Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I have both G and N on a E3000 running Tomato and the only time in the past 6 months I've used the 5 is when I had the microwave on. Unfortunately I see no benefit to N. G plays 720p video just fine, but neither are capable of streaming 1080p without stuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Bought a Linksys E2500 and attempted to install DD-WRT according to the instructions on their site. I've tried it twice and both times the firmware upgrade progress stops at 99% and then just sits there for an hour. Is there something I could be doing wrong?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

zalmoxes posted:

I have both G and N on a E3000 running Tomato and the only time in the past 6 months I've used the 5 is when I had the microwave on. Unfortunately I see no benefit to N. G plays 720p video just fine, but neither are capable of streaming 1080p without stuttering.

Try living in an apartment building. Every 2.4ghz channel used by multiple APs.

Even my PS3 controllers gently caress up on certain days.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I use TomatoUSB on mine, but I know you need DD-WRT r19327 or up for dual-band support with that new chipset on E3200/E2500:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin

This still doesn't have 5ghz support.

I just flashed it and there is no options anywhere to for 5ghz :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zalmoxes posted:

Unfortunately I see no benefit to N. G plays 720p video just fine, but neither are capable of streaming 1080p without stuttering.

Depends on the bitrate. My Panasonic TV has no trouble streaming 1080p from Netflix or Vudu over G.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not really a home networking question but if I've got a 10G switch with 1x10G device hooked up and 10x1G devices, will the 10G device bandwidth be utilized beyond 1G if all the 1G devices start communicating with the 10G device at the same time? Does anything special need to be setup for this to work?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Namlemez posted:

Which wireless clients are having problems?
My iPad mostly, I do a bit of tv watching on it with HBOGO and Optimum Online app.

EmeraldCity
Jun 28, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Shaocaholica posted:

Not really a home networking question but if I've got a 10G switch with 1x10G device hooked up and 10x1G devices, will the 10G device bandwidth be utilized beyond 1G if all the 1G devices start communicating with the 10G device at the same time? Does anything special need to be setup for this to work?

The answer is "it depends". Some older switches used to market themselves as a certain bandwidth rate as an accural of all POTENTIAL bandwidth that pushes through the switch. Most switches today (all that I can think of) now market their switches based on switchport ratings. That meaning, say I have a stack of Cisco 3750XL switches with 48 ports in my home network - each of those 48 ports is capable of 1 gig speeds, full duplex. So the total potential throughput of the switch is significantly higher than 1 gig (Cisco claims a theoretical speed of 190 GB, but that's in bizarro-Cisco-world where reality is suspended for poppies and unicorns), but no port is going to suddenly become capable of processing 10 gigs of traffic (except if you toss in a couple of fiber modules in ports 49-52).

The short answer is, it depends what each port on your switch is capable of handling, not the overall switch.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hank Delibird posted:

Is there a good MikroTik solution for doing Simultaneous Dual Band AGN? I've been looking around and it appears the best way to go about that would be an RB433GL and 2 R52hM cards which is a really expensive route to go. I need to be able to use the 5GHz spectrum because the 2.4GHz spectrum is cramped where I'm living which knocks the RB751 off the list for me.

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck with Mikrotik in this regard. Its dual-band support isn't very good. Folks in the Mikrotik forums also point out that the Mikrotik is a 2x2 device for MIMO while an Airport Extreme is 3x3 meaning you have much better noise rejection with the Airport as well as simultaneous dual-band.

Unless there is something specific you need from the Mikrotik, this might be a good spot to try the Airport Extreme. I love Mikrotik an awful lot but my experience with 802.11n on their gear hasn't been impressive so far.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

EmeraldCity posted:

The short answer is, it depends what each port on your switch is capable of handling, not the overall switch.

It might be advertised as backplane speed or something similar, but there aren't many 10g switches that I can think of that have a backplane speed that won't let you utilize all available interface bandwidth. Unless it's a dlink or something? Regardless the 10g port should at least be able to do > 1g. Perhaps he should tell us the model of the switch.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
EDIT: Whoops, I meant to post this in the hardware thread!

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 6, 2012

Dude Warez my .tar
Feb 17, 2007

Worst Poster Award '07

CuddleChunks posted:

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck with Mikrotik in this regard. Its dual-band support isn't very good. Folks in the Mikrotik forums also point out that the Mikrotik is a 2x2 device for MIMO while an Airport Extreme is 3x3 meaning you have much better noise rejection with the Airport as well as simultaneous dual-band.

Unless there is something specific you need from the Mikrotik, this might be a good spot to try the Airport Extreme. I love Mikrotik an awful lot but my experience with 802.11n on their gear hasn't been impressive so far.

Alright, thanks. I'll have to go the DD-WRT or Tomato route then since from what I've read about the AEBS it doesn't have web config and isn't as customizable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Unless you really need 3rd-party firmware or a browser interface, the Airport Extreme is the best thing you can buy right now in the consumer market as far as I can tell. The transmit power is ridiculous and as have already been posted, the specs are stupendous.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Unless you really need 3rd-party firmware or a browser interface, the Airport Extreme is the best thing you can buy right now in the consumer market as far as I can tell. The transmit power is ridiculous and as have already been posted, the specs are stupendous.
I recently got an Airport Extreme and would highly recommend it. I used to have to mess with my router, reset it, do a factory reset and haven't had to touch the settings since setting it up. My speeds also improved for basic web browsing. It's not the cheapest router out there but at least you don't have to install some alternate firmware just to get it working right.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Does the E3200 work with netflow analyzers? I'm still trying to figure out the bandwidth hogs in my home.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
All the computers, phones etc. in the house can connect to the wifi fine except my main desktop which is upstairs from the router - it occasionally gets decent speeds but drops down to ~10KBps at times too. I think it's because of the wireless adapter - it's a tiny thumbnail-sized USB thing. I had one which had a long wire that I could put on top of my desk and that worked better but I lost it, can anyone recommend an adapter that will be more consistent, preferably one that has a wire rather than plugging directly into a USB port.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

All the computers, phones etc. in the house can connect to the wifi fine except my main desktop which is upstairs from the router - it occasionally gets decent speeds but drops down to ~10KBps at times too. I think it's because of the wireless adapter - it's a tiny thumbnail-sized USB thing. I had one which had a long wire that I could put on top of my desk and that worked better but I lost it, can anyone recommend an adapter that will be more consistent, preferably one that has a wire rather than plugging directly into a USB port.

I friend of mine had good experience using these in her apartment. If you have a useless router lying around, you could also build a bridge.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

zalmoxes posted:

I friend of mine had good experience using these in her apartment. If you have a useless router lying around, you could also build a bridge.
I have a spare Virgin Media Superhub, would that work?
e: To clarify, I have two superhubs, is it possible to set up a wireless bridge between the two?

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 7, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Infinite Monkeys posted:

You can get a USB extension cable so that you can reposition the dongle

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Do these things work without WDS? Superhubs are completely poo poo and don't support WDS :(

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Minor update to the op with the addition of an introduction and restructuring so routers are first and firmware second.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I need to replace the WAP in my kitchen. I'm planning on just getting an Airport Express, but I haven't kept up on the access point scene at all. It would be wired into the network, so it doesn't need any wireless repeating capability or anything.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The new airport express is out in a white apple tv format.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC414LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg

The wired connection is only 100 mbit/s but I'm assuming that isn't an issue for kitchen access.

e: In my opinion it's not cost effective but if it fits with your current network run with it. Note that you could wireless repeat on two different wireless channels at speeds higher than the wired connection.

Other access points are half the price but don't have dual band wireless.

e2: Have this unboxing and review video demonstrating setup and use as an access point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjfAv34MaEI

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 7, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, we have the new Expresses in my shop, so I've seen them and set them up. I really like the new look and having an actual cord of them is pretty great a lot of the time.

I didn't realize they were still only 100 mbit though. That's not a total dealbreaker since the rest of our network equipment is still only 100 mbit for the most part, but I would like to start switching over to gigabit, so buying new equipment (especially at Airport prices) without it seems useless.

I guess I'll just go with my original plan of buying a mid-range router and setting it up as an AP.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Run-CMD posted:

As long as you don't need extensive Linux support like hostap mode, go for the Intel Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop. You'll have more flexibility in antenna placement compared to the little 3 dB nub antennas that come with most desktop cards. Also since it is basically a laptop card in a mini PCIe to PCIe adapter, it'll be easier to swap out for the latest wireless card down the line. Desktop wifi cards don't get as much attention as their mini PCIe counterparts.

So, yo, I finally went ahead and got this. But I actually have even worse connectivity than the little $5 USB stick I had before!? I have no idea how or why this happened and it seems to be true regardless of where I put the antenna. I'm pinging my router for anywhere between 6ms and 600ms. How do I fix this? Help me networking thread you're my only hope!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Install inSSIDer on your pc. It's time to pick up the aerial and move it around until you can find the best reception.

Other checks to make; are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz? You will have different reception quality (due to range) depending on which band you are using.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The 802.11n Airport Express isn't half bad, although they ganked USB based file services, it only does USB printer sharing.

Since it's $99, it ought to be in the under $99 category.

Apple continues to use etched chip-based antennas in their routers, guess they'd never go for those rubber ducky 5 dB antennas.

Devian666, here's something you can add to the OP when you get a chance:

Airport Express (2nd Generation)
NOT DD-WRT OR TOMATO COMPATIBLE, 64 MB RAM, 16 MB flash, Qualcomm Atheros AR9344 @ 600 MHz processor, simultaneous dual band radio, 2X2 MIMO, two 10/100 Mb Ethernet ports, USB print server, Apple Airplay speaker streaming, $99

(don't include below text)

The 16 MB flash is conjecture as there's no mention of it in the article, but since it appears to use the same proprietary Apple firmware v.7.6.2 that the Extreme does, I'd be willing to bet it's the same.

I'm also willing to bet Apple's running the AR9344 at the top speed of 600 MHz (chip specs say it can run from 533 to 600 MHz) since its routing performance was remarked to be pretty good.

Edit: if you want to see a comparison in network throughput between the new Express and the current 5th Gen. Extreme, look here. Test machine was an HP laptop, FWIW.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 8, 2012

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

My tomato based router seems to drop my IRC connection every three hours on the dot. It's probably dropping other connections too, but it's harder to monitor those.

Is there some setting causes this? I think my DD-WRT router was doing the same thing, but not other routers.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Ninja Rope posted:

It might be advertised as backplane speed or something similar, but there aren't many 10g switches that I can think of that have a backplane speed that won't let you utilize all available interface bandwidth. Unless it's a dlink or something? Regardless the 10g port should at least be able to do > 1g. Perhaps he should tell us the model of the switch.

It might be processor limited, but a 3750G in GNS3 starts to stutter at around 15gbps. Granted, if you're seeing sustained 15gbps in a home environment you've probably got bigger bottlenecks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
It looks like about 5 days ago the guys that have been making custom firmware for the ASUS RT-N56U swapped out the existing GUI (which wasn't half bad to begin with for a default), with something a lot cleaner and custom:

I think with this project being so actively developed and pulling code from the wive-rtnl project, I have no need for the other firmware that haven't supported the router yet.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

ultrabay2000 posted:

My tomato based router seems to drop my IRC connection every three hours on the dot. It's probably dropping other connections too, but it's harder to monitor those.

Is there some setting causes this? I think my DD-WRT router was doing the same thing, but not other routers.

Check the tcp/udp timeout settings and tweak them to something longer.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

DaNzA posted:

Check the tcp/udp timeout settings and tweak them to something longer.

The TCP established timeout was set to four hours. I increased the UDP assured timeout to 30 minutes?

Looking at the logs, it keeps getting a SIGTERM every three hours.

http://pastebin.com/KmAeSAUH

I looked for an automatic reboot, but it's not set. It dosen't show any scripts running.

ultrabay2000 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 9, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Our internet connection here has been down for over a week and a half, and Comcast still has yet to come out and fix whatever the hell they did to gently caress it up. My neighbors are running an open wireless connection with the default SSID, but it was really unreliable and lovely. So I logged into the interface with the default administrative password, upgraded their firmware, and optimized their wireless settings.

I like to think of myself as a good Samaritan.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

psydude posted:

Our internet connection here has been down for over a week and a half, and Comcast still has yet to come out and fix whatever the hell they did to gently caress it up. My neighbors are running an open wireless connection with the default SSID, but it was really unreliable and lovely. So I logged into the interface with the default administrative password, upgraded their firmware, and optimized their wireless settings.

I like to think of myself as a good Samaritan.
Ummm, that's the Internet equivalent of mowing some one else's overgrown lawn because you like using it when they're not at home.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

That can get you in massive trouble that's just not worth it. However, if you left the SSID the same and installed DD-WRT or tomato on the router, they might not notice a change ever.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Ummm, that's the Internet equivalent of mowing some one else's overgrown lawn because you like using it when they're not at home.

Germany takes a different view; if you leave an open WAP that is a crime and you end up getting fined for it. So if you locked someone out of their own access point you would be stopping a crime.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nevermind, I figured out MAC addresses are not transferred when routing.

DrCuntmuffins fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 10, 2012

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
I just picked up a WNDR3700 from Asia (WNDR3700-100AUS) and was wondering if I should bother putting a custom firmware on it. I've been running a WRT54GL with Tomato for about a decade now so I don't know how these dual band routers would work. Should I save futzing around with firmware until I actually notice a need? I have wired gigabit devices and 5 or 6 wireless (laptop, phones, tablets) that all support N.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

soj89 posted:

I just picked up a WNDR3700 from Asia (WNDR3700-100AUS) and was wondering if I should bother putting a custom firmware on it. I've been running a WRT54GL with Tomato for about a decade now so I don't know how these dual band routers would work. Should I save futzing around with firmware until I actually notice a need? I have wired gigabit devices and 5 or 6 wireless (laptop, phones, tablets) that all support N.

I've been using this guy's OpenWRT builds on my WNDR3700 (and now 3800) for almost 2 years and they've been rock solid with up to 17 devices connected. Initially the custom firmware was out of pure necessity in getting my IPTV-based PVR working on a device that wasn't an unstable piece of poo poo, but I still think just being able to set/confirm my power output and having SSHd running is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Are there any gigabit LAN, dual/multi wan, AND dual band routers coming to the market?