make laser destroyers before they are likely to have any shield techs researched at all. If you've got some good-looking planets in your existing systems, get the techs to colonize them (make sure to maximize food production to fill up the new population space.)

The galaxy is your oyster!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Endless Space

This is absolutely fantastic, and was completely what I was looking for. Thank you!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This somewhat applies to this thread:

I'm playing Dead Space for the first time, still in the first 'Chapter', and I'm curious if the game 'speeds up' at any point. I look like an underweight Big Daddy and I'm walking a little bit faster than the underwater/in space sections in KOTOR, even if 'running'.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gynovore posted:

In other words, don't go for the nonlethal achievement, it's a major PITA and feels awkward and unrealistic. If you really want to, do it in your head; if you get to the end of the game and haven't filled anyone with bullets when you actually had another choice, consider yourself to have won.
I would not normally be defensive about an achievement in a game, but I seriously do not understand how anyone can think a non-lethal playthrough is a pain. I found it wonderfully satisfying to know that every enemy would go down with one shot/punch from whatever I was doing. I tried shooting someone down with a machine gun once, and was hugely disappointed at how long it seemed to take in comparison. Though I suppose I admit those were not upgraded weapons I was trying out.

Rather Dashing posted:

But YOU are lying :colbert: No alarms. IMPOSSIBLE! I forgot what, but some people theorize that the police station might set off an alarm if you walk into the wrong place accidentally, or something like that, even if they are not hostile toward you? I do not remember. I just know no alarms went off and I still did not get credit at the end of the game.

Colon V posted:

I actually read on the wiki that it is, in fact, possible to get enough XP to get every single ability. It involves getting just about every single bonus, killing just about every enemy possible with a double-takedown, and enough :spergin: to alphabetize the internet.
I am not a :spergin: :( Though I think I was still two away from getting all of the enhancements at the end. If you enjoy takedowns, and enjoy double takedowns more than normal takedowns, it seems hard to me to NOT end up with nearly all of the abilities by the end of the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quarex posted:

I am not a :spergin: :( Though I think I was still two away from getting all of the enhancements at the end. If you enjoy takedowns, and enjoy double takedowns more than normal takedowns, it seems hard to me to NOT end up with nearly all of the abilities by the end of the game.
What I mean is that there is just enough XP to get every single point. So, coming close is not unheard of, but getting every single one takes something near obsession.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Colon V posted:

What I mean is that there is just enough XP to get every single point. So, coming close is not unheard of, but getting every single one takes something near obsession.

It's not like you need just about any of the hacking skills, though. Is it true that the team writing the hacking part of the game just weren't talking with the teams writing the rest of the systems?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheRagamuffin posted:

It's not like you need just about any of the hacking skills, though. Is it true that the team writing the hacking part of the game just weren't talking with the teams writing the rest of the systems?
Maybe. I do know that the boss fights were outsourced.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm guessing double takedowns are what they claim to be, and let you take down two enemies at once?

How close to they have to be standing to one another/how do you activate it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Centipeed posted:

I'm guessing double takedowns are what they claim to be, and let you take down two enemies at once?

How close to they have to be standing to one another/how do you activate it?

That's exactly it, yes.
The enemies have to be fairly close to each other, like a couple of feet. If it is possible to pull off, it'll just replace the regular non-lethal option on Q (or whatever button it is) meaning you just take down both enemies by hitting Q instead of just one.
Think of it more like a contextual ability like the wall-breaking augmentation; There are basically a couple of very defined and specific situations throughout the game where it applies, but it's not a universally applicable combat tactic or anything.
That said, it is very handy because obviously the devs have placed pairs of enemies in some very critical positions here and there that cater to just that aug.