Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can you try and take pictures? We can tell you where you screwed up if you like.

I haven't tried any in the last couple weeks. Basically, everything ends up textured like a rock, even if I follow a recipe/use the bread machine.

vvv Shouldn't be, it's pretty new.

miryei fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is your yeast dead?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What temperature water do you use? It has to be lukewarm, not hot or cold. Slightly warmer than room temperature, basically.

Also, when you're letting the dough rise and rest, are you keeping it in a moderately warm place? I usually put the container with the dough on the back of the fridge to rise.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Pookah posted:

:blush: You're welcome - hope it turns out well!

Actually I have to lay off looking out for meat/veg deals - I got into the habit of cooking big pots of freezables on saturdays since the weather this summer has been shite, so now I have a freezer packed with all sorts of things that need to be eaten ( I know, I know, classic first world problem...)

^^^ That sounds delicious, definitely going to have to give it a go. ^^^

Ended up making that stew and I ate waaaay too much of it . Recommending any other readers to try it.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

miryei posted:

Does anyone know where to find cheap groceries in Edmonton? I recently moved up here and food prices are way higher than I'm used to, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding any variety of peppers (even in the ethnic stores I've tried)
I don't live in Edmonton so this suggestion might actually suck a lot, but I do know there's a T&T Supermarket there somewhere (I'm betting West Ed), and if you haven't tried it, give it a shot to see if the prices there are any better than elsewhere.

Of course, T&T is now owned by the same company that operates Superstore. I just find that it tends to have better deals on certain things and has a wildly different variety of stuff, but given that you're so far north things like peppers probably come at a premium no matter where you're shopping.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

miryei posted:

I haven't tried any in the last couple weeks. Basically, everything ends up textured like a rock, even if I follow a recipe/use the bread machine.

vvv Shouldn't be, it's pretty new.

You might be killing it by adding hot water. Does it rise at all when you let it rest?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

bombhand posted:

I don't live in Edmonton so this suggestion might actually suck a lot, but I do know there's a T&T Supermarket there somewhere (I'm betting West Ed), and if you haven't tried it, give it a shot to see if the prices there are any better than elsewhere.

Of course, T&T is now owned by the same company that operates Superstore. I just find that it tends to have better deals on certain things and has a wildly different variety of stuff, but given that you're so far north things like peppers probably come at a premium no matter where you're shopping.

I found a T&T in WEM, which is kind of a hike, but they were cheaper on some of the things we buy, so we'll probably use that when we happen to be in that area. There's a Lucky 97 closer to me that's supposed to be pretty good that I'm intending to try on the next grocery trip.

I use warmish water, it looks like it's rising, but then it bakes into a rock. I've been using the bread machine more often than trying the no knead bread, and following the instructions (even tried one recipe that came with the machine) and have decided that I like quickbreads a lot better because they turn out delicious, instead of smelling delicious and then being inedible.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

miryei posted:

I found a T&T in WEM, which is kind of a hike, but they were cheaper on some of the things we buy, so we'll probably use that when we happen to be in that area. There's a Lucky 97 closer to me that's supposed to be pretty good that I'm intending to try on the next grocery trip.

I use warmish water, it looks like it's rising, but then it bakes into a rock. I've been using the bread machine more often than trying the no knead bread, and following the instructions (even tried one recipe that came with the machine) and have decided that I like quickbreads a lot better because they turn out delicious, instead of smelling delicious and then being inedible.

That T&T is awesome for getting snacks when you're in the mall. Check out the HiChews when you're at the till. They're like MoJos, but bigger. And around Christmas time, they have crates of those tiny mandarin oranges on sale. The prices seemed decent to me the last time I was in there, but that was a while ago.

On the bread side of things, there's so many factors, but it does sound like your yeast is not doing what it should. Or you're not proofing the bread nearly as long as it needs and it's shrinking back/not jumping when you bake it.

I have some quick bread recipes, but they're from my baking textbook and all the tiny recipes are by weight and in pounds/ounces. Let me know if you're interested.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'd be interested in a bread recipe that doesn't take 2 days to make. I like the no kneed bread recipe well enough, but the sheer amount of time required to go from ingredients to finished product really makes me reluctant to make it frequently.

In other news, I found out today that dill, ginger, celery salt, and pepper are a great combination for sauteed vegetables.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd be interested in a bread recipe that doesn't take 2 days to make. I like the no kneed bread recipe well enough, but the sheer amount of time required to go from ingredients to finished product really makes me reluctant to make it frequently.

In other news, I found out today that dill, ginger, celery salt, and pepper are a great combination for sauteed vegetables.

Use the artisan in 5 minutes a day recipe

6.5 cups flour
3 cups lukewarm water
1.5 tbsp yeast
1.5 tbsp salt

Combine in a bowl, cover and leave for 2 hours, put in oven for 40 minutes.

(Double check the internet somewhere to make sure I got those ingredients right, it's the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipe.)

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

This soda bread recipe is my go-to lazy as hell bread recipe: http://recipefinder.msn.co.nz/article.aspx?id=766180
If you don't have buttermilk, souring normal milk with lemon juice or vinegar works a treat.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

HookShot posted:

6.5 cups flour
3 cups lukewarm water
1.5 tbsp yeast
1.5 tbsp salt

(Double check the internet somewhere to make sure I got those ingredients right, it's the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipe.)

Use 1 TBSP of yeast instead of 1.5, but other than that it is spot on from the recipe I found (from what you said to search). All hail Google - "Artis - FOUND IT!".

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SoleilEquil posted:

Ended up making that stew and I ate waaaay too much of it . Recommending any other readers to try it.

Awesome, glad you liked it :D

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

HookShot posted:

6.5 cups flour
3 cups lukewarm water
1.5 tbsp yeast
1.5 tbsp salt

This is the recipe I use to make bread and it's pretty drat quick, easy, and tasty. I usually make a half batch which is normally good for 5 or 6 decent buns and a small loaf on the side. I've found that you have to add just a tiny bit more flour than just 3.25 cups, something closer to 3.5 - my wife likes a denser bread (although it remains pretty airy) and it helps to be a bit more solid for shaping.

The texture I normally go for when mixing it up is sticky but not massively so - sticky means wet, wet is good for this dough. Don't be worried if you think it's too sticky - putting in the fridge after that initial rise for at least an hour or two will make it easier to handle and shape. Apparently the flavour improves in there if you can manage to leave it for a few days but I never hold off that long.

The buns also freeze well - get them down to room temperature, wrap them in foil, and then pop them in a ziplock bag. Should keep easy for a couple of weeks and take maybe 15 minutes to thaw. If you're freezing loaves then it's probably best to slice first, then freeze like above. You're probably not going to get a refreeze out of them.

Apart from that, just remember to bake in a moist environment (pan of water in oven) and it's dead simple. There's a lot of waiting around, comparatively, but the actual effort involved is basically nil. It's great.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I think my only problem with that recipe is that it's only a low effort recipe if you want to make bread often within a short period of time. We don't eat that much bread so it seems like more worth it to just make a more complex recipe when we do make bread. A truly low effort recipe would be nice though.

This reminds me that I need to start the dough to make some bread for tomorrow.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I just cooked a loaf of that bread the other night. The dough had been sitting in the fridge for over a week. It is delicious.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Rurutia posted:

I think my only problem with that recipe is that it's only a low effort recipe if you want to make bread often within a short period of time.
You can freeze the dough or just reduce the recipe some to reflect the amount of bread you will eat in a 14 day period.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

captkirk posted:

You can freeze the dough or just reduce the recipe some to reflect the amount of bread you will eat in a 14 day period.

Freezing the dough is probably not a bad idea. I do like the sourdough effect you can get when you leave the dough sitting, but the problem is when we don't make bread again for over a month.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

captkirk posted:

Mine got all mouldy in the fridge within a week. I only got two loaves out of a full batch. I was very sad and haven't made it since. Maybe I'll try again soon, but it was very disheartening.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Here's a very low effort but delicious bread from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. It's my favorite baguette, and you can scale down the recipe to make however much you want.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2723/pain-lancienne-recipe

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The kids just helped me make this for lunch:

Homemade egg pasta tossed with butter, garlic, and pepper topped with cold roasted chicken left from yesterday.

Four eggs were worked into about 3 1/2 cups of flour, kneaded for about three minutes, rested for 15 minutes, and rolled thin*. It was then rolled into little jelly rolls and cut somewhat thick before dropping into boiling salted water for about 30 seconds.

Cheap as hell and holy poo poo is it tasty.

* I used my Atlas and rolled to setting 6, but have had fine luck with wine bottles.

Edit: And about half of the pasta is still left after we each ate our fill.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 11, 2012

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

The kids just helped me make this for lunch:

Homemade egg pasta tossed with butter, garlic, and pepper topped with cold roasted chicken left from yesterday.

Four eggs were worked into about 3 1/2 cups of flour, kneaded for about three minutes, rested for 15 minutes, and rolled thin*. It was then rolled into little jelly rolls and cut somewhat thick before dropping into boiling salted water for about 30 seconds.

Cheap as hell and holy poo poo is it tasty.

* I used my Atlas and rolled to setting 6, but have had fine luck with wine bottles.

Edit: And about half of the pasta is still left after we each ate our fill.

That picture just made me so incredibly hungry to try that it is not funny.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

My Little Puni posted:

Very good ideas, thank you. But I should add $50 is our absolute MAX to spend, our regular budget is about what you say, $30.

However the prices in your estimate are bit off. I've browsed the grocery store and the prices are usually a couple dollars higher than that. Maybe it's just where I live.

Also, I'm not vegetarian. I like meat, if me and my boyfriend don't eat it, we don't get full, and that is usually where most of the expense comes from. But I've found buying a bag of frozen chicken breasts is quite helpful and lasts quite a while.

Thanks for a good start on planning our next grocery trip, I'll definitly be taking this advice with me.

On more thing to ask about. My boyfriend and I work 12 hour days and usually just stock up on crackers, muffins, cup fruit, applesauce, etc. and our lunches are microwavables. This is really killing the budget, so some good meal ideas that are still great reheated would really help out too.

I know this is forever old, and I am frankly a lovely cook, but I've had complements on my pasta and pasta sauce.

I use a 28oz. of diced (or crushed) tomatoes in their juice; I usually get the plain variety since it's like 1.50 a can. A can of seasoned (or unseasoned) tomato paste. Two small zucchinis (you can skip them if they're too pricey or out os season), a whole onion (whatever kind you'd like), a green pepper, if you want meat, I recommend either ground beef or turkey (whichever is on sale) and some pasta seasoning spices (I have a mix, and you can usually find really cheap and decent spice mixes at Marshalls). I usually get Barilla Plus pasta due to the higher nutritional value (and protein content).

I usually brown the onions, peppers and meat in olive oil, grate the zuchinis (finely! usually the second finest setting), add them, then I add the paste and crushed tomatoes and allow the pot to simmer. Season to taste.

Without the meat, this is pretty cheap per serving and with the plus pasta it fills you up pretty well. It reheats nicely and can be packed into small containers.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I took this thread's advice and started buying whole chickens. Popcorn too. Tonight this led to a wonderful discovery: Parmesan Chicken Popcorn.

Pop some popcorn on the skillet, and make sure your lid doesn't stay stuck to it for like a half hour afterward because the drat skillet expanded

Add:

Salt
Minced fresh garlic
Another savory spice if you want
Chicken fat instead of butter!
and sprinkle some parmesan on top.

It's the popcorn that snacks like a meal!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There's a place that makes bacon fat popcorn like that. It is amazing.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I'd like to give this thread a huge thank you. This thread inspired me to stop being lazy dude and to start making some good food.

So far I have made pork buns, chili, some awesome salmon, a couple great soups, bbq pulled pork, and biscuits and gravy. All of them have been well reviewed by my girlfriend and my friends. Thanks for showing me a new world!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to make a nice and simple beef stew. How? Nothing fancy (or expensive). I never learned how to cook.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Buy beef "stewing meat" from grocery store
Cut potatoes into similar size to meat
Cut carrots into chunks
Cut celery into chunks
Cut onion into chunks

Sprinkle salt on beef
Brown beef in pot w/ oil
Add veg
Cover with beer
(add thyme if you have it)

Bring to boil
Cook two hours covered at a simmer

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to make a nice and simple beef stew. How? Nothing fancy (or expensive). I never learned how to cook.

The basis of all stews comes from using the right cuts, getting a good sear on the meat and therefore good fond in the pot, and appropriate aromatics. A basic beef stew should use something like chuck or shank. Decent amounts of fat and gelatin in the muscle fibers will braise well and give you succulent meat after a long braise.

You want to build something called "fond" in the bottom of the pot. This is what the stuck on browned bits are called and they provide an awesome meaty savory base to your stew. You do not want to use a nonstick pot. Salt and sear them off in some neutral oil like canola. Cook on as high of heat as you can without causing the oil to smoke. Put the meat in the hot oil and leave it alone. It will feel "Stuck". Don't try and unstick it. It will release itself when a proper crust is formed, assuming you oiled enough.

Aromatics to use: Celery, Onion, Carrot. If you wanna be fancy this is called a "mirepoix". You will also want to add something fruity and acidy to balance the richness. A cheap but drinkable Pinot Noir is perfect for this and is quite traditional, however some tomato paste also works. After you seared off the beef, "deglaze" with a cup of wine or saute some tomato paste and add equal quantities of the constituents of the mirepoix to the pot, chopped, as well as a few cloves of minced garlic. You can sautee these in the oil and fond as well, if you want, depends on how much effort you want to put in. Also add a couple of bay leaves and some thyme then cover the meat with water. Cover the pot and bring to a simmer, cook until meat is tender (~3 hrs).

You can add some sliced mushrooms or some potatoes when the beef is tender then cook them until the potatoes split easily when a paring knife is stuck in them and the edges are starting to round off. I like to cook the beef covered, then cook the potatoes uncovered, I find that it reduces the perfect amount this way and you're left with a nice slightly thickened stew. Taste for salt and serve.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Beer? Really? Even with the wine, there's no water?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Since this is the "Help! I'm POOR" thread, water is clearly a good choice.

I also make homemade stocks, take peelings from vegetables and chicken bones and what not and I pressure cook the poo poo out of them and freeze the liquid. Then I use that when making soups/stews. It's stuff you may have thrown away anyway, and it's certainly more interesting than water.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Speaking of making stock. Right now I just throw scraps of onions, chicken bones, skin I didn't use, etc into a bin in my freezer. It's not cover/sealed so it's freezer burnt and all. Should I be covering/sealing this bin? Will having not done so affect the taste of my stock?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Beer? Really? Even with the wine, there's no water?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Also add a couple of bay leaves and some thyme then cover the meat with water.

The Rooster posted:

I also make homemade stocks, take peelings from vegetables and chicken bones and what not and I pressure cook the poo poo out of them and freeze the liquid. Then I use that when making soups/stews. It's stuff you may have thrown away anyway, and it's certainly more interesting than water.

Yeah, basically. Poor thread, hence the rec for tomato paste instead of wine and for water. Water, also because they said they have no cooking experience.

If you use bone-in meats and you take the time to get a good amount of fond, you're essentially making a very rich stock while braising the meat. Especially with the meat ratios I tend to use in a stew.

+1 for pressure cookers.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Rooster posted:

True, but even something like a lowly can of PBR will bring some malt and hops to the party and if there is some inexpensive wine already open and needing to be used up, this is a great way to do it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

The basis of all stews comes from using the right cuts, getting a good sear on the meat and therefore good fond in the pot, and appropriate aromatics. A basic beef stew should use something like chuck or shank. Decent amounts of fat and gelatin in the muscle fibers will braise well and give you succulent meat after a long braise.

You want to build something called "fond" in the bottom of the pot. This is what the stuck on browned bits are called and they provide an awesome meaty savory base to your stew. You do not want to use a nonstick pot. Salt and sear them off in some neutral oil like canola. Cook on as high of heat as you can without causing the oil to smoke. Put the meat in the hot oil and leave it alone. It will feel "Stuck". Don't try and unstick it. It will release itself when a proper crust is formed, assuming you oiled enough.

Aromatics to use: Celery, Onion, Carrot. If you wanna be fancy this is called a "mirepoix". You will also want to add something fruity and acidy to balance the richness. A cheap but drinkable Pinot Noir is perfect for this and is quite traditional, however some tomato paste also works. After you seared off the beef, "deglaze" with a cup of wine or saute some tomato paste and add equal quantities of the constituents of the mirepoix to the pot, chopped, as well as a few cloves of minced garlic. You can sautee these in the oil and fond as well, if you want, depends on how much effort you want to put in. Also add a couple of bay leaves and some thyme then cover the meat with water. Cover the pot and bring to a simmer, cook until meat is tender (~3 hrs).

You can add some sliced mushrooms or some potatoes when the beef is tender then cook them until the potatoes split easily when a paring knife is stuck in them and the edges are starting to round off. I like to cook the beef covered, then cook the potatoes uncovered, I find that it reduces the perfect amount this way and you're left with a nice slightly thickened stew. Taste for salt and serve.

OK, I did this. It smelled amazing in my kitchen when my meat started sizzling. I might have either used too much wine because when I lift the lid off the pot the liquid looks really purple.

Now, what do I do with the left over onions I bought? The market I stopped by after work didn't sell single onions so I have a bag of onions now.They didn't sell single potatoes either but at least with the potatoes I could bake them, make potato puree, hash browns or cut them up into chunks and fry/bake them. But I have no idea what to do with the onions.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

But I have no idea what to do with the onions.

If I have onions I can't use before they go bad, I chop them and freeze them to be ready-to go in anything requiring chopped onions later. It works pretty well.

vvv And onions really do go well with just about anything. Cutting them into un-separated rings and roasting them with some porkchops is pretty good.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 30, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Pretty much add them to anything. Grilling? Grill some onions and throw them on your burger. Stewing? Throw an onion in the pot. Stir-fry or fried rice? Add onions.

I don't even eat onions but there's a few ideas right there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Now, what do I do with the left over onions I bought? The market I stopped by after work didn't sell single onions so I have a bag of onions now.They didn't sell single potatoes either but at least with the potatoes I could bake them, make potato puree, hash browns or cut them up into chunks and fry/bake them. But I have no idea what to do with the onions.

Get some bacon.
Chop bacon and onion.
Make mashed potatoes.
Fry bacon, fry onions in the rendered bacon fat. Ideally, both bacon and onions should be crisp.
Serve as mountain of potato-mash on plate with bacon/onion spread over.

On the other hand, the bacon makes this not-that-cheap.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, I did this. It smelled amazing in my kitchen when my meat started sizzling. I might have either used too much wine because when I lift the lid off the pot the liquid looks really purple.

I'm assuming it's still quite early in the process. The purpleness will turn into a reddish brown over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Crap! I just realized that the beef stew thread I bookmarked, which had an amazing recipe, has apparently fallen off the bottom of the board! gently caress, I can't even find the print out of the recipe I had. I'm gonna really miss that stew. :(