Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I tried it at WOT a few times today and no hesitation except the expected turbo lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The previous owner of my 2010 VW GTI had two mods installed. The first was an APR Stage I tune, the second was this intake: http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/Vi...797006565A11%7D

The intake's currently installed and the filter could use a cleaning. I also have the stock airbox. Is there any reason not to install the stock airbox back instead? Would I really be losing much power? Are there any other benefits I'm overlooking?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 24, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My mother is looking was looking at a Q5 as a rural real-estate sales wagon and was asking me about Audi reliability. I'm familiar with the older 2.0Ts but not the current ones or the auto trans. Does the newer Q5 drivetrain have any major known issues?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

The previous owner of my 2010 VW GTI had two mods installed. The first was an APR Stage I tune, the second was this intake: http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/Vi...797006565A11%7D

The intake's currently installed and the filter could use a cleaning. I also have the stock airbox. Is there any reason not to install the stock airbox back instead? Would I really be losing much power? Are there any other benefits I'm overlooking?

Intakes are pretty useless on a turbo'd motor. The air gets heated up so much being compressed by the turbo that anything the intake does is pretty worthless. Plus most intakes have lovely filters and pull heat from the engine bay. The only thing a "cold air intake" does on a turbo is let you hear it spool a little more.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Got a buddy about to go take a look at a 1999 Golf 4d hatch 5-speed with 151k on it. Anything particular we should be looking out for on Golfs of this vintage? As far as I can tell, this has the 2.0 4-cyl.

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
I have a driveline clunk that I am having some difficulty locating on my B5 S4 Avant.

It's mostly on/off throttle and can be felt behind the e-brake/passenger seat area. If I engage the clutch at the perfect RPM between shifts it does not happen.

I have done some research and I replaced the rear diff mount (aftermarket, apikol) and rear diff carrier mounts (aftermarket 034 poly).

I am definitely a novice mechanic, so I retorqued all of the hardware on the diff mount to the specification this weekend and noticed there is some lash on the driveshaft at the cv joint on the rear diff. (I can spin the driveshaft 1/4" by hand with the wheels on the ground.) I also looked at the carrier bearing for the driveshaft at this time and it seemed okay to me.

Is this more likely to be a prop shaft failure or the rear diff?

The car has never been driven hard and has 106k. I have recently replaced all 4 wheel bearings, all front control arms, right front axle (raxles, after i noticed the inner and outer CV boots failed and barfed grease over everything)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

My mother is looking was looking at a Q5 as a rural real-estate sales wagon and was asking me about Audi reliability. I'm familiar with the older 2.0Ts but not the current ones or the auto trans. Does the newer Q5 drivetrain have any major known issues?

Any reason it has to be a Q5? My impression was that if you're not using it as a soccer-mom mobile (i.e. you actually need interior space, which I imagine a realtor would), there are better (and cheaper) options out there. (Like real station-wagons, trucks, or SUVs)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Intakes are pretty useless on a turbo'd motor.

lol what? Cars like the Mazdaspeed3 can get 20hp/20 ft/lbs off just an intake.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

movax posted:

Any reason it has to be a Q5? My impression was that if you're not using it as a soccer-mom mobile (i.e. you actually need interior space, which I imagine a realtor would), there are better (and cheaper) options out there. (Like real station-wagons, trucks, or SUVs)

She brought up the Q5, I've recommended other options but for her needs it's not bad. They have a truck for actual work, this is for carrying clients and ground clearance on a wagon on some of the trails is a real concern. Right now she has one of those old Infiniti-badged Pathfinder things but it uses too much gas and she wants something smaller. The cost is tax deductible as a business expense.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

She brought up the Q5, I've recommended other options but for her needs it's not bad. They have a truck for actual work, this is for carrying clients and ground clearance on a wagon on some of the trails is a real concern. Right now she has one of those old Infiniti-badged Pathfinder things but it uses too much gas and she wants something smaller. The cost is tax deductible as a business expense.

The Q5 is more or less a B8 with a different body, I thought. Is ground clearance decent on it?

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
So i'm thinking of getting an R32 - looking at something with less than 50,000 miles and I want to go for a manual. I live in the UK so trying to look for a 55 plate for the cheaper tax but will go for a newer one if I find the right one.

Anything I should be looking out for when buying one of these?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

dustywusty posted:

The Q5 is more or less a B8 with a different body, I thought. Is ground clearance decent on it?

I don't know. They do have big wheels/tires and you can get them with offroad kit / underbody armor. Pretty much everything in this class is essentially a lifted sedan.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I'm looking at a 2006 Golf with an auto transmission and 70k on the clock. I know the MkIV had some issues, but I've been told these were mostly ironed out by the time the later model years came out. However, I've also been told to avoid the automatic transmission. Thing is, I have a strong preference for driving auto since I do a lot of city driving. What kind of trouble am I getting myself into if I decide to go with an auto on one of these late year MkIVs?

Kefit fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 27, 2012

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Does anyone have any experience with unsticking stuck wastegates / actuators? Some part of the assembly seems to be rusted stuck on my 98 Jetta TDI. I've been putting it up on ramps, spraying everything with penetrating oil and trying to wiggle it back and forth. Right now it won't move at all. I replaced the N75 valve before this because it was easy, and I have replacement hoses, but I haven't bother wit that yet because I can't move the actuator arm by hand.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Kefit posted:

I'm looking at a 2006 Golf with an auto transmission and 70k on the clock. I know the MkIV had some issues, but I've been told these were mostly ironed out by the time the later model years came out. However, I've also been told to avoid the automatic transmission. Thing is, I have a strong preference for driving auto since I do a lot of city driving. What kind of trouble am I getting myself into if I decide to go with an auto on one of these late year MkIVs?

2006 is MkV, unless you are in Canada and its a City Golf or something?

Either way, post 2003 is pretty safe for MkIVs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can anyone with the 2.5 tdi (d5252t) in an Audi 80, 100 or early a4 tell me where the fuel filter is?

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

lol what? Cars like the Mazdaspeed3 can get 20hp/20 ft/lbs off just an intake.

Please don't take the intake off!

TwainEethry
Aug 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Is this common with 02 Jettas?

I was going to just drive it up on ramps and jack the engine up and try to put the bolts back on. Unless of course the bolts broke or something. I left it at a shop this morning, hopefully they can fix it quickly.

I heard something fall out of the engine bay...Then leaving from a stop light THUD THUD THUD THUD

Not my car if it matters.

This just happened to my car this afternoon, was reversing from a driveway and I heard it fall. Quickly parked cause it sounded like maybe the belt was rubbing on something and making a whirring noise.
From what I looked up it looks like the bolts, my problem is that im a couple miles away from the shop and I want to know if I should even try to take the risk of driving there.

Also, any estimates on the cost of fixing it?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I found out the hard way while going through the carwash a few days ago that my MK6 2 door GTI has a leaky door seal. It's not a terrible problem in that it seems to take a lot of water to happen and it was just a few drips, but just looking around the internet it does seem to be a fairly common thing. Has anybody had this and done anything about it? I'm still under warranty and might just have them throw on new seals.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

shyguy posted:

So I found out the hard way while going through the carwash a few days ago that my MK6 2 door GTI has a leaky door seal. It's not a terrible problem in that it seems to take a lot of water to happen and it was just a few drips, but just looking around the internet it does seem to be a fairly common thing. Has anybody had this and done anything about it? I'm still under warranty and might just have them throw on new seals.

Mine leaks a little too, but not enough to really matter. Does your rear washer nozzle leak too?

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

veedubfreak posted:

Does your rear washer nozzle leak too?

Hey, I remember this! TSB #2023248, post in VWV thread here.

As for the door seals, I've had the exact same issue in very (VERY) heavy rain on both my 2011 TDI and 2012 Golf R. I haven't bothered telling the dealer about it.

siliciferous fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 5, 2012

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
I have been having trouble with my 2000 Passat for a while now and I can't seem to find what's causing it. The main symptom is a drastic reduction of RPM when I press down on the clutch. If the RPM is high enough when pressing down, the engine stalls and turns off. The car usually turns off during intersections and busy streets. Can you give me some ideas of what usually causes this problem? Hopefully it is easy to fix.

The engine also stops when I stay on neutral for long periods of time, usually around 10 minutes or so. The car's RPM will gradually decrease, and I can see that it tries to keep itself working by revving itself up, but usually this is not enough, and the car stops.

Pseudo-God fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 5, 2012

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Pseudo-God posted:

I have been having trouble with my 2000 Passat for a while now and I can't seem to find what's causing it. The main symptom is a drastic reduction of RPM when I press down on the clutch. If the RPM is high enough when pressing down, the engine stalls and turns off. The car usually turns off during intersections and busy streets. Can you give me some ideas of what usually causes this problem? Hopefully it is easy to fix.

The engine also stops when I stay on neutral for long periods of time, usually around 10 minutes or so. The car's RPM will gradually decrease, and I can see that it tries to keep itself working by revving itself up, but usually this is not enough, and the car stops.

Random shot in the dark but that really kinda sounds to me like a dirty/hosed MAF.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pseudo-God posted:

The ISV/IACV should be handling the idle. Several things could be causing this if it's is an IACV issue, from the IACV itself to the TPS not signaling closed throttle (in which case the IACV will never activate).

Just how invested are you in fixing this yourself, what kinds of tools and facilities do you have at your disposal, and what id your experience wrenching?

Method Loser posted:

Random shot in the dark but that really kinda sounds to me like a dirty/hosed MAF.

Not quite sure how you jumped to that conclusion, but I could be wrong. If I am give me an idea of your line of thinking here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I wandered over to Audizine and browsed through the forums there; awful content and posters aside, there was a cheap modification mentioned that involved tossing the RS4 sway bar onto a B6 or B7 for an improvement in handling, especially on tight corners.

It's cheap ($150) and I have the tools, but is it really going to make a noticeable difference if the rest of the suspension components are all still stock?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

movax posted:

I wandered over to Audizine and browsed through the forums there; awful content and posters aside, there was a cheap modification mentioned that involved tossing the RS4 sway bar onto a B6 or B7 for an improvement in handling, especially on tight corners.

It's cheap ($150) and I have the tools, but is it really going to make a noticeable difference if the rest of the suspension components are all still stock?

If you drive your car hard enough everywhere that the body roll is enough to currently bother you, then go for it, otherwise these sorts of mods work best in conjunction with other suspension work. IE, an RS4 will already have better suspension components than yours.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

The ISV/IACV should be handling the idle. Several things could be causing this if it's is an IACV issue, from the IACV itself to the TPS not signaling closed throttle (in which case the IACV will never activate).

Just how invested are you in fixing this yourself, what kinds of tools and facilities do you have at your disposal, and what id your experience wrenching?

Not quite sure how you jumped to that conclusion, but I could be wrong. If I am give me an idea of your line of thinking here.

drat, I was going to suggest he needs to adjust his idle jet on the carb, then see how long he looked for a carburetor.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
2011 GTI...

I'm tired of the horn honk when locking the doors. I know I can replace the alarm horn with a soft chirp siren or disable it with vagcom. Can I just unplug it without throwing a code?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

jeff8472 posted:

2011 GTI...

I'm tired of the horn honk when locking the doors. I know I can replace the alarm horn with a soft chirp siren or disable it with vagcom. Can I just unplug it without throwing a code?

You should probably do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU6BepKUZWE

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Motronic posted:

Like I said, kinda a shot in the dark, but I've had similar wonky things happen with dirty MAFs, considering his problem isn't just idling, it's any time there isn't a load on the engine, which I dunno just because I hate MAFs and have had bad experiences with them causing weird pseudo-regular issues, it's the first thing I want to blame in any case where it seems like an engine is dying for lack of a proper air/fuel ratio.

If I hated fuel filters as much ads I hate MAFs I guess I would be blaming that, too, though, so whatever, take anything I say about this with a grain of salt (and obviously you know more than me about these engines, so I
ll defer my opinion)

edit: basically I am a racist, except against MAFs. Partist? something. gently caress those little wires. (still better than carbs)

And while I'm at it: I also blame your Crank Angle Sensor (if you have one [even if you do it's not that]) hate those things so much

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 6, 2012

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin
Not ready to try this on my MKVI GTI but I loved this linked on the VW door chime mod vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIceA8lAxcw

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I would never in a million years do that to my car.

edit: I wish I could be there when the next owner of that car comes in to report a "mysterious door rattle"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Method Loser posted:

edit: basically I am a racist, except against MAFs. Partist? something. gently caress those little wires. (still better than carbs)

And while I'm at it: I also blame your Crank Angle Sensor (if you have one [even if you do it's not that]) hate those things so much

Well, I'll pretty much subscribe to your newsletter on this. They are the kinds of things that instead of setting an obvious DTC they end up making things run like crap and setting a bunch of symptom DTCs on almost everything. Their failure modes basically aren't monitored well by most OBDII implementations and it's infuriating.

But I like to try to rule out the possibly direct (and non $400 replacement part) issues first before jumping right on to replacing a MAF. I typically find that by the time someone asks for help on a vehicle issue it's in really bad shape and actually at least 2 or more issues. It' really nice to be able to tie something up into a bow with one part, but it's not likely to happen with a non AI-gooney-I rebuild my motor for poo poo and giggles every few months kinda situation. Most people drive things into the loving ground because they don't know any better and are basically scared off by repair prices to the point that they try to will minor problems away until they become big problems or compound issues that either incapacitate the vehicle or make it so scary to drive that they can't trust it anymore.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

jeff8472 posted:

2011 GTI...

On my MKV it was just a stock option in the menus, it was named like "ATA Confirmation" or something.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Motronic posted:

But I like to try to rule out the possibly direct (and non $400 replacement part) issues first before jumping right on to replacing a MAF.

Ah, but a good cleaning is (basically) free :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Method Loser posted:

Ah, but a good cleaning is (basically) free :D

It's also a 33/33/33 shot of "it might work", "it made no difference" and "it's been made worse I need a new MAF now". Especially when suggesting it to the uninitiated.

Cleaning a MAF is not a regular service item. It's a last resort before replacing it. Regardless of what CRC and anyone else who makes MAF cleaner (or repackages electronic cleaner with a label that say "MAF Cleaner" on it) tells you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

beejay posted:

On my MKV it was just a stock option in the menus, it was named like "ATA Confirmation" or something.

VW is slowly taking away options in the MFD. There's very little you can do anymore.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

beejay posted:

2010 was the last year it was an option without enabling it with vagcom.

jeff8472 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 7, 2012

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just installed a "short shifter" into my 2010 GTI and readjusted the linkage. Short shifter is in quotes because I just went with the OEM one that comes stock in the S3. The throws are a good bit shorter and it feels more precise all while maintaining a stock feel (because it is). Definitely recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jeff8472 posted:

2010 was the last year it was an option without enabling it with vagcom.

I asked this earlier in the thread, but can't remember the answer -- your average dealer can't/won't program it out for you, either, right?