Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BlackMK4 posted:

Because dorms.

Your bikes are too drat clean :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TDD_Shizzy posted:

What desk do you have? It's best to just play with the height to find what is most comfy. I personally like my standing desks a bit taller than most, because I don't like my arms to hang to much. There are tons of options from Ikea as well, or Craigslist. Check out ikeahacker.com for ideas, just search for standing desks.

I just have a basic fixed desk, and we don't have ikea or craiglist here, so anything would have to be custom made. I was planning on propping mine up on something and use it like that for a bit, and if I find it comfortable I'll probably make a new one with some sort of leg support so I can use it with a tall chair (or just get one of those tall chairs with a leg support, like this one).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Here's my current spoace before the upgrade I am going to perform soon.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just have a basic fixed desk, and we don't have ikea or craiglist here, so anything would have to be custom made. I was planning on propping mine up on something and use it like that for a bit, and if I find it comfortable I'll probably make a new one with some sort of leg support so I can use it with a tall chair (or just get one of those tall chairs with a leg support, like this one).

I'm also looking into converting my desk into a standing one. I'm going to go with the ultra cheap-rear end route and just using boxes to prop up my laptop and grabbing a stool for when my legs get tired (standing too long isn't a good idea either). I figure if I like it then I'll do one of those Ikea hacks. The factory-built standing desks I've seen are really expensive and quite ugly. And I'll replace the stool with a drafting chair like the one you posted.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bottom Liner posted:

Your bikes are too drat clean :colbert:

Haha. It's been super dry up here - haven't seen rain in a few months.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

That extra keyboard off to the left is hooked to a KVM switch so I can switch my monitor between PC and Xbox with a couple keystrokes.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
In a couple weeks I'm going to be working from home full time, so I need a new desk and chair. I'd like to get a nice big Galant, but since Cleveland doesn't have an Ikea within 2 hours, it's pretty slim pickins. I guess I could check out Home Depot or something for a counter top and some file cabinets, but I'd rather just get something already put together. Anyone do the whole counter top thing?

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:clint: dat CRT, for the price of 4 of those Wii games you could have gotten a nice 24" LCD widescreen with HDMI input for the xbox.

Panthrax posted:

In a couple weeks I'm going to be working from home full time, so I need a new desk and chair. I'd like to get a nice big Galant, but since Cleveland doesn't have an Ikea within 2 hours, it's pretty slim pickins. I guess I could check out Home Depot or something for a counter top and some file cabinets, but I'd rather just get something already put together. Anyone do the whole counter top thing?

Best desk I've ever owned before I bought a Galant was a $30 folding utility table from Kmart, and it's still useful after you replace it.

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 2, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gutcruncher posted:

That extra keyboard off to the left is hooked to a KVM switch so I can switch my monitor between PC and Xbox with a couple keystrokes.

Your keyboard has a better display than your monitor :v:

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

As I'm mostly bedbound these days, this is my desktop. Just my lappy and headset for speech recognition when I can't type. A touch more comfy than a chair :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Butt Savage posted:

I'm also looking into converting my desk into a standing one. I'm going to go with the ultra cheap-rear end route and just using boxes to prop up my laptop and grabbing a stool for when my legs get tired (standing too long isn't a good idea either). I figure if I like it then I'll do one of those Ikea hacks. The factory-built standing desks I've seen are really expensive and quite ugly. And I'll replace the stool with a drafting chair like the one you posted.

I saw this while doing a bit of googling, and it's probably what I'll build if I decide to go this way, maybe with a half-shelf on top of the cross beams for the case/modem and power strip.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

One Eye Open posted:

As I'm mostly bedbound these days, this is my desktop. Just my lappy and headset for speech recognition when I can't type. A touch more comfy than a chair :)

Okay, I'll bite-- why?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Edmond Dantes posted:

I saw this while doing a bit of googling, and it's probably what I'll build if I decide to go this way, maybe with a half-shelf on top of the cross beams for the case/modem and power strip.

I like how in that post they complain of the price of typical standing desks...

Then turn right around and sell that desk in their store for $750, barely less than a geekdesk (motor and all!)

I do, however, wish they'd sell the plans or post them for those that can DIY, or aren't in the bay area.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Butt Savage posted:

Edmond Dantes posted:

BEHOLD: The glory that is pipe furniture:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-desks-and-68448

You could easily modify the idea to do whatever you want height/shelving-wise.

And here are some rather attractive wall shelves to go along with it (or for inspiration):

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/morgans-amazing-diy-shelving-97760

Once I move in a few weeks, it's probably the route I'm going to take. Spending <$150 on some countertop/reclaimed wood and pipes for a relatively nice looking standing desk (if you're into it) is a lot more appealing than hacking together assorted pieces of furniture or spending several times that amount (I'm poor) for what's ultimately going to be a pretty ugly desk.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Bed

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Soul Glo posted:

Okay, I'll bite-- why?

Severe fibromyalgia with some rare neurological complications that are getting more nasty - I thought my post history would show that, but I just looked, and it only has my posts since I changed my username. I've been in and out of hospital for the last few months and can't stand or walk unaided, and have fallen out of normal chairs, so I'm stuck in bed.

There's more to it, but this isn't e/n or a/t, and I was just showing my desktop :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tedronai66 posted:

I do, however, wish they'd sell the plans or post them for those that can DIY, or aren't in the bay area.

I wasn't really thinking about buying one, I was just stealing the idea and making one myself. :D

Electric Bugaloo posted:

BEHOLD: The glory that is pipe furniture
That's not bad, I have no idea how it would go with the rest of the furniture here, but it's a good idea to have in mind. Cheers.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

_adam posted:

New desk! Now I just need a dual monitor mount and matching monitors...

What kind of lamp/bulb does it take to recreate that kind of lighting? I'm tired of bright white lights in my room.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Erkenntnis posted:

What kind of lamp/bulb does it take to recreate that kind of lighting? I'm tired of bright white lights in my room.

I get a similar effect with a very low power (~6w) fluorescent "warm white" bulb. "Cool white" gives awful white light. If you're not doing any colour-sensitve work, F.lux will "warm" your monitor at night so it's not a huge blue/white light source in your room http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

I get a similar effect with a very low power (~6w) fluorescent "warm white" bulb. "Cool white" gives awful white light. If you're not doing any colour-sensitve work, F.lux will "warm" your monitor at night so it's not a huge blue/white light source in your room http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Wait, why is white light awful? Its closer to the color of natural sunlight than the color we've gotten used to from incandescent lights.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Coredump posted:

Wait, why is white light awful? Its closer to the color of natural sunlight than the color we've gotten used to from incandescent lights.

It's not "awful," it's just harder on your eyes at night.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

It's not "awful," it's just harder on your eyes at night.

Oh I see, they need to make f.lux for lamps then.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Coredump posted:

Oh I see, they need to make f.lux for lamps then.

they do, just use an LED bulb with a controller.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

I wasn't really thinking about buying one, I was just stealing the idea and making one myself. :D

Yeah, that might be what I do. I like my current desk, it's just made for someone ~6" shorter than me to sit at. I couls rip off the top, but I don't know what I'd do with the base.

Also a consideration, if I can make larger adjustment posts for the Vika Artur(beech) and put a Lagan Countertop (96" one, cut down) on top with kb tray, etc. and some nice varnish coats. Just need to know the dimensions on the adjustment posts, and some good beech wood (I need to raise it to ~45" or so at table top).

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

ILikeVoltron posted:

What desk is that?

Ikea Fredrik as someone said, but without the top part. I have the same one. You can put your cables in that little cable shelf.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60111123/#/60115989

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

I like how in that post they complain of the price of typical standing desks...

Then turn right around and sell that desk in their store for $750, barely less than a geekdesk (motor and all!)

I can vouch for the geek desk. Large, flat surface with no gimmicks, and being able to physically move the desk with a motor is a more elegant solution than using a stool when sitting. I stand about 40% of the time, and am trying to work up to more.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Dominoes posted:

I can vouch for the geek desk. Large, flat surface with no gimmicks, and being able to physically move the desk with a motor is a more elegant solution than using a stool when sitting. I stand about 40% of the time, and am trying to work up to more.

At work I have something similar to a geekdesk (thanks, work disability insurance). I'm probably 80:20 stand:sit. At home, however, I have to sit right now. And a geekdesk is beyond my budget. Motorized desks are very nice, though.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's quite nice and better looking than a lot of other desks I've seen. I'm trying to come up with something in my head that fits my tastes, but all I get is a bunch of Ikea parts jumbled around and somehow it turns into a "desk". It reminds me of Homer Simpson's attempt at building his BBQ grill.

As for the pipe furniture: It's an interesting take on furniture and I'll keep it in mind.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I'm aware that the second monitor is tilted a bit, but somehow it doesn't bother me when I'm in my desk chair.

I love these lamps, though. Also living like poo poo blah blah old jokes

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Kegwen posted:

Jesus, these things cost nearly 5 times what they cost in the US: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90037358/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kegwen posted:

I'm aware that the second monitor is tilted a bit, but somehow it doesn't bother me when I'm in my desk chair.

What is the headphone holder you're using? I've needed one for awhile.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Coredump posted:

Oops, yeah. Bluer light is fine during the daytime. At night, I prefer redder light because as GreatGreen says, it's significantly easier on the eyes (and my eyes have a poo poo time going from light environments to dark environments, so subdues redder light makes sense at night).

Kegwen, those paper lamps look awesome, where did you get them? I used to use a little round paper desk lamp behind my monitor as a sort of ghetto bias lighting setup. The paper diffuses the light well enough to prevent brighter spots, and a tall lamp like that laying sideways behind my monitors would be awesome.

My current setup:

I'm planning to build a shelf to go where the flag is. That, or get some old band flyers and stick them up. It's only there because there was a bookshelf screwed into the wall where my desk is now, and the wall behind it is kind of unpleasant with screw holes, tape marks etc. It was that or a tatty dragon poster from when I was 13 or a bedsheet or something.

I need to find somewhere better for the router and modem to go too, but that's where they have to stay for now. The shelf is fixed to the wall, so I can't get the cables behind it without moving it, and that's a huge pain in the arse. I can't put the router behind my monitor because if it sits any lower, the rest of the house doesn't get signal. A shelf behind the monitors and on top of the desk is probably the best solution.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 4, 2012

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Niwrad posted:

What is the headphone holder you're using? I've needed one for awhile.

A $4 banana stand from the grocery store.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mismatched music production gear, as well as the monitor stand I've since replaced (as it fell apart)

not a flattering photo, but this screen owns, it's an ASUS ProArt something or other. It's a medium gloss 1080p 24" LED IPS screen.

Monitors are BX5a's, and the ridiculously overdone sound card is a Saffire 24.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

well why not posted:

mismatched music production gear, as well as the monitor stand I've since replaced (as it fell apart)

not a flattering photo, but this screen owns, it's an ASUS ProArt something or other. It's a medium gloss 1080p 24" LED IPS screen.

Monitors are BX5a's, and the ridiculously overdone sound card is a Saffire 24.

What is the tablet thing with 81 red/yellow/green lights?

enemyspeak
Dec 27, 2009

Hey kid, you want a toothpick?

Colonel Sanders posted:

What is the tablet thing with 81 red/yellow/green lights?

That looks like a Novation Launchpad.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I work from home, but tend to travel from time to time to go to the office, a 5 hours drive away, so I get to work on a laptop. That does leave me a bit more place on my desk to write/plan stuff and do other poo poo:

I do have the advantage of being able to work from wherever, so this was my office a few weeks ago, in my parents' backyard:

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

KingEup posted:

Jesus, these things cost nearly 5 times what they cost in the US: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90037358/

Hah yeah, I went to an Australian Ikea for the first time a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how much more expensive it was than Europe, though it's still cheap compared to most stores in oz.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Photex posted:

they do, just use an LED bulb with a controller.

http://lifehacker.com/5923887/build-your-own-color-temperature-lamp-for-multiple-lighting-options-from-one-lamp

This article was pretty timely and topical. But it does sound much more involved then just led bulb and controller. But still the possibility is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 18, 2019