Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Brainamp posted:

I did say I wasn't happy with how they turned out dude. I plan on going back through and editing it heavily. If I'm not mistaken that is the point of a test post is to make mistakes and to rectify them later. Thanks for me making me feel bad about myself, though.

If there were problems with it that you were aware of, then why were they not fixed so we could concentrate on the other problems? To be fair, technical problems like heavy interlacing or video glitches that would require a re-record can be acceptable in a test post, but subtitles are entirely added in the 'post-production,' so to speak. So if that is what you are putting out here for our consumption, that is what I will critique.

Also, just a side note: if you aren't happy with it, what makes you think the viewers will be?

Brainamp posted:

However, please show me a good example of a sub-lp that you want me to emulate if you have one.

I wouldn't suggest emulating anyone or anything, except what your English teachers told you. (Also, I know there are a lot of non-English speakers on this forum, so if English is not your first language, then I hereby rescind my mockery. I don't know a second language and I am always impressed when I come across foreigners who speak considerably better English than I do.)

The only thing I wanted to show you were the other test posts for Bioshock that have gone by that have done it better and still not been remotely watchable, but I can't seem to dig them up.

So, if you think you can produce something worth looking at and something that you are happy with, give that a try and come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Magnetic North posted:

If Niggurath is willing to dig up his two previous test posts for Sub-Bioshock, they could serve as an object lesson as to the nuts-and-bolts requirements. Both of those put in the requisite amount of work, and I still thought they were not good enough to watch (each for different reasons.)
Sadly I tried looking for it, but I think I ended up getting rid of it (which is a bit weird considering I still have a few other random test posts I never went through with). I definitely know what you mean though because I think when I did that Bioshock test post I was fairly certain that I was a bit rusty in the subtitles department and also in the 'shutting the hell up' department. That lack of practice on both regards probably didn't help things. Really if I ever tried again it would probably be voiced since I still feel a tad lacking in the subtitle department. I could probably do a bit better now, but to be more on topic to Brainamp's test post.

Brainamp posted:

Bioshock test post
Magnetic North has brought up a few things regarding the subtitles that I share his opinion with, mostly in your choice at times to go with sentence fragments. Such as near the beginning when you use a subtitle for the word 'Still' and then finish the thought in the next subtitle. I assume you want to get across an air of caution and uncertainty, but it just reads a bit oddly to me at least to just see 'Still' by itself. That whole sentence fragmentation seemed to go throughout the subtitles and was a bit off-putting, it just made my brain think you weren't capitalizing things or missing punctuation. And a few of the subtitles were just a bit quick, but that can be a pain to plan out properly really. Just giving yourself more of a buffer there might help.

In regards to the way you moved through the level though, it seemed a bit like you were rushing. I understand the want to get a sense of urgency outside in the water, but when you're actually in the tower and the music starts playing you don't really stop to look at the wall engravings or take in anything (or when you do it's almost just a quick cursory glance). Or that scene with the mother and the crib; I thought for a second you'd let the mood sink a bit more and let the scene play out a bit more, but nope...I don't know, it might just be me. Also turning on the in-game subtitles would be nice; I don't know about the sign subtitles though, I could take or leave those.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath and Magnetic North posted:

Helpful stuff

I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I get nervous at stuff like this when it is my first time. I've noted what you said about the subtitles reading oddly and I'm redoing them as I said. I know that the ellipses were a bit overused, I'm going to cut back on them heavily in the next test post. I also wasn't sure how periods would fit in some of my shorter sentences. The reason for why I didn't turn on the in-game subs is because they blot out a large portion of the bottom of the screen when they appear. Though I might turn them on just to see if they are too intrusive or not.

I mostly wanted to get a test post out first to see what I should be looking for when I make my actual videos, so I should work on slowing down and writing out my subtitles properly. I truly do want to lp this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fedule posted:

"Are We not entitled to Play Bioshock?"

There's your title, by the way. :v:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Brainamp posted:

Also I'm having trouble deciding over the Title. I plan to go with What is a Man? Any suggestions?

I've always been partial to A Man Chooses, A Slave Let's Plays!

EDIT: But oh, right, spoilers. It's too bad, really.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Buster Busts Loose!

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! is an action-platformer released for the SNES in North America by Konami in 1993 that heavily borrows from the show for art as well as content. The game follows Buster Bunny around stages that are either loosely or totally based on plotlines from the TV series. The gameplay's primary gimmick is the dash, which allows Buster to run quickly on the ground as well as up walls.

The game has a lot of heart in spite of superficially appearing to be a generic platformer and is one of my favorites. The art style is great, the gameplay is fun, even the dialog occasionally produces a laugh (unlike us).

This is going to be a challenge run. There are three levels of difficulty: Children (Easy), Normal, and Challenge (Hard). You start each stage in Challenge mode with one heart and are limited to two additional health increases from there. Challenge mode also alters the stages in subtle ways to become more difficult. I'm going to collect every Crystal Carrot (HP upgrade) and show off some of the glitches/quirks in the game.

The game features cameos of characters having between small and large importance to the series. I assume most viewers are familiar enough with the main cast, so I'm going to show clips from episodes relating to the enemies in the stage (similar to Studio's Warner Brothers Games LP). Also because the show legit still holds up.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Brainamp posted:

I plan to go with What is a Man?

A miserable pile of plasmids!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

judge reinhold posted:

Buster Busts Loose!
I played that game an awful lot. It might have even started my love of fast-paced platformers with dash moves. Your clip interjections are a fantastic idea and I think they fit very well.

That said...I think you should tell your one guest to shut up more often. Listening to you trying to explain how the boss fight works (which took kid me ages to figure out because you can actually hit him and it LOOKS like it deals damage, but the only way to win is feed him) while he constantly makes incredibly unfunny "LOL ANOREXIA" jokes was...painful. Nothing against a really bad joke once in a while, I make those all the time, but dear God, at least shut up when your friend is trying to make a point, you're NOT THAT FUNNY.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Simply Simon posted:

at least shut up when your friend is trying to make a point, you're NOT THAT FUNNY.

Yeah, this. Judge Reinhold has to slap his bro once in a while. Y'know just a simple "no seriously dude shut the gently caress up I'm explaining," if you're really bros he won't get all offended and poo poo, he'll understand.

The clips are interesting supplementary stuff but you might wanna divide those out of the video itself and if you're going Youtube put 'em in those popup note links ("CLICK HERE for the video!"). The show was part of my childhood but while I think the game itself is cool and I wanna see it on account of having wanted to play it as a kid but never getting the chance to, I have no interest in the video clips.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

I played that game an awful lot. It might have even started my love of fast-paced platformers with dash moves. Your clip interjections are a fantastic idea and I think they fit very well.

Thanks, I was most concerned about the clip intermissions and whether or not they work. I'll pass on the notice to the other two.

The White Dragon posted:

The clips are interesting supplementary stuff but you might wanna divide those out of the video itself and if you're going Youtube put 'em in those popup note links ("CLICK HERE for the video!"). The show was part of my childhood but while I think the game itself is cool and I wanna see it on account of having wanted to play it as a kid but never getting the chance to, I have no interest in the video clips.
Not sure how that will work since we'll make jokes or at least reference the clips in the video themselves, plus I don't think you can do things like that anywhere else but youtube, and I'd like to have a mirror... But it is something I hadn't considered before. I'll mull it over. Thank you!

I guess maybe the youtube version could link, and the blip version could be integrated? Hmm....?

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 7, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nah, keep the clips. It's not like your video's running overly long because of them, and it's actually kinda neat to see where the enemies were pulled from.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

judge reinhold posted:

Buster Busts Loose!

Oh wow, it's been forever since I've even touched this game. Keep the clips; they're a really nice touch.

Simply Simon posted:

I think you should tell your one guest to shut up more often. Listening to you trying to explain how the boss fight works while he constantly makes incredibly unfunny "LOL ANOREXIA" jokes was...painful.

This... to the max. I don't think it was that bad of a joke, but it didn't need to go on for a whole minute and a half.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Wow, didn't think they were that bad. I'll look into re-recording the Dizzy bit and "futureproofing".

Appreciate the feedback, all.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

judge reinhold posted:

Wow, didn't think they were that bad. I'll look into re-recording the Dizzy bit and "futureproofing".

Appreciate the feedback, all.

In addition, to me, it is frustrating when the Boss' name is said right at the door, and the Commenter called him Taz the whole time. If it was meant to be a joke, I just don't get it, but, seriously it was a disconnect of about 5 seconds and he couldn't remember Dizzy instead of Taz?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Brassherald posted:

In addition, to me, it is frustrating when the Boss' name is said right at the door, and the Commenter called him Taz the whole time. If it was meant to be a joke, I just don't get it, but, seriously it was a disconnect of about 5 seconds and he couldn't remember Dizzy instead of Taz?

I think the joke is he's the Tiny Toons version of Taz.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Brassherald posted:

The joke is that Dizzy Devil is the tiny toon analog of the Tasmanian Devil, much like Hampton is of Porky Pig. That is the joke.

I thought it wasn't that bad. The video looked fine, the audio levels were good, and the clips weren't too intrusive. He showed off some secrets and is good at the game. In terms of commentary, my standards aren't necessarily super high for an SNES platformer. It wasn't amazing, but it didn't really offend me. There's certainly been worse that people have found acceptable.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
Let's Play Battle Moon Wars! (OP and first update)

This is my first time really trying something like this. I'm screenshotting at default resolution as PNG, then converting to JPG at 85% quality for size reasons. Are they overly large? Am I too wordy/simplistic during the gameplay section? I wanted to get the uninteresting basics all out of the way during the first map, leaving the more interesting parts for the next couple of missions, which are similarly short. The videos are kind of blurry; I'm almost certain that's a problem with Youtube, is it something significant enough I should try consulting the tech support thread to get sorted out?

:ohdear:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I hope you've got a plan for transcribing the dialogue, or you're probably going to burn out. Then again BMW is a pretty tedious game at times (aka until about halfway through) so you might burn out anyways. :v:

Anyways, how do you intend to deal with the massive amount of backstory you need to know for the game to make sense? BMW kind of assumes you're already familiar with the base games and only barely explains a lot of important stuff (Mystic Eyes, the Grail War, Shirou's abilities, Nasuverse vampires, the Tohno family, Nanaya, etc) You're going to have to summarize Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya, Melty Blood, F/SN, F/HA, and F/Z somehow, and while I'm sure there are quite a few people willing to type up effort posts for you it's still going to be a massive mess.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 8, 2012

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyways, how do you intend to deal with the massive amount of backstory you need to know for the game to make sense? BMW kind of assumes you're already familiar with the base games and only barely explains a lot of important stuff (Mystic Eyes, the Grail War, Shirou's abilities, Nasuverse vampires, the Tohno family, Nanaya, etc) You're going to have to summarize Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya, Melty Blood, F/SN, F/HA, and F/Z somehow, and while I'm sure there are quite a few people willing to type up effort posts for you it's still going to be a massive mess.

Good lord, that sounds horrifying to cover.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Fetucine posted:

Let's Play Battle Moon Wars! (OP and first update)

This is my first time really trying something like this. I'm screenshotting at default resolution as PNG, then converting to JPG at 85% quality for size reasons.

Did you? I looked at several and they all still look like pngs to me with no signs of jpeg compression. I did a test: your image(png, 266kB), 90 quality jpeg (93kB), 85 quality jpeg, (70.6kB). I personally like the 90 quality best, but I'm just nitpicking at that point, 85 still looks fine.

quote:

The videos are kind of blurry; I'm almost certain that's a problem with Youtube, is it something significant enough I should try consulting the tech support thread to get sorted out?

If they look fine before you upload them, yeah, it's most likely youtube. You can get better video quality out of youtube by hitting at least 720 vertical pixels of resolution (so a minimum of 960x720 for your videos). This way you hit the HD rendering chain and everything looks better.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BlitzBlast posted:

I hope you've got a plan for transcribing the dialogue, or you're probably going to burn out. Then again BMW is a pretty tedious game at times (aka until about halfway through) so you might burn out anyways. :v:

I get the feeling at least a third or more is going to be glossary posts and intricately detailed flowcharts dealing with how each character relates to the other, both in their own games and this one. Not to mention the injokes and references to outside shows. It's an LP I'd personally love to see, but oh holy gently caress is it going to be a clusterfuck and a half.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The translator actually left documentation on how to open and edit everything in the game's data, aside from things stored in the exe, for which I think you'd need a hex editor. So, I've got a text dump for when I get into the really wordy parts.

BlitzBlast posted:

I was planning to do character bios/background along with some of their canon art in the bonus material section of the chapter they appear in. Though for maps where more than two or three people show up at once (the map where Takumi and Haruna meet back up comes to mind, as does Shirou's intro chapter) I would probably do a separate update to cover just that stuff. I'll probably do similar extra updates to talk about stuff like the Grail Wars and Nasuverse vampires/demons when they become relevant.

Explosionface posted:

Did you? I looked at several and they all still look like pngs to me with no signs of jpeg compression. I did a test: your image(png, 266kB), 90 quality jpeg (93kB), 85 quality jpeg, (70.6kB). I personally like the 90 quality best, but I'm just nitpicking at that point, 85 still looks fine.

:doh: I converted them and then uploaded the originals. I changed the way I was storing pictures, so it shouldn't happen again, and uploaded/swapped in the converted images. So it should be fixed.

Explosionface posted:

If they look fine before you upload them, yeah, it's most likely youtube. You can get better video quality out of youtube by hitting at least 720 vertical pixels of resolution (so a minimum of 960x720 for your videos). This way you hit the HD rendering chain and everything looks better.

I'm not sure how to go about doing this. So far as I know, 640x480 is BMWs' only resolution, so I'd have to resize after capture. Would that mess up quality as badly as Youtube already is?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I get the feeling at least a third or more is going to be glossary posts and intricately detailed flowcharts dealing with how each character relates to the other, both in their own games and this one. Not to mention the injokes and references to outside shows. It's an LP I'd personally love to see, but oh holy gently caress is it going to be a clusterfuck and a half.

Well I think I've got a program for making flowcharts...

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Brassherald posted:

Long story short, I have internet but packed away my hard drives with all footage and really don't want to dig through boxes to get them only to need to repack everything in less than 2 weeks. So, question is, should I try and put something together for the two weeks that is not Call of Juarez as like a bonus, or should I just let it sit as originally planned?

Late on this but seeing as how I just got back from vacation myself (after letting my LP wither and gasp for life while I was playing Diablo 3), it's not a big deal. Most people are pretty good about understanding about things coming up or just not really feeling compelled to record or whatever. If anyone bitches, just kindly tell them to stfu, but I really don't ever see that happen as long as the OP posts in the thread and explains the situation (even if, as in my case, it's just to say that you're a lazy sack of poo poo)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2302

An actual op and a much better video in my opinion. I worked on slowing down to actually look at Rapture and making subs that weren't quite so useless. I've been told that I note one or two obvious things, though they are fairly minor.

Again, please tell me if I missed anything or if I should try to improve something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Brainamp posted:

Again, please tell me if I missed anything or if I should try to improve something.

My complaints are considerably more minor this time around. Some of your commentary is not up for long enough, or comes up in the middle of an action sequence. If you must comment while heavy action is happening, just make sure it's nothing important so it doesn't matter when someone misses something. Sometimes the commentary isn't terribly strong, but at least you aren't covering the game in it. Knowing when to let it speak for itself will be key to maintaining the atmosphere.

Also, to continue my grammar school :spergin:, 'assuade' isn't a word. I think you are looking for "assuage." Of course, that could be the type of occasional typo that just happens, but proofreading is a big part of these videos. For my Sub-VLPs, I watched it once before and after encoding to make sure as possible that I didn't leave in any errors.

Otherwise, this is a marked improvement. I might not watch, but I can now fathom (see what I did there) that people might.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Magnetic North posted:

My complaints are considerably more minor this time around. Some of your commentary is not up for long enough, or comes up in the middle of an action sequence. If you must comment while heavy action is happening, just make sure it's nothing important so it doesn't matter when someone misses something. Sometimes the commentary isn't terribly strong, but at least you aren't covering the game in it. Knowing when to let it speak for itself will be key to maintaining the atmosphere.

Also, to continue my grammar school :spergin:, 'assuade' isn't a word. I think you are looking for "assuage." Of course, that could be the type of occasional typo that just happens, but proofreading is a big part of these videos. For my Sub-VLPs, I watched it once before and after encoding to make sure as possible that I didn't leave in any errors.

Otherwise, this is a marked improvement. I might not watch, but I can now fathom (see what I did there) that people might.

Thanks, I'm still new at this so the pacing is hard for me to judge. I don't want it to be me just walking around looking at everything in the game, as I would be doing normally but that doesn't translate so well to other people's entertainment I would think. As for the speed of the subs that is mainly my fault. I am a very fast reader, which, again, makes it hard to judge how other people see it. Also yes, I see what you did there.

Another thing, what would you guys recommend as a good bitrate to encode at?

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Okay so I went about removing the white noise in my Emperor's Tomb video and figured I'd better run it past the Sandcastle one more time before I make the thread. There's still a bit of noise in the background, but it's nothing compared to what was there before.

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - Test Video

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I don't know if it's been happening more lately or if I'm just hearing it more from viewers, but it seems that some people are having trouble viewing some videos hosted on Youtube (something about the video is nothing but a black screen with a time of 0:00). In most cases, the viewer was in the HTML5 beta and it wasn't working for them. If you're having trouble viewing Youtube-hosted videos, go to this link to opt-out of the HTML5 beta and try again.

(If you're still having trouble and you aren't in the HTML5 beta, then I don't even know).

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Brainamp posted:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2302

An actual op and a much better video in my opinion. I worked on slowing down to actually look at Rapture and making subs that weren't quite so useless. I've been told that I note one or two obvious things, though they are fairly minor.

I enjoyed this quite a lot actually. I hope your commentary will also be about the plot, characters, themes and such, as well as the game mechanics. I'll definitely follow this LP though :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MeccaPrime posted:

I don't know if it's been happening more lately or if I'm just hearing it more from viewers, but it seems that some people are having trouble viewing some videos hosted on Youtube (something about the video is nothing but a black screen with a time of 0:00). In most cases, the viewer was in the HTML5 beta and it wasn't working for them. If you're having trouble viewing Youtube-hosted videos, go to this link to opt-out of the HTML5 beta and try again.

(If you're still having trouble and you aren't in the HTML5 beta, then I don't even know).

This is why I opted out of the HTML5 beta. That player still has way too many issues to be useable on a daily basis.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

njsykora posted:

This is why I opted out of the HTML5 beta. That player still has way too many issues to be useable on a daily basis.

The player does exactly what it says on the tin, which (unfortunately, depending on your perspective) includes playing back videos encoded with H.264. The problem is that Firefox cannot possibly support H.264: it's proprietary a license and costs a couple of million dollars. A nonprof like Mozilla can't really drop that on niche features. Hence, no Youtube HTML5 videos for anyone using Firefox.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Edit: Yeah, the beta uses WebM as well and the videos encoded with that do indeed work in Firefox. Problem is you can't opt in to only those, or at least Youtube doesn't encode everything to WebM yet. I don't really know what the goal is. Basic problem is that if you use FF and opt in you will at the moment get videos that the browser does not and cannot support.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought they re-encoded videos into WebM format for the HTML5 player?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

MeccaPrime posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, I was confused why all of a sudden I was having trouble watching most Youtubes, I wonder if they turned it on without input. It's kind of a dick move since the only browser that supports all the HTML5 video formats is Chrome.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 10, 2012

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SupSuper posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, I was confused why all of a sudden I was having trouble watching most Youtubes, I wonder if they turned it on without input. It's kind of a dick move since the only browser that supports all the HTML5 video formats is Chrome.

See, the problem I have is that html5 is forced on in chrome, and it both looks and runs like poo poo for me. I've had to get a user agent changer and set YouTube to see chrome as ie8.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SupSuper posted:

Yes, they turned it on without asking you. Based on a random cookie, you will sometimes be forcibly enrolled in their HTML5 beta. This happened to me too a while ago and I was also wondering why I now have problems with Youtube (among other things that HTML5 videos do to you is that it's no longer possible to maximize Youtube player full screen; in HTML5 it only expands to fill your browser window). Finally I found that opt-out page (link posted before) and suddenly all my problems vanished. Deleting all youtube cookies probably accomplished the same thing (i.e. getting you out of the lovely beta that they forced you into).

Conclusion: HTML5 video has quite a way to go before it can displace flash. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fixed up video issues, recorded the first couple of updates for X6, friend and I commentated over them. Here's an OP to present those videos. Anything noteworthy I should add and/or fix with the OP/the videos? (note: Episode 02 has far more gameplay than the first one)

quote:

Working thread title -- A Franchise Burned to the Ground: Let's Play MMX6 & X7!

Mega Man X6 and X7 are bad video games. Watch at your own risk.

Mega Man X5, to me, was not a great game. However it did what it needed to do-- end the Mega Man X series. Capcom, of course, was looking for a quick cash grab and went on to make Mega Man X6 behind Keiji Inafune's (the creator of Mega Man) back and pushed it out onto shelves less than a year afterwards. The game reeks of great ideas implemented terribly, horrid level design, poorly thought-out story elements, and artificial difficulty on par with a fanmade ROMhack.

X7 is even worse.

Of course, I will be going out of my way to 100% both games (armor pieces, health tanks, subtanks... reploids).

Joining me on this descent into madness is my good friend WhiffleballDude. We've both played our fair share of Mega Man games though he's never played X6 or X7. Nonetheless, he knows what a good Mega Man game should consist of. As far as spoilers are concerned, there either isn't a whole lot to spoil or what there is I just don't care too much about. For the most part I ask you guys to use good judgment what to and what not to talk about for the sake of keeping things interesting for those uniformed about the games but I'm not about to go policing every post.

For those of you who'd like to see more of the MMX games and their respective plots, you should check out Zarah's X1-5 LP. WhiffleballDude and I will be drawing comparisons from the older games from time to time so a rough knowledge of the games that came before these is advisable.

VIDEOS

Episode 01
Episode 02

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 11, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The first episode was a bit boring (although that's probably the game's fault), but the second one was fine. Video quality is fine except I noticed some minor deinterlacing artifacts (Dr. Light capsule), dunno if you can fix those.

Although, I would suggest increasing the game audio volume, it was a bit hard to hear the music.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Oh God I hate MMX6. The badass design of the Shadow Armor was its only redeeming factor for me. I'll definitely be watching this LP. One thing that I have to sperg over though, and that is that Izzy Glow from X5 was a firefly, not a dragonfly.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

God help me, thread is a go-go.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495180

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The first episode was a bit boring (although that's probably the game's fault), but the second one was fine. Video quality is fine except I noticed some minor deinterlacing artifacts (Dr. Light capsule), dunno if you can fix those.

Although, I would suggest increasing the game audio volume, it was a bit hard to hear the music.
Yeah, first episode is fifteen minutes long and literally only about 1.5 minutes of that is gameplay. Adding to that, the plot of X6 is bad but not in the so-bad-it's-funny bad so it's just boring overall. That's why I went out to get two updates ready for the mock OP so I could show what an episode consisting of actual gameplay would be like.

I can definitely turn up the game volume a bit (I always aim for the volume being a bit low because I'd rather hear "can you turn it up a bit, please" over "I can't hear a thing you're saying"), but as for Dr. Light I have no idea what I can do with that. It's one of those things where the sprite is flickering every frame or so.

• Locked thread