Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

PRI bought it out so that it couldn't compete in the election.

Start a new one because Mexican food is the best food.

:smith:

There were some recipes that I wanted to remember/look up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm making a whole salmon tonight with a tomatillo/strawberry salsa. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good spice pairing that would go well with that flavor profile? I was thinking just a simple lemon/soy/brown sugar reduction but I've seen smoked paprika and cumin bandied about (which sounds kind of odd). I'm used to doing salmon with lemon, ginger, and green onion but I also don't think that would go well with tomatillo/strawberry. Thoughts?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tomtatillos and strawberries scream lime and chili

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

Do they taste alright pureed? There's still a few things you could try to avoid the texture of the whole fruit. You could try to make some fruit leather, a brief google search suggests that you don't necessarily need to add sugar to the fruit, so it would be more diet friendly than jams/jellies. Essentially you just puree the fruit to roughly applesauce consistency, spread it thin on a pan and dry it out in an oven/dehydrator.

Actually they kind of make smoothies that taste like cardboard. I do have a dehydrator so that sounds like an excellent idea.

\/\/ drat. :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sounds freezerburnt

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Tomtatillos and strawberries scream lime and chili

Thanks Casu. Have lime but no chili... might do something strange with various chili oils and sauces I have. It's my first time using tomatillo and cooking with fruit in something non-dessert so my usual sense of what would go well together is completely at a loss. Trying to expand my horizons. :ohdear:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have recommendations for removing tumeric stains from anything? I imagine it'll wash off my hands eventually

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
fire

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just picked up 10 lbs of chicken leg quarter since they were super cheap (under 6 bucks for the lot of them), but I don't really know anything to do with them besides fry and roast. There's nothing wrong with either method, but I'm so broke I can't even pay attention and something to change things up after 4 straight days of roasted chicken would be handy.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 8, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for removing tumeric stains from anything? I imagine it'll wash off my hands eventually

If it's on your stove or counter, use bar keeper's friend. if it's one other things, get a magic sponge thing. Lava soap for your hands. Or some coarse grit sandpaper will take care of it all

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My wife has recently become obsessed with Cream Top yogurt, but I'm having a hard time finding a store that sells it regularly. I know you can make yogurt at home but I have no idea how to go about it or if those electronic yogurt makers are any good or if any of them will result in the 'cream top' she is so obsessed with. Can anybody help me out on this?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I just picked up 10 lbs of chicken leg quarter since they were super cheap (under 6 bucks for the lot of them), but I don't really know anything to do with them besides fry and roast. There's nothing wrong with either method, but I'm so broke I can't even pay attention and something to change things up after 4 straight days of roasted chicken would be handy.

These would be perfect for braising. There was a question just like yours on the lsat page as well.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Anyone got a good gazpacho recipe they'd like to share?

Might as well expand that to include any other cold served soup dishes that one would like to recommend. I tend to make stuff for the week on Sunday or Monday night and it has been awfully hot lately

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 8, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Casu Marzu posted:

If it's on your stove or counter, use bar keeper's friend. if it's one other things, get a magic sponge thing. Lava soap for your hands. Or some coarse grit sandpaper will take care of it all

It was a small food processor. I think its going to forever be stained though since the local supermarket has started selling fresh tumeric

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just made some brown rice and used too much water. After an hour and a half on the stove the water finally got done cooking off (there's still a little on the bottom). However, the grains are still crunchy. The gently caress did I screw up that I have crunchy rice after an hour and a half? Should I throw more water in and put it back on the fire?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Might as well expand that to include any other cold served soup dishes that one would like to recommend. I tend to make stuff for the week on Sunday or Monday night and it has been awfully hot lately

I like to do a chilled pea and mint soup: sweat a couple shallots, blanch peas in veg stock, then puree with the stock and some mint leaves, salt, white pepper, pass through a fine strainer and cool quickly (ice bath, casserole dish in fridge etc). If it stays warm too long or if you overcook your peas it turns a gross color but it can be a beautiful vibrant green. finish with lime zest or creme fraiche. Sometimes I like to serve it with a pinch of crab salad or just crab meat on top (still cold). Light, summery, refreshing.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Anyone got a good gazpacho recipe they'd like to share?

Golden Gazpacho:
Yellow bell pepper, pineapple, yellow/orange tommatoes, cucumber(peeled),and a red onion all get blended with some olive oil and vinager. (I also like to add a hot pepper here too, but thats your call) Add sugar or vinager to taste. Garnish with dies not yellow veggies (red/green peppers, avacado, cucumbers, green onions, etc).

You can wing most of this depending on what veggeies/fruit you have at the moment. Mango can work as a good sub for the pineapple. I like to serve this with grilled flatbread with goat chees and pesto. To make it more of a meal you can add some lemon poached shirmp.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Those both sound amazing. Thanks for the suggestions!

So about how long will gazpacho be good for in the fridge?

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

What are some good side dishes for lamb, and also lamb recipes?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Kheema curry!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

What are some tasty, easy dishes to do with chicken livers? I used some today with bacon, in red wine with a side of rosemary-stuffed mashed potatoes, and they were delicious. I have a few more trays in my freezer that I'd like to cook up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dis astranagant posted:

Leg quarters are perfect for chicken adobo. There are all kinds of sauce recipes, a basic one is equal parts soy sauce and vinegar, a couple bay leaves, peppercorns, and some chopped garlic.

You could also make soup. Roast a bunch of them, strip the meat and use the bones for stock, go from there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So does winter squash not keep as well in the fridge? That's what the internet says, but I just pulled one out (a yellow acorn squash) I have had in the fridge for like a month and it seemed fine (hard shell, no bad smell, no blemishes other than one spot that was just a nick during handling probably). Should I avoid refrigerating them in the future? I think I'm going to bake them then stuff them with some corn and tomatoes, since I need to use those up. Then roast the seeds, of course.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I never store my hard squashes in the fridge. They last for months in my root cellar.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So about how long will gazpacho be good for in the fridge?

It has a short shelf life, I wouldn't serve it past two days. Make it fresh if possible. Worse come to works you can prep your veggies a head of time, all you would realy need to do is blend it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fraction posted:

What are some tasty, easy dishes to do with chicken livers? I used some today with bacon, in red wine with a side of rosemary-stuffed mashed potatoes, and they were delicious. I have a few more trays in my freezer that I'd like to cook up.
How about pâté? Simmer a couple minutes with some aromatics and herbs until the livers are starting to brown but are still pink on the inside, purée with some fat (e.g. butter), some cognac, and salt and pepper, shape (e.g. in ramekins) and refrigerate.

Be sure to soak the livers in milk beforehand to remove the magnetic flavour.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I looked a while ago and didn't see a general liquor thread. I was at the store earlier today and grabbed a shooter of brandy on a whim. I tried brandy once, and liked it a lot due to how smooth it was. This is E&J XO brandy, and it tastes like rum. I like rum, but it's really not what I was expecting. Is this lovely brandy, or is there a particular type I need to be looking for for smoothness, or what?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

SubG posted:

How about pâté? Simmer a couple minutes with some aromatics and herbs until the livers are starting to brown but are still pink on the inside, purée with some fat (e.g. butter), some cognac, and salt and pepper, shape (e.g. in ramekins) and refrigerate.

Yeah, this. The recipe I use (from the 'Wichcraft cookbook, of all places) has you caramelizing some shallots in butter before sauteing the livers, and it comes out beautifully.

*Edited for retarded spelling. (Thanks pnumoman)

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 9, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Abobo posted:

Yeah, this. The recipe I use (from the 'Witchcraft cookbook, of all places) has you caramelizing some shallots in butter before sauteing the livers, and it comes out beautifully.

Wait why do you have a "Witchcraft Cookbook"?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Drink and Fight posted:

Wait why do you have a "Witchcraft Cookbook"?

Colicchio's 'wichcraft.

Not Wicca.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I have tricolor israeli couscous and chicken breasts, what can I make?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

I like turtles posted:

I can only get basic sweet cherries at about $2 a pound, along with rainier cherries at about $5 a pound. I know sour cherries are the normal thing for pies, will sweet cherries work? Would rainiers work for pie too?

The best cherry pies in my opinion are made with a deliberate ratio of sweet and sour cherries. I like 2 sweet to 1 sour and a little lemon juice. Experiment!

Also, try dark rum in place of the water (1:1) in your dough for the raddest flaky crust you've ever had. Any strong alcohol will do, but the flavor of a strong dark rum complements cherries well.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So if I was gonna make mac n cheese oven style with my own home made cheese sauce...

What would happen if I mixed an egg yolk into the cheese sauce right as I poured it into the mac before placing it into the oven?

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So if I was gonna make mac n cheese oven style with my own home made cheese sauce...

What would happen if I mixed an egg yolk into the cheese sauce right as I poured it into the mac before placing it into the oven?

It really depends. Some people use an egg to make the sauce more creamy, others use just use a basic béchamel cheese sauce. Both are delicious and it really only matters for personal taste. It will be fine and tasty as long as you don't scramble the egg in the sauce, you need to stir it in a little bit at a time so the egg wont cook and gently caress up the sauce.

Also for a topping I've had great luck with a lobster style ritz and butter crust. Just add a good amount of crushed ritz and parsley to melted butter, you can also add some of your cheese mixture to that and make an awesome crust for your mac.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

Fraction posted:

What are some tasty, easy dishes to do with chicken livers? I used some today with bacon, in red wine with a side of rosemary-stuffed mashed potatoes, and they were delicious.

Yeah, you're gonna need to pony up exactly what you did here. It sounds wonderful! (please?)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

An observer posted:

I have tricolor israeli couscous and chicken breasts, what can I make?

I'd cook the chicken however you want, just make sure you toast the cous cous in the leftover fond first and then deglaze.

^^^ Thanks for egg comment! I've been doing a basic bechamel for years. Just thinking of different things to try.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Edit: I can't read.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 9, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I looked a while ago and didn't see a general liquor thread. I was at the store earlier today and grabbed a shooter of brandy on a whim. I tried brandy once, and liked it a lot due to how smooth it was. This is E&J XO brandy, and it tastes like rum. I like rum, but it's really not what I was expecting. Is this lovely brandy, or is there a particular type I need to be looking for for smoothness, or what?

Not sure if you found this thread yet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If I add melted butter to half and half can I whip it into cream?

I need to make whipped cream for a recipe for my mom and she bought half and half, probably thinking it was healthier, and I can't go get some real cream until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

SubG posted:

Ooh, I might have to try this. Pâté can then be used in sandwiches and stuff, right?

Yehudis Basya posted:

Yeah, you're gonna need to pony up exactly what you did here. It sounds wonderful! (please?)

Recipe from Allrecipes

I cut the bacon into strips and left it in whilst everything else cooked, and omitted the olives, but other than that pretty much followed this. For the potato, just boiled them with a lot of rosemary, then shoved even more rosemary + some butter, salt and milk in when I mashed. It was pretty good, especially for my first try cooking with liver :3:

e: If you make it, make sure to put some of the juice from the bottom of the liver/bacon pan over your mashed potatoes!