Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UnquietDream posted:

I finished Long Earth yesterday and I'm still digesting it, there were a few moments of hyper-characterisation as in 'quick we have to convey that these people are British in a way every reader will get, shove everything remotely connotes British into them'. But other than that I enjoyed it, but it's something that's so open to a sequel that without one it seems almost a lesser work. By that I mean that they introduce a lot of interesting concepts which I feel weren't fully explored within the book and would benefit from more in-depth analysis which by necessity would require revisiting the world.

I'm inclined to agree with that assessment. There's a lot of setup, but not a great deal of plot. It puts me in mind of Dante's Inferno, actually - it's not about what you see so much as about the journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I haven't read it yet, but I picked up a copy and I'm pretty sure the blurb on the dust jacket mentions that it's the start of a new series, doesn't it?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

At the very least it's part one of a two part (for now) series. There's plenty of room (lol) for more stuff in the same setting.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

UnquietDream posted:

I finished Long Earth yesterday and I'm still digesting it, there were a few moments of hyper-characterisation as in 'quick we have to convey that these people are British in a way every reader will get, shove everything remotely connotes British into them'. But other than that I enjoyed it, but it's something that's so open to a sequel that without one it seems almost a lesser work. By that I mean that they introduce a lot of interesting concepts which I feel weren't fully explored within the book and would benefit from more in-depth analysis which by necessity would require revisiting the world.

Haven't read it yet, but I'd swear I heard that's exactly what it was ; the first in a series of collaborations between the two authors.

E: f, b

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Yeah I'm dumb, checked out the dust jacket and it does say 'The Long Earth is the first novel in an exciting new collaboration between the creator of Discworld Terry Pratchett and the acclaimed SF writer Stephen Baxter'

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I really hope Pratchett has The Last Discworld novel already planned out. He's already making plans for his own death, so I could see him being an author making the effort to have a grande finale that really IS a grande finale with no possibility of the author having a change of heart.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mister Roboto posted:

I really hope Pratchett has The Last Discworld novel already planned out. He's already making plans for his own death, so I could see him being an author making the effort to have a grande finale that really IS a grande finale with no possibility of the author having a change of heart.

If I were writing a brilliant, brilliant Discworld show for HBO a-la Game Of Thrones I'd have started by fixing The Last Hero as the finale and work backwards from there. It just works so well, and it's even got one of those great final lines that Pterry's normally so hit and miss about.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
An HBO show about the City Watch, done as one of those sprawling, ensemble-focused series that HBO is so good at (like True Blood, The Wire, The Sopranos, and Game of Thrones) would own all of the bones.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Nilbop posted:

If I were writing a brilliant, brilliant Discworld show for HBO a-la Game Of Thrones I'd have started by fixing The Last Hero as the finale and work backwards from there. It just works so well, and it's even got one of those great final lines that Pterry's normally so hit and miss about.

Yeah, The Last Hero is pretty much the final discworld novel. No need to gently caress with that.

It's got all a brilliant theme of despair to it, and then, right at the end, it's hopeful.

"Are you dead or not?" she said.

Cohen scanned the snow. "Well, the way I see it, we don't think we are; so why should we care what anyone else thinks? We never have. Ready, Hamish? Then follow me, boys!"

Oh, and just before that is one of my favorite lines from any discworld novel: "I ain't dead!" roared Mad Hamish. "I'll knock any man doon as tells me a'm dead!"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 7, 2012

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't really know if I'd want a Last Novel. It's not like the stories had a beginning to start with. I'm pretty sure that's been a theme in several of the books; no ends, no beginnings, just people and things that happen to them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Guilty posted:

An HBO show about the City Watch, done as one of those sprawling, ensemble-focused series that HBO is so good at (like True Blood, The Wire, The Sopranos, and Game of Thrones) would own all of the bones.

There's already plans for a City Watch TV series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As morbid as it sounds, when Terry finally decides to go, I kind of hope he's buried with a sign that says "I ATEN'T DEAD" on his chest.

Because as long as we have his books, he never will be. :unsmith:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Jedit posted:

There's already plans for a City Watch TV series.

Well, if it's HBO, I hope they keep the nudity down to Pratchett levels. The only tits in the City Watch should be Nobby and Colon.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

As morbid as it sounds, when Terry finally decides to go, I kind of hope he's buried with a sign that says "I ATEN'T DEAD" on his chest.

Because as long as we have his books, he never will be. :unsmith:

Or his gravestone is just a big marble obelisk with a stonecarving of a little wooden sign saying the above.

Oh my God I feel morbid now.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nilbop posted:

Haha, I said that exact same thing like months ago in this very thread. It's funny to see your own opinion given back to you.

The Last Hero really does work as a finale, ESPECIALLY as it manages to incorporate elements of the first Discworld books into the modern stylings.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Haha, I said that exact same thing like months ago in this very thread. It's funny to see your own opinion given back to you.

The Last Hero really does work as a finale, ESPECIALLY as it manages to incorporate elements of the first Discworld books into the modern stylings.

It was actually your post that made me go back to TLH and look at it in that light and find that it just works perfectly!

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Wolfechu posted:

Well, if it's HBO, I hope they keep the nudity down to Pratchett levels. The only tits in the City Watch should be Nobby and Colon.

Not sure we've read the same novels, since you seem to be forgetting Captain "finds time to be naked in almost every book" Angua.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mr. Moon posted:

Not sure we've read the same novels, since you seem to be forgetting Captain "finds time to be naked in almost every book" Angua.

Time for a watchman nude scene listing:
Angua
Vimes
Sally
Carrot (off camera)
Dorfl

Honorary guest star Ridcully

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Carrot was nude on-camera in Men at Arms too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure HBO could find plenty of excuses to get Sally and Angua naked.

Also exposition scenes where Moist talks through his latest plans while Adora gets dressed.

Basically cast Iain Glen as Moist is where I'm going with that because it would be great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chris Hemsworth for Carrot please, if nudity becomes a prerequisite.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

I'm sure HBO could find plenty of excuses to get Sally and Angua naked.

Also exposition scenes where Moist talks through his latest plans while Adora gets dressed.

Basically cast Iain Glen as Moist is where I'm going with that because it would be great.

Iain Glen is 15-20 years too old for Moist. He'd be a good Vimes though. Hemsworth wouldn't be a bad choice for Carrot actually. He looks the part, the only thing is that little pause he does before he talks where you just know it's the body waiting for the blood to reach all the important bits.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Iain Glen is basically what Vimes looks like in my head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm retarded, I had Iain Glen confused with Aidan Gillen. Littlefinger as Moist is where I was going with that.

I'm just gonna say what we're all thinking: Peter Dinklage as Cheery Littlebottom.

Jerome Flynn (Bronn) as Nobby, OF COURSE.

And whoever played King Robert as Fred Colon.

Ugh I hate that this will never happen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alan Rickman as Captain Carrot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
John Malkovich as the vampire news photographer.

Dwayne Johnson as Sgt. Detritus.

Your move. :colbert:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

FactsAreUseless posted:

Alan Rickman as Captain Carrot.

Alan Rickman as Vetinari. Or get Jeremy Irons to do it again. Jeremy Iron's Vetinary was the bee's knees.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Iacen posted:

Alan Rickman as Vetinari. Or get Jeremy Irons to do it again. Jeremy Iron's Vetinary was the bee's knees.

I always liked Charles Dance's Vetinari in Going Postal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iacen posted:

No. For, say, a Men at Arms movie I'd get Patrick Warburton to play Vetinari. Alan Rickman is Carrot, Michael Cera is Vimes, and Dakota Fanning plays Angua (because you need a blonde, obviously). Eddie Izzard is both Colon and Nobbs (but he would do a funny voice for Nobbs), and Verne Troyer is Cuddy. Then you have David Bowie guest star as Detritus, because everyone likes a good Bowie cameo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

No. For, say, a Men at Arms movie I'd get Patrick Warburton to play Vetinari.

Going off how he played Puddy in Seinfeld, this would actually work pretty drat well.

Except the high-fives.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Vetinari: A gaunt, thin, snake-like figure.

Puddy: A big beefy guy who looks vaguely like Superman might look if he let himself go.

Seems fitting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Roboto posted:

Vetinari: A gaunt, thin, snake-like figure.

Puddy: A big beefy guy who looks vaguely like Superman might look if he let himself go.

Seems fitting.

I meant his deadpan demeanor. Obviously the physicality is off, but the way Warburton can deadpan a "That's right" with an implied "Now get out of my office"... look, dammit, it's a metaphor, all right?!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Peter Dinklage as Cheery and Warburton as Vetinari? Reverse that and use camera tricks on Warburton to make him look shorter and then you're talking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Iacen posted:

Jeremy Iron's Vetinary was the bee's knees.

Jeremy Irons' portrayal was pretty abysmal, to be honest. I like the idea that he was imitating Terry's voice, but you can't sound even vaguely threatening like that. Charles Dance loving owned at it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Christopher Walken could pull off a Vetinari. Well, maybe he's a bit TOO creepy and gaunt.

Hogblob
Mar 24, 2008
We haven't heard anything about the Terry Jones watch TV series for over a year, have we?
I hope it hasn't died quietly.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Jeremy Irons' portrayal was pretty abysmal, to be honest. I like the idea that he was imitating Terry's voice, but you can't sound even vaguely threatening like that. Charles Dance loving owned at it.

I really couldn't take him seriously after he called Rincewind a "little scamp" or whatever it was. There's no universe in which Vetinari would use those words in that order, ever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Jeremy Irons without the glasses is how I imagine Vetenari to look in my head,

But Charles Dance, is how I imagine him to act and sound.

And while she didn't do alot in Going Postal, I thought that Ingrid Bolsų Berdal made a pretty decent looking Angua:

She's got that slightly feral look about her, and that sharp gaze.

Since reading that Kidby based his version of Vimes off Clint Eastwood, I can't not picture him as a slightly younger Eastwood.

Mel Smith for Colon, I have no idea for Nobbs. Or for Carrot.

And Christopher Lee for Death. That heavy graven voice, falling like slabs. YES.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Pesky Splinter posted:

This I can agree with. Jeremy Irons' look was absolutely spot on, but I seem to recall him lisping a bit? Anyway, while Dance's mannerisms were much more on the spot (One of the best things about Going Postal), I can't shake Irons' version.

Anyway, I looked to see if I could find something about the Watch series and instead found this on Wiki:

quote:

Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals is a proposed two-part television adaptation of the book of the same name by Terry Pratchett to be produced by The Mob, which will be first broadcast on Sky1, and in high definition on Sky1 HD. Filming was set to take place in 2011; however, filming has been postponed and will be broadcast in 2013 instead.

It is to be the fourth in a series of adaptations, following Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic and Terry Pratchett's Going Postal.

I hadn't heard that before, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pesky Splinter posted:

Basically this, yeah. Though I thought he was said at some point to have black hair and a black goatee?