Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChangoBat
Mar 5, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

What's the current amazing (and everything-working; I use the camera more than the phone) ROM for the Sprint Evo 3d? I'm still running Warm, and apparently there's two newer versions of Android now?

I've been using MeanRom 2.4 . It's based off a leaked Virgin Mobile ICS build. It's been pretty solid for me with everything working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1645211

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ChangoBat posted:

I've been using MeanRom 2.4 . It's based off a leaked Virgin Mobile ICS build. It's been pretty solid for me with everything working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1645211

Mean ROM has been rock solid for me. My only issue is that later versions turn wifi off when the screen is off which sucks if you're trying to download something in the background or have the Play store update apps. Also I have poo poo reception at home so it kills my battery even more.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, due to money troubles I've had to put my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus up on SA-Mart, and have fired up my old Atrix 4G. I've got Jokersax's 0.7.0 CM9 beta on it, with an old faux kernel, and it's actually running very nicely except for the old SOD problem. I've installed Advanced Wi-Fi Lock and so far it actually seems to have cured it, I'll have to keep an eye on it though. Jokersax has been doing great work, I'm excited to see what comes soon since CM9 hit RC1.

ChangoBat
Mar 5, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Mean ROM has been rock solid for me. My only issue is that later versions turn wifi off when the screen is off which sucks if you're trying to download something in the background or have the Play store update apps. Also I have poo poo reception at home so it kills my battery even more.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I came across the same issue with WiFi. It turns out you can disable it. If you go Settings > WiFi > Advanced > Keep Wi-Fi on during Sleep . Set it to Always and that should fix that issue. As for the poo poo reception, I think it kills all phones as the phone has to use more battery to keep a hold on the signal. From my understanding in the Sprint thread, if you call Sprint and complain they will give you a free Airave.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I have a Transformer tablet. It is rooted but nothing else. I just downloaded a firmware update.

Now I come back to find it stuck in Clockwork mod. Rebooting takes me back to Clockwork mod. When I try to factory reset through CWM, it says "Error mounting /sdcard!"

I tried connecting to my computer through USB, but it isn't working.

What the hell happened, and am I hosed? :ohdear:

edit: Looks like the update fails on those with rooted/CWM. God drat it. Now I have to find a way to fix this.

the fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 7, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I unrooted my EVO LTE because I thought that would solve the problem of my contact's pictures not showing up next to their name in my texts but it didn't. If I click the contact picture it will bring up the correct picture from their Facebook but it will not show up in the text list. This is very frustrating.

edit: To clarify, I can go through each contact and link them to their respective Facebook account but the pictures won't automatically update on their own no matter how much I mess with Facebook sync.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 7, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ChangoBat posted:

I came across the same issue with WiFi. It turns out you can disable it. If you go Settings > WiFi > Advanced > Keep Wi-Fi on during Sleep . Set it to Always and that should fix that issue. As for the poo poo reception, I think it kills all phones as the phone has to use more battery to keep a hold on the signal. From my understanding in the Sprint thread, if you call Sprint and complain they will give you a free Airave.

Thanks for the Wifi tip, I never thought to look there as it only popped up a couple updates ago.

My signal isn't so bad that calls are dropped or anything, and if I'm on wifi the battery drain isn't noticeable at all since it doesn't have to poll the tower very often.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I know if my tablet is US or Worldwide version? I'm trying to download the ASUS Firmware from their site and they need me to specify.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I was running MeanROM for a while, but ended up switching back to rooted stock. I can't remember exactly what I had issues with, but I remember it was just unstable enough to irritate me. At this point, I figure I'll just wait for the official Sprint release which should be a smoother upgrade for me anyway (won't have to reinstall everything..)

Honestly, I'd go CM9 if it was a viable option for the 3D. I'm considering a Galaxy Nexus to replace my 3D... I don't know...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the posted:

How do I know if my tablet is US or Worldwide version? I'm trying to download the ASUS Firmware from their site and they need me to specify.

Go to this screen on your tablet, if it says US like mine, then you use US:

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

The Downfall posted:

Gsm I grabbed the Google stock off of the gnex Reddit page

Wow gently caress me. I flashed JB with CWM and got boot looped. Don't know what went wrong, but I am going to try again with TeamWin. Had to flash and un-root back to stock to get my phone working again.

E: Was reading on Rootzwiki people were having problems with certain recoverys

going to follow the guide in this article
http://pocketnow.com/2012/07/04/how-to-get-android-jelly-bean-on-your-galaxy-nexus-video/

What are the odds of me bricking my GSM GNex. It was a close call last time

605-475-6968 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 8, 2012

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
With ICS what is the best way to organize my books in what would be collections?
And is it still bugged so I can not use Netflix?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am having the play store error processing purchase on free apps issue, I am using store version 3.7.13/

I tried this solution but it still did does not work, what else can I do?

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1708655

Edit: nvm, re-installed gapps.zip through CWM and it is fine now.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 9, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
People on Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones: what's the best JB ROM available right now? VanirBEAN? Or is one of the other ones available better (more stable, less battery, etc)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

maduin posted:

People on Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones: what's the best JB ROM available right now? VanirBEAN? Or is one of the other ones available better (more stable, less battery, etc)?

VanirBEAN is what I've been using, and haven't noticed any issues. Well, except for wifi tether not actually connecting to anything, but I've always had that problem.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've been running the Vicious JB rom. It seems a bit laggy but that might just be Apex not playing well with JB right now.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I think as of right now, there isn't much difference between any of the JB rom's, since they're all from the same nandroid build of JB that was ripped from a GSM phone at Google I/O. Until the AOSP gets released, they're all gonna have the same stuff. Besides stuffing whichever beta/nightly build of whichever kernal they like the best.

I hope what I'm saying is correct. It feels correct.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binge posted:

I think as of right now, there isn't much difference between any of the JB rom's, since they're all from the same nandroid build of JB that was ripped from a GSM phone at Google I/O. Until the AOSP gets released, they're all gonna have the same stuff. Besides stuffing whichever beta/nightly build of whichever kernal they like the best.

I hope what I'm saying is correct. It feels correct.

This is correct. And AOSP just got updated but not sure if it has a CDMA GNex build up yet.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

maduin posted:

I just flashed vanir a few minutes ago. My twitter FC's and USAA banking app does not work but those occurred on the OTA JB ROM that was available. Just be sure to flash gapps. The included gapps messes up the status bar notifications.

In other news, the source code for JB just got released to AOSP. So CM10 soon, eh?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Bob A Feet posted:

In other news, the source code for JB just got released to AOSP. So CM10 soon, eh?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o/discussion

Awesome.

JBQ posted:

Proprietary binaries are available for Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus. Nexus
S and Xoom will follow.

Stoked to try this on the Xoom.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Is there anyway for me to build/flash JB from AOSP without voiding my warranty? (Galaxy Nexus)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blugu64 posted:

Is there anyway for me to build/flash JB from AOSP without voiding my warranty? (Galaxy Nexus)
Unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the Galaxy Nexus warranty. You can relock it any time you'd like.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm guessing Google is still in process of putting the files up, because the 4.1.1 stuff is visible but the files are only 300kb or so.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Odette posted:

I'm guessing Google is still in process of putting the files up, because the 4.1.1 stuff is visible but the files are only 300kb or so.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

That is not the source code.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

nimper posted:

I know that?

Just means that there'll be AOSP compiled ROMs as soon as people download & compile them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nimper posted:

Correct. These are just a few binary hardware drivers. Furthermore it still looks like some are missing that are necessary for a full build (NFC, gps, camera) but with the addition of the CDMA/LTE drivers the Verizon variant of the Nexus is now no worse off than the GSM version in this regard.

The source repo when cloned is about 10GB.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ugh.

I've been running one of the original BAMF builds on my HTC Thunderbolt for over a year now, and today it totally poo poo the bed out of nowhere. It's been doing random reboots (as in, reboots randomly, even when doing nothing... or mid song on pandora while driving, it loves doing that) for awhile now, but they were so few and far between I didn't rush to swap since I have a lot of poo poo on there and basically need that phone working for my job. I had a handful of hard freezes starting maybe in March or so, where I had to actually take out the battery to reboot the thing... maybe 3 or 4 in total, so I knew I had to change up the ROM sometime soon.

Today my phone is literally in my pocket and I feel it buzz and vibrate, check it... ah, another random reboot... yay! Only this time none of my widgets will load, there is a string of about 20 error messages for various apps on launch, and a bunch of my apps have literally disappeared out of my app drawer, and their home screen icons are the default Android icon and the thing claims I don't have them installed anymore. Awesome!

So now I'm trying to flash... had heard good things about Liquid Smooth, but on flashing it just sits on the white HTC screen... yes, I wiped the cache and whatnot, and yes I had everything Titanium backed up before any of this happened. Currently downloading a stock ROM at a loving snail's pace because the scene loving sucks at A- finding non-lovely hosting, and B- having working links. Really hope I can at least get back in somehow... currently searching the SD card for all my pictures, but I can't seem to find them, which is worrisome.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

WebDO posted:

So the restore seems to have screwed up a few folders when I rooted my GNex using the toolkit, and ROM manager doesn't recognize that the toolkit gave me CWM recovery. Do I reflash CWM recovery, then run the permission repair kit?

Also, I renamed some folders to fix issues with associated apps, but can't delete them in EStrongs, is there a way to get these folders deleted?

E: unrelated, which root tether app is in vogue with goons this season? Barnacle?

Jelly Bean is far more exciting to talk about so I got missed...Any input would be helpful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

Jelly Bean is far more exciting to talk about so I got missed...Any input would be helpful.
This is why I don't recommend toolkits.

You can flash the recovery from fastboot or use ROM Manager to flash it. Fix permissions if you like, it should fix your weird folder problem.

What's wrong with the stock tether?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

This is why I don't recommend toolkits.

You can flash the recovery from fastboot or use ROM Manager to flash it. Fix permissions if you like, it should fix your weird folder problem.

What's wrong with the stock tether?

I flashed CWM Touch, but fix permissions returns an error trying to run privileged commands. I still can't delete my renamed Evernote or DCIM folders. As for stock tether, what do you mean? I'm on stock VZW ICS still, waiting on the stable GNex JB release.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there an AOSP build for the Galaxy Nexus yet?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Is there an AOSP build for the Galaxy Nexus yet?

You mean like the one that came with your phone? :v:

Assuming you meant JB:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849
But gapps are not updated yet so there may or may not be slight differences to the final OTA.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah, sorry. JB. I'm on Verizon, though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, sorry. JB. I'm on Verizon, though.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1762846

That looks like it is working okay for people.

Edit: "Okay" as in not perfectly. Sounds like the NFC drivers are missing and Google Now is broken since there are no new GApps.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
This is probably a longshot but will it even be possible to get a JB ROM on a SGSI (Vibrant)? I'm running an ICS rom (SlimICS) right now and it works fine, pretty much.

I'll probably end up getting an SGSIII this summer but if there are JB roms I might hold out a little longer.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Cast No Engine posted:

This is probably a longshot but will it even be possible to get a JB ROM on a SGSI (Vibrant)? I'm running an ICS rom (SlimICS) right now and it works fine, pretty much.

I'll probably end up getting an SGSIII this summer but if there are JB roms I might hold out a little longer.

The current news is that anything that can run ICS can run JB. Patience, grasshopper, the source just dropped.

If anything, you'll see homebrew JB on the Vibrant before the GS3 gets an offical release.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cast No Engine posted:

Two things:

The Nexus S is getting JB and the Vibrant has nearly identical specs

and

The dev community for that series of phones is extremely robust because of how well they sold.

All signs point to yes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I don't really know where else to post this but is there a consensus 'best' ROM for the original Evo 4g? I've looked over at xda but there's so many random rear end ones that are in beta or that just look like rear end.

I've been using MIUI for a while but for some reason it keeps bugging out on me and just doesn't feel stable. It'll be fast and crisp when I start out but after a couple weeks it really slows down a lot. I've also had problems with it randomly rebooting and getting locked on the boot screen, even when I'm not doing anything. It's done it in the middle of the night a few times and ended up making me wake up late.

There's a lot of stuff I love about MIUI but I'm to the point where I'd rather just have something reliable than not.

Suggestions?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

MindlessHavok posted:

I've been using MIUI for a while but for some reason it keeps bugging out on me and just doesn't feel stable. It'll be fast and crisp when I start out but after a couple weeks it really slows down a lot. I've also had problems with it randomly rebooting and getting locked on the boot screen, even when I'm not doing anything. It's done it in the middle of the night a few times and ended up making me wake up late.

There's a lot of stuff I love about MIUI but I'm to the point where I'd rather just have something reliable than not.

Suggestions?
I felt the exact same about MIUI. It looks and feels fantastic at first, but after a couple weeks, same thing - slow downs, force closes, random wifi problems. Just not reliable. So I went back to CM9. I don't have the same phone as you (I'm on Xperia Arc), but for the most part, CM ROMs just seem more stable than any others when it comes to custom ROMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

If anything, you'll see homebrew JB on the Vibrant before the GS3 gets an offical release.

Yeah, the Vibrant CM9 nightlies are already stellar (like, I think they got an RC already?) so a code merge should be easy. That said I got one of the early model Vibrants with the hosed GPS; I solder poo poo for a living so I soldered that connection, some improvement but it's still a Vibrant.

I sniped an eBay T-989 for $275, put a double capacity battery in the back, installed CM9 Hercules Nightlies, and overclocked it to 1836mhz per CPU. Now this thing screams and lasts 12 hours with non-stop Spotify use. When it gets JB it shall be my Jesus phone.