Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

OB_Juan posted:

You can use it to either twin link your lovely troop's solid guns, or twin link pr/mp suits (admittedly this may be harder given the disparity of movement speeds between a farseer and a crisis suit.) Plus, Runes of Warding could be pretty handy.

It seems like IG/Orks would try to mitigate the Tau's weaknesses, where Eldar would be there to play to strengths. Then there's the Necron, who would serve to cover both, sorta. Hmm. Necron...

But the Tau's weaknesses are THAT weak. They're better off making a huge change to a terrible shortfall than an incremental improvement to a halfway decent specialty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Are the Masters of the Forge a thing? Someone told me that 4 of these models I got are that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ForeverFlashlight posted:

However - Pierre is wrong, pg 88 of the CSM book (top left corner) does specifically say that Mark of Tzeentch lets you cast two powers per turn, just not two shooting powers - this was later FAQ'd to let Demon Princes (as Monstrous Creatures) shoot two because they could shoot two guns if they had them...

You are correct, I missed that blurb. That's what I get for not running sorcerors for so long. :/

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
In C:csm the wings cost 20pts, in C:cd the flight costs 60pts.

You also get 3+ Armor and +1 str built in. Why you gotta hate on C:cd, we need all the help we can get.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

MilkmanLuke posted:

But the Tau's weaknesses are THAT weak. They're better off making a huge change to a terrible shortfall than an incremental improvement to a halfway decent specialty.

Indeed. Running a huge block of Blood Axes would be both fluffy "Greater Gud? Whaa.. Shur, we'll werk wif ya. Just make shur we get some of doz nice guns ya got there. Nice an shiny dem is, hur hur hur" and a HUGE improvement over Kroot. Also it would be pretty cheap to get the models, as a few bogs of Ork Boyz from the AoBR set is all you need. That and a warboss, I suppose.

Also you should mix in some Grotz somehow to have them be a part of the Grot'er Good.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PeterWeller posted:

That said, it is silly that the Sisters get along better with the GK than they do the BT. Perhaps it's because if the GK show up, you know poo poo is going down and you better work with them (orAND they'll bathe in your blood).

Fixed - GKs showing up might mean you're saved or it might mean you get rendered down into a loving lucky charm. Although I'm sure they'd argue the latter implies the former.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
JackMack, try arranging your pics into two columns. It makes things a little easier on the eye.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

PierreTheMime posted:

Indeed. Running a huge block of Blood Axes would be both fluffy "Greater Gud? Whaa.. Shur, we'll werk wif ya. Just make shur we get some of doz nice guns ya got there. Nice an shiny dem is, hur hur hur" and a HUGE improvement over Kroot. Also it would be pretty cheap to get the models, as a few bogs of Ork Boyz from the AoBR set is all you need. That and a warboss, I suppose.

Also you should mix in some Grotz somehow to have them be a part of the Grot'er Good.

I like the idea of Tau giving the Orks some new toys to play with in exchange for their help. Convert your big shootas to use pulse rifles instead!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

In C:csm the wings cost 20pts, in C:cd the flight costs 60pts.

You also get 3+ Armor and +1 str built in. Why you gotta hate on C:cd, we need all the help we can get.

Yeah, CSM DPs were better and cheaper, so it seems fair that the CD DPs got flight and the CSM ones didn't, especially because we'll probably see properly priced flying CSM DPs when their new codex comes out in the next few months.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Smegmalicious posted:

Are the Masters of the Forge a thing? Someone told me that 4 of these models I got are that.

Do you mean Masters of the Chapter? That's these guys: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440271a&prodId=prod1600048a

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Yeah, those guys. In metal. Painted not blue but well and very detailed. I was hoping I could sell them for a pretty penny but it looks like not. Balls. I also have Calgon? (take me away) and some other dude and three finecast ultramarines. I guess they're not as valuable as I thought.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ForeverFlashlight posted:

Okay, so I was correct about how FMC's work but we were all wrong about the CSM demon prince actually being a FMC - despite being a monstrous creature that flies and despite the Chaos Demons' Demonic Flight causing theirs to be FMC's - asking for logic from GW is futile indeed.

Don't loving do this. It's the worst kind of Warseer posting bullshit. Jump MCs are explicitly outlined in the rulebook and they even changed jump to be an add-on to a normal unit descriptor instead of a unit type to cover this situation. Some MCs just aren't intended to be flying. Yes, it's a little silly that two units called 'Daemon Prince' are different depending on which army they're taken from, but it's not 'lol GW.'

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
So, quick critique of my starter Tyranid army. Still don't have the HQ or Broodlord, but they are my next purchases after I finish painting my troops.

1x Tervigon (160 pts)
8x Genestealers + 1 Broodlord (172 pts)
14x Termagants (70 pts)
Total: 402

Aiming for 500 to begin with. I have 10 Termagants held back for the Tervigon from my two boxes. Wondering what upgrades are worth taking, if I should get something like a Zoanthrope or a Tyranid Prime to fill out the points.. dunno.

I was thinking if I wanted to go for a Tyranid Prime, I could get a box of Tyranid Warriors and use two of them for a Prime and a Broodlord. Are the Warriors and Broodlord roughly the same size?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
CSM princes are the jumped up, nouveau riche wannabes of Chaos compared to the bluebloods in the Chaos Daemons codex.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Corrode posted:

Don't loving do this. It's the worst kind of Warseer posting bullshit. Jump MCs are explicitly outlined in the rulebook and they even changed jump to be an add-on to a normal unit descriptor instead of a unit type to cover this situation. Some MCs just aren't intended to be flying. Yes, it's a little silly that two units called 'Daemon Prince' are different depending on which army they're taken from, but it's not 'lol GW.'

Oh come on. There are way worse kinds of Warseer posting.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

S.J. posted:

Like the petition to get Devlan Mud reinstated ?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

sexart posted:

So, quick critique of my starter Tyranid army. Still don't have the HQ or Broodlord, but they are my next purchases after I finish painting my troops.

1x Tervigon (160 pts)
8x Genestealers + 1 Broodlord (172 pts)
14x Termagants (70 pts)
Total: 402

Aiming for 500 to begin with. I have 10 Termagants held back for the Tervigon from my two boxes. Wondering what upgrades are worth taking, if I should get something like a Zoanthrope or a Tyranid Prime to fill out the points.. dunno.

I was thinking if I wanted to go for a Tyranid Prime, I could get a box of Tyranid Warriors and use two of them for a Prime and a Broodlord. Are the Warriors and Broodlord roughly the same size?

Yes, provided you use Genestealer bitz for the rest, the main torso of a Warrior is about the same as the Broodlord model. For a small army you cannot beat a Tyranid Prime, which also would allow you to field your Tervigon as a troop (great great great).

HQ:
Tyranid Prime 100pts
++Bonesword and Lashwhip
++Deathspitter

Troops:
Tervigon 195pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Catalyst
++Cluster Spines
++Toxin Sacs

12x Termagant 60pts

7x Genestealer 144pts
++Broodlord
+++Scything Talons

Total Points: 499pts
Total Models: 21

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Welp, 6th edition's brought me back to 40K, and I'm getting a Chaos army I've wanted to do together.

I've decided I want Chaos Terminators, but I'm not 100% on what to arm them with since I'm probably ordering arm bits anyways.

They're Mark of Slaanesh (I'm painting them as the Angels of Ecstasy from the codex) -- that much I'm certain of. I'm starting with 5, and my current thought is:

2x Lightning Claws
1x Reaper Autocannon / Chainfist
1x Reaper Autocannon / Power Weapon
1x Sergeant: Combi-Melta / ...power weapon?

Should probably get some power fists in there, but it's a shame with the extra init.

I'm not looking for tournament level, just somewhat effective. The rest of the army is 12 or 16 Noise marines, regular CSM, 3 Obliterators, 5 Possessed and a termy sorcerer lord if it makes a difference, MoS where applicable.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Wait, they got rid of Devlan Mud?

Seriously though, I've been out of the hobby for a year or so, and apparently GW's entire paint line is different now and I don't know what the gently caress. It looks like all the colors have been renamed, foundations are bases, and washes are shades now? Or are glazes washes? Is there a difference between layer 1 and layer 2 paints, or is that just an organizational thing? The texture paints are kind of a cool idea.

On a related note, since i can't make heads or tails of that poo poo, is it a good idea to just add water or something to my old dry-rear end paints and try to reconstitute them? I wouldn't really care, but I'm mid-army and I want my space barbies to look consistent if I can.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Wanna sign that petition.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ANAmal.net posted:

Seriously though, I've been out of the hobby for a year or so, and apparently GW's entire paint line is different now and I don't know what the gently caress. It looks like all the colors have been renamed, foundations are bases, and washes are shades now? Or are glazes washes? Is there a difference between layer 1 and layer 2 paints, or is that just an organizational thing? The texture paints are kind of a cool idea.

On a related note, since i can't make heads or tails of that poo poo, is it a good idea to just add water or something to my old dry-rear end paints and try to reconstitute them? I wouldn't really care, but I'm mid-army and I want my space barbies to look consistent if I can.

The new paints are all new formulas. They're of a slightly better quality than the previous line butane there are equivalent colours but they're not exactly the same shades. if you're mid project and are worried about consistency I'd try and hunt down some of the old colours from local stores or online retailers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

S.J. posted:

Yeah my mistake, it wasn't the thread about 'unusual armies' where people who only ever play their two friends in their basement with poor terrain try and talk up how their win record means foot Eldar or Fire Warrior-based Tau are actually top tier viable and tournament players have no idea what makes a good list.

ANAmal.net posted:

Ok from the top:

Bases are foundations.
Shades are washes.
Layer 1/2 is just an organisational thing.
Dry are intended for drybrushing - thicker pigments, less water.
Glazes are basically watered-down washing. They're named for the technique.
Textures are poo poo.

The other stuff is sprays and 'technical' which covers non-paint things like varnishes and Green Stuff.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played a couple more games last night and got to use some GK allies with my guard. A few observations:

-Don't lose all your models on the table before your Stormravens come in. My opponent lost on turn 3 during our first game when he lost his rhino and death company and the ravens didn't come in. :v:

-The Telepathy primaris power loving owns and I can't wait to get some Psyker Battle Squads together to wreck some face. I did 7 wounds to Astrorath with my Primaris Pyker.

-Manticores rock. The blast vehicle damage changes combined with people trying to hide important models in the middle of squads(that they have to remove because of the indirect fire) made it my MVP.

-Having your opponents Stormraven crash into his dread and be able to roll a Str 6 hit on the dread is pretty rad.

-Currently, I'm really not all that scared of flyers. Since they have to move 18 in a strait line every round and don't come on until turn two minimum it seems like they don't have that much up time. They zoom in, get some shots off, then have to turn into hover mode and get wrecked or if they can't hover keep flying past the front line and with some clever positioning of crap like rhinos you can make them fly waaaay past the line and only shoot a couple guns or have to fly off the table.

-Purifers backed up by IG shooting was pretty awesome. :shobon:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You are so wrong about textures. They are far far better than the traditional method of basing.
The grains are in scale so your men no longer look like they've sunk into the ground. You skip the faff of gluing it down, and you skip the (very minor) faff of making sure the paint covers such a rough surface.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You are so wrong about textures. They are far far better than the traditional method of basing.
The grains are in scale so your men no longer look like they've sunk into the ground. You skip the faff of gluing it down, and you skip the (very minor) faff of making sure the paint covers such a rough surface.

I don't know about the GW textures but Black Lava is the tits for basing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If that's the Vallejo stuff then you're a braver man than me. That stuff gets everywhere, and still has to be undercoated and painted. With the GW textures you just put it on with a drybrush (easier to push it around) and then highlight to finish.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

overthefalls posted:

Welp, 6th edition's brought me back to 40K, and I'm getting a Chaos army I've wanted to do together.

I've decided I want Chaos Terminators, but I'm not 100% on what to arm them with since I'm probably ordering arm bits anyways.

They're Mark of Slaanesh (I'm painting them as the Angels of Ecstasy from the codex) -- that much I'm certain of. I'm starting with 5, and my current thought is:

2x Lightning Claws
1x Reaper Autocannon / Chainfist
1x Reaper Autocannon / Power Weapon
1x Sergeant: Combi-Melta / ...power weapon?

Should probably get some power fists in there, but it's a shame with the extra init.

I'm not looking for tournament level, just somewhat effective. The rest of the army is 12 or 16 Noise marines, regular CSM, 3 Obliterators, 5 Possessed and a termy sorcerer lord if it makes a difference, MoS where applicable.

You should probably wait before building any CSM stuff since the new codex is due in a couple months and will likely change everything anyway.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The major issue is that it looks loving poo poo.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Cataphract posted:

To clarify, if you are bringing a FMC on from reserve you can only deep strike if you are gliding. Gliding means you count as "jump" and part of "jump" is the ability to deepstrike. If you choose to swoop when you enter you must enter from your board edge, (you don't have jump movement if you are swooping and therefore cannot deepstrike). Is that right?

An interesting point, but I do not believe it to be correct. Pg. 49, under the header "Gliding": "If a Flying Monstrous Creature is Gliding, it moves, runs and charges exactly like a Jump Monstrous Creature."
The key distinction here is that Jump is not a Special Rule, but a Unit Type. A Unit cannot have more than one "supertype" (Beast, Cavalry, Infantry, etc.). Since Flying Monstrous Creature is a Unit Type, this is not the same as "counts as" or "the same as." It simply means that while in Glide mode, it simply follows the rules for moving, running and charging like a Jump Monstrous Creature, but would not gain any of the special rules of having the Jump Infantry/Jump Monstrous Creature type.
At least that's how I'm reading it; without official word from an FAQ, this sort of thing would likely be best settled with a die roll or by talking it over with your opponent beforehand.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hey, this page doesn't have a shitload of Valhallans on it yet. Let me fix that:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Eagerly awaiting the day SRM rents out a gymnasium and drapes it in white cloth to make a proper photo booth for a group shot of his painted minis.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

The major issue is that it looks loving poo poo.

[url= http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tP9xjXSrZ0c/T480VrHiTUI/AAAAAAAAAIY/fZVW3DQZoG0/s1600/IMG_2141.JPG]It looks pretty good to me.[/url]

The same as regular basing only more to scale.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Personally I love texture paint, it saves me so much time and effort compared to gluing sand to a base, waiting god knows how long to make sure it's dry, and then watching chunks tear off the instant I try to drybrush it. Or I could just be bad at that method.

It's just a shame Blackfire Earth looks like a pot of diarrhea and I always feel a little bit disturbed spreading it around a base. :shepface:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sykic posted:

It's just a shame Blackfire Earth looks like a pot of diarrhea and I always feel a little bit disturbed spreading it around a base. :shepface:

Play Nurgle. Then it will be appropriate.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just glue basing sand down with PVA then when I prime the whole model black it ends up holding it in place pretty drat well. I'd like to try the new texture paints, but I'm not switching over halfway through an army's construction just to do it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\ I have an army that is half glue/sand and half black lava, and you can't really tell the difference once it's painted and drybrushed. The black lava is a little finer grained but not so much that it stands out or looks bad next to the sand.

I know it's been said a hundred times before, but Vallejo Black Lava is exactly as good if not better than the GW texture paints, and is 10 dollars for 12 oz instead of 4 dollars for half an ounce.

I guess the only downside is you have to paint it since it's black but colored texture paints are a dumb idea anyway, it's not like painting the base is hard or even time consuming.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If that's the Vallejo stuff then you're a braver man than me. That stuff gets everywhere, and still has to be undercoated and painted. With the GW textures you just put it on with a drybrush (easier to push it around) and then highlight to finish.

:confused:

I use a dental pick and that poo poo goes on super fast and stays in place then you can paint it whatever color you want.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, I either use a toothpick or a cheap brush to spread the lava. If you don't have hooks for hands you should be fine.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
I got some of the Citadel textured paint. After my termagants are finished (in a week or so..) I will try to post some pictures and you guys can see what a complete painting newbie does with it. Finally, a use for my DSLR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sykic posted:

Personally I love texture paint, it saves me so much time and effort compared to gluing sand to a base, waiting god knows how long to make sure it's dry, and then watching chunks tear off the instant I try to drybrush it. Or I could just be bad at that method.

Did you wash the dried sand with watered-down PVA glue afterwards to strengthen the sand? :eng101:

• Locked thread