Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Ever since Google disabled GPU acceleration in a Chrome update I haven't had any more kernel panics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
My TB display does that, but it's only occasional, like once a day occasional.

If it only happens while watching HSN it might be the display trying to kill itself.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Ask Me About Loom posted:

http://unreal-designs.net/AppleBytes/?p=164

Hopefully the old fix is relevant to the 27"

when i try to install it tells me "you do not need this update"

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I have a early 2011 15in MBP and I really need a HDD upgrade for storage. Will I have to do anything special with the 128GB SSD which has a partition for Windows 7? Or hopefully, I will just be able to buy a 500GB HDD and pop it in and both Mac/Windows will automatically detect it as a new drive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sean_Miller posted:

I have a early 2011 15in MBP and I really need a HDD upgrade for storage. Will I have to do anything special with the 128GB SSD which has a partition for Windows 7? Or hopefully, I will just be able to buy a 500GB HDD and pop it in and both Mac/Windows will automatically detect it as a new drive.
If both OSes will be using it for storage, if you don't want to be using any extra software (to read the other OSes format) your only choice is formatting it ExFAT (or plain old FAT, but that sucks).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

japtor posted:

If both OSes will be using it for storage, if you don't want to be using any extra software (to read the other OSes format) your only choice is formatting it ExFAT (or plain old FAT, but that sucks).

You could split it up 50/50. Both OSes can read (but not write) the other's format.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Since I hardly use Windows 7 I will be using the storage for Mac. I still haven't upgraded to Lion yet.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I have a high end early 15" 2011 macbook pro, is it worth it to upgrade to retina? I don't have an SSD so that is mostly my motivation for wanting to upgrade, other than the beautiful screen of course..

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

damaca posted:

Thanks for that. Will see about this tomorrow.

If this turns out to be the culprit, I assume it won't be free to fix? I wasn't particularly interested in Applecare after I covered my MBP in beer.
It's free if that's the issue. And if it's not covered in beer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bastard Priest posted:

I have a high end early 15" 2011 macbook pro, is it worth it to upgrade to retina? I don't have an SSD so that is mostly my motivation for wanting to upgrade, other than the beautiful screen of course..

Do you want insanely sharp fonts in a handful of apps and screen tearing and other issues until who knows when?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bastard Priest posted:

Just buy an SSD

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bastard Priest posted:

no

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

AlphaDog and damaca, it sounds like you both have the REP issue (if you have the 15" model). There's a 4-5 minute test that any Apple Store or AASP can run for you to confirm (referred to as "VST," in case you get a new person or someone who hasn't done it before).

Sonic Dude posted:

It's free if that's the issue. And if it's not covered in beer.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

We took it to an Apple Store and waited for nearly 3 hours when they were "testing" it. It "failed" a graphics-related test, and they said that couldn't possibly be true, so they got a few other people to come and test it again (3 or 4 times) until it "passed", then said they'd hold on to it "for more testing". A few days later, they returned it saying that they "could not replicate the issue" and therefore there was nothing wrong with it. Apparently they didn't read the error logs, and they didn't take the printouts that I'd brought with me.

I'm pretty disgusted by the whole situation, to be perfectly honest. What was the test it "failed" multiple times before "passing"? Why do you even do a test if you're going to keep repeating it until it miraculously says all is well? Why couldn't they replicate the well-documented issue? Why did they not want to read/keep the error reports I printed for them (which all pointed to the same issue)? If that was because they'd read the error log, then having read the error log, why would they say "it's fine"?

I'm guessing that it was because it was nearly at the end of the REP period and given that she got pissed off and waited a few weeks before doing anything further, that period has now expired.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 9, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a G4 and G5 running 10.5.8. I'd like to use Bluetooth mice with both of them but I don't care for any of the apple ones. My main concern is lag. Do I have to worry about which BT adapter I get with respect to lag? How about mice? Are all 3rd party BT mice laggier than apple's? Or will there always be noticeable lag regardless of what adapter/mouse I use?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a decent experience a while back with this Logitech but it seems like everyone besides Apple is cutting corners in design and firmware. It doesn't feel as good as a wired or dongle mouse. If you need a dongle anyway, maybe get one of the non-bluetooth ones. Licensing the bluetooth standard apparently costs enough that companies will put out fewer products and fewer revisions that use them. Honestly, good wired mice are dirt cheap, they feel as good if not better and they last longer.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

AlphaDog posted:

We took it to an Apple Store and waited for nearly 3 hours when they were "testing" it. It "failed" a graphics-related test, and they said that couldn't possibly be true, so they got a few other people to come and test it again (3 or 4 times) until it "passed", then said they'd hold on to it "for more testing". A few days later, they returned it saying that they "could not replicate the issue" and therefore there was nothing wrong with it. Apparently they didn't read the error logs, and they didn't take the printouts that I'd brought with me.

I'm pretty disgusted by the whole situation, to be perfectly honest. What was the test it "failed" multiple times before "passing"? Why do you even do a test if you're going to keep repeating it until it miraculously says all is well? Why couldn't they replicate the well-documented issue? Why did they not want to read/keep the error reports I printed for them (which all pointed to the same issue)? If that was because they'd read the error log, then having read the error log, why would they say "it's fine"?

I'm guessing that it was because it was nearly at the end of the REP period and given that she got pissed off and waited a few weeks before doing anything further, that period has now expired.

It's possible you could be covered, further reading through the public Apple documentation shows this repair is covered for two years from purchase date as seen here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?locale=en_US but that's for the US, I'm not sure about Australia.

These are the three symptoms Apple lists for this specific issue:
• The computer intermittently stops displaying video on the built-in display or on an external display, resulting in a black or gray screen
• The computer's display intermittently hangs/freezes
• The computer experiences random/intermittent shutdown

I also thought you were the guy with beer in his computer but that does not seem to be the case. I'd recommend escalating your issue to their Lead Genius, and not one of their managers because the managers don't know what the gently caress to do about this kind of stuff and would just make the Lead do all the legwork anyway.

If it fails VST and if you're out of the two year mark, if there was documentation made of the symptom under warranty then there is a 45 day period where a repair can still be performed and covered by Apple after the two year mark ends.

1997 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 9, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm a big fan of wired mice but in this case it's not really what I want. I'm game to at least try out a few to know for sure. Just wanted some insight on where to start.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

1997 posted:

It's possible you could be covered, further reading through the public Apple documentation shows this repair is covered for two years from purchase date as seen here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?locale=en_US but that's for the US, I'm not sure about Australia.

These are the three symptoms Apple lists for this specific issue:
• The computer intermittently stops displaying video on the built-in display or on an external display, resulting in a black or gray screen
• The computer's display intermittently hangs/freezes
• The computer experiences random/intermittent shutdown

I also thought you were the guy with beer in his computer but that does not seem to be the case. I'd recommend escalating your issue to their Lead Genius, and not one of their managers because the managers don't know what the gently caress to do about this kind of stuff and would just make the Lead do all the legwork anyway.

If it fails VST and if you're out of the two year mark, if there was documentation made of the symptom under warranty then there is a 45 day period where a repair can still be performed and covered by Apple after the two year mark ends.

OK, I'll probably try that for her then. It's doing all those things, and doing them more frequently as time passes.

It might be out of the REP period and also out of the 45 day period by now though. Like I said, she cracked the shits with them completely, so she didn't try to escalate at the time. I think the fact that we watched it fail a test a few times and then were told that there was nothing wrong with it is what pushed her that tiny bit too far.

I'll try again with them, but she's pretty much decided on a PC now anyway - she bought the macbook because of past experience with Apple's reliability and service, and her confidence in that is now completely shot. Also, she/we can't afford a computer that expensive these days, and she no longer needs a laptop. Of course, if we can get it fixed under REP and then sell it, that's a way better option than selling it as-is (neither of us are dishonest enough to as to try to pass it off as working perfectly).

Edit: Either way, if we get more than $500-600 for it, that's a new desktop PC that will do everything she wants, and that I can maintain and upgrade. I should say here that I by no means dislike Macs, and I was even considering a desktop Mac about a year ago, before realising I just didn't have the money.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

AlphaDog posted:

I went through this runaround with a bad Mac Mini for months. Constant freezes and kernel panics and they wouldn't fix poo poo because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Without a specific hardware issue to point to, they consider it a software error and that's "not our problem" (yes, even when you point out to them it's their drat software, too!).

If you're in California or a state with similar warranty laws, it may not matter if the warranty period expired; if you brought the machine in with that issue before the warranty ended and they failed to fix it, you are probably still covered until they do.

You can try calling AppleCare and escalating the issue up the chain, but that didn't help me at all.

What will help you most is if you can pin down some way to quickly and consistently reproduce the freeze/panic/crash every time. Once you have that, and it's reproducible even after a clean install and/or network boot from a known good system at the Genious Bar, they'll have to acknowledge it. (I eventually got my Mini replaced when I discovered it couldn't connect to certain wifi networks at all.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a G4 and G5 running 10.5.8. I'd like to use Bluetooth mice with both of them but I don't care for any of the apple ones. My main concern is lag. Do I have to worry about which BT adapter I get with respect to lag? How about mice? Are all 3rd party BT mice laggier than apple's? Or will there always be noticeable lag regardless of what adapter/mouse I use?

Like fleshweasel says, I'd just go with one of the Logitech RF mice and don't look back. I got an M505 on sale for only $20, and Staples has all of the M3XX line on sale for the same price; their RF technology feels much more responsive than Apple's implementation of Bluetooth and it works OOTB. You don't need to install Logitech Control Center software unless you like random kernel panics.

FWIW I used to spec out Logitech's own Bluetooth mouse with a recharger cradle (that lit up when you put the mouse in, ooooh) in one studio and none of the artists used it (although they specifically asked for it because they saw it in MacWorld) because they said it was too jumpy. And this was with iMac G5s with their built-in Bluetooth.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

I went through this runaround with a bad Mac Mini for months. Constant freezes and kernel panics and they wouldn't fix poo poo because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Without a specific hardware issue to point to, they consider it a software error and that's "not our problem" (yes, even when you point out to them it's their drat software, too!).

If you're in California or a state with similar warranty laws, it may not matter if the warranty period expired; if you brought the machine in with that issue before the warranty ended and they failed to fix it, you are probably still covered until they do.

You can try calling AppleCare and escalating the issue up the chain, but that didn't help me at all.

What will help you most is if you can pin down some way to quickly and consistently reproduce the freeze/panic/crash every time. Once you have that, and it's reproducible even after a clean install and/or network boot from a known good system at the Genious Bar, they'll have to acknowledge it. (I eventually got my Mini replaced when I discovered it couldn't connect to certain wifi networks at all.)

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I'm in Australia, but our warranty laws are pretty good, so I guess we might be OK.

I'm trying to phrase this question in the least confrontational way possible, because I'm not a Mac user and I don't understand: Does OSX not have some sort of error logging they could look at and say "gently caress, yeah, there's the problem right there, it was X"? I would think that would be easy enough to do if you always knew exactly what hardware was in there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks BB and FW.

Any good review sites that test wireless mice with emphasis on lag?

For some reason I got the impression that BT was more responsive than dongle-RF.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AlphaDog posted:

I would think that would be easy enough to do if you always knew exactly what hardware was in there.

Most Mac Genius' ignore the Console logs for the vast majority of issues, and rely on the internal ASD testing. (takes X hours to complete and gives specific errors) then they we can say 'oh hey, RAM failed, time to replace that'

or whatever. Not sure why you're being given the run around. Just curious, which store are you taking your machine to? (you can PM me if you'd prefer).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I'm in Australia, but our warranty laws are pretty good, so I guess we might be OK.

I'm trying to phrase this question in the least confrontational way possible, because I'm not a Mac user and I don't understand: Does OSX not have some sort of error logging they could look at and say "gently caress, yeah, there's the problem right there, it was X"? I would think that would be easy enough to do if you always knew exactly what hardware was in there.

Logs are compiled from various sources around the system in Utilities/Console.app. Not sure if the issue will appear, but it's worth checking out.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think I hosed up.

I tried to upgrade the RAM on my 2011 Macbook Pro and now it wont power on. The battery test light doesn't work, if I plug it in the light on the adapter is very dim and if I put the old RAM back in it still doesn't turn back on. I got nothing. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Edit: GOT IT! I did a power reset on the thing, just unplugged the battery from the motherboard. It's working now with my RAM upgrade.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 9, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BigRed0427 posted:

I think I hosed up.

I tried to upgrade the RAM on my 2011 Macbook Pro and now it wont power on. The battery test light doesn't work, if I plug it in the light on the adapter is very dim and if I put the old RAM back in it still doesn't turn back on. I got nothing. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Are you sure you're pushing the RAM in all the way?

I've probably swapped RAM a hundred times and never had a problem. But if it's your first time you just might not have it in right.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

It's probably no consolation, but the VST is terrible and barely works - that's why they ran it multiple times. I've gotten it to run maybe 20% of the time on machines that clearly qualify for the REP, and even then it only properly shows the failure about 50% of the time. My own machine had the problem, and it took me a solid day of continually restarting/retrying the drat test (while I was working on other stuff) to finally get the failure/coverage to show up in the system.

Not sure why they didn't just accept the failure that it showed in the first place (unless the manager said they were covering too many repairs or something else stupid), but it's not unheard of for people to just run that test 500 times and see how it goes.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Who here has the rMBP?

Got mine a few days ago and I'm pretty bummed out by how laggy/choppy it feels. Is anyone running ML on theirs/does that make it better? My 2011 MBP is a better experience at this point, and as good as the retina screen looks it isn't worth a laggy UI.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been on the MBPr for about a week after it was announce, and I haven't had any of the choppiness. If it means anything, it's plugged in most of the time. However, Chrome has caused 2 kernel panics for me. Not as bad as my Hackintosh, and with a SSD and how Lion auto restores, I'm back up in like 15 seconds anyways.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sonic Dude posted:

It's probably no consolation, but the VST is terrible and barely works - that's why they ran it multiple times.

I can't empty quote, but this would be worth it.

To contribute, the issue is a pain, because intermittent issues are drat hard to replicate. VST tho was a very quickly put together test, and it shows.

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

AlphaDog and damaca, it sounds like you both have the REP issue (if you have the 15" model). There's a 4-5 minute test that any Apple Store or AASP can run for you to confirm (referred to as "VST," in case you get a new person or someone who hasn't done it before).

Just came back from the AASP. Predictably, they had no idea what the VST was, even after showing them this thread and various google searches referencing it. Is there proper documentation I can refer to for this process? I can find people referencing the test, but not from Apple.

They wanted $99 just to test the machine using ASD and 'have a look around inside' :wtc:

Is VST available somewhere so I can download and run it myelf? EDIT: I can find the ASD easily enough. Perhaps I will give that a go as well.

damaca fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 9, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try going to a different Apple Store if you can. I avoid one of the stores in my city because they are known for bad service.

Anyone in San Francisco: gently caress the one in the Stonestown mall. Go to the one at Chestnut St. Great service and not always mega packed like the one on Stockton.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Could try the last resort "email the CEO" trick, Tim Cook's is tcook@apple.com apparently (or at least is one of the aliases), or the new head retail guy, have to take a wild guess on his email though.

fleshweasel posted:

I had a decent experience a while back with this Logitech but it seems like everyone besides Apple is cutting corners in design and firmware. It doesn't feel as good as a wired or dongle mouse. If you need a dongle anyway, maybe get one of the non-bluetooth ones. Licensing the bluetooth standard apparently costs enough that companies will put out fewer products and fewer revisions that use them. Honestly, good wired mice are dirt cheap, they feel as good if not better and they last longer.
I had a v470, usable but the lag drove me nuts...oddly it seemed ok in Windows though, perhaps something to do with the differing acceleration profiles hiding it. Supposedly Bluetooth 2.0 mice were much better than the 1.x ones, but I'm guessing it just varies wildly by model.

But yeah the safest/easiest thing is to just get one of their RF ones if you need wireless.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

grahm posted:

Who here has the rMBP?

Got mine a few days ago and I'm pretty bummed out by how laggy/choppy it feels. Is anyone running ML on theirs/does that make it better? My 2011 MBP is a better experience at this point, and as good as the retina screen looks it isn't worth a laggy UI.
Have you got all the updates from software update? Mine was a bit choppy when I first took it out of the box but after a few rounds of updates and reboots it's pretty close to how my 2011 MBP was.

I've recently installed the latest Mountain Lion Dev Preview on it and the performance is slightly better than Lion when using it at the native or the scaled 1680x1050 modes, although it's a bit choppier at 1920x1200 (unsurprising since it's rendering the desktop at 3840x2400 and scaling it back down to 2880x1800). There's still a few things that need tweaking in ML so I wouldn't be surprised to see increased performance in the final release.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

grahm posted:

Who here has the rMBP?

Mine's been perfectly fine, and I've been using both the 1680x1050 mode and 1920x1200 mode. Doesn't feel any slower than my 2009 MBP. I also don't use Chrome.

however I am using Mountain Lion dev previews so that could have something to do with it :ssh:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Any Ontario goons have any experience dealing with Jump+? Rumor has it one is opening nearby and I'm in a region with no actual Apple retail stores (Future Shop being the closest reseller-only) and trying to decide if it's something to be happy about or if it's not a gamechanger at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mercurius posted:

Have you got all the updates from software update? Mine was a bit choppy when I first took it out of the box but after a few rounds of updates and reboots it's pretty close to how my 2011 MBP was.

I've recently installed the latest Mountain Lion Dev Preview on it and the performance is slightly better than Lion when using it at the native or the scaled 1680x1050 modes, although it's a bit choppier at 1920x1200 (unsurprising since it's rendering the desktop at 3840x2400 and scaling it back down to 2880x1800). There's still a few things that need tweaking in ML so I wouldn't be surprised to see increased performance in the final release.

Normally I despise Safari, but I've been running the beta on Lion (on the rMBP) and I think it's actually good enough, finally, that I don't immediately jump to Chrome to do everything. I do still have the Chrome dev channel installed (at least until the Retina awareness hits beta or stable) just in case I need it though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

mediaphage posted:

Normally I despise Safari, but I've been running the beta on Lion (on the rMBP) and I think it's actually good enough, finally, that I don't immediately jump to Chrome to do everything. I do still have the Chrome dev channel installed (at least until the Retina awareness hits beta or stable) just in case I need it though.

What don't you like about Safari? I've noticed a lot of people don't use it and I'm curious as to why. I like how simple it is without being clunky. I have noticed that if left unattended it seems to grow out of control as far as memory usage though. I typically leave a lot of pdf articles up in tabs and over time it will really eat the hell out of my memory.

I was never a fan of chrome but it seems to be the browser of choice these days for most of you users. Is it just that much more compact?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I use it because the auto-update system is good, has a wider selection of extensions, a better security record, and better security defaults (like click-to-run Java during the whole Flashback debacle). In addition, out of third party browsers, they'll never be able to match Safari in nativeness but they try really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Regarding the laggy UI of the Retina MBP: Could this be happening when it switches to the integrated Intel graphics? Maybe someone can try that gfxcardstatus app and force it to always use the discrete card.