Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I ordered a Nexus 7 8GB model, but I immediately regret not getting the 16GB version. I can't cancel the order, though. Google will only allow me to get it and return it, but I'll have to pay return shipping. I'm going to see how much that will cost me, but really if there's a goon that for some reason missed the pre-order (if they stop preorders or there's an 8GB model shortage, I'll pass it along for what I paid for it, and just spend the money shipping it to a goon.

Could I ask your reasoning behind regretting it? Because right now I'm trying to make the same decision, and the way I see it I'm gonna fill the tablet up with random poo poo no matter the capacity, so might as well save 40 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

I'm eyeballing the TF300 for a comic book reader because my iPad 1 is just too heavy. Is it still considered the best of the bunch for 10.1" tablets under $500? Does anyone know if Jellybean will come somewhat quickly to it?

Asus has been typically the best company to provide OS updates. And they've had the JB source code for longest, since they are partnered on the Nexus.

That said, the right answer is no one knows, but don't expect it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Freezer posted:

Could I ask your reasoning behind regretting it? Because right now I'm trying to make the same decision, and the way I see it I'm gonna fill the tablet up with random poo poo no matter the capacity, so might as well save 40 pounds.

Well, shipping is like $20. If I bought it instore, then that'd mean the 16Gb would only be 30 more dollars. Also, they only have the dark grey case, but I saw ASUS posted a bunch more colors on twitter, and I'd rather have one of them as well.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Syrinxx posted:

I'm eyeballing the TF300 for a comic book reader because my iPad 1 is just too heavy. Is it still considered the best of the bunch for 10.1" tablets under $500? Does anyone know if Jellybean will come somewhat quickly to it?

At this point I would just wait for the Infinity. It's going to start at $499 for the 32GB version and comes out in the next two weeks sometime.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The 8gig has 5 usable gigs out of the box. Avoid it (I had and sold the white I/O version).

Unless you are ok with that little amount of space. I wasn't.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

IT Guy posted:

At this point I would just wait for the Infinity. It's going to start at $499 for the 32GB version and comes out in the next two weeks sometime.

Looks like it drains the battery like a boss too.

Do the tf201 onward struggle with 720p youtube? I mean skipping and lag ect?

With mvideoplayer I can fix it for videos I have on my device but HD youtube is unwatchable on my 101

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Is the 16gb model going to be 249 at gamestop too? No reason to pay shipping since Google charges sales tax if that's the case

Edit nm engadget says yes

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

GreatKesh posted:

Never had an issue with youtube on my TF201. The GPS is 100% useless, but I use my phone for GPS, not my 10" tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never had issues with 720p Youtube on my Xoom, ditto for 720p from IMDB.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

GreatKesh posted:

Looks like it drains the battery like a boss too.

With mvideoplayer I can fix it for videos I have on my device but HD youtube is unwatchable on my 101
The TF201 does great with the high resolution stuff in my experience. As long as you have a good signal and speed it shouldn't be an issue at all. It does pretty good with 720p, mkv files as well, I bought MX player to do it since it was the only hardware accelerated player out at the time (or the only one that mentioned it).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

IT Guy posted:

I forgot it came out so soon, thanks. Unless comiXology plans to bring the CMX-HD retina comics to the Infinity I won't have a big motivation to spend the extra $125 but I'll keep my eye on the reviews.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Syrinxx posted:

Out of curiosity why have you ruled out the iPad 2/new iPad? Either of those would also solve the weight issue, but with less of a switching cost.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vagrancy posted:

Out of curiosity why have you ruled out the iPad 2/new iPad? Either of those would also solve the weight issue, but with less of a switching cost.
It's mostly because I hate Apple and their ecosystem but pragmatically it's because 16GB is way too little storage for a "retina"/HD tablet where single games and apps can take up over a gigabyte each. The CMX-HD files are also about twice as large as normal comic files.

So I figure an Android tablet with 64GB of storage will cost $400 (TF300) to $525 (Infinity) where a 64GB iPad is a completely ridiculous $700

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Does "ecosystem" mean "app selection"? That term seems to be used in lots of different ways.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ecosystem is a bit of an umbrella term. Could refer to the App store, could refer to how their business practices play out, device interoperability, software to access said devices like iTunes, etc.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-2-release-date-rumored-to-be-August-7th_id31893

Kindle Fire 2 rumored to be coming on August 7th.

It'll supposedly have a "metal frame with otherwise plastic body" and a display made by LG and touch panels by TPK.

Amazon is rumored to have ordered 2 million units already from China.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Edit: Made a big mistake.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 10, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mister Fister posted:

Err, what? I guess they mean JB without any modification from Amazon (unlike the original KF), because they'd have no time to create a modified JB by August.

That sorta screams BS to me, because it seems the whole point of the KF is to lock people into amazon.

"the Nexus 7 comes with a much more powerful quad-core chip and 12-core graphics, as well as a front-facing camera and a full Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. "

He's not even talking about the KF in that sentence.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Mr. Despair posted:

"the Nexus 7 comes with a much more powerful quad-core chip and 12-core graphics, as well as a front-facing camera and a full Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. "

He's not even talking about the KF in that sentence.

Ah damnit, totally hosed up reading that.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
For the three or four people of the world who have a Xyboard, ICS leaked for it, and its glorious...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1750811

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone with an asus transformer and ICS have an irc program that is stable? I use to use andchat but it and androirc seem to freeze up a lot for me now.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I have a TF101 updated with ICS (4.0.3) that's been giving me a headache lately.

When attached to the dock and fully charged, the battery of both the dock and tablet will drain ~30% overnight when the thing is supposedly powered off (long hold on the standby button and clicking "yes" on the power down dialog). Everything is set to 'switch off' when on standby, wifi, syncing etc, but as I'm powering the thing off completely I'd expect the drat thing to actually be switched off.

When docked and on a regular standby, it seems to be draining about 1% from the dock every 10-15mins, and 1% from the tablet every 20mins or so, according to Dual Battery Widget. As far as I can tell, there's no app's running in the background. And as I said, wifi/syncing etc is all set to switch off on standby. CPU Spy shows that its going into 'Deep Sleep' properly so I'm at a loss as to what could be going on.

I'm going to try leaving it powered off and un-docked tonight and see if it drains the battery of the tablet its self any worse than when it's docked. In the mean time does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rastor posted:

Never had an issue with youtube on my TF201. The GPS is 100% useless, but I use my phone for GPS, not my 10" tablet.

uapyro posted:

The TF201 does great with the high resolution stuff in my experience. As long as you have a good signal and speed it shouldn't be an issue at all. It does pretty good with 720p, mkv files as well, I bought MX player to do it since it was the only hardware accelerated player out at the time (or the only one that mentioned it).

I do have a 1 - 2 bar connection out of 4 (I think thats the max) where I normally use it but even if I let it completely load it doesn't work. The default player also sucks at 720p as well, but like i said I got an app that works 100%

e: it kind of sounds like the patches aren't really being optimised/tested on the tf101 because of all the complaints, which kind of makes sense. Apple is much more worse for this, atleast on ipods

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 10, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Pinny posted:

I have a TF101 updated with ICS (4.0.3) that's been giving me a headache lately.

When attached to the dock and fully charged, the battery of both the dock and tablet will drain ~30% overnight when the thing is supposedly powered off (long hold on the standby button and clicking "yes" on the power down dialog). Everything is set to 'switch off' when on standby, wifi, syncing etc, but as I'm powering the thing off completely I'd expect the drat thing to actually be switched off.

When docked and on a regular standby, it seems to be draining about 1% from the dock every 10-15mins, and 1% from the tablet every 20mins or so, according to Dual Battery Widget. As far as I can tell, there's no app's running in the background. And as I said, wifi/syncing etc is all set to switch off on standby. CPU Spy shows that its going into 'Deep Sleep' properly so I'm at a loss as to what could be going on.

I'm going to try leaving it powered off and un-docked tonight and see if it drains the battery of the tablet its self any worse than when it's docked. In the mean time does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

That's pretty odd. Do you have the keyboard dock's power-save mode on? Have you tried powering the tablet back on after just a couple of hours to see if the amount of drain is proportional? I've had the circuitry in lithium batteries go a little strange on me before, where the percentage gets really pessimistic and is under-reported.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Kynetx posted:

That's pretty odd. Do you have the keyboard dock's power-save mode on? Have you tried powering the tablet back on after just a couple of hours to see if the amount of drain is proportional? I've had the circuitry in lithium batteries go a little strange on me before, where the percentage gets really pessimistic and is under-reported.
Battery charge levels in lith-ion batteries are reported from some circuitry attached to the battery itself. The problem is that these levels are 'estimated' when you first get the battery, then during usage/draining/charging, statistics are collected in order to better calculate battery capacity in the future. Have you ever noticed that you seem to lose a lot of battery percentage sometimes, then it just hangs on at 3-4% at the end for a surprisingly long amount of time?

You can wipe the battery stats in the ClockworkMod bootloader (I don't know if you can do it in the default bootloader with the TF101, not owning one myself), then if you charge both batteries to full capacity when powered down, then disconnect from the mains, power up and let them both completely drain, you should see some more accurate stats.

Come to think of it; your dock and tablet battery are separate, and should have separate sets of battery stats. I'm not sure how you'd go about wiping the stats in the dock. Anybody else got an answer?

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 10, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone with an asus transformer and ICS have an irc program that is stable? I use to use andchat but it and androirc seem to freeze up a lot for me now.

I've been using AndroIRC and like it a lot. The tablet interface for it is really well done. ICS styled too!

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I have absolutely no idea what's going on with it. All the power save settings are on. Although I did notice in the battery usage graph that the wifi was still using battery in standby, even though the settings were set to switch it off. I've put one of the auto airplane apps on to handle that now and the wifi cuts out as I'd expect it to in standby.

I'm just confused as to why, when the whole thing is powered down its managing to gobble up 30% battery from both the tablet and dock (both from 99% to 69%) overnight. After playing with it from about 8:30am to now (6hours) both batteries are now reporting 46%, so around 23% usage from random browsing, app updates and some standby over 6hours seems about right.

One of the guys I work with mentioned something about batteries and android mis-reporting their charge if they don't get fully discharged and recharged properly. Thing is its been fully charged and not re-charged until its flat nearly all the time, as it runs flat when powered off and I end up having to fully charge it nearly everytime I want to use it.

I might try running the tablet without the dock for a while and see what it behaves like after a few charges. Then see how it behaves with the dock afterwards. Its just getting annoying powering it off then coming to use it a day or so later and its completely dead :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

I use this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.countercultured.irc&hl=en on both my phone and my tablet

revolther
May 27, 2008

Pinny posted:

Wouldn't common knowledge be that leaving the two components attached while powered down is triggering the usb connectors as if charging but no current is supplied so your batteries are draining into nothing overnight.

Also, go into wireless settings, then the advanced menu, and tell everything to turn off while sleeping, make sure in dev settings(same area as usb debugging options in settings) it's not set to keep awake during charging, because that will most likely be triggered by the usb connection too.

Then use something like Greenbattery/power whatever it's called, to make a power profile that turns off all your radios whenever the sleep is engaged or screen turns off.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Do you own an Acer Iconia Tab A500? Me too. The meetings are on Fridays in the church basement.

Anyways, it looks like they're actually releasing another update. It's still Android 4.0.3, nobody knows what's changed, and the time between the last leak and official roll out was months, so try not to get too excited.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

revolther posted:

Wouldn't common knowledge be that leaving the two components attached while powered down is triggering the usb connectors as if charging but no current is supplied so your batteries are draining into nothing overnight.
Is that really commen knowledge? Nothing in the USB spec would indicate that's the case. And since the tablet doesn't ever charge the dock I don't see how it could work as you describe, since both devices are losing battery when off.

revolther
May 27, 2008
That batteries are triggered by contacts? USB pins and charging is pretty low level hardware instructions, Android has some calls/ability to regulate power flow in/out as well as detect the type of power source(wall/pc/battery dock), but this is happening when the devices are off and Android isn't aware of them.

So process of elimination would say, some hardware aspect (UNIQUE DOCK NOT GENERALLY USED BY THESE TYPES OF DEVICES) isn't detecting that the devices are off while connected, and pulling from both at some arbitrary rate determined by the hardware/chipset.

Dollars to donuts I bet if he unplugged them from each other at night, the problem would go away or at least give us more info to solve. Maybe this.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yes if he hasn't already gotten the faulty chipset replaced in his old TF101 he should certainly ship it back to ASUS for repair, but since he said "lately" I assumed this was a new problem. TF101's been out a long time.

That bug was (is) a hardware failure / design issue and not something "common knowledge" would indicate since, again, this is not a USB problem in general, and other devices (including fixed original TF101s) don't have a problem with battery loss sleeping / powering off when docked.

This is not a "UNIQUE DOCK NOT GENERALLY USED BY THESE TYPES OF DEVICES", it's the dock ASUS sells to go specifically and exclusively with this device :confused:

I don't know, but it just sounds like you're beating up the guy for not having the "common knowledge" to not use the thing he bought in the way it's marketed to be used. But then again he did buy an ASUS tablet so maybe you have a point.

Edit: FYI USB host, device, and dual-role OTG port state is triggered by termination and applied voltage and the OS manages this as well as battery state. There is no reason to (permanently and unalterably) embed those things that need to be tweaked/optimized/customizable in hardware.

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-could-hit-retail-stores-this-thursday-20120710/

Office Depot will be having the Nexus 7 (16GB) in-store starting on Thursday, apparently.

As much as I wouldn't mind ordering direct from Google...The Office Depot around here is a decent place with awesome employees so I might just have to support them and buy it there if this is true.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Which store has the best return policy for tablets (longest return time, no restock fee)? I think i'll pick a nexus 7 up at a B&M place rather than google play.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

Which store has the best return policy for tablets (longest return time, no restock fee)? I think i'll pick a nexus 7 up at a B&M place rather than google play.

Best Buy.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Ah yeah, 30 days is pretty good, thanks.

Haven't heard any news of them selling the nexus 7 though? Edit: Oops, found some articles saying they are.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

revolther posted:

Dollars to donuts I bet if he unplugged them from each other at night, the problem would go away or at least give us more info to solve. Maybe this.

I don't think its a 'faulty' dock. With the setting enabled the tablet doesn't wake up when pressing keys. Also the dock isn't draining faster than the tablet like the article points out. According to the battery widget they're both using battery at the same rate. I read elsewhere that the 'defective'/unsupported docks had serial numbers beginning with B50K or B60K, mines a B70K, and as it doesn't wake up when pressing buttons I guess it's one of the 'good' ones.

The next full charge it gets I'll make sure to leave them detached overnight and see if I still get the same amount of draining. As you say, with them attached but switched off, the dock probably things its in use and is 'charging' the tab for no reason. I'll also see what happens when leaving it in standby rather than powering off too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mister Fister posted:

Costco has a 90 day return policy but they seem pretty haphazard about what tablets they'll carry and when.

I just returned my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 after 65 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

revolther posted:

Also, go into wireless settings, then the advanced menu, and tell everything to turn off while sleeping, make sure in dev settings(same area as usb debugging options in settings) it's not set to keep awake during charging, because that will most likely be triggered by the usb connection too.

Then use something like Greenbattery/power whatever it's called, to make a power profile that turns off all your radios whenever the sleep is engaged or screen turns off.

Give his post another read. He's essentially turning it off, or as "off" as any device with a momentary switch to trigger power can get

Pinny posted:

I don't think its a 'faulty' dock. With the setting enabled the tablet doesn't wake up when pressing keys. Also the dock isn't draining faster than the tablet like the article points out. According to the battery widget they're both using battery at the same rate. I read elsewhere that the 'defective'/unsupported docks had serial numbers beginning with B50K or B60K, mines a B70K, and as it doesn't wake up when pressing buttons I guess it's one of the 'good' ones.

The next full charge it gets I'll make sure to leave them detached overnight and see if I still get the same amount of draining. As you say, with them attached but switched off, the dock probably things its in use and is 'charging' the tab for no reason. I'll also see what happens when leaving it in standby rather than powering off too.

The problem with the early docks was that they stayed in a standby state waiting for you to type, and would trigger the tablet to wake. The newer ones have a setting that lets you turn that feature off.

Please report back your "detached" findings.

Pinny posted:

One of the guys I work with mentioned something about batteries and android mis-reporting their charge if they don't get fully discharged and recharged properly. Thing is its been fully charged and not re-charged until its flat nearly all the time, as it runs flat when powered off and I end up having to fully charge it nearly everytime I want to use it.

No. The full-discharge/full-recharge myth was about nickle-cadmium batteries and it hasn't been true for decades. There are other myths about wiping your battery stats to get more life, but it hasn't been proven to do much. To the contrary, your battery's processor uses that data to estimate run time. An empty lithium-based battery is never emptied to the point that a Ni-Cd would be, because a dead lithium can't be charged once the voltage drops past a certain point.